Fourtitude.com - 2020 Cadillac CT5-V First Drive
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
      02-26-2020 12:17 PM #51
      I owned a CTS for about a year and the backseat was also surprisingly small for a car of its size: I had owned a TL before it and the Acura had much more legroom. I dumped the CTS after I had an issue Cadillac could not resolve.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

02-26-2020 02:51 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      It's those middle models that are worth comparing to the CT5-V. The S4 makes 349 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque. The M340i produces 382 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque. The C43 is good for 385 hp and 384 lb-ft of torque. I'm aware this has turned into a numbers-fest, but bear with me: The CT5-V's engine creates 360 hp and 405 lb-ft of torque. Not the most (or the least) powerful, but it's the torquiest by a healthy margin. As former GM vice chairman Bob Lutz said, "Americans buy horsepower but drive torque." Cadillac will be employing a similar strategy with the upcoming CT4, CT4-V, and unnamed range topper (probably CT4-V Max).
      Thought there was something off about that. The S4 and S5 (in Europe, admittedly) get a TDI version which generates 700Nm (516lbft). Shame dieselgate ruined the chances of the US getting that, I guess. Modern diesels are quite tempting I'm starting to think.
      Current: 2019 BMW X3
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II
      Gasoline | Hybrid | Diesel

4. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6, 2006 CR-V
      02-26-2020 03:10 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Alpha platform is a packaging disaster and for that alone I don't think I could ever buy one, no matter how good the rest of the car is.
      Packaging in cars doesn't matter anymore because if people want space they buy CUV.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

5. Member
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      02-26-2020 03:42 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Packaging in cars doesn't matter anymore because if people want space they buy CUV.
      Yeah but that poor packaging can also carry over into CUVs. A Honda CR-V has 40.4" of rear legroom while the BMW X5 has 37.4".

Cars
      17 ATS-v
      02-26-2020 10:20 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by J.Yossarian View Post
      I was very concerned by initial reviews of the CT5 - seemed like Cadillac had completely missed the mark. I don't remember many (if any) positive comments, as the consensus was pretty much that Cadillac neutered the car of the fun-to-drive character they had spent several decades building. After reading these V reviews and seeing a CT5 at the local auto show this weekend, I'm pretty smitten. The one I sat in was black, but it's a really striking design in person (even accounting for the awkward C pillar). Kudos to Cadillac for finding a unique and appealing look. I really, really want to drive one of these things.

I forget exactly how Cadillac is going to do it, but I know the plan moving forward is to shift back to real names versus the current alphabet soup. Did they determine they're just going to do it with the new generation of each model?

Same here. My ATS-V lease is up at the end of March and I have been planning to get a CT5-V as a replacement. After reading the first reviews of the CT5 I was really concerned they had ruined an otherwise great vehicle set between ATS and CTS. My dealer recently let me take a CT5 Sport home for a Demo test for a few days and I wasn't as disappointed as I expected to be based on those early reviews. The power was really down compared to my ATS-v but I expected that going in. In day-to-day street driving, the handling was pretty good. Good enough to satisfy most buyers anyways. Frankly, "good enough" is all that most people want as long as they are happy with other elements of the car. The CT5-V can cater to the other 5%, which it sounds like it does. Prior to my ATS-V I also had a CTS vSport so I have a lot of time driving the Alpha Cadillac's. And even with my CTS vSport people would occasionally complain it rode too stiff for a "Cadillac". At the end of the day most buyers don't have the same priorities as most auto journalists.

Anyways it looks like I'll be picking up a CT5-V at the end of March (assuming lease rates aren't ridiculous).

but I am gonna miss this guy

Cars
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      02-28-2020 11:57 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Pushrods View Post
      I'd read that, but I can't compare directly - I haven't spent any time in an ATS.

From the way people go on about it here, it sounded like the ATS's backseat was bordering on being Camaro-like. The CT4's wasn't expansive, but it certainly wasn't bad.

As I said, the overall feeling sitting in it was that it was decent sized. I'm a big guy (6'2 230) and I felt about as comfortable in it as my SS. Comparing the specs now, I see leg room and head room up front are almost identical, which might be why it seemed similar for the few minutes I sat in it. There's certainly larger deltas for most other dimensions, so I retract my previous comments.
      The rear seat is not bad in the ATS. My 4 year old fits fine in a car seat with enough room for most passengers in the front. I have had 4 adults in mine for short drives without complaints.
      I would compare it with the backseat of other compacts(Civic, Jetta, etc), but with and manual, RWD drivetrain.

Cars
      02-28-2020 12:08 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Pushrods View Post
      I'd read that, but I can't compare directly - I haven't spent any time in an ATS.

From the way people go on about it here, it sounded like the ATS's backseat was bordering on being Camaro-like. The CT4's wasn't expansive, but it certainly wasn't bad.

As I said, the overall feeling sitting in it was that it was decent sized. I'm a big guy (6'2 230) and I felt about as comfortable in it as my SS. Comparing the specs now, I see leg room and head room up front are almost identical, which might be why it seemed similar for the few minutes I sat in it. There's certainly larger deltas for most other dimensions, so I retract my previous comments.
      The ATS rear seat is fine. It is comparable to other compact cars that it competes against(A3/S3/RS3, 2 series, etc).
      I am 5'11" and there is enough room in the seat behind me for most adults.
      It is definitely bigger than most sports coupes.

Cars
      02-28-2020 12:25 PM #58

10. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      02-28-2020 12:34 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      The horror! How will you ever be able to load up 380 rolls of Costco TP now! Or pickup Grandma from the airport 350 miles away and fit her 11 full size suitcases! Shame on Cadillac for not making the trunk 13 cu ft like the E-Class, which can easily swallow all of the above Grandpa included!
      "Why doesn't this car have as much space as my Escalade ESV?! Trash I tell you, trash!"
      Instagram - efrie004

You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

11. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      02-28-2020 12:35 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0T_Convert View Post
      The horror! How will you ever be able to load up 380 rolls of Costco TP now! Or pickup Grandma from the airport 350 miles away and fit her 11 full size suitcases! Shame on Cadillac for not making the trunk 13 cu ft like the E-Class, which can easily swallow all of the above Grandpa included!
      "Why does this car not have the storage of my Escalade ESV? Cadillac builds nothing but trash these days!"
      Instagram - efrie004

12. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      02-28-2020 12:51 PM #61
      Damn 194" long and 4000 lbs, that is one big car. Sounds like this is a modernized E39 M5, not a 3 series fighter. $48k is nice though, that leaves hope for the CT4-V to be affordable.

Cars
      E350 Wagon, Arteon
      03-10-2020 06:12 PM #62
      Looks like a true V with a manual is coming..

14. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      03-10-2020 06:55 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post

They pointed that out in the article.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      03-11-2020 08:42 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by ttiguy View Post
      The power was really down compared to my ATS-v
      The power is really down from my ATS 2.0T.
      35hp less, 37lb/ft less and 300lbs more weight.

I am anxiously waiting for the CT4V and CT5V to show up at a dealer so I can get a closer look.
      I would be especially interested if they bring a manual CT5V for 2021 like MT mentioned.

16. Member
      Cars
      2017 Golf R DSG, 2017 Miata RF GT, 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
      03-11-2020 09:15 AM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      Damn 194" long and 4000 lbs, that is one big car. Sounds like this is a modernized E39 M5, not a 3 series fighter. $48k is nice though, that leaves hope for the CT4-V to be affordable.
      It's not a 3-series fighter. Cadillac is back to the inbetweener strategy: one size class up for the same price as the size class down.

17. Member
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      03-11-2020 09:59 AM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      It's not a 3-series fighter. Cadillac is back to the inbetweener strategy: one size class up for the same price as the size class down.
      I think it is a 3-series fighter, just not in the ineffective way that the ATS was a 3-series fighter. Cadillac needs to offer more space for less money compared to the likes of BMW, not unlike Genesis or Lexus. That's why the cramped G70 is priced so low and why the Lexus ES is the only sedan that brand can really sell at any reasonable volume.

Cadillac should be the American comfort choice that is capable of showing its wild muscle car-ish side, kind of like Mercedes Benz is in Germany.

In the end, the 3-series fighters are going after the "volume generic premium brand sedan lease customer" more than anything else. How you acquire that customer is up to you whether you try to win on size, power, price, or combination of the three.

Cars
      03-11-2020 11:55 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      I think it is a 3-series fighter, just not in the ineffective way that the ATS was a 3-series fighter. Cadillac needs to offer more space for less money compared to the likes of BMW, not unlike Genesis or Lexus. That's why the cramped G70 is priced so low and why the Lexus ES is the only sedan that brand can really sell at any reasonable volume.

Cadillac should be the American comfort choice that is capable of showing its wild muscle car-ish side, kind of like Mercedes Benz is in Germany.

In the end, the 3-series fighters are going after the "volume generic premium brand sedan lease customer" more than anything else. How you acquire that customer is up to you whether you try to win on size, power, price, or combination of the three.
      I think this will be a good 3 series fighter just based on price.

In Canada, the 255hp 330i starts at $53K.
      The 360hp CT5V starts at $52K.

19. Moderator Oliver@triplezoom's Avatar
      Cars
      2011 BMW 328i Touring, 2017 MINI Clubman John Cooper Works
      03-11-2020 12:14 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Karl_1340 View Post
      I think this will be a good 3 series fighter just based on price.

In Canada, the 255hp 330i starts at $53K.
      The 360hp CT5V starts at $52K.
      Yeah, and for $70k you get a pretty much loaded AWD one. It's definitely a strong value.

Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      03-11-2020 12:52 PM #69
      Does the Blackwing fit in this platform at all? Or is it too wide?
      DCIVW
      CE.

Cars
      2017 Golf GTI Sport
      03-11-2020 12:59 PM #70

I'm guessing what appears to be a "V" button on the steering wheel is similar in concept to "Z" mode on the new Corvette.

Never sad to see another manual transmission! Wonder when Cadillac plans to unveil this thing.

22. Member
      Cars
      2017 Golf R DSG, 2017 Miata RF GT, 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
      03-11-2020 03:32 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      Does the Blackwing fit in this platform at all? Or is it too wide?
      The Blackwing is dead except for OEM applications. Talk about a waste of time and money.

Cars
      2017 VW Golf R Oryxweiß 6MT Stage 2
      03-11-2020 10:36 PM #72

Wow so they are brining back the V8 with a manual!! Looks like the V8 manual super sedan is being brought back from the dead, at least for a few more years...!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Cars
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      03-12-2020 08:21 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by ttiguy View Post
      Same here. My ATS-V lease is up at the end of March and I have been planning to get a CT5-V as a replacement. After reading the first reviews of the CT5 I was really concerned they had ruined an otherwise great vehicle set between ATS and CTS. My dealer recently let me take a CT5 Sport home for a Demo test for a few days and I wasn't as disappointed as I expected to be based on those early reviews. The power was really down compared to my ATS-v but I expected that going in. In day-to-day street driving, the handling was pretty good. Good enough to satisfy most buyers anyways. Frankly, "good enough" is all that most people want as long as they are happy with other elements of the car. The CT5-V can cater to the other 5%, which it sounds like it does. Prior to my ATS-V I also had a CTS vSport so I have a lot of time driving the Alpha Cadillac's. And even with my CTS vSport people would occasionally complain it rode too stiff for a "Cadillac". At the end of the day most buyers don't have the same priorities as most auto journalists.

Anyways it looks like I'll be picking up a CT5-V at the end of March (assuming lease rates aren't ridiculous).

but I am gonna miss this guy

I take it you only lease? Room for only so many cars?

If you really like your ATS-V coupe and can float the payment, I’ve noticed when used CTS-V browsing that resale value seems to have a high floor. Might not ‘cost’ much depreciation to keep it around. Not like they’re making more (manual?) coupes anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      Wow so they are brining back the V8 with a manual!! Looks like the V8 manual super sedan is being brought back from the dead, at least for a few more years...!

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
      If Cadillac resurrects the manual sport sedan, even for a few years, I’m going to do everything in my power to support that and buy one. That’ll be quite the swan song.

25. Member
      Cars
      ATS, Type-R
      03-12-2020 08:27 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Yeah, and for $70k you get a pretty much loaded AWD one. It's definitely a strong value.
      My only complaint is either you get full option load or essentially nothing. As soon as you want any option you're forced to take every other option and the price jumps. My wife wants an XT4, and I cringe at the thought that the CT5-V could be had for essentially the same price.

Cars
      03-12-2020 08:35 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      The Blackwing is dead except for OEM applications. Talk about a waste of time and money.
      It's not dead

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-v-8-mat-news/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast