Fourtitude.com - Question about TT suspension
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 03-07-2020 09:57 AM #1
      My '04 TT Quattro ragtop (225Hp) needs a pair of rear springs. It appears that there are several variants within the same model year, and I don't want to buy the wrong parts. How can I tell if the car has a 'sport' suspension, or not?
      What is the difference between a 'base', and a 'line' model??? Looks like the ragtop, and hardtop might have different springs as well.
      The VIN begins with the letters TRUUT, if anyone has firsthand knowledge about this car.
      I also thought about buying a complete suspension front/back package, but this car is meant to be a Sunday driver, and I don't want to spend a boatload of $$$
      Any advice is greatly appreciated!!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2011 TT roadster
      03-08-2020 02:05 PM #2
      FWIW, the Model Guide states that the rear suspension is different for FWD vs quattro. Don't know if there is a suspension difference between a 1.8 quattro vs a 3.2 quattro or coupe vs roadster. Only one model line was offered for each drivetrain configuration in the US and is usually referred to as "base". There were no options or packages offered that effected the suspension.
      2017 Glacier & Admiral Blue TTR
      Prior TTRs 2001 and 04 lake silver/amber baseball, 2011 Scuba
      Active participant since 2002 and present Chairman of TT West
      ACNA Life Member

4. 03-09-2020 04:33 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegas-RoadsTTer View Post
      FWIW, the Model Guide states that the rear suspension is different for FWD vs quattro. Don't know if there is a suspension difference between a 1.8 quattro vs a 3.2 quattro or coupe vs roadster. Only one model line was offered for each drivetrain configuration in the US and is usually referred to as "base". There were no options or packages offered that effected the suspension.
      Thanks for the advice!

5. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

6. 03-26-2020 11:48 PM #4
      I finally got around to pulling a rear wheel, to see what was going on with the rear suspension.
      The car failed NYS inspection, because of broken rear springs. We shelved the car until spring, since it is a 'Sunday driver'.
      The springs are indeed broken, but what really surprised me, is that this car does not have shocks in the rear!!
      I see rear suspension kits on the 'Bay for the TT that have shocks, so I am a bit perplexed.
      I have never in my life, seen a vehicle without rear shocks.
      One less thing that I have to buy, but holy crap.........!
      Anyone know of a bargain source for a new set of rear springs?

7. Member
      Cars
      2011 TT roadster
      03-27-2020 09:11 AM #5
      and not well if the spring is broken. It came from the factory with rear shocks. Looking at Rock Auto for rear shocks, it appears when they say "base" they mean FWD since they have separate listings for quattro. I'd check my local Audi dealer for differences or contact someone like Bilstein.
      Last edited by Vegas-RoadsTTer; 03-27-2020 at 09:21 AM.
      ACNA Life Member

8. 03-27-2020 11:16 AM #6
      and not well if the spring is broken. It came from the factory with rear shocks. Looking at Rock Auto for rear shocks, it appears when they say "base" they mean FWD since they have separate listings for quattro. I'd check my local Audi dealer for differences or contact someone like Bilstein.
      I didn't have the car up on a lift. I just pulled a tire, and expected shocks to be in close proximity with the springs.
      I bought the car from the original owner, and he was an older gentleman(like me) so I don't believe that the car was modded.
      Might there be shocks in a different location of the undercarriage?

9. 03-27-2020 11:17 AM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by quartersaw View Post
      I didn't have the car up on a lift. I just pulled a tire, and expected shocks to be in close proximity with the springs.
      I bought the car from the original owner, and he was an older gentleman(like me) so I don't believe that the car was modded.
      Might there be shocks in a different location of the undercarriage?
      The springs are very 'squat' in appearance, and they are made of VERY heavy spring steel.

10. Member
      Cars
      2011 TT roadster
      03-28-2020 02:27 PM #8
      ACNA Life Member

11. Yesterday 03:35 PM #9
      Thanks!
      The shocks are present, but they weren't where I was expecting them to be.
      I bought a pair of the 'Beehive' rear springs, and new Bilstein shocks. Tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be nice, so it will be a good day for the installation.