Fourtitude.com - Diesel Brothers Hit With $850,000 Fine for Tampering With Truck Emissions
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Cars
      RS3, JKU
      03-10-2020 04:55 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      Its easy to say that these guys deserve this, they do. But I am afraid that these same tactics will be used to clamp down on aftermarket parts businesses and owners of modified cars. Do we now lock down all ECUs so you can't add boost, fuel, etc? Any car that gets some engine/ecu modifications can potentially pollute more than stock.
      It will probably happen eventually. I mean this is really no different than APR offering a stage 2 (cat removed) tune. If they can tune and also meet emissions, great.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6, 2006 CR-V
      03-10-2020 04:56 PM #27
      It's my understanding that APR's tunes will pass emissions in all states besides California? Did I read that right?
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      03-10-2020 05:03 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      It's my understanding that APR's tunes will pass emissions in all states besides California? Did I read that right?
      Maybe stage 1. No way a catless tune does.

5. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      03-10-2020 05:09 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Maybe stage 1. No way a catless tune does.
      There's no warning for regular stage 2 tunes (single pulley and dual pulley) for the Q7, but then when you click on the stage 2 ultra, which comes with new supercharger, there's this guy in red:

"NOTICE: THIS MOTORSPORT/RACING PRODUCT IS NOT DESIGNED TO MEET ANY FEDERAL EMISSIONS STANDARDS IN THE USA AND IS NOT FOR STREET OR HIGHWAY USE. THIS PRODUCT IS NOT C.A.R.B. COMPLIANT AND IS NOT FOR SALE OR USE IN CALIFORNIA, USA. APR MAKES NO CLAIMS THIS PRODUCT COMPLIES WITH ANY EMISSION LAWS IN ANY JURISDICTION. IT IS ENTIRELY THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PURCHASER TO INFORM THEMSELVES OF ANY LAWS OR REGULATIONS WHICH MAY PROHIBIT USE OF THIS PRODUCT."

Also worth noting that is now all over their exhaust systems too.
      Instagram - efrie004

You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Cars
      2010 Lexus GX460, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 2008 Mini Clubman sent packing.
      03-10-2020 05:20 PM #30
      It makes me happy to see that most everyone here is the "f these guys" camp.
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

7. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      03-10-2020 05:22 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      It makes me happy to see that most everyone here is the "f these guys" camp.
      Yep.

I like fast vehicles, I also like fast trucks, but there's a way to go about it that doesn't turn your truck into a soot factory.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      03-10-2020 05:22 PM #32
      APR, etc are 50-state. Gas tuning ≠ Diesel tuning.

Cars
      '17 BMW i3 BEV, '16 BMW i3 BEV, '13 FiST
      03-10-2020 05:23 PM #33
      Good!

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      03-10-2020 05:25 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      APR, etc are 50-state. Gas tuning ≠ Diesel tuning.
      See, this is why it's a grey area

There is no way a stage two catless tune is 50 state. However I would believe a stage two catted setup might actually pass an emissions test, because you are generally driving gently. So then APR can just hold their hands up and say "we never knew zippy used his catless downpipe and tune on road." I don't think that argument will hold much water. I'm also not sure if precedent has been set on this legally yet.

Cars
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      03-10-2020 05:34 PM #35

There is no way a stage two catless tune is 50 state. However I would believe a stage two catted setup might actually pass an emissions test, because you are generally driving gently. So then APR can just hold their hands up and say "we never knew zippy used his catless downpipe and tune on road." I don't think that argument will hold much water. I'm also not sure if precedent has been set on this legally yet.
      Tune. Meaning ECU and that's it.

12. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      03-10-2020 05:39 PM #36

Depends on the vehicle. Like I said, for the supercharged V6 on the Q7, both of the stage 2 tunes (single and double pulley) do not require modified exhaust, so they don't get the warning.

However, if you go to a 2.0L A3 and click on the stage 2 tune, in bright red it says that it's not legal in any state. This is because it says a race DP is required.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      03-10-2020 05:43 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      Tune. Meaning ECU and that's it.
      Ok... But a diesel with just a basic tune will also pass emissions

Cars
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      03-10-2020 05:43 PM #38
      A lot of emission laws are confusing to me. In PA some counties require emission testing, others do not. I live in a county that it is required, but 4 miles down the road is a county that does not. When I went for my last SI/EM inspection they scanned my owners card and it stated that an emissions test was not required for my vehicle. I asked why and they told me it was due to the township I lived in.

Good for these goons though. Hopefully this will trickle down to the bros that ruins their trucks by installing 3 foot stacks through the bed of their trucks.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

Cars
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      03-10-2020 07:52 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by dubsix View Post
      Yup and yet so many people love de-catting their car (gas) for more power and even list it as a mod
      I remember back in my Corrado days in the late 90s and people would brag about removing the cat to get 7hp. Look, I was/am not exactly a tree-hugger, but there's a point at which removing emissions equipment is just ridiculous

Its easy to say that these guys deserve this, they do. But I am afraid that these same tactics will be used to clamp down on aftermarket parts businesses and owners of modified cars. Do we now lock down all ECUs so you can't add boost, fuel, etc? Any car that gets some engine/ecu modifications can potentially pollute more than stock.
      Honestly, we've been hearing this for so long; at the rate at which things are (very slowly) proceeding with aftermarket 'crackdowns', we'll all be driving EVs long before they get around to caring about mainstream vehicle modding. I think of this more as the regulators going after the most blatant, low-hanging fruit, as a message to all. By smacking down those who flagrantly wave it all in everyone's face, it sends a message, doesn't require a whole lot of work on their part, etc.
      They don't have the resources to go after the many many smaller outfits or people doing stuff at home in their garage.

Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      A lot of emission laws are confusing to me. In PA some counties require emission testing, others do not. I live in a county that it is required, but 4 miles down the road is a county that does not. When I went for my last SI/EM inspection they scanned my owners card and it stated that an emissions test was not required for my vehicle. I asked why and they told me it was due to the township I lived in.
      yup, it was the same back when in lived in WA. Some counties require it, some counties don't. *shrug* less work for you!

I've owned a lot of vehicles over the years, and never had an issue other than "gotta get this car hot before the test!" maybe once or twice. But, I can see how it's an issue for poorer folks driving older cars who can't see putting $1500 worth of cats into a $500 clunker they just need to get to their job and back.
      Supercar owners: If your housekeeper can afford to register their car in your state, so can you.
      We've got an amazing country; don't like the taxes in your state, you can just move. How many other countries have this freedom?

16. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-10-2020 08:03 PM #40
      That’s just it, though. These idiots “rolling coal” are likely to bring the hammer down on everyone.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      15 Rav4
      03-10-2020 08:10 PM #41
      Meh.

Discovery Channel will foot the bill.

18. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-10-2020 08:13 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Honestly, we've been hearing this for so long; at the rate at which things are (very slowly) proceeding with aftermarket 'crackdowns', we'll all be driving EVs long before they get around to caring about mainstream vehicle modding. I think of this more as the regulators going after the most blatant, low-hanging fruit, as a message to all. By smacking down those who flagrantly wave it all in everyone's face, it sends a message, doesn't require a whole lot of work on their part, etc.
      They don't have the resources to go after the many many smaller outfits or people doing stuff at home in their garage.
      The fact that it was a TV show even more so. I mean, as a rule we aren’t diesel truck guys, yet here we are talking about it.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

03-10-2020 08:57 PM #43
      This dude knows so much about diesel engines it is truly amazing. When he dies the world is going to lose a lot of knowledge. He was even consulted by GM about cylinder head design for the L5P Duramax to get the chamber swirl optimized.
      I don't mean this in a dark way, but if he's healthy enough he may actually outlive the diesel engine even being used in light duty vehicles in the USA entirely. I mean could he live another 20 years? I could see the year 2040 being the last year that we still sell diesel engines in light duty trucks in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
      Meh.

Discovery Channel will foot the bill.
      Discovery is closely allied with a lot of environmentalism though thanks to so much of their other media portfolio relying on Earth-type stuff. The show might get dropped because it damages the corporate image of Discovery, Inc.

Cars
      15 Rav4
      03-10-2020 09:29 PM #44
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      Discovery is closely allied with a lot of environmentalism though thanks to so much of their other media portfolio relying on Earth-type stuff. The show might get dropped because it damages the corporate image of Discovery, Inc.
      Placer gold mining in Alaska and street racing in Memphis do give environmentalists the warm & fuzzies...

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      03-10-2020 09:35 PM #45
      That's the end goal, yes.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

22. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-10-2020 10:09 PM #46
      Hope the enviro weenies set their sights on popcorn tunes next

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

23. Member
      Cars
      2016 GSW TSI, AT, Comfortline, H&R street performance coil-overs
      03-10-2020 10:17 PM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      I don't mean this in a dark way, but if he's healthy enough he may actually outlive the diesel engine even being used in light duty vehicles in the USA entirely. I mean could he live another 20 years? I could see the year 2040 being the last year that we still sell diesel engines in light duty trucks in the USA.

I can’t elaborate, but I will just say it will be the height of irony if they drop the show to protect their image—you have no idea how dirty their hands are.
      Speaking of dirty, I think diesels will be around a lot longer than 20yrs in light trucks, although I’m sure you’re right for places like California who are willing to legislate them out whether it makes sense in the big picture or not.

03-11-2020 12:14 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      That's the end goal, yes.
      No it isn't. The end goal is fully electric cars. The quicker we transition the fleet away from petrol cars, the less at risk lawful tuners are since they'll be serving an ever-shrinking fan base anyway and individual car emissions won't matter as much when there's so many fewer ICE vehicles anyway. I'd hate to see engine tuning banned in our final couple decades of even having ICE cars.

Cars
      '17 BMW i3 BEV, '16 BMW i3 BEV, '13 FiST
      03-11-2020 03:13 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Hope the enviro weenies set their sights on popcorn tunes next

Drifting, I'm surprised it's not banned as a sport yet.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

26. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-11-2020 06:59 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      Drifting, I'm surprised it's not banned as a sport yet.
      Amateur motorsport is a drop in the bucket compared to trucks on the road doing thousands of miles a year

I do think some clampdowns on pro motorsport travel emissions are overdue. I follow MotoGP and the way the calendar zigzags is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by QUIRKiT View Post
      I spent my entire season budget during the off-season on go fast parts, so now I'm wishing I hadn't and had saved a little so I could buy a sim rig.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast