Fourtitude.com - Bay Area folks under 'shelter in place': are you going for a drive?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
      Cars
      1975 280Z/2012 Maxima SV/2012 Chevy Cruze eco
      03-29-2020 11:58 AM #201
      I bit the bullet and drove to the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday. Used gloves at the gas pump and carried a few disinfecting wipes just in case. Tanked up on 93 octane I was off. There were a few more cars than I expected, quite a few people fishing for trout alongside the river parallel to the roads. Stopped at an overlook walked a round a little, not prepared for a full on hike. Kept a 15 -20 ft distance from anyone up there. Two especially, acting strangely the lady giving play by play of me taking a few pics of the view and the Z. Being seriously annoyed by the weirdos killing my fun hopped in the z and headed home.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

03-29-2020 12:43 PM #202
      Meanwhile, in Kentucky.........

Quote Originally Posted by Courier Journal
      Street racers hit the asphalt Saturday despite scolding from [Mayor] Fischer and COVID-19 concerns

A day after Mayor Greg Fischer criticized "hundreds" at a large gathering at a street racing event in Louisville, the races continued on Saturday night before stormy weather entered the area.

Around 40 to 50 people were in attendance to watch various cars race at the corner of 13th and Breckinridge streets in downtown Louisville.

While there were only a handful of races between 9:45 p.m. and 10:45 p.m., a number of cars took turns speeding down the street alone, showing off their horsepower as people watched and recorded on their phones while sitting on, around or in their vehicles.

Louisville police eventually showed up shortly before 11 p.m. and everybody left.

Amid the COVID-19 pandemic, Fischer, Gov. Andy Beshear and many others have asked for large gatherings in public places to end. The latest update from Beshear showed Saturday had the highest one-day spike in confirmed cases, 92, pushing the state's total to 394.

More: How is Kentucky doing on social distancing? Here's what a new database says

Also: How to report people who are breaking social distancing rules amid coronavirus

"Let me just say here, young people: Rebellion is a normal instinct and thinking that you're immune from any kind of damage. The virus doesn't care about that. Science doesn't care about that. The virus is coming for all of us. It's just looking for an opening," Fischer said during a Facebook live video on Saturday.
      https://www.courier-journal.com/stor...er/2935098001/
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

4. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-29-2020 01:20 PM #203
      Speaking of driving during the quarantine....
      Last week my wife and I were sitting down for some dinner when we heard some massive tire screeching. We both got up and raced out to our balcony to see a black E36 M3 coupe and an F30 chasing it. They were doing a lap around the block chasing each other. Both teens. Both were giving it massive gas while making turns at intersections to swing the tail out. I told my wife that kid is going to crash that car, not in a grumbly "damn kids driving too fast!" way but in a very matter of fact way because I've seen too many Mustang/CnC videos. A couple days later I saw the same E36 M3 in another part of town and the kid was doing the same thing, driving way too fast and flooring it while turning a corner to swing the back out, ironically right in front of the DMV.

Fast forward to yesterday and I spotted the car in a driveway under a car cover and it had clearly been wrecked. I could tell by the way it sat on the driveway and also because the LF wheel was sitting next to it, assembly still attached, all covered in mud. Did some quick searching on CL Auto Parts section and voila!

Posted Thursday..
      got in a crash yesterday. brakes failed me on skyline and ended up hitting the side of the mountain and getting air then sliding on the side of the car.

exterior is obviously pretty ****ed
      interior is immaculate, vaders look brand new, steering wheel, dash, shift knob shift boot etc are all ok

look through the photos and message me if you need something in particular and we can work a deal out, don’t really want to type everything out on here

i do believe the engine and trans are intact but i haven’t check yet, will update asap

price on listing isn’t real, just a price to list it at
      Note he made two posts in CL on this..
      https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts...100394811.html
      https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/pts...099483549.html

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Cars
      19 GLI S, 17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      03-29-2020 01:21 PM #204
      My county proclaimed a stay at home order, last Tuesday beginning 8am.
      Governor comes along after and declared last Friday a stay at home order for the state....to begin tomorrow at 5PM.
      I mean that as in why wait? Why not immediately?

In any case, I contemplated a trip up to the tail of the dragon as I just put summers back on the Golf. But it's 2 hours just to get to Pisgah, and another 2 to get to Deal's Gap.

So I took it out this morning to Uwharrie for a little bit of fun, which is much closer, but less entertaining. Some deer, turkey, and vultures, made it a bit more exciting here and there. This is the bible belt, but since no church, it was pretty damn empty.

I did not leave the car at all. If anyone is concerned about social distancing.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

Cars
      03-29-2020 01:34 PM #205
      Quote Originally Posted by bificus99 View Post
      I bit the bullet and drove to the Blue Ridge Parkway yesterday. Used gloves at the gas pump and carried a few disinfecting wipes just in case.

I always keep a towel in my cars (Hitchhiker's Guide thing).
      Been using that to grab the pump handle for recent fill-ups.

Went to a Home Depot recently (usually I go to lowe;s), seems they redesigned their U-Scan things. Now, to scan you HAVE to grab a scan gun. You cannot simply wave the thing through the scanner. I commented "I have to grab that?", and the attendant, wearing gloves, did it for me.

As for the touch screen - I use my pinky knuckle.
      As for the keypad I use the flip out key on my fob to press the buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      "Fecking Awesome" ? Damn Straight!

If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

Cars
      987.2 | GTI
      03-29-2020 02:03 PM #206
      Warning: driving like a douche may lead to failed brakes.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      03-29-2020 02:05 PM #207
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Meanwhile, in Kentucky.........

"Let me just say here, young people: Rebellion is a normal instinct and thinking that you're immune from any kind of damage. The virus doesn't care about that. Science doesn't care about that. The virus is coming for all of us. It's just looking for an opening," Fischer said during a Facebook live video on Saturday.
      Well, at least he learned from the other guy and didn't call them Millennials.

Quote Originally Posted by S1ack View Post

So that everyone can rush and buy 6 months' worth of TP.

9. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      03-29-2020 02:49 PM #208
      Swapping the garage around to put the Lotus on the side away from the entrance door. While I had it running I caved and took it for a quick loop.

Some thoughts since I haven’t been outside since the shelter in place order started. It’s kinda business as usual out there. Looked like a normal Sunday except there were more people walking and less people driving.

People were walking like idiots. Three times I came across people who were either walking or jogging in the middle of the traffic lane.

It was nice to get out. Now I’m just sitting in it making vroom vroom noises.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      03-29-2020 02:59 PM #209
      The kid that binned it on Skyline is the type of dude that ruins things for the rest of us smh.

I'm waiting for weather to clear up before I take the car out this afternoon...

11. 03-29-2020 03:10 PM #210
      Dang, poor M3, it looked pretty clean.

I've been running a few times a week and I've noticed a lot more people drag racing up and down the streets, as well as people running red lights, even though there's a lot more people walking or jogging on the sidewalks and crossing streets.

BTW I'm one of those people who end up zigzagging and running on the road if the sidewalks are busy. Even yesterday while it was raining there were people outside walking.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      03-29-2020 03:39 PM #211
      The local CHP posted a picture on the FB account of a kid that got caught doing 116mph in what looks like a Cayman GT4.

A couple of days later, when it was raining, the same CHP posted a pic of the same kid in the same GT4 flipped over and totaled on a a local canyon road.

No one was hurt, but the point being that everyone thinks it's a free for all out there when it comes to driving fast, and they incorrectly assume that the local highway patrol is also sheltered in.

Cars
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
      03-29-2020 03:56 PM #212
      Another good reason not to go out. If I weren't at home I'd be driving Skyline every day as part of my commute, and I'd guess he probably binned it in the same place that everyone else does, on the downhill section driving away from 9. I have to drive 236 and 9 to get to the grocery store, so I have an excuse.

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      03-29-2020 04:46 PM #213
      $6000?

That car is worth nothing as-is. Maybe some parts.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

15. Member
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      03-29-2020 05:16 PM #214
      Quote Originally Posted by SLVRon View Post
      Another good reason not to go out. If I weren't at home I'd be driving Skyline every day as part of my commute, and I'd guess he probably binned it in the same place that everyone else does, on the downhill section driving away from 9. I have to drive 236 and 9 to get to the grocery store, so I have an excuse.
      When I was on Skyline the other day, my wife was with me, and she hates driving fast. I was doing 50-ish the whole time, just enjoying the scenery and freedom. I got passed by just one car, a light colored 991 Carrera, prob doing 85-90. Going the other direction (north on 35 into La Honda), my wife commented on at least 5 cars driving very fast. Three were BMWs, one Mini Cooper, and a Mercedes G Wagon, fer chrissake. There was also a Ford pickup hauling butt up Bonny Doon Rd. With that said, the road was surprisingly empty, with no bicyclists on the road.

Cars
      03-29-2020 08:34 PM #215
      Returned from a quick jaunt down the 1 towards Half Moon Bay and looped back. I have to say it was really nice to get out of the house after more than a week. I wouldn't say traffic was particularly sparse on the 1, though just about every possible beach access and vista point has been cordoned off, preventing vehicular entry. The local gendarme was also on patrol, looking to break up any large congregation of people/cars.

What wasn't so nice was the proper freeways: because of the tremendous decrease in number of cars on the road, plenty of drivers were going way beyond 90+ MPH. Scary stuff indeed when I'm trying to merge on at a nice pace. For better and worse, the modern car is too stable at triple-digit speeds, luring people into a false sense of security.

17. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      03-29-2020 09:30 PM #216
      I just drove...1 mile in total.

That’ll likely be it for this next week.

Back in the garage it goes.

Cars
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      03-29-2020 10:07 PM #217
      Quote Originally Posted by S1ack View Post
      My county proclaimed a stay at home order, last Tuesday beginning 8am.
      Governor comes along after and declared last Friday a stay at home order for the state....to begin tomorrow at 5PM.

In any case, I contemplated a trip up to the tail of the dragon as I just put summers back on the Golf. But it's 2 hours just to get to Pisgah, and another 2 to get to Deal's Gap.
      I heard from folks out that way that lots of roads to the Dragon are closed? Maybe just closed except to locals? Pretty surprising since that's not even anything they're doing out here in CA.

Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      Warning: driving like a douche may lead to failed brakes.
      Seriously, is there another car on this planet that's HARDER to crash than an E36 M3? One of the most docile, well-mannered, predictable cars out there.

Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      The local CHP posted a picture on the FB account of a kid that got caught doing 116mph in what looks like a Cayman GT4.

A couple of days later, when it was raining, the same CHP posted a pic of the same kid in the same GT4 flipped over and totaled on a a local canyon road.
      Oh man, please please please please track that down.

I wouldn't say I'm going stir crazy, been out almost every day to go for a run; last weekend for a beer carryout, thursday I supported a local restaurant by doing a takeout lunch.

My wife has to work though so she's driving in every day. Roads are pretty dead up here, seems like. Glad to see most people are taking it seriously. It doesn't take everyone sitting indoors and never doing a thing, but as many as people staying as still as possible, interacting with others as little as possible, and being prudent about staying clean. I'm optimistic and generally happy with how people are acting
      Supercar owners: If your housekeeper can afford to register their car in your state, so can you.
      We've got an amazing country; don't like the taxes in your state, you can just move. How many other countries have this freedom?

Cars
      2013 Audi S5, 1967 Ford Mustang (i6/3 speed)
      03-31-2020 03:51 PM #218
      Well after two weeks of shelter-in-place and not leaving my apartment, I decided to go for an essential trip to Costco for fresh food. I got the exhaust, coilovers, and drive-train mounts (transmission and rear diff inserts) installed on the S5 two Fridays past, so I was really itching for this. The exhaust sounds great and I am so happy how it turned out. The ride on the car is solid - maybe a little bouncy but its not a daily. Shifts are extremely crisp and the "float" on the clutch pedal is completely gone. I am not really sure what the rear diff mounts have done, as I have no reference point for how they should change the feel under normal driving conditions - never had them on a car before.

My route for this essential trip included some roads around Mount Diablo. Along the way I found a really nice office/executive chair seemingly abandoned for trash on the side of the road. The chair was nearly mint.....I still can't figure out why it was thrown on the side of the road. 5 minutes and 4 screws later, I now have an extremely comfortable chair to shred hours of Xbox. I dropped that off and continued on my loop. If you have a lowered car I highly recommend you do not take the north half of Morgan Territory road (northern half of the trip to: Morgan Territory Preserve Staging Area). It looks like it should be a fun spirited drive but it is in fact one lane and very narrow. The road surface is badly in need of repair. I scraped the bottom many times and it was extremely slow going.

Regardless, it was a great drive and the rain held for most of the afternoon, and provided some wonderful "sunlight breaking through the clouds" moments. The green grass was beautiful! Here are some pics. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!

Back in the house until the next time I need to break out for some essential goods
      Quote Originally Posted by McBanagon View Post
      Depends if I'm trying to maximize exit speed to get to the end of col-de-sac a few tenths quicker.

Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      03-31-2020 04:12 PM #219
      slightly on topic; since the big lockdown, roads and highways are almost completely empty, especially at night. From my house, you can kinda hear the highway since we're pretty close and now it's deafeningly quiet...except a couple times early in the morning, you can hear some well-tuned high-revving V8 doing a couple high-speed passes at, what sounds like, 200++ km/h. Pretty illegal...but pretty cool.

hey, as long as they aren't being dangerous, i'm liking it.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

Cars
      03-31-2020 04:21 PM #220
      Quote Originally Posted by Ciderian View Post
      If you have a lowered car I highly recommend you do not take the north half of Morgan Territory road (northern half of the trip to: Morgan Territory Preserve Staging Area). It looks like it should be a fun spirited drive but it is in fact one lane and very narrow. The road surface is badly in need of repair. I scraped the bottom many times and it was extremely slow going.
      If you're scraping then there's no hope for me.

Thanks for sharing!

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      03-31-2020 04:30 PM #221
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      slightly on topic; since the big lockdown, roads and highways are almost completely empty, especially at night. From my house, you can kinda hear the highway since we're pretty close and now it's deafeningly quiet...except a couple times early in the morning, you can hear some well-tuned high-revving V8 doing a couple high-speed passes at, what sounds like, 200++ km/h. Pretty illegal...but pretty cool.

Haha I've noticed the same, I can usually hear a light hum from the nearby highway and it's quieter than usual now. Except for the occasional speed run from some built import cars and street bikes. Can't help but grin at the braaaaaps.

23. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-31-2020 04:31 PM #222
      Date: Total cases
      1/31: First case
      3/1: 7
      3/5: 20 (+185%)
      3/10: 45 (+125%)
      3/15: 114 (+153%)
      3/20: 196 (+71%)
      3/25: 459 (+134%)
      3/30: 848 (+85%)

Again this is reported cases in Santa Clara County which I'm following closely because it has the most cases in the Bay Area and also because I live there. As we know reported cases=/= total cases however I again see this as somewhat positive news. There are also articles out there now proclaiming the Bay Area is bending/flattening the curve. Not out of the woods yet but at least it's not going bat **** crazy like elsewhere.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      03-31-2020 04:38 PM #223
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post

Depends which highway. On the 20, probably ok. On the Met, that's suicide.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Cars
      03-31-2020 04:50 PM #224
      Quote Originally Posted by Ciderian View Post
      Along the way I found a really nice office/executive chair seemingly abandoned for trash on the side of the road. The chair was nearly mint.....I still can't figure out why it was thrown on the side of the road. 5 minutes and 4 screws later, I now have an extremely comfortable chair to shred hours of Xbox.

I'll guess.

Fudgy farts rendered it too stinky?
      Roaches infesting the padding?
      COVID-19 positive guy wipes boogers under the armrests?

Seriously. Ballsy Move.

Either way, let us know if a reason for it's abandonment can be ascertained. (Once your sense of smell returns that is).

26. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      03-31-2020 08:05 PM #225
      Date: Total cases
      1/31: First case
      3/1: 7
      3/5: 20 (+185%)
      3/10: 45 (+125%)
      3/15: 114 (+153%)
      3/20: 196 (+71%)
      3/25: 459 (+134%)
      3/30: 848 (+85%)

Again this is reported cases in Santa Clara County which I'm following closely because it has the most cases in the Bay Area and also because I live there. As we know reported cases=/= total cases however I again see this as somewhat positive news. There are also articles out there now proclaiming the Bay Area is bending/flattening the curve. Not out of the woods yet but at least it's not going bat **** crazy like elsewhere.
      There's some good news coming out. UCSF said that they haven't gotten overrun yet like they were expecting. While the counties locking down were prudent, I'm still of the belief that emptying the tech companies had a gigantic impact and that happened well before the counties reacted. Hooray for the private sector.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast