Fourtitude.com - What car projects would you tackle in quarantine?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
      Cars
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      03-17-2020 02:40 PM #51
      I realized that I unwittingly became a Sparco fanboy - didn't intend to, just happened that way. Finally getting through my parts stash for the Mk2 race car (plus mocking up the steering wheel fit with my E36 wheel)

On the mechanical front, I've been swapping boosters/master cylinders/pedals to figure out which combination works. Originally thought I needed to keep the Mk3 2.0 booster with the Mk3 2.0 master that I have, but it has a different pedal plunger (ball-type vs. clevis) than the Mk2/Passat style brake pedal. So I swapped to the Mk3 brake pedal but that won't work with the Passat pedal cluster I'm running. So I swapped back to the Mk2 booster - it should work with the Mk3 master because it's a later style booster - and put the Mk3 master cylinder on.

Why did I go through the trouble? Not only does the Mk3 reservoir have the provisions for a hydraulic clutch - Mk2 is cable operated, and while there are 02A/02J cable conversion kits out there, I haven't heard great things about them - but I also want to run these babies:

I had saved the calipers from the VR6 Jetta that I parted 5 years ago. I got a set of Mk3 2.0 hubs, 11" Corrado rotors, and these DE calipers to go on the front of the race car to upgrade from 9" to 11" front brakes. Rears were already converted to disc at some point. May do a Mk4-style rear caliper conversion sometime in the future.

Also tackled the easiest subframe bushing removal on the M3. Poly bushings out, poly bushings going in.

Left the job at that last night because I went looking for the install instructions, or at least figure out which bushing goes in front, which half goes on top, etc. Got a response this morning from my buddy who installed these same bushings on his E36 - "I think they have it engraved on the side of the bushing but I'll have to check."

Turns out he was right...durr. I'm debating whether to paint the subframe, but this car isn't getting a resto (at least not now...famous last words) and if it was good enough in my old car, it's good enough in this new one. But I'm a "while you're in there" kind of guy, so I'm torn. I have a can of POR-15 coming for the Silverado frame, maybe I'll use the leftovers on this, but I also don't want it sitting in the way for much longer - I'm focusing on making the car a roller and getting the old engine and trans out this spring.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      81 Rabbit, 85 Gti, 94 Jetta, 87 Gti16V, and 01 Gti.
      03-17-2020 03:05 PM #52
      Stevo12 nice to see you're still doing work on Mk2's!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Cars
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 19 GLI S, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      03-17-2020 03:24 PM #53
      Minor stuff for the Skyline. Maybe a trailer hitch for the Focus. Also getting some proper tools.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

Cars
      Danger Ranger
      03-17-2020 03:25 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
      If you are interested in selling your current gauges let me know. Sweet R32!
      thanks, but i am keeping these to use in another project

Cars
      13 Golf TDI, 09 Speed Triple, 06 RX8, 02 M3, 98 C2500, 94(98) CP Camaro
      03-17-2020 06:24 PM #55
      1. Finish replacing the transmission in the 05 MDX so I can sell it
      2. Finish replacing all the bushings on the truck
      3. All new brakes on the RX8
      4. Fix the headliner, AC, and weatherstripping on the M3
      5. Finish gutting the Camaro. If this goes on long enough where the 2020 season won't happen, start pulling the motor back out and gather parts for the 5.1L build

I already have the parts laying around for everything except for rotors/calipers on the RX8 but I haven't had the time. I also need to re-seed the lawn and install new gutters on the house too.

Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5
      03-17-2020 07:33 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      I realized that I unwittingly became a Sparco fanboy - didn't intend to, just happened that way. Finally getting through my parts stash for the Mk2 race car (plus mocking up the steering wheel fit with my E36 wheel)

I had Sparco seats, wheel and pedals in my MkIV. Not because I was fanboy but just because that's what the only race shop anywhere close to me carried. They all served me well.

Today I took a couple of hours in the afternoon to swap the roof box and snowboard carriers for bike trays on my roof rack. I had to fab up a shelf in my shed to store the roof box as I had just picked it up earlier this winter.

Cars
      2013 5.0 F-150 1966 MGB 1988 VW Fox Wagon
      03-17-2020 08:21 PM #57
      I'm taking time to finish engine and interior work on my MGB. After that, trying to figure out a stumbling issue with my fox.
      (sheriff)Early, I though you said this was a drug possum.
      (Early) Sure, I drug him from the ditch.
      (sheriff) I wish you told me that before you sold him to me.

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      03-18-2020 09:40 AM #58
      I'm doing the same projects I was doing before quarantine... Currently in the middle of a vr6 rebuild for our corrado (and swap to coilpack obd1 vs the early distributor setup). Then doing a clutch in my CC since the stock clutch slips with an APR Stage1+ tune.

Cars
      '92 Jetta 2.1L 16V '08 Mazda3 GT '19 Ram Sport
      03-18-2020 10:09 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by JOHNS92JETTA View Post
      I have a few Lego car builds I should start.
      Well, today's the last day at work for 2 weeks. Precautionary measures.
      InstaGram J92Jcarpic 100% Stance Free

11. 03-18-2020 01:45 PM #60
      Well, all the odds and ends that I ordered through Amazon for the timing chain are not getting here till next week. I guess Amazon has slowed down quite a bit.

Now I need something to do in the mean time.

12. 03-18-2020 01:50 PM #61
      Also have a few legos I want to build, but my sister's kids keep urging me to build

But I want to swap cylinder heads on my integra, that means I need to see if the machine shop is still open...but I am almost certain my oil burning issues seem to be coming from the intake and exhaust valves. Damn this is going to cost me

Cars
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      03-18-2020 08:54 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by NeverEnoughCars View Post
      I have been itching to convert my golf to electric. Maybe the extra oil production will bring down the cost of ev parts...
      That or finally get around to setting up the garage in the new house.
      Ooooh, if you do I definitely want to follow that conversion thread.

You could say it's relevant to my interests.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      03-18-2020 09:32 PM #63
      I'd love to get some time to work on the black Scirocco, it needs:

- sound deadening install
      - new carpet install
      - heater core replacement
      - A/C expansion valve replacement
      - heater control vacuum check (there's a leak somewhere)
      - all coolant hoses replaced, I'm going to silicone
      - seat heater + oem wiring install
      - seats upholstered
      - crack-free dash install

...and a good wash.

And then I'd move on to the Rabbit.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

15. Member
      Cars
      2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design
      03-19-2020 10:33 AM #64
      This needs everything....

It's a father son project that got dropped off last Saturday, the plan is to simply make it a nice car to drive around in. But, it last ran 20 years ago and needs a ton of work, most of which I have no idea how to do. Still, will be some great memories with my son, we'll both get to learn a whole bunch and at the end of it he gets a cool car.

Other than that, like some others posted cleaning out the garage is something I have been wanting and needing to do for a while.

Cars
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      03-19-2020 12:08 PM #65
      If this WFH thing gets extended, I'm ordering the suspension and brakes for the ****box Mitsubishi.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Cars
      Random Junk
      03-19-2020 12:55 PM #66
      Nothing car related but my house and yard look immaculate!
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Cheapest way to 9s is to buy someone else's 8 second car, then drive it yourself.
      Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
      Elevation down two clicks, windage left two clicks. Send it.

18. Senior Member
      03-19-2020 01:17 PM #67
      I bought front brakes (rotors, pads, hardware) for my 2014 Escape last fall. Inner pad low. 70,000 miles on the front pads. Decided I could get through the winter.

Need to get a set of A/S tires for my stock, summer rims and take off the snows soon. Will do the brakes at that time.

Just deciding which tires to get.

Also need to get the Moke inspected. Never got it inspected in 2019, and the hack garage in 2018 didn't know how to find it in the computer even thought I kept telling them to just scan the inspection sticker.
      Last edited by Cooper; 03-19-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Cars
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      03-19-2020 02:58 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by naiku View Post

It's a father son project that got dropped off last Saturday, the plan is to simply make it a nice car to drive around in. But, it last ran 20 years ago and needs a ton of work, most of which I have no idea how to do. Still, will be some great memories with my son, we'll both get to learn a whole bunch and at the end of it he gets a cool car.

Other than that, like some others posted cleaning out the garage is something I have been wanting and needing to do for a while.
      ^ That is going to be a cool project! Have you made a dedicated thread for it? What's the Engine / Trans setup?

Years back my Father-In-Law had a '67 Coupe with the 289 V8 Auto, but it had a 4-barrel carb, long-tube headers and Flowmasters. It wasn't fast, but it sure sounded great and turned heads!

A few points of advice: Start by cleaning it thoroughly, and try to avoid tearing things apart too much. Just having it clean will feel like an accomplishment, and makes working on it much more enjoyable.

These are pretty simple cars with a great aftermarket, and everything "makes sense" in how it works. Once you have it running & driving, I would highly recommend converting to a front disc brake setup (+1 for Power Assist). The 4-wheel drum brakes are not powerful, even when refreshed.

20. Member
      Cars
      2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design
      03-19-2020 03:11 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      ^ That is going to be a cool project! Have you made a dedicated thread for it? What's the Engine / Trans setup?

Years back my Father-In-Law had a '67 Coupe with the 289 V8 Auto, but it had a 4-barrel carb, long-tube headers and Flowmasters. It wasn't fast, but it sure sounded great and turned heads!

A few points of advice: Start by cleaning it thoroughly, and try to avoid tearing things apart too much. Just having it clean will feel like an accomplishment, and makes working on it much more enjoyable.

These are pretty simple cars with a great aftermarket, and everything "makes sense" in how it works. Once you have it running & driving, I would highly recommend converting to a front disc brake setup (+1 for Power Assist). The 4-wheel drum brakes are not powerful, even when refreshed.
      Thanks, I have not started a dedicated thread for it but should do.

It was originally a 289, but at some point was swapped for a 302, has a manual transmission. Cleaning it has been what we've been tackling so far, washed the outside and trying to get the interior cleaned up (read cleared of black widow spiders). It came with a few new parts in the back, some of which can be re-used (brand new steering wheel, headlights) and some which cannot due to mice (front seat covers). Converting to front disc brakes are absolutely something I plan to do, as well as to make sure it has 3 point seat belts installed. Once I get a few more pictures and progress I'll start a thread for it.

It does look fairly simple to work on, having plenty of room around the engine bay certainly makes a nice change from modern cars. I figure electronics should also be a whole lot simpler to work on, no computers to worry about.

Cars
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      03-19-2020 04:09 PM #70

It was originally a 289, but at some point was swapped for a 302, has a manual transmission. Cleaning it has been what we've been tackling so far, washed the outside and trying to get the interior cleaned up (read cleared of black widow spiders). It came with a few new parts in the back, some of which can be re-used (brand new steering wheel, headlights) and some which cannot due to mice (front seat covers). Converting to front disc brakes are absolutely something I plan to do, as well as to make sure it has 3 point seat belts installed. Once I get a few more pictures and progress I'll start a thread for it.

It does look fairly simple to work on, having plenty of room around the engine bay certainly makes a nice change from modern cars. I figure electronics should also be a whole lot simpler to work on, no computers to worry about.
      ^ Awesome. If you start a thread post it here or PM me a link and I'll gladly follow.

Really nice score with it having a 302 & I assume a T-5 ? My FIL's old car was enjoyable to cruise around in with the auto, but that was about it... I was looking into converting it to a T5 and doing the front disc brakes, but I was the only one showing any interest in the car at that point in time and we decided to sell it off instead...

For safety, also look into having a firewall welded behind the rear seatback. My FIL had that done to his, something about a known risk of rapid interior fire in the event the car is rear-ended and the tank ruptures.

Cars
      03-20-2020 07:49 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettaboy1884 View Post
      ^ That is going to be a cool project! Have you made a dedicated thread for it?

Once I get a few more pictures and progress I'll start a thread for it.
      Please make a thread for it. I have a soft spot for '65/'66 Mustangs as my uncle has always had a few of them around, despite being mainly a mopar guy.

23. Member
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      03-20-2020 09:26 AM #72
      Well my first quarantine project may have went tits up.. California is stopping all non-essential businesses. StopTech are building brakes for my M3 that should be shipped next week, looks like that will not happen now..

24. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-20-2020 09:28 AM #73

Yeah, you're definitely going to want to do a thread on that when you get started.

+1 on the cleaning everything first and not going too far in the dismantling stage. Honestly I'd start by cleaning, then removing the interior to thoroughly clean that. If it isn't too bad (in condition and smell!) then immediately put it back in, as that's a big project and with the interior in place it will feel more like a complete car. After that do the brakes, then the complete fuel system*, and change the oil.

Only then should you see if you can start it. Don't even turn it by hand until you've changed the oil unless you only turn it a tiny bit to make sure it isn't stuck. You'll be moving acidic oil over the bearings.

*Clean the tank, change all rubber lines, blow out the metal lines, replace fuel filter. A carb rebuild is up to you, but certainly isn't a bad idea.

Which engine and trans does it have?
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      03-20-2020 05:37 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Which engine and trans does it have?

26. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-20-2020 08:55 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I'd love to get some time to work on the black Scirocco, it needs:

- sound deadening install
      - new carpet install
      - heater core replacement
      - A/C expansion valve replacement
      - heater control vacuum check (there's a leak somewhere)
      - all coolant hoses replaced, I'm going to silicone
      - seat heater + oem wiring install
      - seats upholstered
      - crack-free dash install

...and a good wash.

And then I'd move on to the Rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      Dammit! I’m usually pretty good about getting all the way through a thread first!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast