Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    1. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      06-22-2020 05:43 PM #126
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Sounds like it's a good thing this car found you, man. Keep up the small bites of the S6 elephant.
      For sure. When I saw it in person I let him know it's a pretty big project, and the electrical would put it past what my shade tree skills would allow me to do. Yet, every time I check in, I see him hammering right along. Glad he pulled the trigger on it, as it'll be awesome when he's done.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

06-22-2020 07:32 PM #127
      As expected, MFTS was fubar.

More wack ass splices.

Apparently very common, actually.

Mad corrosion

Will need some more of these.

I also need a 30mm or 31mm socket as the imperial sockets I have are one size too small and one size too large for the MFTS fitting, lol.

This article is incredible and has walked me through diagnosing this: https://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/22584.phtml

It is incredible hard to get to, as the MFTS it is under the intake manifold. I almost want to just replace all the sensors while I am down there, but meh, we'll do one at a time for now.

I also found out that the oil pressure sender is not hooked up at all. Fantastich!

Also, I drained out all the coolant and ran a few 10 gallons of water through it and pressurized the system with an air hose. I am pretty sure there was probably a blockage in there or something based on how long it sat.

The oil drain is a fumoto drain plug, which everyone must try. It's so fantastic.

4. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      06-23-2020 12:58 AM #128
      Quote Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post

I also found out that the oil pressure sender is not hooked up at all. Fantastich!
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Cars
      2005 VW GTI, 2001 S4, 1993 UrS4, 2003 Evo 8, 1993 RX7
      06-23-2020 09:26 AM #129
      Awesome car man! I've always wanted an avant. Currently have a 93 S4 which has a similar setup to yours (3071r, big brakes, coilovers, ls2 coilpacks, etc.)

I am currently changing mine up and kinda going overboard on a few things. Rewired the entire thing & added an ATL fuel cell, MaxxECU, bucket seats...never ending project.

Anyways, keep it up! They are really fun cars when sorted out. Chasing misfires is a pretty regular occurrence. Make sure all the coils/sparkplugs are good, check for boost leaks, etc. Also voltage regulator on the alt.

Cars
      F80 / TDI / LWB
      06-23-2020 01:55 PM #130
      How did I miss this?!?! Freakin' awesome!
      flickr | Everything you need to know | » | Scratch-It™ | Vimeo | Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      BMW made the decision to chase tuhao money with questionable aesthetic and it can't expect more sophisticated markets to go along with the crassness of its current batsh1t crazy design.

06-23-2020 03:32 PM #131
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMunky View Post
      Awesome car man! I've always wanted an avant. Currently have a 93 S4 which has a similar setup to yours (3071r, big brakes, coilovers, ls2 coilpacks, etc.)

I am currently changing mine up and kinda going overboard on a few things. Rewired the entire thing & added an ATL fuel cell, MaxxECU, bucket seats...never ending project.

Anyways, keep it up! They are really fun cars when sorted out. Chasing misfires is a pretty regular occurrence. Make sure all the coils/sparkplugs are good, check for boost leaks, etc. Also voltage regulator on the alt.
      Would love to see some pics of yours!

I am going for more of a comfortable cruiser/weekend car. Funnily enough, I originally purchased this as a daily driver for winter. What was I thinking?

---

I just replaced the sparkplugs, but it probably should get some new plug wires. Since you have the LS2 coils, would you mind confirming the plug order for me? I am pretty sure there will be a boost leak or two, but the biggest issue right now is probably the air box that is missing two retaining clips, so it is open on one side.

What do you mean about the voltage regulator? Common to go bad? I've noticed the electrical system on this thing is fantastic, despite all the **** that has been wired/spliced into it in the past. I left the doors open for 2 weeks and the car started right up!

06-23-2020 03:51 PM #132
      Ordered a new MFTS plug and some repair wires with the connectors. Also ordered an oil sender so i'll do that at the same time. Also ordered a front snub mount replacement from Apikol.

Cars
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      06-23-2020 04:11 PM #133
      I had a bunch of trouble like that with the MFTS in my 2B 200 20V wagon. After sorting out all the electrics I think I realized there was some flaw in the intake manifold surface preventing the sensor from sealing correctly, so who knows how long the car had been dripping coolant down into the electrical connector (and boot) before I'd owned it. What a pain that was.
      Last edited by turbo_nine; 06-23-2020 at 04:15 PM.
      call it potatography

Cars
      2005 VW GTI, 2001 S4, 1993 UrS4, 2003 Evo 8, 1993 RX7
      06-23-2020 10:43 PM #134
      Would love to see some pics of yours!

I am going for more of a comfortable cruiser/weekend car. Funnily enough, I originally purchased this as a daily driver for winter. What was I thinking?

---

I just replaced the sparkplugs, but it probably should get some new plug wires. Since you have the LS2 coils, would you mind confirming the plug order for me? I am pretty sure there will be a boost leak or two, but the biggest issue right now is probably the air box that is missing two retaining clips, so it is open on one side.

What do you mean about the voltage regulator? Common to go bad? I've noticed the electrical system on this thing is fantastic, despite all the **** that has been wired/spliced into it in the past. I left the doors open for 2 weeks and the car started right up!
      Haha that's how it always starts! Firing order should be 1-2-4-5-3. Yeah with age they go out - the voltage output will have an effect on coil dwell, injector dt, etc. Worth replacing since they are pretty cheap.

Here's some pics (older -> newer)

lots of wiring pulled

still a wip but it's getting there

06-30-2020 12:44 PM #135
      Dear god almighty, I now know what wheels I need. How did I never even consider those?!

I also need that carbon rail cover.

Cars
      '97 A4 12v & '17 Honda Fit Base - 6-speed
      06-30-2020 12:57 PM #136
      Dear god almighty, I now know what wheels I need. How did I never even consider those?!
      Agreed, even on a bigger Audi they successfully give the lighter "motorsport" look.

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      07-01-2020 09:09 AM #137
      Quote Originally Posted by TheMunky View Post
      Holy moly that looks amazing.

Yesterday 01:41 PM #138
      UPDATE:

Few things. First, the boring stuff

Some fiberglass sleeving came in so I can fix up the wiring semi-properly. It is going to take some trial and error to get it right, but there seems like a LOT that can go wrong in my particular engine bay due to heating. I also plan on getting a heat shielding fabbed up at some point for the coils as they're right above the turbo downpipe.

Apikol urethane snub mount came in, so at some point before driving the car I'll get that installed. The other two motor mounts are 034 rubber mounts which saves me a lot of time and money... now I just need to replace the other 500 mounts and bushings in the car, but haven't found a company that I like yet producing rubber mounts. Probably just have to go OEM.

Still waiting on some repair wire as well as the MFTS sensor plug so I can fix up that mess. I also found out that the oil gauge temp sensor that I thought was unplugged may just be a holdover from a different model (URS4). No wires can go to it and there's another sensor to the left of it... I need to do some advanced digging on this...

You can see the two prongs unplugged there.

I guess this model only has a "dummy light" for oil temp, but I definitely have an oil temp gauge, so not sure what the deal is with it not reading.

---

Decided to get the coil plug cover done-ish. I grinded it using some wire wheels and sanding discs. Turned out okay-ish but obviously was just a very quick job to make it not totally scaley. I was worried that it wasn't going to fit but it turns out it fits just fine. I need to get a few plug guides to make them neater.

Now I just need an injector cover. There's a shop in Sweden that does carbon parts for these but I am not in a position to purchase them yet. I'll probably get the carbon plug cover, injector cover, and timing cover.

---

big progress!!

I found a floor. Yes, that's right, flintstone car is going away... eventually.

A fine gentlemen on the coast let me cut out the spare wheel well from his parts-car URS6 avant (black), so I loaded up the Mercedes and drove over. Apparently not the best thing to do during 4th of July weekend, but it wasn't bad until I hit Tacoma. His property was pretty dope. They had 17 cars apparently, consisting of almost entirely oldschool Audis. They were enthusiasts through and through, and it was a family affair with the father and son being completely infatuated with these machines. Loved it.

His Quattro

HOME!! Got home just before sunset.

All that for a wheel well. DOH.

The goods:

I cut it out with an angle grinder. Took 6 disks and went through two batteries, including one 60V Max battery, which kind of surprised me. I also cut into the top of the fiberglass here and there because it's really ****ing hard to cut out a spare wheel well from a car sitting in a field with nothing but an angle grinder. But it's almost perfect. There is one hole from something.. I think manufacturing defect or something. I am either going to figure out how to lay fiberglass now to repair some spots or hopefully find someone to do it for me for cheap, because I do not want to do that.

Also note that the camera's lens is making it look curved. It's perfectly flat on top. Thank god these were fiberglass and not metal because the entire bottom of the car was powdery rust (being from Colorado).

While there, I conventiently forgot to grab the interior cover for the damn thing so now I have to get that some other time somehow from him. I also forgot to check for a spare battery box, which he has, so i'll have to get that as well. Finally, I was going to grab the windshield from him, but he was reluctant to pull it because it would likely destroy the seal. I think maybe he just didn't want to sell it, I don't know. He is going to have a more experienced person pull the windshield. While I don't need the windshield, mine does have a rather large horizontal crack across most of the screen, and the mirror is loose, so doesn't stay put. I'm sure there's an easy fix for that... right?

Sorry for not getting a picture of the box getting cut out.. I was dripping sweat with a respirator and goggles on and a disk blew up on me once or twice, so I wasn't in the picture taking mood.

---

LASTLY,

I took some pictures to hopefully identify some plugs that are undone in the passenger side footwell. Also, a picture of the old and new MFTS sensor.

I believe this goes to the glove box, possibly

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456