Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    1. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-20-2020 04:18 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      03-20-2020 05:35 PM #77
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      So we pulled the trigger on a 2017 Alltrack SEL. Interest was 3.2% on used for 72 months with literally no negotiation other than showing the sales associate our credit union's lowest rate on their site. We were concerned that there is a very real chance best case scenario sales dramatically slow down (which they have) and waiting for a more desired color combination, or the lighting package in the upcoming economic climate might take a longer time than our insurance will pay for a rental (we had 7 days from today to keep the rental) or worst case scenario the dealers close indefinitely by order of the state or voluntarily. Combined with a reasonable sale price and an included 10 year drivetrain warranty made the decision pretty easy to make. Told her if she finds the halogen headlights to be unacceptable we can purchase the Ed's replacement HID drop ins for $500.
      Too soon. VW announced 0% for 72mos and 180 days deferred payments today (for well qualified buyers). New Alltracks at Quirk VW in Manchester NH are discounted between $5-6k at the moment. Not sure if those discounts qualify under the new terms.

As a bonus it appears all paperwork and financing can be done digitally now. Just pick up your keys and drive home.

4. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-20-2020 05:54 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Too soon. VW announced 0% for 72mos and 180 days deferred payments today (for well qualified buyers). New Alltracks at Quirk VW in Manchester NH are discounted between $5-6k at the moment. Not sure if those discounts qualify under the new terms.

As a bonus it appears all paperwork and financing can be done digitally now. Just pick up your keys and drive home.
      True but they bought used and typically those finance deals are for new inventory. That said I would say the best time to buy would be April as Coronavirus effects set in and April is a new month which means new promos.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

5. Member
      Cars
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      03-21-2020 09:43 AM #79
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post

~$300/mo per car is our comfortable car budget right now especially in light of current situations (my P/T gig dried up as of last week until restaurants re-open, but my F/T job just called for mandatory overtime), so that put us looking at cars under $20k to accommodate the features she wanted in a replacement car. Even with a $6k discount, 2019 SEL Alltracks unfortunately weren't going to hit our target budget. She's happy with the car, so I'm happy.

6. Member
      Cars
      AWD German Hatch
      03-21-2020 09:51 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      But used vehicles have a different POV from the dealer. As they sit on their lot longer, the prices will gradually come down in small increments and/or the dealer will become more negotiable. Keep an eye on specific vehicles and wait another week or two. Then start making offers.
      Yeah, the prices on used 981 Caymans sure don't seem to have dropped yet. Take this one for example: a 2016 base Cayman with an original MSRP of $59K and they want $48K for it still?!

https://www.porschesouthpoint.com/ce...d330f29820.htm

7. Member
      Cars
      2012 Cayman | 2019 R | 2015 Golf
      03-21-2020 10:05 AM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Canaletto View Post
      Yeah, the prices on used 981 Caymans sure don't seem to have dropped yet. Take this one for example: a 2016 base Cayman with an original MSRP of $59K and they want $48K for it still?!

https://www.porschesouthpoint.com/ce...d330f29820.htm
      981's might be a special example though, the 4 pot 718 was the best thing that could have happened to 981 values.

Edit: clicked the link to look at the car in question. It just reinforces my oppinion. I'd much rather have this car at 48K than a new 718 at 60+. In fact the only negative is the super dated "infotainment" head unit. I've got the same unit in my 2012 987.2 and it's solidly meh. I'm sure it was fine in 2009 when it came out but by 2016 it would have been hopelessly dated. For 2016 VW Golfs had standard Carplay/AA, proximity response, and way better resolution than this Porsche unit. Lots of people replace these in 987s with aftermarket Carplay/AA units, I'm not sure if it's as easy to do in the 981's.
      Last edited by KrisA; 03-21-2020 at 10:11 AM.

8. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      16v I4, Twin Turbo Charged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      03-21-2020 11:24 AM #82
      To add in my .02 cents.

I am taking less aggressive deals as a whole right now due to my inability to offset those huge losses I take with good, healthy deals (for the store). When I can make +3500 on a 3 cars in a row (or in a day) it makes taking 2 -5000 deals possible. Without those positives, I am unable to afford the negatives.

Until the manufacture gives me huge cash discounts, I am not going to be anywhere as willing to take a deal I would have taken 45 days ago.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Cars
      15 GSW, 19 Tiguan SE, 03 20th, 88 Cabby, 64 Yamaha
      03-21-2020 05:49 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      ~$300/mo per car is our comfortable car budget right now especially in light of current situations (my P/T gig dried up as of last week until restaurants re-open, but my F/T job just called for mandatory overtime), so that put us looking at cars under $20k to accommodate the features she wanted in a replacement car. Even with a $6k discount, 2019 SEL Alltracks unfortunately weren't going to hit our target budget. She's happy with the car, so I'm happy.
      I was more trying to post the new VW offer than make you feel like you could have gotten a better deal. Even with discounts and financing deals I can't afford to do anything. And to be honest, there isn't much in the showrooms right now that I would prefer over my TDI wagon.

Congrats on the new car. Happy wife = happy life. Alltrack would be the only car I would consider right now in the showrooms.

10. 03-21-2020 06:46 PM #84
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      To add in my .02 cents.

I am taking less aggressive deals as a whole right now due to my inability to offset those huge losses I take with good, healthy deals (for the store). When I can make +3500 on a 3 cars in a row (or in a day) it makes taking 2 -5000 deals possible. Without those positives, I am unable to afford the negatives.

Until the manufacture gives me huge cash discounts, I am not going to be anywhere as willing to take a deal I would have taken 45 days ago.
      How are the average deals trending though? In general, for average deals, are they trending better for the consumer or worse?

Or is it too soon, but expected to trend a certain way with April programs?
      Last edited by puma1552; 03-21-2020 at 06:48 PM.

11. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      03-21-2020 07:05 PM #85
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      How are the average deals trending though? In general, for average deals, are they trending better for the consumer or worse?

Or is it too soon, but expected to trend a certain way with April programs?
      Too soon to really tell. Everyone is so scared, our foot traffic has reduced to nearly nothing. A small amount of people are setting appointments to come in, but we are not even getting the internet leads that are typical.

In terms of deals, I would say they are about what they were, but the super, stupid, "just put a car on the road" type deals (Read -5000 under invoice) are not going to be happening. Again, when I have a volume of 200-300 deals I can afford to take a good amount of the super crap deals. But without that, there is no reason to. The banks are helping with inventory (and I am in a really good spot currently, personally) so it densest hurt me to hold onto that car and try to sell it for more.
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

12. 03-21-2020 07:31 PM #86
      Too soon to really tell. Everyone is so scared, our foot traffic has reduced to nearly nothing. A small amount of people are setting appointments to come in, but we are not even getting the internet leads that are typical.

In terms of deals, I would say they are about what they were, but the super, stupid, "just put a car on the road" type deals (Read -5000 under invoice) are not going to be happening. Again, when I have a volume of 200-300 deals I can afford to take a good amount of the super crap deals. But without that, there is no reason to. The banks are helping with inventory (and I am in a really good spot currently, personally) so it densest hurt me to hold onto that car and try to sell it for more.
      Thanks, out of curiosity, for an ordered car, does Audi lock rebates at time of order or can the customer only get the rebates available at time of delivery? If the latter, how is negotiation typically handled on an order?

About to order a Mercedes but they only do rebates at time of delivery, so I'm trying to figure out the best approach to get a comfortable price at time of order. Maybe just try to negotiate a set % discount excluding rebates? Like X% off plus regardless, plus whatever rebates are available when the car comes in (if any)?

13. 03-21-2020 07:33 PM #87
      I took advantage of the market and traded my Civic Si for a GX460.

3.25% on a 9 year old vehicle? Who would had thought!
      They REALLY did not want me to go with a credit union, they were really pushing for a bank with higher rate; they had me in and out of the finance office quick.

But thanks to the situation, I also got way more than expected for my previously rear ended and side hit Civic Si.

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      03-21-2020 07:36 PM #88
      To add in my .02 cents.

How's the used side of the business looking? Do you think used managers will more negotiable if/when cash flow slows down? The hard part for me is that I'm looking at 3/4 ton trucks, which are almost always in demand...

15. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      03-21-2020 08:13 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post

About to order a Mercedes but they only do rebates at time of delivery, so I'm trying to figure out the best approach to get a comfortable price at time of order. Maybe just try to negotiate a set % discount excluding rebates? Like X% off plus regardless, plus whatever rebates are available when the car comes in (if any)?
      There you go.

Just make sure you know all the incentives, or which ones pertain to your purchase, and go get it. I do this all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      How's the used side of the business looking? Do you think used managers will more negotiable if/when cash flow slows down? The hard part for me is that I'm looking at 3/4 ton trucks, which are almost always in demand...
      Thats all we have been selling since this started. Some of the wholesale market has changed, but nothing out of the ordinary. The not so nice cars are not getting the money they were 90 days ago. But, again, nothing crazy. Yet, at least.
      Last edited by Smooremin; 03-21-2020 at 08:15 PM.

16. Member
      Cars
      2013 Corolla, TBA
      03-21-2020 11:07 PM #90
      Great time if your job is secure. How many are? I guess we'll find out in a few months. All I know is, I went from looking at 3-year-old Accords to 15-year-old Focuses and Outbacks.

Maybe, someday, when all this is over I will revisit. But for now I need something to drive and I'm not committing to any kind of a payment with all this uncertainty.

17. Junior Member
      Cars
      GLE350 4Matic
      03-21-2020 11:27 PM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by Roboturner913 View Post
      Great time if your job is secure. How many are? I guess we'll find out in a few months. All I know is, I went from looking at 3-year-old Accords to 15-year-old Focuses and Outbacks.

Maybe, someday, when all this is over I will revisit. But for now I need something to drive and I'm not committing to any kind of a payment with all this uncertainty.
      For the vast majority of America, it’s a terrible time to make a commitment as large as a car. There are few jobs that are untouchable in the current climate. It’s best to stay liquid.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-22-2020 12:05 AM #92
      Yeah, I’m surprised by anyone making big purchases right now. My financial anxiety is really high, no one knows how this thing is going to shake out yet.

19. Member
      Cars
      2013 Corolla, TBA
      03-22-2020 12:17 AM #93
      Anybody who works for a publicly traded company should probably have their butt clenched right now.

I'm in that "enemy of the people" business and our numbers/metrics are fantastic right now (would give that up in a heartbeat FWIW, if it meant this horrible situation would go away), but it doesn't matter how good we perform right now. If our stock is down by the time this is all over, people be getting laid off left and right.
      Last edited by Roboturner913; 03-22-2020 at 12:19 AM.

Cars
      2019 Golf R; 2013 Audi TT RS
      03-22-2020 01:02 AM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Yeah, I’m surprised by anyone making big purchases right now. My financial anxiety is really high, no one knows how this thing is going to shake out yet.
      You better hope people in industries not directly impacted by this situation continue buying, or you'll see an economic depression like no one has seen before

03-22-2020 02:26 AM #95
      Due to me getting a permanent company car, I am going to need to consolidate down to one vehicle.

I was thinking this is the year I just go ahead and treat myself to something really nicr, but looks like another old Toyota truck that covers all the bases is the prudent decision.

Even in just the past week, I have seen the deals on private party used vehicles starting to pop up, and they are only going to get better, as people start missing paychecks.

I hate to be a vulture in this situation, and won't be going for the jugular in haggling someone down, who lost their jobs. However there will be blood in the streets, and lots of people will be doing anything to get the anchor of too much car off of their necks.

4 people in my close friend group are already laid off, and one just bought a $45,000 car at the beginning of the year. Another was a idiot and rolled over negative equity into her new car, and is driving the world most expensive RDX right now.

Those $700 payments weren't bad just a few months ago, but man that is going to be blood money after a few months of no checks.

22. 03-22-2020 10:29 AM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      You better hope people in industries not directly impacted by this situation continue buying, or you'll see an economic depression like no one has seen before
      I work in healthcare for a company that makes 3 billion a quarter. I think My job is safe ; just launched some covid-19 related deliverables. However, even with that safety net, I’m very cautious about buying right now,

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-22-2020 10:37 AM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      I totally get that, but still, I hope folks are making smart decisions. I know lots of people still have very secure jobs so no reason not to take advantage of great deals.

24. 03-22-2020 11:09 AM #98
      I work for the Dow Jones company that makes N95 masks...

...but I don't work in that division...

...but I do work in a division that makes products and is effectively supply chain for the pharma companies making vaccines, etc....

...and when eeveryone else was banging out huge profits we weren't doing super hot as a whole and we laid off like 3-4% of our company already in 2019 so we could whether future storms...
      Last edited by puma1552; 03-22-2020 at 11:18 AM.

03-22-2020 11:40 AM #99
      I can't post details, but many companies already shifted production of N95 respirators, PPE's, air filters, etc... from China to the US and working 24/7

26. 03-22-2020 11:45 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      I can't post details, but many companies already shifted production of N95 respirators, PPE's, air filters, etc... from China to the US and working 24/7
      That was hinted during Mike Pence’s press conferences. The waive liabillity to fast trak.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast