Fourtitude.com - The Koenigsegg Gemera Is a 1700-HP Hybrid With a Camless Three-Cylinder
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
      Cars
      GTI
      03-03-2020 09:33 AM #1
      https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...F-HznjPjjxMDA0

This is Koenigsegg's first four-seater. Unsurprisingly, it's unlike any other four-seater.
      [IMG]https://hips.hearstapps.com/rover/profile_photos/15d56ade-1ac5-43f8-b0be-4f0648657189.jpg?fill=1:1&resize=80:*[/IMG]
      Koenigsegg has always built two-seat super- and hypercars. But that's now changing. This is the Koneigsegg Gemera, the Swedish company's first four-seater. It's a remarkable new direction for the brand.
      The Gemera has a 2.0-liter twin-turbo three-cylinder with 600 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque. And it doesn't have camshafts. Yes, this tiny triple uses Koengisegg's remarkable Freevalve technology. This is also a FlexFuel engine designed to run on renewable alcohol. It combines with a hybrid system for an astonishing 1700 horsepower and 2581 lb-ft of torque. Koenigsegg claims it'll hit 62 mph in 1.9 seconds, which is bonkers.
      "Electric cars are great, and it's difficult to produce cells quickly enough for worldwide implementation," said company founder Christian Von Koenigsegg. "This is a parallel track, where you get a lighter car, more performance, C02 neutral, basically emission free...if you fill it up on renewable alcohol and fill it up with electricity, you can be as C02 neutral and as environmentally friendly as a pure-electric car."

This is also Koenigsegg's first all-wheel drive car, with an electric motor driving the front axle. There's a hydraulic clutch at each output shaft, which allows for torque vectoring across the axle. Each rear wheel has a 500-hp electric motor, too, because one is simply not enough.
      "The chassis of this car is truly state of the art," Koenigsegg said. "We can play with so many variables to make it steady as a freight train on the Autobahn, and agile around the corners around the track." In addition to the torque vectoring, the Gemera offers rear-wheel steering for extra agility and stability.
      Of course, the monocoque and bodywork are made entirely from carbon fiber. It will be a bit heavy though, which isn't a surprise given the large interior, batteries and electric motors. Koenigsegg is aiming for around 4144 pounds.
      The small engine allows for an interior that Koenigsegg says is as big as any GT car's, plus two trunks for your luggage. Those swing-up doors allow for easy rear-seat ingress—and are fit with sensors so you don't bonk them on your low garage ceiling—and the rear seats have child-seat anchor points. So you can bring your kids along. In your Koenigsegg.
      Pricing hasn't been announced yet, nor have production figures. Don't expect it to be cheap, and do expect all to sell out.
      Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      Golf VI, 1.6 TDI
      03-03-2020 09:36 AM #2

4. 03-03-2020 09:59 AM #3
      Wait so let me get this straight.

A mid engined, 4 seat supercar with a crazy hybrid system and AWD?

Damn I love Koenigsegg!!!!!

Cars
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      03-03-2020 10:10 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      Wait so let me get this straight.

A mid engined, 4 seat supercar with a crazy hybrid system and AWD?

Damn I love Koenigsegg!!!!!
      ME TOO!

They are by far my favorite super car, hyper car, crazy car manufacturer out there. They are always pushing the boundaries of innovation. Great stuff.

6. 03-03-2020 10:21 AM #5
      The doors are ****ing massive

Cars
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 19 GLI S, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      03-03-2020 10:24 AM #6
      WOW.

Isn't the freevalve tech the same as an old prototype fitted to a Saab 9-5? Hope this really takes off.
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

8. Member
      Cars
      2020 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      03-03-2020 10:34 AM #7
      Just this alone:
      The Gemera has a 2.0-liter twin-turbo three-cylinder with 600 horsepower and 442 lb-ft of torque.
      ASP.NET / C# Software Engineer

2020 718 Cayman GT4 - Miami Blue - PCCB
      2017 718 Cayman - GT Silver - PDK/Sport Chrono/PSE - gone
      2016 Golf R 6MT - Deep Black Pearl - gone

9. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      03-03-2020 10:57 AM #8
      Love the front and the rear. But it looks like someone just stretched the middle section of the car in photoshop

03-03-2020 11:20 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      WOW.

Isn't the freevalve tech the same as an old prototype fitted to a Saab 9-5? Hope this really takes off.
      The idea is even older. British Leyland filed a patent for solenoid actuated valves in early 70's and the idea was toyed by others too with prototypes in the 80's.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3882833

I love how this idea survived, even if it is just for a hypercar. It's finally real.

Cars
      '17 BMW i3 BEV, '16 BMW i3 BEV, '13 FiST
      03-03-2020 11:26 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Love the front and the rear. But it looks like someone just stretched the middle section of the car in photoshop
      Looks like what would happen if Koenigsegg made a Tesla Model 3.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

12. 03-03-2020 11:48 AM #11
      Watch MrJWW's video on youtube. The car is awesome.

They went with a 3 banger for a big piston size to make a deeper sound. It's got twin turbo's and each exhaust valve feeds one turbo. At low speeds, only one valve opens sending all exhaust gasses to one turbo to promote low rpm spool.

500hp electric motor up front plus two 500hp electric motors at the rear. The gas engine direct drives the front wheels not the rear. It's only got one gear.

1700hp and 2500 ft/lb of torque because in the word's of Christian Van Koenigsegg "it was the only way to get to 60 in under 2 seconds". LMFAO.

It goes on and on. This car is crazy.
      Last edited by Rob; 03-03-2020 at 11:50 AM.

13. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      03-03-2020 12:57 PM #12
      I don't normally care much about supercars/hypercars, but this guy is so different and pushes the envelope so much that I can't help but be impressed. I think to come up with this stuff they sit around and get blasted on schnapps, then when they're sober they read the napkins and see if they can implement some of the crazier ideas.

Kudos to Koenigsegg! Again!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

14. Member
      Cars
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      03-03-2020 01:21 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene View Post
      Just this alone:

I thought that TCL decided that development of the ICE had peaked.

03-03-2020 01:23 PM #14
      It sounds like an impressive package, but I think the proportions looks really off. Oh well it is not like I'm going to see many of them on the street anyway.

16. Member Disgruntled Ziemniak's Avatar
      Cars
      MIL Machine
      03-03-2020 01:54 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Galrot View Post
      It sounds like an impressive package, but I think the proportions looks really off. Oh well it is not like I'm going to see many of them on the street anyway.
      I'll disagree with this notion. It looks quite handsome without being totally overcooked. Gives me Spyker vibes, which shouldn't be too surprising
      Your favorite Ziemniak, hold the gravy.

03-03-2020 01:59 PM #16
      Freeballing is interesting......

Can you imagine how magnificent Elon would be if he were as temperamental and talented as Christian?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCool View Post
      The doors are ****ing massive
      First pic in this thread and I thought it was a sedan
      Germans are white people. Look up #84 on the list of things white people like: Gear. Lots of Gear. We even have gear farkles over here. -Atomicalex

Upon my word I have had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers. -James Byford McCudden

18. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      03-03-2020 02:00 PM #17
      If someone told me this was Lamborghini's attempt at a Beetle throwback I would believe them.

Cars
      BlueStar, NA, V227
      03-03-2020 02:01 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      I thought that TCL decided that development of the ICE had peaked.
      In order to hit the 2 seconds to 60 mph requirement, 65% of the hp is electric.
      "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."
      - Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor) "Face of Evil"

20. Member Disgruntled Ziemniak's Avatar
      Cars
      MIL Machine
      03-03-2020 02:03 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post
      Can you imagine how magnificent Elon would be if he were as temperamental and talented as Christian?
      Its the hair
      Your favorite Ziemniak, hold the gravy.

21. 03-03-2020 03:17 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      In order to hit the 2 seconds to 60 mph requirement, 65% of the hp is electric.
      Yes and the other 650hp comes from a 3 cylinder twin turbo that can run on pure alcohol and has no valvetrain. That's amazing.

22. 03-03-2020 03:20 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Silly_me View Post

Tesla would be way more amazing than the company is now. Highly likely I would have one in my garage actually.

A shame that his bid for Saab wasn't accepted, it could have been incredible.

Elon wishes he had half the talent of Christian.

Cars
      GTI
      03-03-2020 03:48 PM #22

Koenigsegg Direct Drive (KDD)Traditional hybrids represent a compromise when it comes to weight, complexity, cost and packaging. The Gemera, on the other hand, together with its sibling the Regera, is a new breed of hybrid. Its main advantage? Providing ultimate response from standstill to top speed in the form of a single gear direct drive at lower weight and higher efficiency than what any other hybrid solution can offer.

During highway travel, for instance, the KDD reduces drivetrain losses compared to traditional transmissions or CVT by 3-5% as there is no step-up or step-down gear working in series with the final drive – just direct power from the engine to the wheels with the torque-converting HydraCoup locked up.

Torque is crucial, especially when accelerating to extreme speeds in one gear. In the Gemera, this is facilitated by the torque-converting HydraCoup – it converts the combined 1100 Nm coming from the TFG and front e-motor to almost double its torque up to 3000 rpm. That is why the Gemera has 3500 Nm of torque from standstill and why it can accelerate from 0-400 km/h in a single gear.

All-wheel drive, all-wheel torque vectoring, and all-wheel steering
      The separate rear e-motors enable torque vectoring and reverse. The front axle has an open differential with a wet clutch pack for each output shaft, also enabling torque vectoring. This means that the Gemera has all-wheel drive, all-wheel torque vectoring, and all-wheel steering, as it also has independent rear-wheel steering – offering maximum traction and safety, and one exciting driving experience. The Gemera also comes with active ride height to complement driving conditions.

Additionally, the all-wheel torque of over 11000 Nm is clawed into the ground from standstill, creating quite the undertaking for the Gemera’s massive and grippy Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires.

Combined power output of 1700 bhp
      Power output from the three motors – one for each rear wheel producing 500 bhp and 1000 Nm, and one E-motor on the crankshaft that produces an extra 400 bhp and 500 Nm to power the front wheels – add up to 1400 bhp as individuals and 1100 bhp when combined. In addition to the TFG’s 600 bhp (at 7500 rpm) and torque of 600 Nm (2000 rpm to 7000 rpm), the combined power output of the Gemera is 1700 bhp or 1.27 MW.

The 800V battery pack
      Taking cues from the Regera, the Gemera’s 800V, 15 kWh battery will provide an amazing 900 kW of discharge and up to 200 kW of recharge. Every cell is carefully monitored for voltage, state of charge, health and temperature; and the cells are enclosed in a carbon fiber casing for efficiency, safety and stability. The battery is placed in the most protected area of the car – under the front seat and in the carbon-aramid chassis tunnel.

Range
      The Gemera can travel up to 50 km in EV only mode and up to an additional 950 km highway cruise speed in hybrid mode, before needing a fill-up – totaling a 1000 km range. This makes the Gemera a true continent crossing family-oriented “Autobahn” rocketship.
      621 mile range too!!!!

PROPULSION
      INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINE (ICE)

• Koenigsegg Tiny Friendly Giant Twin Turbo Freevalve 3-cylinder Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) with dry sump lubrication
      • Compression: 9.5:1 - Bore: 95 mm - stroke: 93.5 mm
      • Closed-loop combustion control with in-cylinder pressure sensing
      • 440 kW (600 bhp) at 7500 rpm, red line at 8500 rpm
      • Torque: 600 Nm from 2000 rpm to 7000 rpm
      • ICE is mounted midship and powers the front axle together with one E-motor through a propshaft
      • Engine weight: 70 kg

E-MOTORS

• Three Electric Motors: One for each rear wheel with 500 bhp and 1000 Nm each and one E-motor on the crankshaft 400 bhp and 500 Nm to power the front wheels (together with the ICE)

ENGINE MANAGEMENT

• Koenigsegg Engine Control Module
      • Flex fuel capability including E100, Methanol and sun fuel
      • High power ion sensing coil-on-plug ignition system

OUTPUT

• Total output 1700 bhp - 3500 Nm, including Hydracoup
      • Max wheel torque: 11,000 Nm at ICE 4000 rpm
      • 1100 bhp of combined electric power (counting E-motors separately – 1400 bhp)

RANGE

• ICE only range: up to 950 km
      • Electric range: up to 50 km
      • Total range: up to 1000 km

TRANSMISSION
      FRONT AXLE

• Midmounted Koenigsegg ICE + E-motor Hydracoup Direct Drive transmission powering the front axle. The front axle has torque vectoring capability and can be disconnected to save energy in EV only mode

REAR AXLE

• Independent E-motors with independent transmissions enabling torque vectoring and reverse. The rear transmission are equipped with wet clutches for decoupling, for range mode.

CHASSIS

• Carbon fiber monocoque – wheel to wheel stiffness – 40 KNm
      • Front and rear aluminum sub-frames
      • Adjustable and lightweight anti-roll bars front and rear
      • Robotized hydraulically adjustable ride height front and rear

BODY

• B-pillarless, two doors coupe with fully accessible four-seater interior
      • Carbon fiber body panels
      • Visible carbon fiber on front and side splitters and venturi
      • Carbon fiber wheels (optional)

HANDLING
      STEERING

• Rack and pinion electric power-assisted steering
      • Active rear wheel steering

SUSPENSION

• Double wishbones and adjustable gas-hydraulic shock absorbers
      • Electronically adjustable ride height

ELECTRONIC STABILITY CONTROL

• Koenigsegg Electronic Stability Control (KES)

TRACTION CONTROL

• 3 settings: wet – normal – track

ASSISTED DRIVING

• Autonomous Driving Level 2 ADAS
      • Adaptive cruise control
      • Lane assist
      • Park assist
      • Surround-view cameras (helicopter view)

BRAKES

• Front: Ventilated ceramic discs Ø415 mm, 40 mm wide 6-piston
      • Rear: Ventilated ceramic discs Ø390 mm, 34 mm wide 4-piston
      • Koenigsegg calipers with ceramic pistons
      • Electric Brake Booster
      • ABS

WHEELS AND TIRES
      WHEELS

• Koenigsegg third-generation Aircore carbon fiber wheels with center locking (optional)
      • Front: 21" x 10.5"
      • Rear: 22" x 11.5"

TIRES

• Standard: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
      • Optional: Michelin Cup R3
      • Front: 295/30 ZR21
      • Rear: 317/30 ZR22

DIMENSIONS

• Total length: 4975 mm
      • Total width: 1988 mm (without outer rear-view cameras)
      • Total height: 1295 mm
      • Wheelbase: 3000 mm
      • Fuel capacity: 75 L
      • HV Battery: 800 V 16.6 kWh, liquid-cooled
      • Dry weight: 1715 kg
      • Curb weight: 1850 kg
      • Ride Height: 117 mm front, 117 mm rear
      • Front lifting system activated: +35 mm
      • Total trunk volume (rear and front): 200 L
      • Optional roof box

EQUIPMENT
      SAFETY

• Side, rear view cameras with left and right displays
      • Automatic emergency braking
      • 6 smart airbags
      • Safety belt tensioners
      • Rain sensor
      • Digital warning and info system, tire pressure monitoring system
      • Koenigsegg safety cell with integrated crumple zones
      • Two fire extinguishers
      • ABS
      • Traction control and stability control
      • Reversing camera

COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE

• Luxury interior, with a high degree of customization (leather or Alcantara interior with custom contrast stitching, carbon sport bucket seats with memory foam)
      • Four individual heated seats; front seats are four-way electrically adjustable
      • Three-zone climate control
      • Power windows
      • Electric handbrake
      • Infotainment system: interior cameras, social media connection, live streaming and digital owner’s manual
      • 11 speaker plus sub woofer premium sound system
      • Front and rear 13” central screens
      • Koenigsegg high-end audio with Apple CarPlay
      • USB connections
      • 2 Inductive phone chargers
      • 4 heated and 4 cooled cup holders
      • Alarm
      • Koenigsegg shield alarm fob
      • Car cover, Koenigsegg car charger
      • Autoskin electro-hydraulic operation of hoods and doors
      • ‘Bird’s eye’ view parking assistance, front and rear parking sensors, proximity protection system for automated door openings

Cars
      10-speed bike
      03-03-2020 03:55 PM #23
      holy crap this is amazing and i'll never afford it.
      previously sirswank
      Join Date 03-17-2003
      Total Posts 7,046
      I'm a pigeon playing chess.

Cars
      05 CLK55 AMG
      03-03-2020 04:01 PM #24
      • Rear: 317/30 ZR22
      WAT

Cars
      www.speed-driven.com
      03-03-2020 04:15 PM #25