Fourtitude.com - Corona-virus - great time for car shopping
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Results 101 to 125 of 308
    1. Member Crispyfritter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2001
      Location
      SW KS
      Posts
      14,123
      03-22-2020 01:41 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      How's the used side of the business looking? Do you think used managers will more negotiable if/when cash flow slows down? The hard part for me is that I'm looking at 3/4 ton trucks, which are almost always in demand...
      I have about 20 new 3/4 trucks and about 5 used. I'm guessing there are some rebates coming down the pipeline for heavy duty stuff.

      Chris
      | 20 Ram | 11 JLU Sport | 01 BMW 740 iL | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member Crispyfritter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2001
      Location
      SW KS
      Posts
      14,123
      03-22-2020 01:50 PM #102
      Since I've started working at our little CDJR dealer, we've been selling about 25-30 units a month, with me selling half of those. Yesterday, our store sold 7 cars. Of those 7 cars sold, they went to 4 buyers.

      I did two-two car deals, and one of them was a trade in with $15k in negative equity that I had to spread into a Chrysler 200 and Dodge Caravan SE.

      But that means that 3 families came in and bought two cars from us, and the other bought a new Gladiator Rubicon. We sold only 2 cars all week, but Saturday was awesome. Right before we will likely get shut down, on sales side at least.

      Chris
      | 20 Ram | 11 JLU Sport | 01 BMW 740 iL | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 3rd, 2006
      Location
      North Las Vegas
      Posts
      3,285
      Cars
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      03-22-2020 03:41 PM #103
      Quote Originally Posted by Crispyfritter View Post
      We sold only 2 cars all week, but Saturday was awesome. Right before we will likely get shut down, on sales side at least.
      Last I heard restaurants and bars in Wichita were still open; is Kansas clamping down hard enough that car sales will be ordered closed?
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Here we can all drive like Colin McRae in his prime, earn $25k a month and bang super models. We can also text and drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You only live once, and you can file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy every 8 years.

    5. 03-22-2020 04:26 PM #104
      Have been perusing the nearby Mazda dealer on Sundays for months. Pretty consistent, moderate/normal inventory level.

      Cruised through today, and it's insane. Someone must've ordered 150 cars in December and they must've just all showed up. Place is out of control overflowing, offsite storage lot included.

      They all of a sudden have 3x the normal inventory to move...too bad they don't negotiate.

    6. Member rickhamilton620's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 27th, 2015
      Location
      York, PA
      Posts
      284
      Cars
      2012 Kia Forte EX
      03-22-2020 09:51 PM #105
      I've been prepping slowly for replacing my Kia for a while now, got some confirmation on some preliminary stuff I needed to know first because I've never traded in a car before, believe it or not!

      Started building a down payment fund - I have about 250 saved up, looking to get 1k saved.

      Then I got to thinking - if those stimulus checks come to fruition, I could use part of that for this. Sure I could blow it all on the car but I have better uses for the money - 1k put in a separate account just for security deposit/1st months rent on a new place if i get a new job would be a great thing to have. and I'd use $500 of the other check to just pay off a credit card entirely.

      So yeah, ironically, I could very well be buying a used car during this depending on how good the deals are. Right now, I'm pretty much set on the current gen Fusion or Mazda6.

      My job's pretty secure (IT guy at a local school district) even if it is underpaid so I'd have to just ride it out until the job market turns around.

    7. 03-22-2020 10:55 PM #106
      None of the Mazda dealers in the Twin Cities negotiate, not one of them.

      There are only a couple dealer groups that control all of them, one doesn't list prices on their site, while the other one is still listing an absolutely pathetic $750 discount on near $40,000 CX-5s. Poverty spec $27k ones have a discount of $496, also pathetic but you barely get any more discount on a $12,000 more expensive model?

      Who the f u c k is going to basically pay sticker for a fawking run of the mill Mazda CUV, let alone in this market? Can probably get a better discount on a f uckin' AMG.

      I mean this dealership family (Morrie's) has always acted like their sh!t don't stink with prices, but my god.

      Not sure if this is a Corona rant or a long simmering Morrie's rant, lol.

    8. Member Crispyfritter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 21st, 2001
      Location
      SW KS
      Posts
      14,123
      03-22-2020 11:09 PM #107
      Quote Originally Posted by TJSwoboda View Post
      Last I heard restaurants and bars in Wichita were still open; is Kansas clamping down hard enough that car sales will be ordered closed?
      In our little circle we have a higher up at the county health dept, an ICU nurse and a banker, and they're all thinking we've got about week left at most before they shut it all down.

      Chris
      | 20 Ram | 11 JLU Sport | 01 BMW 740 iL | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

    9. Member NotFast's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2002
      Location
      Chicago area, IL
      Posts
      2,508
      03-23-2020 10:37 AM #108
      I was going to suggest you travel outside your area... I just looked at the Mazda dealer 5 minutes away from here and their website only shows minimal discounts on new cars (like $500-$750 on CX-5's).

      I can't believe they're going to sell much like that in today's environment. The local Hyundai dealer next door is giving a crazy amount of perks and good discounts too.

    10. 03-23-2020 11:00 AM #109
      Quote Originally Posted by NotFast View Post
      I was going to suggest you travel outside your area... I just looked at the Mazda dealer 5 minutes away from here and their website only shows minimal discounts on new cars (like $500-$750 on CX-5's).

      I can't believe they're going to sell much like that in today's environment.
      Yep, exactly the same discounts as here. Makes you wonder if there's some sort of price fixing/collusion going on. Can't help but wonder, it can't really be a coincidence. I mean obviously April programs should get better since nobody really knew what was going to happen at the beginning of March, but I doubt they suddenly are going to be $3500 off. They will probably all shift to $1000 off or something.

    11. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2006
      Location
      Chicago, Il
      Posts
      7,944
      Cars
      16v I4, Twin Turbo Charged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      03-23-2020 11:42 AM #110
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      None of the Mazda dealers in the Twin Cities negotiate, not one of them.

      There are only a couple dealer groups that control all of them, one doesn't list prices on their site, while the other one is still listing an absolutely pathetic $750 discount on near $40,000 CX-5s. Poverty spec $27k ones have a discount of $496, also pathetic but you barely get any more discount on a $12,000 more expensive model?

      Who the f u c k is going to basically pay sticker for a fawking run of the mill Mazda CUV, let alone in this market? Can probably get a better discount on a f uckin' AMG.

      I mean this dealership family (Morrie's) has always acted like their sh!t don't stink with prices, but my god.

      Not sure if this is a Corona rant or a long simmering Morrie's rant, lol.
      Just buy an Audi in Chicago
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

    12. 03-23-2020 12:16 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      Just buy an Audi in Chicago
      Bro - when is Audi gonna get with the program on remote start in the phone app?

    13. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 10th, 2006
      Location
      Chicago, Il
      Posts
      7,944
      Cars
      16v I4, Twin Turbo Charged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      03-23-2020 12:24 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Bro - when is Audi gonna get with the program on remote start in the phone app?
      Who knows.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

    14. Member White Jetta's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 17th, 2002
      Location
      Massachusetts
      Posts
      7,174
      Cars
      Why don't you take a seat over there
      03-23-2020 12:43 PM #113
      I suggested to a local Ford dealer a 60 month $0 payment loan on a new Mustang...haven't heard back from them yet. If not they can keep their damn cars in their overflowing lots!
      Sent on a Post-It by way of carrier pigeon

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 26th, 2009
      Location
      Saint Paul, MN
      Posts
      2,980
      Cars
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      03-23-2020 12:54 PM #114
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Yep, exactly the same discounts as here. Makes you wonder if there's some sort of price fixing/collusion going on. Can't help but wonder, it can't really be a coincidence. I mean obviously April programs should get better since nobody really knew what was going to happen at the beginning of March, but I doubt they suddenly are going to be $3500 off. They will probably all shift to $1000 off or something.
      Selling at MSRP isn't price collusion.

    16. 03-23-2020 01:16 PM #115
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      Selling at MSRP isn't price collusion.
      But they aren't selling at MSRP. Close, but not. But all the same discount amounts.

    17. Member Meroving1an's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2007
      Location
      San Francisco, CA
      Posts
      1,455
      Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      03-23-2020 01:37 PM #116
      Don't let me find a Hyundai dealer throwing hefty discounts on the Veloster N...

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 26th, 2009
      Location
      Saint Paul, MN
      Posts
      2,980
      Cars
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      03-23-2020 01:38 PM #117
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      But they aren't selling at MSRP. Close, but not. But all the same discount amounts.
      Thought experiment: What if they all discounted the same amount; let's say $3000, but no dealer around would be + or - $250 of each other. You'd still get that Mazda for less than MSRP, but you wouldn't have gotten a better deal from one dealer over another (or another consumer who happened to be shopping at the same time you were). Would that still piss you off?
      Last edited by oidoglr; 03-23-2020 at 01:50 PM.

    19. 03-23-2020 03:20 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      Thought experiment: What if they all discounted the same amount; let's say $3000, but no dealer around would be + or - $250 of each other. You'd still get that Mazda for less than MSRP, but you wouldn't have gotten a better deal from one dealer over another (or another consumer who happened to be shopping at the same time you were). Would that still piss you off?
      No I would be acceptably happy with that, because I think that's about what the car is worth and that's a respectable discount that is probably median to what the range is, which is basically fine. While it would represent the lowest % discount I've ever got, it's at least a respectable amount, and enough that I would feel satisfied, more or less. But when you discount a car 2% and say it's the lowest possible price and then sprinkle in BS about not being able to keep the lights on at...a penny beyond 2%, then it's like...come on. It's the bogus lies and treating people like they are stupid that I don't like, more than anything.

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 26th, 2009
      Location
      Saint Paul, MN
      Posts
      2,980
      Cars
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      03-23-2020 04:00 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      No I would be acceptably happy with that, because I think that's about what the car is worth and that's a respectable discount that is probably median to what the range is, which is basically fine. While it would represent the lowest % discount I've ever got, it's at least a respectable amount, and enough that I would feel satisfied, more or less. But when you discount a car 2% and say it's the lowest possible price and then sprinkle in BS about not being able to keep the lights on at...a penny beyond 2%, then it's like...come on. It's the bogus lies and treating people like they are stupid that I don't like, more than anything.
      But, what others have eluded to is that how much margin a dealer can survive on is also heavily dependent on volume. Mazda's been realigning their North American brand strategy to project themselves as higher quality than their Japanese counterparts. Dealers holding their prices to MSRP is a play out of the luxury goods book. I think it's showing though that Mazda suffers the same issue that Volkswagen has, that Toyota, Honda and Nissan all figured out how to circumvent in the 1990s that the American consumer wants the prestige of a brand to not be diluted by the perception of commonality.

    21. Member Pnuu's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 27th, 2005
      Location
      WA
      Posts
      5,459
      Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      03-23-2020 04:45 PM #120
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      No I would be acceptably happy with that, because I think that's about what the car is worth and that's a respectable discount that is probably median to what the range is, which is basically fine. While it would represent the lowest % discount I've ever got, it's at least a respectable amount, and enough that I would feel satisfied, more or less. But when you discount a car 2% and say it's the lowest possible price and then sprinkle in BS about not being able to keep the lights on at...a penny beyond 2%, then it's like...come on. It's the bogus lies and treating people like they are stupid that I don't like, more than anything.
      Thought experiment continued:

      What if Mazda did what Tesla is doing and sold the car at one fixed price, take it or leave it? No MSRP, no discount, no nothing. Would you take your business elsewhere? Now what if all car manufacturers did the same?

    22. Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Vermont, USA
      Posts
      32,989
      Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-24-2020 08:11 AM #121

    23. Member JackJoachim's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 30th, 2012
      Location
      Biloxi, MS
      Posts
      581
      03-24-2020 08:24 AM #122
      I was planning on selling my current car using Caravana, but I was waiting on the title to come in. Within a week the offer went down almost $2k. Was planning to use that as a down payment on a new car.
      '16 Golf 5 speed - JB1, ST coilovers, Interlagos Reps, AutoTech Exhaust,

    24. 03-24-2020 08:55 AM #123
      2 questions if I could

      1.) Will motorcycle dealers be discounting, in your opinion? I care more about feeling/noise/experience than interior quality.....

      2.) Porsche cayman (S) vs Mustang GT... has anyone driven both and can compare. I recently drove a new S and like it...4 cylinder and all....

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 8th, 2003
      Location
      Richmond, VA
      Posts
      12,217
      Cars
      '19 RS3, '19 SQ5, '20 Silverado RST
      03-24-2020 09:11 AM #124
      Great time for car shopping, indeed. I got an absolutely ridiculous deal on this loaded up Silverado RST. 5.3, Z71, leather interior, 4x4, etc etc. Was about to make the Tacoma mistake for the third time, and I realized how stupid it was when I started contemplating taking a brand new truck and having it re-geared off the showroom floor. Still wouldn't have let me drag my RS3 around on a trailer like this thing will.

      2019 RS3 - APR Stage 1 // 538WHP/510WTQ // 10.96 @ 126.5
      2019 SQ5 - stock
      2020 Silverado RST 5.3L - stock

    26. Senior Member Sporin's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 1999
      Location
      Vermont, USA
      Posts
      32,989
      Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-24-2020 09:43 AM #125
      Coronavirus drags car dealers into digital commerce
      Dealers often seem stuck in the past; COVID-19 may force them to modernize

      https://www.autoblog.com/2020/03/24/...usauto00000015

      NEW YORK/DETROIT (Reuters) - Auto retailers have been slow to embrace e-commerce, but the coronavirus pandemic is changing that.

      Online traffic has risen even as in-person showroom traffic has disappeared. Auto dealers are embracing digital tools to close deals without a handshake and arranging for vehicles to be picked up or delivered without requiring customers to come to their stores.

      U.S. new vehicle sales will be hit hard by the pandemic. Demand dropped 13% in the first 19 days of March, according to research firm J.D. Power. In especially hard-hit markets like Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles and Chicago, where the virus has spread quickly, demand slumped as much as 22%.

      Moody's Analytics said on Friday the new and used vehicle markets could slump by as much as 20% from 2019 levels and stay depressed into 2021.

      Based on a survey of some 40 dealers, analysts at Evercore ISI on Monday estimated the March U.S. seasonally adjusted annual selling rate could be 11 million to 12 million vehicles, on par with levels seen during the 2008/2009 financial crisis.

      However, online traffic for the 1,000 U.S. and Canadian dealers served by Roadster, which provides a digital sales platform for everything from financing paperwork to vehicle delivery, was up about 6%.


      "Many dealerships are going to get caught with their pants down," said Brian Benstock, a dealer in the New York City borough of Queens. "This will be a watershed moment for the dealership industry."

      Dealers have been doing business online for years, but it has never been a major focus. Only 15% of all transactions are online, according to a November survey of 540 dealers commissioned by the National Automobile Dealers Association. However, they expect online car sales to double by 2025.

      Benstock, who began moving most of his sales online in 2015, said companies like Tesla Inc and retailer Carvana Co, which does all its business online, have begun to change consumer expectations.

      Tesla has always relied on internet orders for its vehicles. It is implementing "touchless deliveries" in many locations, allowing consumers to unlock cars using the Tesla App, sign any relevant paperwork and return it to a drop-off location.

      Carvana, which sells used vehicles, expanded the number of cars it sold to retail customers by 89% in 2019 from 2018.

      Despite a sharp decline in its shares, Carvana has a market capitalization twice that of AutoNation Inc, the largest bricks and mortar U.S. retail vehicle chain. AutoNation started boosting investment in its online selling capability well before the virus shock.

      David Smith, chief executive of dealership chain Sonic Automotive Inc, said most customers still want to visit a showroom to see the cars they are buying.

      “There’s only a small percentage of the market who want to buy their car entirely online and have it delivered,” he said.

      Cox Automotive analyst Michelle Krebs said the outbreak will accelerate the wider adoption of services that allow customers to stay away from showrooms.

      "It's what people wanted going into this," she said, citing a Cox January survey that found consumers cited vehicle pick-up and delivery as their top desire.

      Matthew Zappone, general manager of a Chrysler Jeep Dodge Ram dealer outside of Albany, New York, is encouraging his sales staff to use FaceTime to show customers the vehicle features they want to see without visiting the store.

      "If you haven't been doing it to this point, you're under-prepared," Zappone said.

    Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •