Fourtitude.com - Why the Cayman 987.1 is still a great car
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      The NATO garage: 3 British, 2 German, 2 American.
      02-25-2020 02:18 PM #1
      In another thread, someone asked me why I haven't upgraded to a newer Cayman, given that the new ones are demonstrably "better" cars than the 987. Well, that is an arguable statement to start with, but the reality is that it is still a fantastic car. And under the heading of "I'd rather drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow", the Cayman can still hold it's own with much newer machinery for almost any application, certainly at the track. Now granted, my car is modified, but taking a 13-year old car to the track and passing by new cars with far more HP and magazine-cred is still a ton of fun. Case in point, these two videos from last week at Sonoma Raceway. In the first few laps, the underdog Cayman S passes by a GT3RS, a GT3, a Ferrari 430 Challenge car, a stripped-down 69 Camaro Racer, and eventually a Z06 and finally that pesky GT4 with the big wing and Hoosiers. It's always satisfying when other drivers come into the pits and walk over to check out the car ("hmmmm, street tires, eh? And I thought for sure you'd have PDK in this thing"). First video is full session, second video is one lap chasing the GT4 for my best time of that session. And one more bonus video of another session on my crappy iphone track app. Chasing down and passing by a GT2RS.

So, why is it still great? Terrific balance, excellent feedback, strong braking (with upgraded pads), and wonderful sounds! It let's you know when something isn't going right and allows you to correct (that happens late in the session on turn 2).

Last edited by Dave_Car_Guy; 02-25-2020 at 02:40 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 1991 Miata, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      02-25-2020 02:45 PM #2
      Since you brought it up, may I ask your opinion on the inherent flaws of the m97 motor? Wasn't there cylinder scoring and IMSB issues in them? I know, I know, dead horse but, you seem to have good experiences with the car and have track time to boot.

For a while I was looking for a 987.2 as I really like the packaging of the 987 cars but was hoping for the "more reliable" motor.
      Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

Cars
      MK4 R32, 987.1 Cayman S, Outback wagon
      02-25-2020 02:59 PM #3
      That Tubi exhaust sounds absolutely incredible! +1 for the 987.1 being a great car, I can't stop smiling anytime I drive mine
      The Car Lounge summed up

Quote Originally Posted by Fined View Post
      lots of people who post on this forum are not car OR driving enthusiasts. they just come here and post tirades/smarmy comebacks

Flickr™
      DubCult.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      02-25-2020 03:26 PM #4
      Seems like it's also due to you being pretty good at this high performance driving thing.

Also, barring unreliability or general poor build quality, I'm of the opinion that "once a great car, always a great car." Just because faster and better ones come along, doesn't take away from a specific car still being as thrilling and fun as it was in its heyday.

6. Member
      Cars
      02-25-2020 03:42 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by sicklyscott View Post
      Since you brought it up, may I ask your opinion on the inherent flaws of the m97 motor? Wasn't there cylinder scoring and IMSB issues in them? I know, I know, dead horse but, you seem to have good experiences with the car and have track time to boot.

For a while I was looking for a 987.2 as I really like the packaging of the 987 cars but was hoping for the "more reliable" motor.
      Yes, there are flaws. But the likelihood of any particular car having issues under normal use is low. If you add on a deep sump system with some additional oiling modifications (Motorsport AOS, etc), the cars are very durable. Particularly for street use. Everyone talks about oil starvation under high G loads, but the bigger issue, according to my engine builder, is running the engine at continued high rpm. The oiling system isn’t built for it. Vision motorsports adds in some oiling channels to the crankshaft, etc to bring more oil to the crank bearings.

My car has been rebuilt and strengthened for track use. For peace of mind, I like the 987.2 option for most people. But a 987.1 with some oiling modifications and an IMS upgrade works fabulous. Mods costing $3-$4k for the 987.1 are sometimes cheaper than buying the 987.2 at a premium. Depends on the car! Many others here have had great experiences even without mods.

Cars
      #81 SM 1.6
      02-25-2020 04:21 PM #6
      trackday hero bro
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Sounds great. Maybe I'm just a fascist and didn't know it.. I don't know if I even care anymore.

Cars
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 1991 Miata, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      02-25-2020 04:27 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      Yes, there are flaws. But the likelihood of any particular car having issues under normal use is low. If you add on a deep sump system with some additional oiling modifications (Motorsport AOS, etc), the cars are very durable. Particularly for street use. Everyone talks about oil starvation under high G loads, but the bigger issue, according to my engine builder, is running the engine at continued high rpm. The oiling system isn’t built for it. Vision motorsports adds in some oiling channels to the crankshaft, etc to bring more oil to the crank bearings.

My car has been rebuilt and strengthened for track use. For peace of mind, I like the 987.2 option for most people. But a 987.1 with some oiling modifications and an IMS upgrade works fabulous. Mods costing $3-$4k for the 987.1 are sometimes cheaper than buying the 987.2 at a premium. Depends on the car! Many others here have had great experiences even without mods.
      Correct me if I'm wrong but the IMSB replacement is an engine out, split case exercise, correct? Certainly labor alone is more than 3-4k knowing porsche mechanics.

I'll have to look into the others you mentioned. I might get into one after all!
      Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

9. Member
      Cars
      02-25-2020 04:28 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      trackday hero bro
      Don’t worry, the actual competition is coming soon. I’m warming up for the NASA season. But thanks for your support!

Cars
      #81 SM 1.6
      02-25-2020 04:31 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Dave_Car_Guy View Post
      Don’t worry, the actual competition is coming soon. I’m warming up for the NASA season. But thanks for your support!
      totally!

spec miata lap record is a 1:54.3, so your quicker than a miata!

you might think im being sarcastic, but its a benchmark that a lot of track day heros can't beat.
      Sounds great. Maybe I'm just a fascist and didn't know it.. I don't know if I even care anymore.

Cars
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      02-25-2020 04:35 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by sicklyscott View Post
      Correct me if I'm wrong but the IMSB replacement is an engine out, split case exercise, correct? Certainly labor alone is more than 3-4k knowing porsche mechanics.
      IIRC the bearing design for M97 engines (997.1, 987.1) doesn't require engine-out. It's a simpler replacement process than the M96s.

Dave, thanks for the vids! Looking forward to watching in-depth later.

Not sure what the current 'ultimate value Porsche' is right now but 987.1s around $20k seem like great options. 981.1s are starting to dip under $30k too... first year Boxsters though, not Caymans. 997.1s under $30k too.
      Last edited by Mike!; 02-25-2020 at 04:38 PM.

12. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      02-25-2020 04:36 PM #11
      Man those GT drivers

Cars
      02-25-2020 04:53 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      IIRC the bearing design for M97 engines (997.1, 987.1) doesn't require engine-out. It's a simpler replacement process than the M96s.
      Only the case for some early 997.1s (pre-March 2005 build date) that have the old bearing design. The new, larger bearing requires splitting the case if you choose to do it but the failure rates are much lower for the updated larger bearing. All 987.1 Caymans should have the larger bearing.

From Rennlist https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...stion-ims.html

If you pull the trans and have the larger bearing, remove the outer grease seal from the bearing and put it back together. If you have the smaller bearing, replace it with the IMS solution (the likelihood of failure on a smaller bearing is too high) - The Solution is an oil-fed bearing used on the air cooled Mezger engines you're more familiar with that doesn't have any rollers or ***** to come apart - just rides on a film of oil.

If you don't want to pull the transmission, look at the engine # and if it's a higher number than M96/05 69507476 odds are you have the larger bearing, but again, on an '05, no guarantee without visual inspection.
      The Car Lounge summed up

lots of people who post on this forum are not car OR driving enthusiasts. they just come here and post tirades/smarmy comebacks

Flickr™
      DubCult.

14. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      02-25-2020 05:12 PM #13
      I wanted to get a base 987.1 Cayman if I had a garage here, they're awesome cars with minor mods. The base cars in particular seem to suffer less from the cylinder scoring issues, and they make plenty of power - especially with typical intake/headers/tune.

Cars
      #81 SM 1.6
      02-25-2020 05:14 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      I wanted to get a base 987.1 Cayman if I had a garage here, they're awesome cars with minor mods. The base cars in particular seem to suffer less from the cylinder scoring issues, and they make plenty of power - especially with typical intake/headers/tune.
      if spec boxster was a thing here id run one in a heartbeat. they seem tough, reliable, quick enough, and they dont really require blueprinted pro motors like we do. body work would likely be more though, man, gotta love miatas.

16. Member Vettes, Volvos and VWs's Avatar
      Cars
      Five Germans and a Japanese Misfit
      02-25-2020 05:41 PM #15
      I had just read EVO car of the year for 2019 where they crowned the 718 GT4. That being said most of the writers were not convinced it did anything significantly better than the 2015 GT4 that had also won car of the year. Now I want a 987 GT4
      Quote Originally Posted by Baconator14 View Post
      vettes, volvos, and vws for president
      Quote Originally Posted by UAlvarez View Post
      you're a boss. your sig is appropriate
      My Weak Shiz l Milk █Bg█ Mafia Click here and PM me for Speed-Tech Hood Extensions!

Cars
      02-25-2020 05:44 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Vettes, Volvos and VWs View Post
      I had just read EVO car of the year for 2019 where they crowned the 718 GT4. That being said most of the writers were not convinced it did anything significantly better than the 2015 GT4 that had also won car of the year. Now I want a 981 GT4
      Fixed for ya! The closest thing to a 987 GT4 is the Cayman R
      The Car Lounge summed up

Flickr™
      DubCult.

18. Member Vettes, Volvos and VWs's Avatar
      Cars
      Five Germans and a Japanese Misfit
      02-25-2020 05:46 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by aar0n. View Post
      Fixed for ya! The closest thing to a 987 GT4 is the Cayman R
      Ah fack.... was trying to reason through that. Lol thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Baconator14 View Post
      vettes, volvos, and vws for president
      Quote Originally Posted by UAlvarez View Post
      you're a boss. your sig is appropriate
      My Weak Shiz l Milk █Bg█ Mafia Click here and PM me for Speed-Tech Hood Extensions!

19. Member
      Cars
      02-25-2020 06:08 PM #18
      if spec boxster was a thing here id run one in a heartbeat. they seem tough, reliable, quick enough, and they dont really require blueprinted pro motors like we do. body work would likely be more though, man, gotta love miatas.
      totally!

spec miata lap record is a 1:54.3, so you're quicker than a miata!

you might think im being sarcastic, but its a benchmark that a lot of track day heros can't beat.
      Yeah, thanks. I wasn't aware of the Spec Miata record at Sonoma. That's cooking! Most Spec Miatas run 1:56 to 1:58 at Sonoma, in my experience. For example, here is a link to the NASA Spec Miata race last March at Sonoma. Typical best laps tend to be about 1:56. In June, they run more like 1:58 to 1:59 when it's hot.

NASA scoring Timing Results Sonoma Raceway Spec Miata, Spec E30.

That same day, I was running maybe 1:53 - 1:54 in my first NASA TT event with my Shelby. Meanwhile, my friend Tony Brakohiapa (professional driver, Senior Instructor for the Sonoma Race School, Formual Drift driver, Pike's peak, etc.) was doing 1:47 in his highly modified GT350R. I'd say his 6 seconds better than me that day was 1/3 car prep and 2/3 skill. So I figured I had 4 seconds of improvement. With him in the car instructing egging me on, I got my best time of 1:50.04 later in 2019 (video below), on a day that Tony drove my car to a best time 1:49.3. So I have gotten pretty dang close to him. He has since bested his time to 1:45 in his car so I figure I still have 2-3 seconds to get better, both in the Cayman and in the Shelby. So 1:51 is my target in the Cayman and to break 1:50 in that car, I think I'd need a seat, harness, wing, and splitter.

NASA Time Trial results Sonoma Raceway

For comparison, Racers in the Spec E46 and the Spec 911 classes that same day were typically between 1:52.5 and 1:55.

And in case you think SCCA is any different than NASA, here is a Sonoma Spec Miata race where most cars run in the 2:00 range. Fastest time (hotter days) are around 1:57.

SCCA Timing Scoring Sonoma Raceway

My point is that the Cayman is a terrific car, not that I'm a good driver. I think I do OK, but that is mainly a function of tons of track time on 3 specific tracks. But the primary point of the story is that the Cayman 987, when driven properly, is a great track toy and with proper mods, can actually be a competitive amateur racer. Better than buying too much car that you're unwilling to unleash at the track!
      Last edited by Dave_Car_Guy; 02-25-2020 at 06:12 PM.

20. Member
      Cars
      02-25-2020 06:19 PM #19
      Again, for comparison. My best time at Sonoma in the GT350R is 1:50.04. Shooting some day for 1:47. But that means the Cayman is only 3 seconds slower on the same track with the same driver.

http://youtu.be/qGpFCoNN444

21. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      02-25-2020 08:23 PM #20
      I've only briefly driven your 987, but I really liked it. Lot more involving than my friends 981 GTS.

I really gotta go out and join you one of these days. I was told I can grab the demo Evora GT from work, which is great, as I can go thrash someone elses tires.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. Assetto Corsa Discord Link. Join us for some sim racing fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

22. Member
      Cars
      02-25-2020 11:09 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I was told I can grab the demo Evora GT from work, which is great, as I can go thrash someone elses tires.
      Some might say that the BEST track car... is someone else's.

Pick a track day with HOD, Trackmasters, or NASA. I'll go!

23. 02-26-2020 12:12 AM #22
      Sweet! Didn't realize you had track vids up. Gonna add these to my pre-track day study list

Cars
      987.2 | GTI
      02-26-2020 12:49 AM #23
      Oh whatever Dave, yours is a fancy-pants Cayman S. Anyone can do that....pssshhh.

25. Member
      Cars
      997 GTS | BMW M2
      02-26-2020 02:40 AM #24
      cool videos, thanks. I enjoyed watching them.

Cars
      OG 2001 Jetta 1.8t
      02-26-2020 06:08 AM #25
      Great capture of elevation changes, most in-car vids don't do elevation change justice. Thanks for posting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast