Fourtitude.com - Perfect car for the perfect road, or a jack of all trades?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      Cars
      2019 Audi S5 Sportback
      03-06-2020 05:21 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by alex_bgnet View Post
      RS6 long roof. Ticks all the boxes.
      Depends where.

On a car like this, I wished that there was an easily adjustable clearance/height system to compose with the various winter hazards here.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '98 Jetta 2.0 (Wolfy) '01 Jetta 1.8T (Wolfy) sold, '13 GLi Autobahn DSG (daily)
      03-06-2020 05:24 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by NailsInOurBacks View Post
      100% agreed.

For an economical choice - GTI. Bought a new 2013 Wolfsburg Edition and it was one of the best cars I've had. Fun, practical, economical, comfortable and stylish. It's the perfect 'do everything' car under $25k. Autocross'd like a pig but was fun and took all the gear we needed, a million times more fun than any other dull appliance in the twisties, handled Ikea runs with aplomb, handled thousand of miles for work in comfort, shrugged off SoCal traffic (DSG FTW!), wife loved driving it, dog loved riding in the back, could take friends in the back, could get 30+ mpg, needed only a waterpump or two inside warranty and sold it at around a $7k loss after 3 years. Nice enough to enjoy, cheap enough it doesn't get in the way of anything. Throw some cash at it (tune!) or let the doors get dinged. It's all good. Maybe a Civic SI has a similar program - never tried a new one.

The 911 does it as well at that higher price point. If you've got the means, then by all means. But a GTI $24k OTD new GTI with warranty frees up all that monthly payment cash - stuff it in the market or enjoy it!

Sometimes I think... life would be simpler if we had to go back to a single car solution. Now it's having multiple tools for multiple jobs and all the upkeep that's involved. Not complaining, a good problem to have, but there's a zen in a single car experience. Makes me yearn for a GTI again, or maybe it's the simpler times that came with it...
      Indeed, the GTi (or 911) might not be the absolute best thing in the category performance wise, but I really do believe in my experience that they ARE the best at 'everything'.

The older Si is a wonderfully fantastic car to drive, the GTi of course is far more refined and a nicer place to be in day in and day out, but for lighting my heart on fire.....gimme that non turbo high revving vtec goodness allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll day!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by VWestlife View Post
      If you pace the cars around you, I bet you'll find that people rarely accelerate to 60 MPH in any quicker than 20 seconds.

Cars
      14 s4 6mt
      03-07-2020 08:42 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by oidoglr View Post
      The other aspect of this question is this hypothetical perfect car being given to us or do we have to pay for it and the lifetime of maintenance?
      just check your restrictions on your driver's license, does it say TCL, TFL or OT? then you have your answer.
      jack of all trades for me.

Cars
      '19 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      03-07-2020 11:33 AM #54
      I have solved this dilemma. If I could only have one, it would be the Golf.

'19 Golf R
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

Cars
      S60, Z/28
      03-07-2020 01:08 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Beanboy View Post
      Jack of all trades. I'm impressed by the engineering that goes behind a car that handles 90% of the situations thrown at it well. Find it more impressive than a one trick pony.
      This is a great way to articulate it. The all-rounder is more impressive, for sure. It’s also the most economical choice all around, from extra insurance to maintenance, to simply taking up less space. But as a counterpoint, I can admire a car for its impressive capabilities, but still find it lacking if I’m the kind of person that’s going out for a drive for fun.

I can get away with a really dedicated sports car since I don’t have children, but even if you’re not rich, having either a cheap daily or a cheap weekend car gives you a lot more room to equip the cars for their intended mission.

Living in Los Angeles, I finally reached the maturity level to realize that even a relatively slow but really comfortable car makes driving in traffic SO much less stressful. Comfy ran a wide gamut of choices, from the older 80’s Mercedes I’ve had, to the ‘02 4Runner. I could focus on momentum and traffic patterns, knowing I would lose any drag race I was dumb enough to get into.

So once you decide the daily can be a slug, well, with the fun car you can really go off. It’s very rewarding.
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      03-07-2020 01:48 PM #56
      I would say daily-driving dedicated sports cars only works if your commute is long enough to get the oil up to temperature. Before then it's really no fun.

Honestly, I want an EV for commuting, and then the perfect sports car for weekend fun.

Cars
      '97 BMW M3/4/5, Highlander Limited, Honda CB1100
      03-07-2020 01:51 PM #57
      This is likely heresy, but I'm not really into super small little sports cars save for Lotus where the long-travel, well-damped, soft spring setup really lets it ride well. I'm more likely to enjoy something of a GT. I want it to sustain high-speeds in relative comport while still being fun on the back roads. I'd love to buy an E39 M5 as that is really my dream car. I've got its less fast little brother in sedan form which is wonderful, but I'd love to have the fun accompanied by a V8 soundtrack.

So, all-rounder for me. If I could afford it, though, my garage would look like this:
      1. E39 M5
      2. Landcruiser (brand frickin new)
      3. Evora or Alpine A110
      4. Maybe a first-gen Viper RT/10 that I'd rarely drive

Now that I think about it, I am one car away from the dollar store version of this. Perhaps I should get a Miata and be a budget baller. Although, my stupid Highlander has NO off-road ability whatsoever, so it is an incredibly poor substitute for a Landcruiser.

9. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      03-07-2020 02:10 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      Honestly, I want an EV for commuting, and then the perfect sports car for weekend fun.
      My head says EV but my nuts say GT car. If I drive on the weekends it's to shop or see people, so any car I get has to be good at commuting. I'm hoping something like an E85 Z4 or possibly even a C5 convertible will be tolerable for 300 miles/6 hours a week. Otherwise TLX until it dies, at which time hopefully there will be some compelling EV options

10. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      03-07-2020 02:56 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      My head says EV but my nuts say GT car. If I drive on the weekends it's to shop or see people, so any car I get has to be good at commuting. I'm hoping something like an E85 Z4 or possibly even a C5 convertible will be tolerable for 300 miles/6 hours a week. Otherwise TLX until it dies, at which time hopefully there will be some compelling EV options
      Skip the vert, get the targa. Put good shocks and tires on it and it'll be a great GT. Also don't set the ride height on the damn ground or take the mufflers off.

Cars
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      03-07-2020 03:01 PM #60
      1. Manual transmission
      2. RWD
      3. good chassis setup
      4. exciting powertrain

and I will be happy.
      "No manual, no care."

Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

12. Member
      Cars
      03-07-2020 03:38 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      Skip the vert, get the targa. Put good shocks and tires on it and it'll be a great GT. Also don't set the ride height on the damn ground or take the mufflers off.
      I don't like the look of the C5 targa, but I want to be able to take the top off. Plus the Z06 seems a little more harcore, which I don't want for a daily. If I get a targa I'll get a C6

Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      03-07-2020 04:08 PM #62
      i like one-trick ponies. zero compromise on what it does best, enough discomfort to discourage anyone else from driving it.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

14. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Cars
      2018 F150
      03-07-2020 04:15 PM #63
      Alfa Romeo Giulia.
      It will always be in the shop- so you can rent something best for what you need that day.
      Vehicles owned (*=automatic):
      Chevy: 82 Cavalier Type 10, 94 Cavalier Coupe* | Chrysler: 96 Town & Country* | Ford: 73 F100, 88 F150, 18 F150* | Jeep: 78 CJ-5 | Mazdas: 83 GLC, 85 RX7 GS, 86 323, 90 323, 90 B2600i, 92 Miata, 97 Protege, 01 B2300, 01 B3000, 04 RX8 | Nissan: 90 240SX SE | Plymouth: 88 Caravan* | Pontiac: 84 Grand Prix* | Toyota: 84 Celica GTS, 02 Tundra*

15. Member
      Cars
      03-07-2020 06:19 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      i like one-trick ponies. zero compromise on what it does best, enough discomfort to discourage anyone else from driving it.
      How often are you letting other people drive your car?

16. Just Going with the FLO. Strange Mud's Avatar
      Cars
      2017 GTI, 06 Taco, Rusty plow truck, 1955 MF tractor
      03-07-2020 06:38 PM #65
      can we add in some some rules?

60K budget and you have to pay for everything.

I have a 17 GTI (24500 new)

an 06 Taco (was 24000 new and still worth a good bit)

an 03 Silverado (about 5k in that)

and my Tractor....I guess I don't get anything else. I wish I had set a 70K threshold cause there are 10K fun cars out there (something oldish?)
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX
      On a side note long term EMF exposure in electric cars causes AIDS.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      03-07-2020 07:46 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post

I had this conversation with hushy some time ago. If I only have one car, I'll take the one that's a better DD and a compromised fun car.
      Same.

Our long winters and generally terrible roads compromise my choices here.

In an ideal world I’d have a fast, luxury SUV and a convertible sports car.

A single car for daily and sport, year round? Likely a fast Audi. RS5 Sportback maybe?

18. Member
      Cars
      03-08-2020 11:43 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
      can we add in some some rules?

60K budget and you have to pay for everything.

I have a 17 GTI (24500 new)

an 06 Taco (was 24000 new and still worth a good bit)

an 03 Silverado (about 5k in that)

and my Tractor....I guess I don't get anything else. I wish I had set a 70K threshold cause there are 10K fun cars out there (something oldish?)
      If my lifestyle were the same, I don't know how much an unlimited budget would change my choices. The most expensive "sedan" I'd probably ever do would be something like an RS5. Sports car wise nothing more than a Boxster GTS 4.0 makes sense to me. I'd spend another couple thousand on a shorter FD. Everything more expensive is too heavy/hardcore/turbocharged. If I had infinite money and time I don't think I'd own anything for more than like 6 months..... too many great cars to limit yourself if you don't have to

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      03-08-2020 12:44 PM #68
      If you can swing two cars, I think that's always the option, especially if one of the cars is vintage.

I miss having my MGB because the smells, noises, and overall aura are very far removed from, say, a CR-V.

And then the CR-V is appreciated that much more because of how easy it is does everything.

I would be fine with one-car, but there is literally nothing that appeals to me. I need a modern day Z3 coupe, or Saab 900. Quirky, enough room to be practical, and with some character too. The latest round of MINIs are missing that last part.

20. Member
      Cars
      01 Passat 4MO Wagon, 6sp manual and 1.8T swap. 05 Golf 2.0
      03-08-2020 07:19 PM #69
      Always had a jack of all trades from since we had kids. Even with no kids the last 12 years, I prefer a do almost anything car. That said, I've modified almost every car I have owned in the last 38 years for better handling. I rarely see perfect roads, but when I do, I want to enjoy them a bit. I've always preferred a better handling car to a fast car.
      2019 Tiguan SE 4Mo Orange, temporarily stock. 2001 Passat 4Mo wagon, 1.8T/6sp swapped, Konis, coilover sleeves, A6Q H+R Race springs.
      2005 Golf GLS, 2.Slow, Auto, GTI suspension, sways.
      2001.5 Passat GLX V6, stock. (son#1), 2000 Passat GLS V6 fwd Tip wagon, stock (son#2)

21. 03-09-2020 09:31 AM #70
      Pondered the same question and answered with the Giulia. I am happier now than I was with the Focus+BRZ.

22. Sausage King of Chicago Abe Froman's Avatar
      Cars
      1961 Ferrari 250 GT California
      03-09-2020 10:01 AM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I had this conversation with hushy some time ago. If I only have one car, I'll take the one that's a better DD and a compromised fun car. He's the other way, and DD's a BRZ, as he'd rather suffer throughout the week to have a more pure fun car. Different strokes.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you're either older or (ahem) larger? Cuz I'm leaning far more that way these days.

Also: why is there only a 1 or 2 car option? Personally, I think my 3 car solution is best
      I unbanned Patrikman.

I also originally banned Zuk & JIMP.

Then I got demoted.

23. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      03-09-2020 10:58 AM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Abe Froman View Post
      I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that you're either older or (ahem) larger? Cuz I'm leaning far more that way these days.

Also: why is there only a 1 or 2 car option? Personally, I think my 3 car solution is best
      I’m the same size I was when we met, just older. Even when I was younger, I still preferred the better DD over a fun car. My friends had all kinds of sports cars and I’d be mobbing along in an E39 540/6.

My current stable is working out great, other than I only DD my SS, and when I do that I get bored with it.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

24. Member
      Cars
      03-09-2020 02:01 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by PZ View Post
      Always had a jack of all trades from since we had kids. Even with no kids the last 12 years, I prefer a do almost anything car. That said, I've modified almost every car I have owned in the last 38 years for better handling. I rarely see perfect roads, but when I do, I want to enjoy them a bit. I've always preferred a better handling car to a fast car.
      Modifying the jack of all trades can definitely broaden its appeal, but the platform has to be good. For me mods have made cars come alive in some cases and go from bad to abysmal in others. If I keep the TLX for the long haul I will probably give it the full treatment.

Cars
      #81 SM 1.6
      03-09-2020 02:12 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      me too, one of my cars, including transit time to and from events, i spend less than 12 hours driving last year. it is however PERFECT for the 50 seconds at a time its used. another of my cars, i spent less than 24 hours driving total last year, and its however it perfect for the 30 minutes its required to run.
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Sounds great. Maybe I'm just a fascist and didn't know it.. I don't know if I even care anymore.

26. 03-09-2020 03:23 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Modifying the jack of all trades can definitely broaden its appeal, but the platform has to be good. For me mods have made cars come alive in some cases and go from bad to abysmal in others. If I keep the TLX for the long haul I will probably give it the full treatment.
      For once we agree! The platform has to be good because you can't turn a POS into something good. If you have a good chassis and a good engine, but the shock tuning is poor, that's an easy fix. If you need to change wheels and tires or even just tires, that's an easy fix. Stiffening the chassis or altering the steering characteristics is very hard (or just expensive) to do.

I wouldn't have a problem spending the $$$ to put something like Ohlins suspension into an M3 or a Miata, but I'm not going to modify something like my V70R because it's not a great platform. Improving the handling goes a long way into making a car more enjoyable (for me, at least). Most sports cars have plenty of power and most driver's lack the skill to fully utilize all of that power- adding power doesn't improve anything unless you're doing a lot of drag racing in a straight line.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast