Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
      Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      02-25-2020 10:25 AM #1
      jonnylieberman I drove the new Cadillac CT5-V. It was shockingly good. Long story short: the Caddy is a better driver’s car than the Audi S4, BMW M340i, and/or Mercedes-AMG C43. Any questions? #cadillac #ct5v @cadillac photo by @_jess_walker_
      2020 Cadillac CT5-V First Drive: Fighting Assumptions
      Cadillac’s first redefined V pummels our expectations

Jonny LiebermanWordsMotor Trend StaffPhotosFeb 25, 2020

I believe I can be forgiven for my quite negative preconceived notions going into this drive. See, at our annual Car of the Year brouhaha, we drove the non-V version of the CT5. We did not like it. It was one of the first cars we culled from the field, as I recall, and one that led to almost every judge muttering a version of, "What is Cadillac thinking?"

It's not like we're Cadillac haters, either. When the CTS—one of the cars the CT5 replaces—was new in 2014, we named it our Car of the Year. But when it came to the CT5, among the many things we dinged it for were its "overworked turbo-four engine" and "lackluster driving dynamics." Surely the upcoming V version would be the CT5's savior? Not the way Cadillac initially pitched it.

The new CT5-V does have a 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 that makes 360 horsepower and 405 lb-ft of torque. Thing is, the recently deleted CTS-V had a 6.2-liter supercharged V-8 that made 640 hp and 630 lb-ft of torque. Sacre Bleu!

What's going on? Think German. Audi makes the A4, S4, and RS 4 (even though you can't buy an RS 4 in America). BMW makes the 330i, M340i, and M3. Mercedes-Benz makes the C 300, while Mercedes-AMG makes the C43 and C63.

It's those middle models that are worth comparing to the CT5-V. The S4 makes 349 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque. The M340i produces 382 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque. The C43 is good for 385 hp and 384 lb-ft of torque. I'm aware this has turned into a numbers-fest, but bear with me: The CT5-V's engine creates 360 hp and 405 lb-ft of torque. Not the most (or the least) powerful, but it's the torquiest by a healthy margin. As former GM vice chairman Bob Lutz said, "Americans buy horsepower but drive torque." Cadillac will be employing a similar strategy with the upcoming CT4, CT4-V, and unnamed range topper (probably CT4-V Max).

The CT5-V then becomes Cadillac's midgrade performance car, with a more powerful and yet-to-be-named range topper coming. That car (I'm guessing it will be called something like CT5-V Max) will be first seen in April at the New York auto show. Will it have the 6.2-liter supercharged V-8 and 10-speed auto powertrain combo currently powering the Chevy Camaro ZL1? Yeah. I'd guess power levels at around 650 hp/650 lb-ft, just like the big Camaros.
      With all these items working together, Cadillac claims the CT5-V will hit 60 mph in 4.6 seconds, with the AWD version a touch slower. Prices start at $48,690 for the rear-driver and $51,290 for the all-wheel drive version.

Here's the thing: When you think about the cars the CT5-V is directly targeting—S4, M340i, and C43—you conclude that Cadillac's got them all beat, not just on price but also on what really matters in this segment: performance. None of those three Germans drives like this thing. Even though I shouldn't be, what with the recent history of Cadillac V lineup, I am impressed and surprised.
      Full article: https://www.motortrend.com/cars/cadi...v-first-drive/

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 1991 Miata, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      02-25-2020 11:09 AM #2
      I've always been a cheerleader of Caddy's V series cars. The ATS-V is my current favorite as it's just a great driver's car that can easily fit the kids in the back. The challenge has always been Cadillac has gotten the macro stuff right but, in this segment it's really about the details. This would include the infotainment setup and integration with the gauge cluster.

Let's see what the "max" brings.
      Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

4. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-25-2020 11:14 AM #3
      The possibility of a six speed coming in future CT5-V's is great news.

Then add the CT5-V Max to the mix and we've got a nice group of sedans.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      02-25-2020 11:16 AM #4
      It will be interesting to see if this can find enough buyers. They seem to have gotten the car right.

6. Member
      Cars
      ‘77 Ford Bronco ‘85 Toyota 4x4 ‘87 930 ‘07 BMW e91 ‘08 Xterra
      02-25-2020 11:28 AM #5
      I need closeups of the gages and steering wheel stitching before I can form an opinion.

7. 02-25-2020 11:59 AM #6
      Buick should make a Grand National with this formula
      Boiler Up!

8. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-25-2020 12:08 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      I need closeups of the gages and steering wheel stitching before I can form an opinion.

I'd have to wager the V is very close.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Secret underground lair with machine gun turrets
      Cars
      392+485=LOL
      02-25-2020 12:09 PM #8
      The C pillar is still a hate crime, but it looks better overall in V trim.
      "First, I'm going to go down on you real slow and make you happy. Then I'm going climb up and fvck you hard." - Gas Prices

10. Member
      02-25-2020 12:21 PM #9
      Best Motortrend has: https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/s...-dashboard.jpg
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

11. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      02-25-2020 12:29 PM #10
      Great looking car and nice powertrain. I like Cadillac's tiered V approach.

I'm really looking forward to the CT4-V as well since I like my 4 doors on the smaller side. Speaking onf CT4 - anyone have any idea when they become available?

12. 02-25-2020 12:38 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      Great looking car and nice powertrain. I like Cadillac's tiered V approach.

I'm really looking forward to the CT4-V as well since I like my 4 doors on the smaller side. Speaking onf CT4 - anyone have any idea when they become available?

Not sure on availability, the reps were occupied the few times I stopped by, but I sat in the CT4-V at Daytona last month. I was pretty impressed.

It didn't strike me as a small car though. Interior-wise it didn't feel significantly smaller than the SS. The regular spec CT5 felt a little bigger.
      2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      02-25-2020 12:39 PM #12
      I find these cars to be fantastic looking in person, really attention grabbing. I stopped into a Caddy dealer a month ago after a few of these got my attention when I drove past the dealer. The sport version of the regular car has the looks, but I'm not interested in a 2.0t. Happy to hear that the upcoming V will bring some nice 6-cyl oomph. if I was in the market for a S4 and the other competitive Germans, I'd definitely give one of these a go.

14. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      02-25-2020 12:40 PM #13
      Seems like this is a nice evolution of the ATS-V (which was too small and too cheap inside to find any number of buyers, plus the 8AT is terrible), offering more usable space and a better interior with strong dirving dynamics.

That C-pillar, though. He's not wrong. Would it look better with the interior section painted?

Cars
      Various POSes in good mechanical condition
      02-25-2020 12:41 PM #14
      We don't mind the gages; jury's still out on the stitching.
      "No manual, no care."

Quote Originally Posted by davewg View Post
      It wasn't just about the top of the dash. Or stroking it. It was just the overall feel inside the cabin. Everything was fine until you looked at the dashboard.

Cars
      2016 A6 2.0T Quattro
      02-25-2020 12:42 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Seabird View Post
      The C pillar is still a hate crime, but it looks better overall in V trim.
      Why do they always do this

17. Member
      Cars
      2017 Golf R DSG, 2017 Miata RF GT, 2017 Genesis G90 Ultimate
      02-25-2020 01:30 PM #16
      I hope they addressed the reliability. The last CTS VSport was a ticking time bomb with the turbos.

18. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      02-25-2020 01:37 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      I hope they addressed the reliability. The last CTS VSport was a ticking time bomb with the turbos.
      Was it? I never heard that.

19. Member
      Cars
      ATS, Type-R
      02-25-2020 01:41 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by unhappymeal View Post
      Totally different motor

20. Member
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      02-25-2020 01:41 PM #19
      Good to see that Cadillac is back to the strategy of comparing their midsize sedan to the next-size-down compact executive German offerings. It is the right move for them.

Someone might bring up the G70's value proposition, but that thing is really a full segment below this car.

21. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      02-25-2020 01:43 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Pushrods View Post
      Not sure on availability, the reps were occupied the few times I stopped by, but I sat in the CT4-V at Daytona last month. I was pretty impressed.

It didn't strike me as a small car though. Interior-wise it didn't feel significantly smaller than the SS. The regular spec CT5 felt a little bigger.
      CT4 is the same size, wheelbase, etc. as the ATS. It'll be the smallest RWD sedan on the market AFAIK.

22. 02-25-2020 02:02 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      CT4 is the same size, wheelbase, etc. as the ATS. It'll be the smallest RWD sedan on the market AFAIK.

I'd read that, but I can't compare directly - I haven't spent any time in an ATS.

From the way people go on about it here, it sounded like the ATS's backseat was bordering on being Camaro-like. The CT4's wasn't expansive, but it certainly wasn't bad.

As I said, the overall feeling sitting in it was that it was decent sized. I'm a big guy (6'2 230) and I felt about as comfortable in it as my SS. Comparing the specs now, I see leg room and head room up front are almost identical, which might be why it seemed similar for the few minutes I sat in it. There's certainly larger deltas for most other dimensions, so I retract my previous comments.

23. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      02-25-2020 02:05 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Pushrods View Post
      I'd read that, but I can't compare directly - I haven't spent any time in an ATS.

From the way people go on about it here, it sounded like the ATS's backseat was bordering on being Camaro-like. The CT4's wasn't expansive, but it certainly wasn't bad.

As I said, the overall feeling sitting in it was that it was decent sized. I'm a big guy (6'2 230) and I felt about as comfortable in it as my SS. Comparing the specs now, I see leg room and head room up front are almost identical, which might be why it seemed similar for the few minutes I sat in it. There's certainly larger deltas for most other dimensions, so I retract my previous comments.
      People here think that anything smaller than an Avalon is too small in the back, just like anything under 400 hp is too slow to keep up with traffic.

24. 02-25-2020 02:12 PM #23
      People here think that anything smaller than an Avalon is too small in the back, just like anything under 400 hp is too slow to keep up with traffic.

Hey now. They're not all wrong.

Cars
      S60, Z/28
      02-25-2020 02:19 PM #24
      After all the hand wringing, it would seem that Caddy has turned out another excellent sedan. I’m not a fan of the c-pillar treatment, but it sounds like you can overlook that. I’ll take it over a BMW gaping maw of a grill.

Now let’s hope they nail the V Max/ Super V / Flying V or whatever they call the V8 version. From the article they seemed to hint that the V8 V won’t have all wheel drive, which puts it at a traction disadvantage compared to the Germans. We’ll see.
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

26. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      02-25-2020 02:19 PM #25
      Its interior is small for its size. The trunk is particularly silly- there are notchback coupes with more cargo space

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast