Fourtitude.com - Bay Area folks under 'shelter in place': are you going for a drive?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    1. 03-20-2020 12:02 AM #51
      I've been to three stores today looking for distilled water, and all the stores have sold out of it.

Who is hoarding and drinking distilled water?! I literally just need one gallon for my coolant. So much for being on lockdown. Doesn't stop all the dumb people from hoarding everything.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      03-20-2020 12:06 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Raguvian View Post
      I've been to three stores today looking for distilled water, and all the stores have sold out of it.

Who is hoarding and drinking distilled water?! I literally just need one gallon for my coolant. So much for being on lockdown. Doesn't stop all the dumb people from hoarding everything.
      You still have tap water, right?
      You can make your own distilled water at home...
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

4. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-20-2020 09:52 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      You still have tap water, right?
      You can make your own distilled water at home...
      Beat me to it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      03-20-2020 10:54 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      If you're into excellent sushi + ______ combinations, you're going to need to come out to the SFV and try King's Burger/Got Sushi? once this is all over. I've been eating there for 20 years. The sushi component was added maybe 10 years ago when the owner's son quit a bunch of high-end sushi places and opened up his own place in his dad's restaurant:

D*** that is making me hungry!

Cars
      2013 Audi S5, 1967 Ford Mustang (i6/3 speed)
      03-20-2020 11:47 AM #55
      I really hope you are not talking about the White House press briefings...
      There was/have been "Bay Area" press briefings from the 6 counties Health Officers and the Mayor of San Jose and Mayor of Oakland. That is where I saw the official shelter-in-place order first.

Update: I drove to the shop today and besides very light traffic for rush hour, there were plenty of cars on the road. Now of course these could be essential workers going to their essential businesses. Not trying to justify anything.

What was interesting - the shop is located in a kind of mall plaza, and there seemed to be employees parking in the back of mall parking lots to go to what I am *assuming* are restaurants doing takeout. I think its a safe assumption that the mall is closed and retail locations are closed.
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      Depends if I'm trying to maximize exit speed to get to the end of col-de-sac a few tenths quicker.

7. 03-20-2020 12:05 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Ciderian View Post
      There was/have been "Bay Area" press briefings from the 6 counties Health Officers and the Mayor of San Jose and Mayor of Oakland. That is where I saw the official shelter-in-place order first.

Update: I drove to the shop today and besides very light traffic for rush hour, there were plenty of cars on the road. Now of course these could be essential workers going to their essential businesses. Not trying to justify anything.

What was interesting - the shop is located in a kind of mall plaza, and there seemed to be employees parking in the back of mall parking lots to go to what I am *assuming* are restaurants doing takeout. I think its a safe assumption that the mall is closed and retail locations are closed.
      There's a lot of "essential" businesses out there.
      UPS stores, restaraunts, home improvement stores, etc.

Gamestop is trying to call themselves an essential business.
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

8. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      03-20-2020 12:32 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      There's a lot of "essential" businesses out there.
      UPS stores, restaraunts, home improvement stores, etc.

Gamestop is trying to call themselves an essential business.
      One of the stores I consult in wanted to keep the retail side open too. That’s the side I consult in. I was like yeah no, going home, this is BS and you know it. They closed the retail side the next day.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

9. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-20-2020 12:38 PM #58
      I've been tracking the number of cases in Santa Clara County which is the worst hit in the Bay Area and also where I live. To keep apples to apples I'm basically running these numbers every 5 days starting in March. Check this out..

Date: Total cases
      1/31: First case
      3/1: 7
      3/5: 20 (+185%)
      3/10: 45 (+125%)
      3/15: 114 (+153%)
      3/20: 189 (+65%)

That's a huge improvement. Using the average % increases seen for the previous weeks I was expecting 290 cases by today. I would attribute this not only to Shelter in Place but the massive number of people who started to work from home the week prior.
      Last edited by chucchinchilla; 03-20-2020 at 12:40 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

10. 03-20-2020 01:06 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I've been tracking the number of cases in Santa Clara County which is the worst hit in the Bay Area and also where I live. To keep apples to apples I'm basically running these numbers every 5 days starting in March. Check this out..

That's a huge improvement. Using the average % increases seen for the previous weeks I was expecting 290 cases by today. I would attribute this not only to Shelter in Place but the massive number of people who started to work from home the week prior.
      Are you going by date of infection, or date of detection?
      - CDC is listing it by date of infection, not detection, so their dates and counts rise weirdly.
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

Cars
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      03-20-2020 02:03 PM #60
      I really hope you are not talking about the White House press briefings...
      If he's watching those, he would have said he's "avoiding news ENTIRELY"
      I liked when our local bay area stations pre-empted that disinformation campaign with ACTUAL news when the 6 bay area counties issued shelter-in-place.

Good. Now they will stop moving to Texas.
      No time's a bad time for a lame overused trope.

They were sayin' that **** about Californians "ruining" my home state of Washington when I was a wee lad in the early 80s. They're still saying it now. One thing is consistent, everyone wants to blame someone else

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post

Glad to hear it. I work in Santa Clara County (though they sent us home 2 weeks ago and we've been working remote) and my wife is an essential health care worker at Valley Medical Center. She says the traffic's been great, roads are empty.. so that's one benefit OTOH even pre-coronavirus we were probably averaging 85mph on our carpool commute to work so I dunno how much faster she's driving now!

I've been mostly tracking nationwide and state-by-state numbers, glad we're seeing some impact. I think things will keep increasing regardless, as tests become available, they're STILL super-hard to get. But we've been pretty aggressive about addressing this in the region so hopefully within a week or so, we'll start seeing if those efforts are paying off at all.

Nationwide, it looks like we could be surpassing Italy's caseload within a week or so :-/

https://covid-19.splunkforgood.com/c...rus__covid_19_
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

03-20-2020 02:07 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      "Sir, I'm just heading to the pharmacy... in Truckee"
      I rode my motorbike to a landscapers once. The guy said "Usually people bring pickups"
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Cars
      Hopes and Dreams
      03-20-2020 02:11 PM #62
      Not familiar with the rules over there but can you drive around or do you have to stay on your property?

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      03-20-2020 02:22 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Car Problems View Post
      Not familiar with the rules over there but can you drive around or do you have to stay on your property?
      See page 2.

15. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      03-20-2020 02:29 PM #64
      Gamestop is an essential business.
      Seems there are plenty of people stuck at home right now that would agree with that statement.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      03-20-2020 02:57 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Thankfully the Evora is on the tender. It’s built into the car. Because Lotus.

Cars
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      03-20-2020 03:00 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Car Problems View Post
      I haven't read the statewide shelter-in-place order, but my understanding is it's basically the same as my county's order was.

It's VERY sweeping and basically says stay 6ft from anyone you don't live with, stay at home, no transport including public transit, bicycles, etc. Totally locked down.

THEN you get to the exceptions. There are explicit exceptions for "necessary services" which of course includes health care and groceries but covers auto repair shops and bike shops and, frankly, a massive number of businesses.

THEN the exceptions for "health related activities" which explicitly allows for "by way of example but not limited to" walking, running, hiking, etc and certainly includes cycling. In the press conferences they *specifically* told people to get out and enjoy, but just don't come too close to anyone you don't live with.

On top of all that, the governor basically said "law enforcement can limit you if necessary, but come on, be cool, nobody wants that, we're not trying to enforce anything here".

In my experience, there are more people out and about cycling/scootering/running/walking/etc. In the neighborhoods I feel like I see more people on foot than in cars; I've been out running or biking every day of the past week. They're just all being reasonable, lots of people wearing masks, etc. I did our weekly grocery run before a meeting this morning, and the grocery store had a lot of folks in masks and gloves (though less than 50%).
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

Cars
      2018 Tesla Model 3, 1988 BMW M5
      03-20-2020 03:02 PM #67
      Drove to Santa Cruz and back yesterday to bring my daughter home from college. You would never know, based on the number of cars on the road and people out and about, that those counties were in "Lock Down." People are not taking this seriously. On the brighter side, anyone panic buying over fear of supplies running out should have been on south bound I5. So many trucks! Costco is not going to run out!
      Last edited by rlfletch; 03-20-2020 at 11:39 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Fritz27 View Post
      Mercedes typically makes awful manual transmissions and fantastic auto transmissions. Choosing the stick would be like saying, "Y'know, that Natalie Portman is pretty hot, but if she grew some hair on her legs and had a dong, she'd be just right."
      Quote Originally Posted by jnm2.0t View Post
      Was it parked on the curb on garbage day?

Cars
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      03-20-2020 03:33 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by rlfletch View Post
      Drove to Santa Cruz and back yesterday to bring my daughter home from college. You would never know, based on the number of cars on the road and people out and about, that those counties were in "Lock Down." People are not taking this seriously. On the brighter side, anyone panic buying over fear of supplies running should have been on south bound I5. So many trucks! Costco is not going to run out!
      Yeah I am heading to get my daughters stuff from her college dorm as well. 3 day notice. All state colleges here are online now for the rest of the semester.

20. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      03-20-2020 03:59 PM #69
      Are you going by date of infection, or date of detection?
      - CDC is listing it by date of infection, not detection, so their dates and counts rise weirdly.
      Detection. These are *known* cases which of course is dependent on people taking the tests which is why I wouldn't consider this the only data point to consider, but definitely noteworthy and definitely needed in a time where we could all use some good news.

Cars
      1974 MGB; 2017 Golf Sportwagen S 4-Motion DSG; 2017 Audi A4 Premium+, Sport+ MT
      03-20-2020 04:12 PM #70
      I had to pick up dog food today and there were way too many people out and about given the State's Order of yesterday. The county order here doesn't go in the effect until midnight, but the state order is more expansive and already in effect.

That being said, there was zero traffic all week and my 25 mile commute each way was taking 30 min instead of the usual hour 30. Maybe this is how we beat climate change....
      how come a transvestite donkey witch is next to you and why is it wearing a dress?

Say 'what' again. Say 'what' again, I dare you, I double dare you mother****er, say what one more goddamn time!

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      03-20-2020 04:30 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by what View Post
      I had to pick up dog food today and there were way too many people out and about given the State's Order of yesterday. The county order here doesn't go in the effect until midnight, but the state order is more expansive and already in effect.

That being said, there was zero traffic all week and my 25 mile commute each way was taking 30 min instead of the usual hour 30. Maybe this is how we beat climate change....

Earth to us: "I'll take it from here."

03-20-2020 04:40 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      Earth to us: "I'll take it from here."
      Ny wife shared this with me-> https://abcnews.go.com/International...ry?id=69662690

I fold her that this only proves Humans are the nastiest virus on Earth
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

Cars
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      03-20-2020 07:16 PM #73
      That's the tough part for me. I know I'm going to go stir crazy. I'm on day 1.5 and I know I'll lose my mind and need to leave the house at some point. Nobody on the walking path behind my condo is walking 6' apart from strangers, so I feel like if they're not taking this seriously do I have to? I mean work from home was an extended weekend to most people and restaurants and bars were full recently.

Buuuut, this thing is serious. I feel like I can easily tell a LEO to pound sand if I get stopped while going for a run, but I also feel like I just could easily get a flat, meet someone who has it, spread it to someone if I have it and don't know, etc.

It's just not worth it. I'll do my part and keep contained. I have the rest of my life to pound the mountains.
      If you look at the current trends, you guys are outpacing Italy's early days for new cases. Not good.

Take care of yourselves and take it seriously.
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

Cars
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      03-20-2020 07:32 PM #74
      and catch up on Letterkenny.
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

26. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      03-20-2020 08:39 PM #75
      Gah, late afternoon update to the numbers so I need to update mine. Not a huge difference but still doing this for future reference..

3/20: 196 (+71%)

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast