Fourtitude.com - Buy a house = buy a truck?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      18 Taco, 83 GTI
      03-10-2020 08:53 AM #51
      I had this same dilemma when we bought our house two years ago. We were needing a vehicle anyways so I ended up taking advantage of the cheap lease deals on a 2018 Tacoma double cab long bed (6ft).

Since we've done some major remodeling on our house (kitchen/bathroom/garage/siding, etc.) it's been incredibly handy to have around. As others have said, it's a game changer for many reasons, however, one the lease is up I doubt another *nice* truck is in my future. It's still a newer very expensive vehicle that I constantly worry about damaging due to what we've used it for which kind of defeats the purpose of a truck IMO.

A cheaper used truck would be ideal but after factoring in operating costs of owning an extra vehicle it's probably cheaper just have everything delivered or rent the HD trucks when needed.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '00 GTI 1.8t
      03-10-2020 08:55 AM #52
      In my 17 years of home ownership, I've gone through the following scenarios:
      - Fullsize SUV (K5 Blazer): With the back seat out and tailgate down, it was great for sheet goods. With the center console removed, I brought home a 12' long roll of vinyl flooring
      - Mazda 6 Wagon: remodeled a bathroom with toilet boxes strapped to the roof. Tub came home with the liftgate up.
      - Borrowed father's pickup (full size, ext cab, 6'6" bed): various dump runs for lots of items. Somehow brought home 20' boards with it a couple of times. Nice, but coordinating can be tricky.
      - My own pickup (1992 F-250 RCLB 4x4). Paid $1850 for it, put about $1500 into it. Sold it for $3k 3 years later (this past fall). This was awesome. 8' bed is the best. I was building a shed at the time. Hauled stone, mulch, 12' 6x6s and other lumber, lots of dump runs. I miss it, but it sucked as a family car.
      - Back to FS SUV (1st gen Sequoia). Currently building a privacy fence in my back yard. 6' long pickets fit with the second row folded and the third row removed. 8' sticks fits diagonal. 10' sticks fit between the front seats. Only downside is 8' sheets are too long. I rented a 5' x 8' Utility trailer this past weekend to bring home fence panels and posts and then haul the old fence and brush to the dump. Other advantage of the SUV is I have seats for 8 at other times.

So you don't need one, but I have enjoyed having some kind of utility vehicle.

4. Just Going with the FLO. Strange Mud's Avatar
      Cars
      2017 GTI, 06 Taco, Rusty plow truck, 1955 MF tractor
      03-10-2020 08:56 AM #53
      something to figure into calculations....at least in NE used truck prices are rather steep.
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX
      On a side note long term EMF exposure in electric cars causes AIDS.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      03-10-2020 09:02 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post

I liked that Ranger so much that I sold it. I sold it and traded in my Golf R and got a new Ridgeline.
      To me, this is why the Ridgeline is such a good option. It can do enough work for most people, but isn't the overkill of a fullsizer. Personally though, add me to the list of people who own a house and don't own (or really need) a truck. If I was constantly fixing my house or renovating the whole thing over time, I'd definitely be considering something in the truck family. For standard maintenance needs however, our Tucson has been awesome. If you the OP wants a truck, buy one, but the house really isn't the excuse for one.

Cars
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      03-10-2020 09:08 AM #55
      When I bought my first house, I used it as an excuse to get a car I’d wanted since HS, the venerated 4.0L XJ Cherokee. Paid $1,000 for a 1997 with 165k on it in 2011.

Sold it in 2013 because I thought I could get by with a manual station wagon and utility trailer. That lasted another 2 years before I bought a Nissan Frontier.

Along the same lines as above, it was incredibly handy to have, not only around the house but also with project cars. While the price of used trucks is kind of insane, you do make it up on the back end if you get the right one - although I will say that anything under $5k is generally clapped out around here, which is why I only spent a grand on my ‘02 Silverado 1500. I figured if I was gonna get a beater truck, I might as well only pay a grand for it. I think parts trucks go for more, but this one still has good life left in it so I lucked out.

Next time I’ll take advantage of my folks living down in FL and source a rust-free truck down there. I have not enjoyed taking a rust shower every time I’ve gone under the Silverado to work on it.

Cars
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      03-10-2020 09:18 AM #56
      My dad always had a truck of some sort growing up. When I became of driving age, I kinda laughed at him for not having a cooler vehicle, like a car. He told me that if I ever had a truck, I'd never want to be without one again.

Boy, was he right. When I bought my single family house, I mainly had a Jetta Sportwagen and then a 5-door Golf TDI. I got by with those vehicles, bringing stuff home from Lowes for bathroom remodels and garage supplies. Even bags of mulch/dirt. But then I traded the TDI in on the brand-spankin'-new BRZ and I realized I couldn't haul anything anymore. So I went out and found a 4-year-old base-model Ranger with 40k miles on it. And, man, was that a life-changer.

Not only was I able to not worry about where ever I took it, but I always had it right at my fingertips for whatever. Being able to find something (furniture, car parts, etc) on Craigslist and telling the guy "I'll be over now" instead of "I'll be over once I find/rent/borrow a suitable vehicle to pick up the item" was a great way to actually not have items sold out from under me. I could trim trees and throw 8- or 10-foot branches in my truck and take them to the dump rather than having to cut them up in to nice 4-foot sections to bundle them up for curbside pickup. That alone is a huge timesaver. Also, a bed-load of bulk mulch is $15, which is a lot cheaper and easier to deal with than going to Lowes and buying bag after bag. It's also saved me a bit of money on delivery costs. Instead of paying $200 to get one item delivered, I could pick it up for free 10 minutes from my house. Taking my lawnmower to get its blades sharpened is now a non-event.

In addition to all that stuff, I also use my truck for volunteer work (hauling tools & supplies around) and, yeah, moving stuff for friends and family (but hey, I actually like my friends and family, so it's okay).

I liked that Ranger so much that I sold it. I sold it and traded in my Golf R and got a new Ridgeline. I combined two vehicles into one nice driving vehicle that can haul stuff or go to the dump when necessary. And it's really convenient to have around. I don't have to worry about driving to a rental place, standing around there for a half our, renting a truck, driving back, and only then being able to get some real work accomplished.
      This. So much this. You may not "need" one, but once you HAVE one, you see that so much of life is SO much simpler and more convenient. Borrowing one or renting one means time taken trying to locate one. If you need one right now for a project, you're NOT going to want to look around and wait a day or two or more to borrow one.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

Cars
      03-10-2020 09:19 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      Fire Pit and beer.
      Not always legal in suburbia.

Cars
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      03-10-2020 09:31 AM #58
      When I lived in cookie cutter McMansion land, I had an old conversion van. Hauled every type of thing you could imagine (including vehicles) and a ton of people too for concerts or tailgates. Very useful.

Then I moved to 36 acres in the woods and immediately bought a 2003 Chevy 2500HD and a used plow. Most of my projects would've been very difficult without it and leaving the driveway after a good snowfall would not be possible.

So I guess it really depends on where you bought a house and what your plans are. 8' bed is a must, otherwise don't bother.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

03-10-2020 09:39 AM #59
      Exactly what I did
      Proud long-term employee at TheRetrofitSource family of companies

2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4WD - Volk Racing | Stoptech | Morimoto Lighting | SOS Performance | MESO Customs | XenonDepot | GTechniq
      2015 Triumph Street Triple - Full build | 4 miles

Cars
      2015 4Runner TEP w/ KDSS
      03-10-2020 09:53 AM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by burn_your_money View Post
      A utility trailer is all you need.
      That's my move. With the 4Runner, it's the best of both worlds IMO.

12. Member
      Cars
      '91 E30, '91 Volvo 740, '19 Rebel, '20 4R TRD Pro
      03-10-2020 10:03 AM #61
      Like most that replied, bought an Outback thinking it'll do 99% of things that I ever needed (which was true), but still got a truck, and I don't think I'll ever live without having a truck.

It also made camping trips more fun and easier, if you can deal with the parking space and don't need to tow 12k+ lbs, get a Ram 1500 V6 4x4.

13. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      03-10-2020 10:06 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      This. So much this. You may not "need" one, but once you HAVE one, you see that so much of life is SO much simpler and more convenient.
      Most everyone I know that owns a truck does say this, but then again, that's because they own trucks and it works for them. It's a YMMV situation. I move lots of heavy stuff, and I've had access to/driven plenty of trucks, but the tradeoffs one makes to own them aren't worth it to me personally. Parking (I work downtown), driving dynamics, design, tonneau covers, etc., are all bigger issues to me than putting the seats down or hitching my trailer. Even as an extra vehicle, the convenience isn't worth the extra maintenance and insurance to me.

14. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      03-10-2020 10:15 AM #63
      you guys are all going about this wrong.

just make sure the sub contractor you hire has a truck

15. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-10-2020 10:16 AM #64
      Def a YMMV thing... we pay people to do home repairs/remodeling and are generally the ones selling used furniture rather than buying it

The closest thing to a truck I might want is a trailer to tow my bike to track days and I can think of a lot of better ways to spend that money

Cars
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      03-10-2020 10:28 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by burn_your_money View Post
      A utility trailer is all you need.
      I thought of this, but I didn't think it was a good solution for me - though i kind of wanted it to work. For me, I don't a good place store a utility trailer- my side/back yard only has a 39" gate opening, the rest is fenced in. Beyond that, if stored in the backyard/side yard, it a trailer stored there would look ugly and I'd have to do extra work to mow around it. A trailer could be stored in the garage, but I didn't want to take up a space that could be used for an actual car.

Even if I bought a trailer, I didn't have a good vehicle for actually towing it. I had my Ranger (good), but that truck is what I wanted to replace with a trailer. The Mk7 Golf R (manual) would have been a terrible car to tow something (with its weak clutch) as would have been my Miata or my wife's base model Civic. So I would have had to buy another vehicle to tow the trailer anyway.

On top of that, driving around with a trailer can be inconvenient - like going to IKEA. Lowes/etc would be easily enough, but it would have been a pain driving around tight roads/parking lots around here.

And then there's the maintenance/registration/insurance for the trailer. Admittedly, it's not much, but it's not nothing either.

I could have sold my Golf and Ranger and gotten something more suitable to tow a trailer (SQ5?) and a trailer, but instead I opted for a solution where I only had to buy one thing.

Like I mentioned, a utility trailer didn't seem like a good solution for me. My requirements/constraints might not apply to everyone. A utility trailer could be an awesome idea if you have a suitable tow vehicle and the space for it. Its way less space/maintenance/insurance than buying a beater truck for infrequent use.

Cars
      03-10-2020 10:45 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Most everyone I know that owns a truck does say this, but then again, that's because they own trucks and it works for them.
      You have cause and effect backwards. No, seriously.

but the tradeoffs one makes to own them aren't worth it to me personally. Parking (I work downtown),
      I don't have only one vehicle, so parking is really only at home. I did make the switch from a dually to the Suburban to make it easier to find parking in parking lots when out traveling (camping). But that could be accomplished with any number of non-dually pickups, too. But there's no need to drive it to my work.

driving dynamics,
      Why does a truck have to have sports car driving dynamics? It's dumb to even WANT that in a truck. When I'm driving the Suburban, driving dynamics are the last thing on my mind and I don't miss sports car driving dynamics because I can get that from my cars.

design, tonneau covers, etc.,
      Same for these things. You're starting to sound like you think owning a truck as a homeowner means ONLY owning a truck and no sports cars/sporty cars. In fact, it makes owning a sports car EASIER as the sports car doesn't have to be compromised by needing to do hauling duty.

are all bigger issues to me than putting the seats down or hitching my trailer.
      How's that sports car driving dynamics when you have a full trailer on back? Hmm? Bet it goes to ****.

Even as an extra vehicle, the convenience isn't worth the extra maintenance and insurance to me.
      Let me tell you, as a owner of multiple vehicles ANYWAYS... If you use it reasonably regularly but still less than 5000 miles a year, which is typical, maintenance is very minimal. These aren't finicky sports cars or exotics. Annual oil changes and tires every few years are often about it. And registration for an older truck is cheap. Almost as cheap as registration for your trailer. The convenience of being able to do ANYTHING you need at a moment's notice is in fact worth it. Picking up parts cars, project cars, furniture, etc. the moment they hit the market makes being an enthusiast so much easier. Being able to be in the middle of a project and actually finish it because you have the truck already at hand makes being a homeowner so much easier. And it opens up a lot of hobbies you might not have done, from RVing to taking dirt bikes/quads or dune buggies to the trails/dunes, or race cars to the track.

If you don't have one, you think "I can 'get by' without one." If you DO have one, you think "how did I 'get by' without one?"

Back when I first bought my 1932 house, I had a PT cruiser. Very practical hatch/wagon. I carried 1200lbs of bagged crushed rock home to do the driveway with, and all 20 of the custom replacement windows for the house in one trip. But furniture hauling was limited and it couldn't tow home the project cars/sports cars that having a garage allowed me to play with. So I ended up with a truck and never looked back. Having an actual truck made all the difference in the world and has been extremely worth it. Just like I don't want to commute on anything but electrons, I can't picture not having a truck on hand anymore. Even if my next house is a new build, there is still need to have a vehicle to haul things at a moment's notice.

Cars
      mk6 CW GTI, Mitsu Outlander Sport, sold - mk4 futura GTI
      03-10-2020 10:48 AM #67
      you sound like every stereotypical American: (in a southern twang) "i need me uh truuuck". oh, and you need to find a bank that gives you a free rifle when you use them for your mortgage. doesn't get any more 'MURICA than that.

seriously though:
      This is like the "should I buy a minivan? we're thinking of starting a family soon" threads. to each their own though. weight out the pros and cons for you and your situation, which doesn't even exist yet.

our family (me, wife, in-laws) have renovated 4 homes top-to-bottom, none of us have ever owned a pickup, or even an SUV. cabinets, vanities, countertops, tubs, toilets, flooring, decking, pavers, gravel, shrubs & trees, sod, mulch, etc. all get free delivery via warehouse trucks; painting supplies, tools, tile, screws, outlets, switches, wire, faucets, drains, and misc items all fit in the shopping cart at Lowe's, why wouldn't they fit in the trunk and back seats of a car/cuv? would a truck be easier to use, sure - the bed allows for easier ingress/egress, especially of larger items you could pick up on your own (toilets or 10ft runs of pvc or moulding). but for us, that extra 1% of use hasn't justified having to live with one the other 99% of our lives.
      Last edited by col.mustard; 03-10-2020 at 10:53 AM.
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

Cars
      2010 Lexus GX460, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 2008 Mini Clubman sent packing.
      03-10-2020 11:11 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      mortgage rates are dropping!
      No kidding! We just locked in 2.8% on a 30yr fixed-rate. It's insanity!
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

Cars
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      03-10-2020 11:18 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by col.mustard View Post

our family (me, wife, in-laws) have renovated 4 homes top-to-bottom, none of us have ever owned a pickup, or even an SUV. cabinets, vanities, countertops, tubs, toilets, flooring, decking, pavers, gravel, shrubs & trees, sod, mulch, etc. all get free delivery via warehouse trucks; painting supplies, tools, tile, screws, outlets, switches, wire, faucets, drains, and misc items all fit in the shopping cart at Lowe's, why wouldn't they fit in the trunk and back seats of a car/cuv? would a truck be easier to use, sure - the bed allows for easier ingress/egress, especially of larger items you could pick up on your own (toilets or 10ft runs of pvc or moulding). but for us, that extra 1% of use hasn't justified having to live with one the other 99% of our lives.
      To be fair, when you are buying lots of stuff, then delivery makes a lot of sense (though free delivery isn't really a 'thing' around here). But if you are only buying a smallish amount of large things, then delivery doesn't really make sense. For instance - the time I refreshed a bathroom. One vanity, mirror, sink toilet, plus all the smaller stuff. Or the time I needed to get a couple 16 foot 5/4 boards for my deck. Too much for a sedan or a hatchback but not enough to really warrant delivery.

That's the situation that a lot of people are in. They aren't gutting a whole house and buying the whole interior of a house at a time. But if that situation never applies to you, then more power to you.

21. Member
      Cars
      2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design
      03-10-2020 11:31 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      This. So much this. You may not "need" one, but once you HAVE one, you see that so much of life is SO much simpler and more convenient.
      Yep, we have a 20 year old F150, use it for all kinds of stuff and once it dies (likely rust is going to kill it) then I will be looking for another cheap truck to replace it with. No trash pick up where we live, so having to go to the dump every couple weeks (yes I can lay the seats down in my car, but it means having to go to the dump more often and risking crap getting all over the interior). Being able to just throw kayaks or bikes in the bed is so much faster than putting a rack on the car etc. When I replaced my A4 a couple months ago I debated just picking up a nice enough truck for a DD, but to be honest would rather just have a cheap truck for when I need it.

22. Member
      Cars
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      03-10-2020 11:41 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post

Wow! That is fantastic! I thought 30 yr fixed rates were closer to 4.0%.

23. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      03-10-2020 11:45 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by PoorHouse View Post
      Wow! That is fantastic! I thought 30 yr fixed rates were closer to 4.0%.
      Nope, they were hovering in low 3's for last few days. I unfortunately refinanced last month and it was already at 3.5 for 30yr But if they keep dropping like they are, I'll refi for 20yr

Cars
      '19 Ridgeline, '19 Miata
      03-10-2020 11:47 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by geofftii2002 View Post
      Boo. I got a 2.5% fixed-rate on a 15 year mortgage back in September. Coulda-woulda-shoulda waited. These rates are fantastic. I'm hoping to not move before I retire to take full advantage of the new rate.

25. Member
      Cars
      17 JKU 08 Tundra 91 318iC 89 325i 80 D150 SWB 76 Rabbit
      03-10-2020 12:00 PM #74
      Boo. I got a 2.5% fixed-rate on a 15 year mortgage back in September. Coulda-woulda-shoulda waited. These rates are fantastic. I'm hoping to not move before I retire to take full advantage of the new rate.

Dang! I'm at 3.625% on 30 yr fixed. If I could get 2.5% or less I would refi right now to a 15 yr fixed.

Cars
      '17 CarTruck, '17 Alltrack
      03-10-2020 12:03 PM #75
      bought a poverty spec truck after 20 years of borrowing or renting trucks. works for suburbia living

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast