Fourtitude.com - Model Y reveiws already? Yes!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Cars
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      03-17-2020 10:00 AM #26
      I am admittedly not well versed with Tesla whatsoever... are they supposed to all look the same? It really is sort of boring to look at.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      Golf GTI 7
      03-17-2020 10:02 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      I am admittedly not well versed with Tesla whatsoever... are they supposed to all look the same? It really is sort of boring to look at.
      I think the point is they are supposed to look like a Tesla. The proportions is what differentiates the models.

03-17-2020 10:10 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      I think the point is they are supposed to look like a Tesla. The proportions is what differentiates the models.
      Yup. Same thing Audi does.

Cars
      03-17-2020 10:13 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      "design language" I guess. Just seems like they could incorporate things rather than scale the model up. It's working though I suppose. I would like to drive one someday... My only EV experience is with a VW E-Golf and I really enjoyed it. I gained 2 miles of range on a 10 mile drive around suburbia with the regenerative braking system!

chevy x1 (2500hd)

Cars
      03-17-2020 10:15 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Yup. Same thing Audi does.

[img]Audilineup.jpg
      derping at myself... Maybe as I rarely see Teslas around here when I do I have no clue what the difference is. Audis are a dime a dozen 'round here, makes it easy to learn the models and easily differentiate them.

chevy x1 (2500hd)

Cars
      Twin Turbo Barge & Old Japanese Land Yacht
      03-17-2020 10:49 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      All car brands have a particular design aesthetic, including Tesla (except for the Cybertruck).
      We have been living with the Benz, Porsche, Audi, Jeep, Lexus, etc... design languages for MUCH longer than the current Tesla language, which launched with the Model S.
      The original Model S design was unveiled in 2009 and it barely looks any different than today with all the other models echoing it.

2009 anything else looks much more evolved.

Cars
      2020 Civic Type R, 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2018 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3 (work)
      03-17-2020 10:55 AM #32
      I don't hate this nearly as much as some of the other pseudo SUV's (Mercedes in particular), but I think I'm most looking forward to its potential impact on the used Model 3 market. I had the chance to borrow one from a relative for a week recently, and I really enjoyed it. That electric insta-torque is addictive. The center screen didn't bother me after the first day.
      Past: 1998 Accord V6 LX, 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 2-24-11), 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 (KIA 9-19-11), 2003 Jetta GLS 2.slow (good riddance), 2010 VW GTI, 2011 Toyota Camry, 2006 NC Miata

Cars
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      03-17-2020 12:20 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by whitejeep1989 View Post
      All car brands have a particular design aesthetic, including Tesla (except for the Cybertruck).
      We have been living with the Benz, Porsche, Audi, Jeep, Lexus, etc... design languages for MUCH longer than the current Tesla language, which launched with the Model S.
      But, Benz, Audi, Porsche, Lexus, etc change, refresh or update their designs. Tesla really doesn't.

The Model S looked great when it was released in 2012, today it is bland.

10. 03-17-2020 12:30 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl_1340 View Post
      But, Benz, Audi, Porsche, Lexus, etc change, refresh or update their designs. Tesla really doesn't.

yo - bland is good these days. Don't tempt any more manufacturers to do this:

11. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      03-17-2020 12:32 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Woof---this has the proportions of a Micro Machine toy. Their sedans are so much better looking, and particularly, better proportioned.
      QFT.

Tesla wants to differentiate so strongly that they eschew conventional design proportions and end up with this misshapen lump. The Y's proportions are so far off that it makes the 3 look squat and sleek.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      03-17-2020 12:33 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      It looks too close in size to the Model 3. Maybe that's all a visual trick though.
      Isn't it supposed to just be a taller Model 3 with a lift/hatchback?
      iain

13. Member
      Cars
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      03-17-2020 12:39 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by BluMagic View Post
      I'm getting tired of their exterior designs
      I don't see you use the same excuse for 911??
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

14. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      03-17-2020 12:55 PM #38

I understand what you are saying, but I also think those brands just shuffle the stylistic "chairs on the deck" because people get bored, not because they want to make the cars look better. There's so much change or MCE, just for the sake of change. This usually takes an originally good looking design and then grafts on a weird grille redesign or a chrome "unibrow" over the taillamps.

The Model S (and other Teslas) can't play this grille redesign trick. (Well, the Model S started out with a faux grille, but ditched it a few years later).

I also believe Tesla hasn't redesigned the Model S or X because it doesn't see those as core models going forward.
      Tesla's philosophy was each model was stepping stone to building volume and experience for the models coming after it.
      The original roadster, S, and X were all meant to get us to the 3, Y, and Cybertruck (real volume business).
      I don't think Tesla plans to directly replace the S or X, much like the original Roadster won't have a direct replacement (other than by name).

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      03-17-2020 01:02 PM #39

They have refreshed the Model S over the years. And Elon has even said they are only still making the S and X for sentimental reasons, they don't sell all that many of them anymore.

But even so, they've only had one generation of each model.
      Last edited by Hostile; 03-17-2020 at 01:04 PM.
      iain

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      03-17-2020 01:11 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Cars
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      03-17-2020 01:29 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      IMO the hatch is what the Model 3 should have come with from the beginning. I know they had their reasons (mfg cost, Musk had to have that full glass roof, maybe they knew it would compete with future Model Y, etc.) but still.
      Agreed. Our 3 is the first sedan either my wife or I had owned. I *hate* sedans. Hatchbacks all the way.

That said, I don't want a CUV more than I want a sedan, so I guess I prefer the 3 over the Y.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
      Those huge turbine wheels are lovely
      I watched the Teslanomics vid and couldn't disagree more. Looks like a total rollerskate wheel. It doesn't help that the tire is narrower than the wheel so it has that awful stretched look.

Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      I didn't like it at first, and still generally don't, but I've only driven a Model 3 for a day, and by the end of the day I was totally used to it. One huge benefit is that you can adjust the steering wheel perfectly from a comfort and function standpoint, and not have any worries about the visibility of the gauges.

I'm fine with the central screen, but would love it if higher trim versions got a HUD to complement it.
      that's a good point. I hadn't thought about that, but my steering wheel ALWAYS blocks the gauges in every car I drive, except my Z3M that doesn't have an adjustable wheel. I just don't think cars are made for people like me (long torso, like the wheel low).

The #1 thing I wish the 3 had was a second screen in front of me. Not because I don't like the screen in the center; that's fine. I just wish I had MORE content. More real estate. I mean, obviously, I wasn't willing to pay enough for the S to get it, and it helps keep the cost down. I just wish I had it

That's not really true as written, but it's becoming true starting... right now. 7-8 years is about a long as most automakers run a design, so Tesla's right in line there, and they refreshed the S like most automakers do, so they're no different. But they're BECOMING different/slow because there's no S redesign on the horizon. They're a smaller automaker so it's not surprising, but the criticism is becoming fair, and will be more and more fair as the years tick by with no redesign
      Supercar owners: If your housekeeper can afford to register their car in your state, so can you.
      We've got an amazing country; don't like the taxes in your state, you can just move. How many other countries have this freedom?

Cars
      Twin Turbo Barge & Old Japanese Land Yacht
      03-17-2020 02:02 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by Avus View Post
      I don't see you use the same excuse for 911??
      the 996 headlights exist though. j/k i like the 996.

i don't know what it is, the 911 is an iconic shape and decades of nostalgia. The only thing iconic about Tesla is their drivetrain, design wise I think Fisker better hit an iconic shape on their first try. Teslas have always looked like generic NPC cars in a video game to me apart from the original roaster which kind of look like a kit car.

The rear end of the cars always makes me think of the old Jag, when I first saw the Model S i thought they had re-purposed one like they did with the roadster/Lotus

i know people like them and they are like a subtle status symbol. I too was curious about the model 3 but it just wore off fast for me and turned into an NPC car .

Cars
      Golf GTI 7
      03-17-2020 02:03 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      "Flattening the curve" will be Tesla's new design language.

03-17-2020 02:33 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Woof---this has the proportions of a Micro Machine toy. Their sedans are so much better looking, and particularly, better proportioned.
      I agree. What I do like with this though is the hatch.

Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      Still don't see the benefit of eliminating instrumentation directly in front of driver. Anyone?
      You can have a lower cowl area and thereby increase visibility out front.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      03-17-2020 04:02 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      I agree. What I do like with this though is the hatch.

You can have a lower cowl area and thereby increase visibility out front.
      I think the same set of criteria that's made the Model 3 successful will be even more so for the Model Y. A hatch, good cargo capacity, seats 5 comfortably with seemingly good rear seat space, no gas station stops, very good range, great performance even on the base version, and all the other EV positives added in there, all at a pretty competitive price.

So practicality is extremely high to where one will overlook the design. The interior thankfully isn't bad, and once you get used to the central screen, is rather pleasant, even though the materials aren't great (nor are they horrible).

I didn't care for the Model 3's design, and I still don't, but it's grown on me. I like the Model Y's styling even less (it and the Model X look like my dog when he's postured to poop), but with the practicality and other benefits it offers at its price point, I'm fine with buying one otherwise.

22. 03-17-2020 06:26 PM #46
      I think we can go ahead and just rip the band aid off and call it what it is.

The Model Y's ugliness is only surpassed by it's blandness. But it's a niche model for the fans of the brand anyway, it's not taking money or share away from the gas powered cash cows of other makes.

It's just terrible but perfect for who they are targeting:

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      03-17-2020 07:18 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      I think we can go ahead and just rip the band aid off and call it what it is.

The Model Y's ugliness is only surpassed by it's blandness. But it's a niche model for the fans of the brand anyway, it's not taking money or share away from the gas powered cash cows of other makes.

It's just terrible but perfect for who they are targeting:

If it's anything like the Model 3, which I fully expect it to be, objectively speaking, it'll be a fantastic car. Subjectively, it's fugly, has weird proportions, and doesn't give one the "fizz."

24. 03-17-2020 07:34 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      If it's anything like the Model 3, which I fully expect it to be, objectively speaking, it'll be a fantastic car. Subjectively, it's fugly, has weird proportions, and doesn't give one the "fizz."
      Yeah, there's zero "wow" or "want" factor here at all. And a tall CUV EV just doesn't scream "fantastic". But again, it's not for the masses.

Cars
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      03-17-2020 07:51 PM #49
      For a design that gets a drag coefficient of .25 and less....you shouldn’t be complaining. Well, FU!

The same drag coefficient is a Prius....

26. 03-17-2020 07:57 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      For a design that gets a drag coefficient of .25 and less....you shouldn’t be complaining. Well, FU!

The same drag coefficient is a Prius....
      Suppositories are slippery too but it's not a bragging point

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast