Spent some time in the garage today. My eyes are just now recovering from the millions of little pieces of grime that got stuck in my eyes. I need some goggles for next time.
I dug into the wiring to get the O2 sensor working. By that, I mean I plugged it in after my lovely wiring job the other day. Started it up and ruh roh, it bogged! No fear, I switched the wires around (50/50 chance in getting it right the first time) and this time no bog! I think the O2 sensor is sorted. I have Deutsch connectors on the way to wire it up correctly, but for now this is fine. I need to run to work to grab my Surface to run VCDS and grab some codes to verify it is resolved.
I talked a little about the exhaust before. Well, here it is. Yikes!
And no, I am not smart enough to zoom out first.
How did we get to that point? Well, there were these absolutely terrible hangers installed. I highly doubt they were stock because, well, they clearly were not. I'm not quite sure yet where the stock hanger locations are (haven't looked), but I don't think it's where these were. It also makes me even more suspect about this being a Stromung exhaust.
This was the hanger. It rubbed on the sway bar, unfortunately. I'll need to take the sway bar off and get that powder coated when I decide on doing that.
Hanger on the exhaust... not the best welding/rust protection.
This is the hanger slightly further up, near the first muffler
Rusty and crusty. I think there was porbably a gasket there at some point, but not for some time. The bolts were welded on pretty hard from rust and torqued to hell. I think this exhaust has likely been on the car for a very long time.
While under there, I got a bunch of pictures of the undercarriage. There are a couple of spots that were slightly worrying, but overall not too bad.
First off: A wet spot right around where I believe the fuel tank is, near the back seats. Hmmm....
Pretty dirty, but not rusty.
Tiny bit of rust up near the hanger (spread from the hanger itself.)
And finally, the most concerning spot... under the trunk.
And a random hanger, which I don't believe is for the exhaust.
Rear way bar attachment
Also, a shot of the 2Bennett Bilstein coils!
And the absolutely destroyed bushing..
Finally, finishing up the day, I test fitted my S5 rotor wheels. They're 1" larger and quite a bit wider. The Avus wheels are terrible to look at, in my opinion. They're extremely heavy for their size and poorly balanced, as well.
Fisheye, sorry not sorry (only way to get the whole car in frame)
Yes, the front does have a slight spacer. The brakes are cleared by about 5mm.
When I took off the wheel nuts, I noticed that they were all cross-threaded. Not only that, but the wheel studs were as well. It's probably time to replace them, anyways, so I'll be doing that.