Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      03-23-2020 08:33 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Very true. The roads I get to explore are amazing, and the ones I know well are some of the best I've ever driven.

Drive those same roads for 20 years, and you might have a different opinion about the 86, but I hear what you're saying. Everyone likes what they like. Hushy loves his BRZ, it would personally drive me up the wall, yet his BRZ and my SS flow down a road at the same pace. Different approach to the same goal of having fun. He hasn't died climbing a hill from a lack of torque, and I find the SS usable even with almost 500 hp, so not everything TCL says about power is correct.
      So are your cops just lazy or what? They are on all paved roads here, period. You cannot drive even an 86 on stock tires hard without risking jail time.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      03-23-2020 09:15 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      So are your cops just lazy or what? They are on all paved roads here, period. You cannot drive even an 86 on stock tires hard without risking jail time.
      The goal is not to hammer the straightaways, but pound the corners.

If you come out of a corner and get up to 90-120mph you ease off if itís a long straight. Next corner gets close, you get some proper speed built up so you can brake and rotate and have some fun, rinse and repeat.

The roads around here are all 55MPH roads, with lots of 25mph (suggested) corners. So if you hit one of those at 55-70mph youíre just barely speeding if speeding at all.

Thatís the beauty of the mountains, do high speed runs happen? Absolutely, but when things get really twisty these guys are not running double the speed limit.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

4. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-23-2020 09:26 PM #78
      The NE is not good

That said I don't think public roads are the place to explore a car's dynamics at 90-120 MPH, regardless of police absence

I totally get it, because I can't really enjoy a car unless I'm finding its limits. But I don't think public roads are the place to do it

5. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      03-23-2020 10:08 PM #79
      Yeah we don't have "really twisty" in paved 2-lane roads. We have sweepers that are only fun at road course type speeds, 50+ mph at the apex in a 35-55 mph zone. Probably 80+ to be any fun in a new Evora. You come out of one of those at 115 and you're going straight to jail.

6. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      03-23-2020 10:37 PM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      The NE is not good

That said I don't think public roads are the place to explore a car's dynamics at 90-120 MPH, regardless of police absence

I totally get it, because I can't really enjoy a car unless I'm finding its limits. But I don't think public roads are the place to do it
      Closest track to me is at least 250 miles in any direction.

Closest AutoX is at least 2.5-3 hours away (100-150 miles).

If you own a fun car here and you want to drive it, the track isnít really an option. I donít cross yellow and while I may move rapidly I donít see the danger if you keep your wits about you.

Gotta remember, these roads are quite literally in the middle of nowhere in rural Arkansas. Entire counties with populations of less than 3,000 people. You have to quite literally look for traffic once you leave town.
      Instagram - efrie004

maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

7. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-23-2020 10:59 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Closest track to me is at least 250 miles in any direction.

Closest AutoX is at least 2.5-3 hours away (100-150 miles).

If you own a fun car here and you want to drive it, the track isnít really an option. I donít cross yellow and while I may move rapidly I donít see the danger if you keep your wits about you.

Gotta remember, these roads are quite literally in the middle of nowhere in rural Arkansas. Entire counties with populations of less than 3,000 people. You have to quite literally look for traffic once you leave town.
      I guess if you're not really putting anyone in danger but yourself it's not too bad. But I am an eleven tents aholic. I'm only happy in a car at its limits

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

8. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      03-23-2020 11:01 PM #82
      I feel like you keep posing the question, and I keep answering it. I go to areas that the cops don't patrol, and avoid the areas that they do. The mountains around the bay area are massive. If you aren't causing a scene, it's not worth their time to drive to the middle of nowhere to wait to see who is going to come by. That's a waste of a day. They'll to pick off 1 every 15 minutes in the high traffic areas that I avoid, and because it's unsafe to have fun there. Why find me going 60 in a 45 mid corner when you can grab a liter bike going 100 mph on a straight 10 miles away? Trust me, they choose to grab the sport bikes and idiots doing triple digit speeds near parking lots.

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      The NE is not good

I don't drive those speeds, and public roads are not where you find your personal limit, or your cars limit. It's about dancing it down a road while leaving room for surprises. To do otherwise is a date with a tree.

Yeah we don't have "really twisty" in paved 2-lane roads. We have sweepers that are only fun at road course type speeds, 50+ mph at the apex in a 35-55 mph zone. Probably 80+ to be any fun in a new Evora. You come out of one of those at 115 and you're going straight to jail.
      That's not where I'd do anything with the Lotus. No thanks. Let me string 2nd and 3rd gear corners together in rapid fire on a road that connects an old barn to an abandoned house.
      Last edited by Sold Over Sticker; 03-23-2020 at 11:04 PM.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. Iíll be there, front row.

9. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      03-23-2020 11:35 PM #83
      I keep asking because you never actually answer. Post a video or at least a map of these mythical roads with no enforced speed limits that you can safely drive flat out on in an extremely capable Lotus.

We don't have that anywhere East of the Mississippi. Roads with super tight corners, if they're paved at all, are 1.2 lanes wide with no center line and trees blocking the view through nearly every corner so it is 110% reckless to drive hard on them even if there were no cops... but there will be cops. If you don't kill yourself, you will go to jail.

I can't believe that you have personal racetracks available all over. You have to be exaggerating. CA is awesome enough already without it being Adult Disneyland 24/7 for free with no risk. That's just rubbing salt in the rest of the world's wounds.

10. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      03-24-2020 12:07 AM #84
      I keep asking because you never actually answer. Post a video or at least a map of these mythical roads with no enforced speed limits that you can safely drive flat out on in an extremely capable Lotus.

We don't have that anywhere East of the Mississippi. Roads with super tight corners, if they're paved at all, are 1.2 lanes wide with no center line and trees blocking the view through nearly every corner so it is 110% reckless to drive hard on them even if there were no cops... but there will be cops. If you don't kill yourself, you will go to jail.

I can't believe that you have personal racetracks available all over. You have to be exaggerating. CA is awesome enough already without it being Adult Disneyland 24/7 for free with no risk. That's just rubbing salt in the rest of the world's wounds.
      Ever watched The Smoking Tire with Matt Farrah? He does those on you guessed it, deserted mountain roads. They exist. They're a thing. Plenty of TCL'ers have gone driving with me, seen me drive, been in my car when I've driven, and can attest that I'm not lying that it's possible to go for spirited drives in California without getting killed, or going to jail. It's been my hobby for the last 20 years. Just because your brain isn't registering it doesn't mean I am exaggerating.

This is NOT me. Just a video I found of one road I enjoy, with some total tool bags driving, and doing it very, very wrong (crossing double yellows, going slow mid corner, then gunning it on straights). People like these idiots are the ones that draw attention from the cops.

Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. Iíll be there, front row.

11. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      03-24-2020 12:40 AM #85
      Ever watched The Smoking Tire with Matt Farrah? He does those on you guessed it, deserted mountain roads. They exist. They're a thing. Plenty of TCL'ers have gone driving with me, seen me drive, been in my car when I've driven, and can attest that I'm not lying that it's possible to go for spirited drives in California without getting killed, or going to jail. It's been my hobby for the last 20 years. Just because your brain isn't registering it doesn't mean I am exaggerating.

This is NOT me. Just a video I found of one road I enjoy, with some total tool bags driving, and doing it very, very wrong (crossing double yellows, going slow mid corner, then gunning it on straights). People like these idiots are the ones that draw attention from the cops.

So tons of cyclists, driveways/intersections, and low visibility corners but you go ahead and run flat out anyway with no consequences? You're lucky to be alive.

Yeah we don't have that here. Any road remotely like that is narrow with no centerline and it's full of potholes (or unpaved). And there are cops. Cops everywhere.

12. 03-24-2020 12:54 AM #86
      So tons of cyclists, driveways/intersections, and low visibility corners but you go ahead and run flat out anyway with no consequences? You're lucky to be alive.

Yeah we don't have that here. Any road remotely like that is narrow with no centerline and it's full of potholes (or unpaved). And there are cops. Cops everywhere.
      We get it dude, it sucks to drive where you live. Itís not like that everywhere. California and most of the west are FULL of great driving roads with minimal downsides.

13. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      03-24-2020 01:31 AM #87

You sound like youíd be fun at parties.
      Instagram - efrie004

03-24-2020 01:40 AM #88
      Here is a still photo of me and Sold Over Sticker (in the Vololvo!) driving on one of those mythical roads

15. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      03-24-2020 02:30 AM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Here is a still photo of me and Sold Over Sticker (in the Vololvo!) driving on one of those mythical roads

So many driveways!
      Instagram - efrie004

16. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      03-24-2020 02:38 AM #90

Honest question. Are you projecting your misery on to me, or would you like an actual response from me? Based upon our prior interactions, I feel it's more like you hate where you live and where you're at in life, and honestly, I can't unpack those feels with a few posts about NorCal roads.

Depending on the answer, it's either those guys in that video violated right place right time, and if it's the other, it's because I'll never convince you otherwise. Lemme know.

Cars
      987.2 | GTI
      03-24-2020 03:50 AM #91

from hushy.
      I look amazing in this pic.

18. 03-24-2020 03:54 AM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      He is not dreaming about wanting a 200hp/ton car. His dreaming part is want such a car for CHEAP... Like $35k - 50k cheap. This is the typical American out of touch about car price. American have been blessed with cheap car price for too long and made them delusional about car price today. Ask yourself: how much can you American shell out for a 200hp/ton sporty car??

Let me give you a reference before you answer...
      Alpine A110: 2432lb, 250hp. Price: Ä66,500 ($75000US)

Alfa 4C: 2315lb (dry), 237hp. Price: $67000 US starting

USA is NOT a main market for "light weight sport car" for DECADES. This is why cars like Alpine A110 and Lotus Elise/Exige are not selling in USA (and Can). While those heavy (and old) 700hp Charger/Challenger are selling like hotcake in USA.
      I never mentioned anything about price, only the power to weight ratio I consider fun for a road car. Also I'm not American nor do I live in the USA. Over here our cars prices are about the same for an A110 and 4C respectively but people in general earn much less so vehicles in general are even more expensive relative to average income. The current 370Z and something like the 86/BRZ are hilariously overpriced considering something like the tech heavy M2 is similarly priced.

The USA also has cheap petrol, relatively good roads and wide open spaces to enjoy heavy, powerful V8s. Horses for courses and all.

What's interesting is how some American enthusiasts lament the lack of such lightweight, low-powered cars in their market but when they become available, the criticisms are usually: "not enough power, too slow"

Back to the new Z, the current formula is a good one and they should stick to it: manual, simple, NA engine, affordable (in some markets) and relatively light (just under 1500kg?), giving it a power to weight ratio of around 226hp/ton. Perhaps shaving a bit of weight and updating the engine offerings (low and high power options) might be the way forward?

19. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      03-24-2020 05:41 AM #93
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Witness relocation program has never looked so good.

20. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      2018 F150
      03-24-2020 07:38 AM #94
      Are you cirrus?
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

Cars
      GLE350 4Matic
      03-24-2020 07:53 AM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post

Looks a bit like the roads heading up to the NC mountains. Used to have quite a bit of fun with about 240hp in a GLI up there. Itís probably a little tighter and a little more difficult to make use of power in NC.

I get the love of 450hp. Iíd take it if I could get it. But it isnít a requirement for most people that arenít using a stopwatch and just looking to have a little fun. Itís important that itís a reasonable car the other 99% of the time when weíre never leaving second gear during our commute to work.

Cars
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      03-24-2020 08:12 AM #96
      We don't have that anywhere East of the Mississippi. Roads with super tight corners, if they're paved at all, are 1.2 lanes wide with no center line and trees blocking the view through nearly every corner so it is 110% reckless to drive hard on them even if there were no cops... but there will be cops. If you don't kill yourself, you will go to jail. .
      This is not true at all. Ever driven the Tail if the Dragon and the dozens of long, twisty backroads in that general vicinity? There are many many roads in that area that are fun and you can go rapidly (Tail itself is actually a bad example because, though fun, is more popular and full of traffic). https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/all/ Here is just an example: https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/diamondback-226/

But even in my backyard here in northern MD there are a lot of fun, twisty technically challenging roads with little to no traffic that are very similar to the mountain roads Sold over Sticker is talking about. I have 3 of them within 5 miles of where I live that I drive on regularly. Look just like the picture above.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

23. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-24-2020 09:19 AM #97
      I look amazing in all pics. *hides behind keyboard*

Witness relocation program has never looked so good.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Are you cirrus?
      Are you a dad? Because that's his joke.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

24. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      03-24-2020 11:10 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      This is not true at all. Ever driven the Tail if the Dragon and the dozens of long, twisty backroads in that general vicinity? There are many many roads in that area that are fun and you can go rapidly (Tail itself is actually a bad example because, though fun, is more popular and full of traffic). https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/all/ Here is just an example: https://tailofthedragonmaps.com/diamondback-226/

But even in my backyard here in northern MD there are a lot of fun, twisty technically challenging roads with little to no traffic that are very similar to the mountain roads Sold over Sticker is talking about. I have 3 of them within 5 miles of where I live that I drive on regularly. Look just like the picture above.
      I ran TOTD once. Was hitting 100 mph in a 30 mph zone between some of the corners, real smart. Admittedly some of the corners are tight enough to be fun at 30, but if you have 400 hp you will be entering them at at least twice that. The other fun roads in the area are generally more open, if you want to actually drive something fast on them you'll be seeing 120+ easy. I sold my Z06 after catching myself doing 150 on some fun KY roads.

Maybe I just have a different idea of "spirited" driving. If you're spending most of your time coasting instead of being hard on one of the pedals, that isn't spirited to me.

25. Member
      Cars
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      03-24-2020 11:17 AM #99
      Quote Originally Posted by Taco1933 View Post
      Looks a bit like the roads heading up to the NC mountains. Used to have quite a bit of fun with about 240hp in a GLI up there. Itís probably a little tighter and a little more difficult to make use of power in NC.
      I sure do miss the mountain roads in Western NC. They were perfect. Most of them that I was on had a speed limit of 50mph and it was difficult to even get up to 50mph. When I first got the 911 I'd drive hours to get there from Charlotte and even further to get there from Raleigh a couple years later. I'd start in the morning and drive a couple hours to get to the twisties and then drive non-stop for 6 or 7 hours and then drive back home at dark. I met some nice car guys along the way while I was there. No need to even speed! Trying to maintain 45mph through the twisties there even with sticky tires was challenging. Sure you might be able to hit 65 on a small straight but mostly it was just very technical tight corners linked one after the other. Sort of a driving nirvana.

26. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      03-24-2020 11:38 AM #100
      I ran TOTD once. Was hitting 100 mph in a 30 mph zone between some of the corners, real smart. Admittedly some of the corners are tight enough to be fun at 30, but if you have 400 hp you will be entering them at at least twice that. The other fun roads in the area are generally more open, if you want to actually drive something fast on them you'll be seeing 120+ easy. I sold my Z06 after catching myself doing 150 on some fun KY roads.

Maybe I just have a different idea of "spirited" driving. If you're spending most of your time coasting instead of being hard on one of the pedals, that isn't spirited to me.
      So you being a reckless idiot was somehow projected onto me. Got it. Just because you irresponsibly went 150 in your Z06 doesnít make me the same kind of knob. Your post explains the type of driving that I donít tolerate, and thatís bombing straight aways. There is zero need for that, and itís massively unsafe. Get the car up to the speed it needs to be at to get the rotation you want on the brakes into the next corner.

If you say a tight corner is fun at 30, you WILL NOT need to go twice that speed if you have 400 hp. Cornering speed and horsepower have zero correlation. Why would you even make that statement, as its 100% false.

I might just be slow on the uptake but it slowly sounds to me like you have zero idea of what youíre doing and how to safely have fun, so Iím over discussing this topic with you. If you ever make it to NorCal PM me and weíll go for a run; itís slowly becoming a TCL tradition to go on a fun run with me so you can see that you can have fun linking 2nd and 3rd gear corners, not bomb straights (plus there arenít many to bomb on the right roads), and be safe.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast