Fourtitude.com - Corona-virus - great time for car shopping
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    1. 03-15-2020 12:02 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      OP is America in a nutshell. "Sure, might kill any elderly people I come in contact with.... but a deal is a deal"
      Hey, at least I am not selling hand sanitizer at 500% markup

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      03-15-2020 01:48 PM #27
      Not that I need a new car now. If you happen to be in Spain though, you'll just have to wait.

4. Member
      Cars
      Boring silver appliance w/rear disc brakes & TuRD Japan shift knob
      03-15-2020 02:50 PM #28
      Going to Carmax later in the week, I wonder if I look and don't buy, will they start lowering the prices?

03-15-2020 03:16 PM #29
      I texted the sales rep where I bought my last car from asking him if they see the impact yet, he replied "The store seems to slow down, not crazy but noticeable... All the deals I've made this month were previous customers"

Cars
      19 GLI S, 17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      03-16-2020 09:25 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      I texted the sales rep where I bought my last car from asking him if they see the impact yet, he replied "The store seems to slow down, not crazy but noticeable... All the deals I've made this month were previous customers"

On Saturday when I signed for the GLI, I was surprised to see folks in ALL of their glass walled offices actively negotiating. I though it would be a ghost town, wrong.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

7. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-16-2020 11:41 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      OP is America in a nutshell. "Sure, might kill any elderly people I come in contact with.... but a deal is a deal"
      I think you're looking to be offended here. Ads for crazy sales and low interest rates are all over the place, cars, travel, retail, even the fed is doing whatever they can to prop up activity. You can't help but consider what's out there.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      03-16-2020 11:59 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      I think you're looking to be offended here. Ads for crazy sales and low interest rates are all over the place, cars, travel, retail, even the fed is doing whatever they can to prop up activity. You can't help but consider what's out there.
      Exactly right. With the status of corona changing daily and related news moving in a largely negative direction, I think there's certain a rationale for getting people into a car right now vs waiting a couple of weeks and risking dealers closing. I will say that that I bought a watch last week from an authorized dealer in Florida. 3 weeks ago when I initially had some email interactions with a salesman from this store, I was given the impression that they would not match gray market prices. I then decided to take my time, keep an eye out for other opps, and pay off a little bit of debt. After 3 weeks, I decided to give the dealer a call and immediately I got gray market pricing. Done deal. I would not be surprised if car dealers are also offering strong deals for what's on their lots right now.

9. Member
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      03-16-2020 02:10 PM #33
      Was in the market anyway, but I might take it one further and be buying a new home.

A little nerve-racking
      Last edited by JackStraw79; 03-16-2020 at 03:12 PM.

Cars
      A Fancy Nissan
      03-16-2020 03:03 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      Was in the market anyway, but I might taking it one further and be buying a new home.

A little nerve-racking
      I'll be refinancing, was already planning to, but this makes it a "lets do it now" kind of thing.

I may also take the opportunity to get out of my lease and into a purchased "new to me" used vehicle if I can finagle a good enough deal that washes out the ~$6K in negative equity that would typically come along with the current pay off status of my lease.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

11. 03-16-2020 07:52 PM #35
      The next month or two is when you'll see real deals. the marketing BS people are so slow to respond and offer any new money or incentives. It's ALWAYS monthly or quarterly, that mindset is built into their DNA.

My bet is April-August, when the SHTF and we know where things are going you are going to see the best car deals in a decade, and a LOT of dealers going out of business or living on floorplan credits hoping for another bailout.

12. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      03-16-2020 09:06 PM #36

13. 03-16-2020 10:10 PM #37
      I am officially in a "Shelter in place" which is essentially lock-down if you dont work in essential services (supermarket, mail, healthcare).
      So basically, I cant even go look at cars this weekend. Wonder how this is going to fare.

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      03-16-2020 10:13 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by mrspeedmaster View Post
      I am officially in a "Shelter in place" which is essentially lock-down if you dont work in essential services (supermarket, mail, healthcare).
      So basically, I cant even go look at cars this weekend. Wonder how this is going to fare.
      Me too.

Though with newly low interest rates I might see to re-finance my current loan...

15. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      03-16-2020 10:47 PM #39
      OP should ask the dealer to throw in 2-3 of those gigantic commercial TP rolls into the deal.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

16. 03-16-2020 11:01 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      I'll be refinancing, was already planning to, but this makes it a "lets do it now" kind of thing.

I may also take the opportunity to get out of my lease and into a purchased "new to me" used vehicle if I can finagle a good enough deal that washes out the ~$6K in negative equity that would typically come along with the current pay off status of my lease.
      Careful on the refi, mortgage rates are volatile...my credit union's rates have changed almost every day for the last couple weeks and have swung anywhere between 3.25 and 4.00 on a 30 year conventional. Rates actually went up today to 4.00 after the rate cut announcement.

03-16-2020 11:32 PM #41
      I think everyone should wait a few weeks to do there car shopping. The scope of the damage to the economy hasn't sunk in yet.

Cars
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      03-17-2020 07:32 AM #42
      VW shutting down production lines by friday (as they just opened up china ones)

Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Careful on the refi, mortgage rates are volatile...my credit union's rates have changed almost every day for the last couple weeks and have swung anywhere between 3.25 and 4.00 on a 30 year conventional. Rates actually went up today to 4.00 after the rate cut announcement.
      the spreads are very bad, most have said due to shortage of workers, not to increase demands, and profit

Cars
      2017 Passat SE
      03-17-2020 08:21 AM #43
      Payment free from Ford and Hyundai.

Hyundai, Ford offer coronavirus payment relief https://a.msn.com/r/2/BB11h13Y?m=en-us

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
      --Pete--

20. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      03-17-2020 08:30 AM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by HI SPEED View Post
      I think everyone should wait a few weeks to do there car shopping. The scope of the damage to the economy hasn't sunk in yet.
      Agreed.
      I've heard talk of reviving Cash for Clunkers, if car sales continue to drop and the economy crashes.
      With most countries on lockdown and Wall Street unstable, does anyone actually feel secure enough in the future of their jobs, to even consider buying a new car? My priorities are keeping the roof over my head, food on the table, and any funds after that will be banked. I have a currently reliable car. Buying a new one, in this climate, is so far from a priority.

21. Member
      Cars
      2015 VW GTI SE
      03-17-2020 08:34 AM #45
      On a side note, the Chrysler 300/Dodge Charger has gone from Carpocalypse to potential Carpocalypse II without any platform updates.
      It is truly the cockroach of the automotive world!

03-17-2020 08:52 AM #46
      Personally I think we are just at the beginning of a very large downward slide. I would not be buying anything right now until the shelter in place orders are lifted and we start seeing daylight on the other side, and from what I am reading, we're looking at 2-6 months of that.

And if that is the case, we're heading towards a pretty bad recession.

For those reasons, I am not interested in buying until things like my job are assured. So I am in "wait and see" mode right now.

However.....I do have a Highlander lease coming due in less than 1 year's time.....
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

Cars
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      03-17-2020 09:35 AM #47
      So I bought two cars last week. I got a great deal on my Fiesta ST and paid cash, so no worries there.

The Cross Sport also landed a great deal and ended up financing for 48 months and had zero negative equity in the XC60 trade.

I'm not too worried about my daily life changing too much as my position is considered "essential" as part of the supply chain. (commercial trucking) I also have the ability to work from home if a lockdown were to be put in effect in my area.

I really view it as a buyers market and more so in the coming months. I do think it varies on an person to person basis though. I have no concerns with my recent purchases, but someone in a "non-essential" position will certainly feel differently.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

03-17-2020 10:13 AM #48
      We've got a 8 week mandate to not have gatherings larger than 50 people. So the profession that I just got out of is going to be hurt, big time. But I jumped into car sales, so I'm not sure if that's any better. I'm just waiting on FCA to roll out ridiculous incentives so we can get busy again.

Chris
      | 20 Ram | 11 JLU Sport | 01 BMW 740 iL | 74 SuperBeetle | 62 Ford Unibody | The poster formerly known as 200HP4dr

25. Member
      Cars
      2013 VW CC 3.6 4mo
      03-17-2020 10:46 AM #49
      Drunk driver totalled my wife's A3 last Thursday, so we're shopping for a replacement - probably will be a week or so before we get a check from insurance, so we have a loaner car and both of us are working from home right now. Salespeople seem very eager to make a sale right now, but listed pricing hasn't really changed over the past week or two. I'm curious to see if new inventory of used cars slows down since fewer people are trading in now. I check listings daily, and for the few cars we have in our search, not a lot of inventory movement seems to have occurred.

Cars
      06 4runner
      03-17-2020 11:13 AM #50
      I put off replacing my 4runner this year, due to what is going on. I work in the Hospitality industry, that provides marking and reporting services to Hotels and Resorts. I work in Engineering, so we have not really seen any changes, as we have a lot of new projects that will keep us busy for the next two quarters. Granted if the whole industry shuts down for several months, it's going to be hard to sell a service that is not needed. I am just lucky that my Wife works for our local utility company, so her job is most likely safe. Plus, if she stays working remote for the next three months we will save $50 a week in gas, plus we are eating out a lot less.

Yes, a lot of people will lose there jobs over this virus and many will lose a lot of money in the market, but there are jobs that will be needed to keep things going. I could get a job right now delivering groceries for our local grocery store if I wanted. Keep in mind this virus has a high recovery rate for those who are under 60 years old, we just don't have anything really to stop it from spreading, besides avoiding close contact with people.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast