Fourtitude.com - Buy a house = buy a truck?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      03-09-2020 08:06 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      OP is overthinking things. Having a pickup truck as a homeowner isn't the best option. You don't want a utility trailer, either. What you need is a pickup truck friend. With the pickup truck friend you get all the pluses of having a pickup truck and a moving company at just a fraction of the price. The minivan friend is also a perfectly workable, and in some situations superior alternative.
      It's why I told him not to tell his friends if he does get a truck, otherwise he will become the ​truck friend.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      03-09-2020 08:13 PM #27
      This is true, but to be fair I do think that landscaping can be a truck-heavy activity and that can pop up at least a couple times a year. I have a giant area in my yard were I've stacked up lots of dead branches, brush, and other weeds that I don't really know how to get rid of. Trucking in gravel or mulch would also be nice, too.
      My Hyundai and a little 4x8" folding trailer has tackled these jobs with ease.

[edit]That being said... I had an '84 Ranger as my first vehicle ever, and I have always had the itch to go back to having a little compact truck. So I think once the project motorcycles are gone and I've finished the refresh on the Lancer, I will build a homeowner truck. So it can have my own little twist on it.
      Last edited by turbinepowered; 03-09-2020 at 08:15 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Cars
      2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon, 2018 Silverado
      03-09-2020 08:17 PM #28
      I love my truck, 1/2 ton Chevy. It's smooth, comfortable and quiet. It cruises on the interstate.

I haven't carried anything in it that I couldn't have put in numerous hatchbacks, small SUV's and sports cars in the past, but when I do, it's easier. I live in the suburbs so there's always room to park. My wife loves it because "I feel so safe". I have an acre lot in a subdivision. The truck will last forever. I got a good deal. I will admit, it's big, but doesn't feel big anymore.

I don't need it, but I love it. It's a very versatile vehicle.

5. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      03-09-2020 08:41 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      If you own a ranch or a block of rental properties, yeah you need a truck. If you own one suburban single family home, no, you aren't giving up very much if you don't have a truck. Not even if you're the DIY type.
      This.

Unless you are doing a DIY renovation of the entire house, you don't need a truck.

I've owned a house for 10 years, and have borrowed a truck from friends/family on 4 occasions during that time. Two of those to move into/out of said house when we were renovating it.

Cars
      12' CTS-V, 03' Mazda Ranger
      03-09-2020 08:45 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by KrisA View Post

Also for real truck duty forget about those soccer mom trucks that most people have (4 doors, super short box), they suck. For real truck duty you need the working mans truck, minimum 7 foot box. We've put lots of things in dad's Ranger that would have never fit in the fancy pants new F150's that 95% of people buy.

Summary: either rent one when you need one or get a sub 3K Ranger.
      This.
      I bought my Mazda Ranger for about $2k and it has come in handy several times, not not enough to buy a brand new truck.. Not a terrible daily driver either.
      The past vehicles.
      93' Camaro-Sold, 87' Cabriolet-Sold, 87' Scirocco 16v-Sold, 85' Scirocco 8v-dead, 13' Jetta-dead, 87' Scirocco 16v-dead ,99' Acura TL-Sold, 80' Scirocco, DERPKOTA!, 13' WRX
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      Hell, you know those ancient cave paintings in France? I betcha those animals were really half the size that the hack scribbler drew.

Cars
      2019 Alltrack, 2018 Tiguan
      03-09-2020 08:47 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by 2000JettaGLXVR6 View Post
      VarianceVQ
      VigorousZX

Does this mean the tires on his van....erm...home went flat and it’s now immobile? Thus is now just a “home”
      /| OMGHAI |\

Cars
      2036 GooseBee Delux-'17 Blandmobile RS-'92 Miatadon BananaShade,'02 garden shed
      03-09-2020 08:59 PM #32
      The right answer here is borrow your dad’s truck
      Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Monkeys View Post
      If someone at GM is reading this, if you give me a Corvette and $28.5m, I'll hand-paint the body of it, I'll breed it with an AIBO, I'll convert it to a boat and drive across SF Bay, I'll drive it through the lobby of Mazda HQ in LA, I'll ship it to China and invade the Forbidden City in it, then I'll drive up to Baikonur in Kazakhstan and have it fired to geosynchronous orbit on a Zenit-3SL rocket.

Cars
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      03-09-2020 09:06 PM #33
      Trucking in gravel or mulch would also be nice, too.
      This would involve labor For a $75 delivery, most material yards will deliver everything needed for your project conveniently in your driveway. In fact, you can pay for a lot of deliveries with that truck cost and have a lot of money left over without breaking your back.

10. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      03-09-2020 09:10 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by burn_your_money View Post
      A utility trailer is all you need.
      Username does not check out.

Get a truck.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.

11. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      03-09-2020 09:10 PM #35
      You don’t need a truck, you need friends and family with a truck. Cook them dinner. Buy them beer/whiskey.

If you also want a boat/camper/ATV/snowmobile then you need a truck.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Cars
      2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      03-09-2020 09:17 PM #36
      Hey OP, if you're looking for an excuse to buy a truck, then buy one after you buy the house.

But do you need a truck? No. Not trying to sound braggy, but I've owned 3 old homes (1950-something, 1928, and currently 1939 fixer upper), have rental properties, and co-own a business that regularly does deliveries and offsite events. I've never had a truck. My GTI did come in handy a few times though.

13. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      03-09-2020 09:27 PM #37
      This is true, but to be fair I do think that landscaping can be a truck-heavy activity and that can pop up at least a couple times a year. I have a giant area in my yard were I've stacked up lots of dead branches, brush, and other weeds that I don't really know how to get rid of. Trucking in gravel or mulch would also be nice, too.
      Yeah, landscaping is a good use case for a truck. Lots of big/awkward/dirty stuff, or if you're doing patios, heavy. The bagged mulch and gravel goes fine in cars with tarps, but you certainly aren't going to go buy it in bulk from a quarry.

For your brush pile; can you wrap it up in a tarp like an xmas present and fit it in a car or SUV? That's how I typically handle that sort of situation; a truck bed ought to be tarped anyway.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      03-09-2020 09:40 PM #38
      I have owned multiple houses for 12+ years now. One of them I did a full on down to the cement walls renovation of the basement. I’ve never owned a truck. Everything that went into my basement except the drywall was hauled in my TSX or wife’s RDX. It can be done.

But, it’s not the best tool for the job. Often I had screwy situations like the below, and it was only the fact I was driving short distances on back roads that let me get away with it. And that doesn’t count the wear and tear on the interior. If you want a truck, and you have space and budget for a truck (or beater van/SUV) I bet it comes in handy way more than you think. But you can do without.

A3A76815-9DC3-4BD3-9E50-3190D34A96BD by Chris Stack, on Flickr

2B948062-8386-4CBF-BCB5-8D67DB6EC5A9 by Chris Stack, on Flickr

6DAD2AB0-E841-4728-9A06-5083F20FA5B8 by Chris Stack, on Flickr

C78693E8-690F-4743-8A96-438DD7ED6263 by Chris Stack, on Flickr
      Last edited by The_Real_Stack; 03-09-2020 at 09:48 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      03-09-2020 09:47 PM #39
      ^ A Bollinger would be nice.

16. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-09-2020 09:53 PM #40
      I've been in this house since 2014 and have never needed a truck

The one time I used one put me off completely. I rented a Uhaul pickup to get a freezer from a Sears outlet. Brought it home, it didn't work Had to rent another truck to take it back. Lowes' delivers, along with everyone else.

If you do a ****load of yardwork or w/e then it makes sense. But I was hauling wood in my 350Z. Most people who live in houses don't have pickup trucks.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      03-09-2020 09:56 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I've been in this house since 2014 and have never needed a truck

The one time I used one put me off completely. I rented a Uhaul pickup to get a freezer from a Sears outlet. Brought it home, it didn't work Had to rent another truck to take it back. Lowes' delivers, along with everyone else.

If you do a ****load of yardwork or w/e then it makes sense. But I was hauling wood in my 350Z. Most people who live in houses don't have pickup trucks.
      Like I said, you can do it, but not ideal. One time a bag of mulch split open in the back of my wife’s car, she bitched at me about it for like 2 weeks. Now we get mulch delivered.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

18. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-09-2020 10:12 PM #42
      Yea, if you're gonna be a homeowner, if it's not a brand new home you're gonna be spending some money on upkeep anyway. Paying to get mulch delivered is nothing in the context of new HVAC or roof work.

19. Just Going with the FLO. Strange Mud's Avatar
      Cars
      2017 GTI, 06 Taco, Rusty plow truck, 1955 MF tractor
      03-10-2020 06:46 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      The OP is asking if it's a good idea to get a truck. He didn't ask if it's a necessity. If it makes sense to him to have one in general, it's a nice to have. It's not a must. It's that simple.
      that...I like owning one but you can get away w/o one. The GTI is the first car I've had in a long time that makes me think I can get but w/o one (with roof rack) but my Taco has been paid for for a long time and it's easier to toss kayaks/lumber/etc in truck than roof rack of car. Depending on your $ consider waiting a year to see if you want one b4 jumping into purchase.

acreage/old house/diy person.

Mud

I really own 2 trucks as I also have a plow truck
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX
      On a side note long term EMF exposure in electric cars causes AIDS.

Cars
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      03-10-2020 07:42 AM #44
      My dad always had a truck of some sort growing up. When I became of driving age, I kinda laughed at him for not having a cooler vehicle, like a car. He told me that if I ever had a truck, I'd never want to be without one again.

Boy, was he right. When I bought my single family house, I mainly had a Jetta Sportwagen and then a 5-door Golf TDI. I got by with those vehicles, bringing stuff home from Lowes for bathroom remodels and garage supplies. Even bags of mulch/dirt. But then I traded the TDI in on the brand-spankin'-new BRZ and I realized I couldn't haul anything anymore. So I went out and found a 4-year-old base-model Ranger with 40k miles on it. And, man, was that a life-changer.

Not only was I able to not worry about where ever I took it, but I always had it right at my fingertips for whatever. Being able to find something (furniture, car parts, etc) on Craigslist and telling the guy "I'll be over now" instead of "I'll be over once I find/rent/borrow a suitable vehicle to pick up the item" was a great way to actually not have items sold out from under me. I could trim trees and throw 8- or 10-foot branches in my truck and take them to the dump rather than having to cut them up in to nice 4-foot sections to bundle them up for curbside pickup. That alone is a huge timesaver. Also, a bed-load of bulk mulch is $15, which is a lot cheaper and easier to deal with than going to Lowes and buying bag after bag. It's also saved me a bit of money on delivery costs. Instead of paying $200 to get one item delivered, I could pick it up for free 10 minutes from my house. Taking my lawnmower to get its blades sharpened is now a non-event.

In addition to all that stuff, I also use my truck for volunteer work (hauling tools & supplies around) and, yeah, moving stuff for friends and family (but hey, I actually like my friends and family, so it's okay).

I liked that Ranger so much that I sold it. I sold it and traded in my Golf R and got a new Ridgeline. I combined two vehicles into one nice driving vehicle that can haul stuff or go to the dump when necessary. And it's really convenient to have around. I don't have to worry about driving to a rental place, standing around there for a half our, renting a truck, driving back, and only then being able to get some real work accomplished.

Could I deal without having a truck? Yeah, sure I could. But having one is a lot more convenient than not. And I'm a lot less worried about hauling stuff in the truck than I would be trying to lay down a canvas drop cloth a car's cargo area to prevent scratching up the interior. And now with the Ridgeline, I've combined two cars into one and I have a vehicle that does daily commutes and road trips very well and I can throw stuff in the back without worrying about it. I's a great vehicle. It's even got V-Tec, yo!

Last edited by Smigelski; 03-10-2020 at 07:51 AM.

Cars
      '20 F-150 SCREW 2.7EB 4x4
      03-10-2020 07:58 AM #45
      After reading through more of this thread and seeing "you don't need, it's not hard to do it in X," etc etc... I will say this. Hardly anyone ever needs a pickup truck, but..

..when you're balls deep in a project and you need to go to the store to get materials, or you are cleaning up, not having to..

• fold seats down and lay a tarp to dispose of garbage/demo
      • **** around in the parking lot moving things around in your vehicle
      • worry about possibly scratching interior panels
      • worry about staining/spilling/getting your interior dirty
      • worry about fitment, period

..is worth $1,000,000. You're generally already frustrated, focused, worked up or in a hurry. Adding inconvenience to that is a recipe for disaster at least for me. I get impatient, I cut corners, I get frustrated and sometimes angry. Jumping in my little yet capable pickup and heading to the store for just about anything, walking out and just huffing it in the bed - perfection.

Realizing I'm one bag short on mulch and having to run back to the store after spending 6 hours in the sun, throwing it in the back of my hatchback/suv/wagon and the bag tears and spills contents out? 0-100 real quick.

Cars
      '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      03-10-2020 08:28 AM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by fireside View Post
      After reading through more of this thread and seeing "you don't need, it's not hard to do it in X," etc etc... I will say this. Hardly anyone ever needs a pickup truck, but..

..when you're balls deep in a project and you need to go to the store to get materials, or you are cleaning up, not having to..

• fold seats down and lay a tarp to dispose of garbage/demo
      • **** around in the parking lot moving things around in your vehicle
      • worry about possibly scratching interior panels
      • worry about staining/spilling/getting your interior dirty
      • worry about fitment, period

..is worth $1,000,000. You're generally already frustrated, focused, worked up or in a hurry. Adding inconvenience to that is a recipe for disaster at least for me. I get impatient, I cut corners, I get frustrated and sometimes angry. Jumping in my little yet capable pickup and heading to the store for just about anything, walking out and just huffing it in the bed - perfection.

Realizing I'm one bag short on mulch and having to run back to the store after spending 6 hours in the sun, throwing it in the back of my hatchback/suv/wagon and the bag tears and spills contents out? 0-100 real quick.
      ^^^This.

But yeah, love having the Tundra for the last 2.5 years. So nice when we need it for truck stuff. Of course I'll be the first to admit that we probably only use it for truck stuff ~20% of the time.

But now I want a Raptor since I've found they can be had new < 50K. Extended cab, poverty spec, but still...
      Current: '17 Tundra, '16 3 GT
      Past/Sold: '13 Evo, '08 Si, '12 Mustang GT, '03 Evo VIII, '01 Golf 1.8T

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      03-10-2020 08:36 AM #47
      I have a giant area in my yard were I've stacked up lots of dead branches, brush, and other weeds that I don't really know how to get rid of.
      Fire Pit and beer.

Trucking in gravel or mulch would also be nice, too.
      Mulch, sure... but gravel is a totally different animal.
      I ordered 5 tons of pea gravel for a project. $250 delivered by an actual truck. Some things are better farmed out.
      It's comforting to know there's always a chronically angry person at the ready to correct my think.
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 205k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 120k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

24. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it, 2017 Acura MDX
      03-10-2020 08:42 AM #48
      Trucks are pretty useful when you're a homeowner, but I always have hated owning more than one vehicle. I bought a truck and sold my E90 when I bought my house and regretted it almost instantly. I'm much happier with my utility trailer setup, I get to drive a fun vehicle when I'm not hauling something, and when I need to haul, I've got more load capacity than my truck ever did.

25. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      03-10-2020 08:43 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      Fire Pit and beer.

Mulch, sure... but gravel is a totally different animal.
      I ordered 5 tons of pea gravel for a project. $250 delivered by an actual truck. Some things are better farmed out.
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Cars
      2013 Infiniti G37x Coupe
      03-10-2020 08:51 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      My dad always had a truck of some sort growing up. When I became of driving age, I kinda laughed at him for not having a cooler vehicle, like a car. He told me that if I ever had a truck, I'd never want to be without one again.

Boy, was he right. When I bought my single family house, I mainly had a Jetta Sportwagen and then a 5-door Golf TDI. I got by with those vehicles, bringing stuff home from Lowes for bathroom remodels and garage supplies. Even bags of mulch/dirt. But then I traded the TDI in on the brand-spankin'-new BRZ and I realized I couldn't haul anything anymore. So I went out and found a 4-year-old base-model Ranger with 40k miles on it. And, man, was that a life-changer.

Not only was I able to not worry about where ever I took it, but I always had it right at my fingertips for whatever. Being able to find something (furniture, car parts, etc) on Craigslist and telling the guy "I'll be over now" instead of "I'll be over once I find/rent/borrow a suitable vehicle to pick up the item" was a great way to actually not have items sold out from under me. I could trim trees and throw 8- or 10-foot branches in my truck and take them to the dump rather than having to cut them up in to nice 4-foot sections to bundle them up for curbside pickup. That alone is a huge timesaver. Also, a bed-load of bulk mulch is $15, which is a lot cheaper and easier to deal with than going to Lowes and buying bag after bag. It's also saved me a bit of money on delivery costs. Instead of paying $200 to get one item delivered, I could pick it up for free 10 minutes from my house. Taking my lawnmower to get its blades sharpened is now a non-event.

In addition to all that stuff, I also use my truck for volunteer work (hauling tools & supplies around) and, yeah, moving stuff for friends and family (but hey, I actually like my friends and family, so it's okay).

I liked that Ranger so much that I sold it. I sold it and traded in my Golf R and got a new Ridgeline. I combined two vehicles into one nice driving vehicle that can haul stuff or go to the dump when necessary. And it's really convenient to have around. I don't have to worry about driving to a rental place, standing around there for a half our, renting a truck, driving back, and only then being able to get some real work accomplished.

Could I deal without having a truck? Yeah, sure I could. But having one is a lot more convenient than not. And I'm a lot less worried about hauling stuff in the truck than I would be trying to lay down a canvas drop cloth a car's cargo area to prevent scratching up the interior. And now with the Ridgeline, I've combined two cars into one and I have a vehicle that does daily commutes and road trips very well and I can throw stuff in the back without worrying about it. I's a great vehicle. It's even got V-Tec, yo!

That's really the line of thinking I was going with. I'm the type of person that likes to cut out as much of the middleman/waiting when I can do it myself stuff as much as possible. That's why I was thinking a cheaper beater truck would be nice to have around for those maintenance/updating projects I anticipate to be taking on.
      Nirvana.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast