VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Phillips Extreme Vision XV2 HID or Osram Night Breaker Laser HID

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  brew1 
#1 ·
Looking to replace/upgrade the original OEM HID bulbs in our OEM projectors on our 15 and 16 Audi A3's.

Objective is to increase lumen output and range while maintaining or slightly increasing the OEM Kelvin rating to a whiter bulb but avoiding a bluish tint.

Have narrowed my choices to the following:

Phillips Extreme Vision XV2 rated at 4800K
Osram Night Breaker Laser rated at 4350K

Before pulling the trigger, I'd like to hear from members that have experience with either of the above, preferably with the D3S size bulbs but would also like to hear feedback on other bulb sizes used in the OEM projectors in Audi or VW vehicles.

Thanks,

Mark

#2 ·
There are videos on YouTube that measures output on the bright spot using a lux meter. But usually nightbreaker laser comes out on top

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Those tests and results are less than worthless.

If they knew the first thing about measuring and quantifying light, they would not be waving lux meters in front of HID light sources.

A lux meter is literally blind to the subtleties of metal-halide light sources.

A better test would be asking Helen Keller if the Corolla or the Civic's headlights are brighter.

#4 ·
Automotive HID don't use metal halide gas.

Since you're an expert, how do you measure brightness of an automotive HID bulb?

Iihs uses a lux meter also in their headlight evaluation tests as well

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Hi all,

I installed the Phillips Extreme Vision XV2 rated at 4800K on our 15 Audi A3 a couple weeks ago and thought i'd report back on my experience.

Install was a mild PITA due to having to remove the bumper cover, or at least slide it out far enough to remove the headlight assembly.

Color of light emitted appears justly slightly whiter than the OEM bulbs, not as white as i was expecting. Lighting pattern down the road seems about the same as OEM, possibly a little further. The adjustment on the Audi A3's is extremely conservative and i manually adjusted each light about 1/2 turn up, however, i believe i will need to change the headlight settings with VagCom before making safely making further adjustments.

Overall, the upgrade to the Phillips Extreme Vision XV2 doesn't live up to the company's advertising hype IMHO. Your mileage may vary....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.