VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Removing Scratches from a New Car Headlight

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  nc_detail_garage 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Car Detailing Forumers,

First post, so hopefully it's not a repeat question. I recently bought a brand new Golf R Wagon and within two weeks of having it, I noticed scratches on the headlight. They're small but it still gets to me. What are the steps to remove these scratches? Do I need to use polisher and buff it out? Do I need to use sandpaper? It's new so I'm thinking some of the steps can be skipped. I've attached a photo to show the extent of the scratches.

Here is the image URL incase img link is broken:

https://ibb.co/0hVf3hR

Appreciate all advice.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I would tape off the area and limit any repair to just the scratch as you'll want to maintain the factory clear as much as possible. That said, I would start w/ least aggressive. These plastic headlights can take a solid polish though.

For 'full' headlight restorations, I typically do 600 grit, 800 grit, 1500 grit, 2500 grit, heavy compound on wool pad, medium compound on microfiber. Protection either ppf or headlight ceramic.

For this, I would start w/ the medium compound on microfiber. If you don't have a machine, just tape off the area and do by hand. I'd avoid any sanding unless you have a polisher.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.