Fourtitude.com - Best car if you live in FL?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
      Cars
      A Fancy Nissan
      02-21-2020 09:51 AM #26
      The fact that you think our lack of driving roads down here would change the type of car you want is hysterical. Those of you who live in the damn boonies in the fly over states, you do realize that the nice flashy cars we all pine about are bought by wealthy individuals and wealth tends to accumulate in desirable destinations which coincides with high property values, aka Florida. There are likely more high end and collectors cars in Florida than there are in all the states between NY and FL.

Best car for FL? The best car for whatever your needs are wherever you currently are. The only difference, no snow, so unless you're one of the fake rednecks...or an actual central-west Floridian redneck, you can cross of any need for AWD/4WD.

Also, whoever said good rain tires, correct, but if you spun your car on new tires you did something wrong. Water is water, doesn't matter how much, know how to drive in it. If your parents are "scared" by rain storms and think their subaru will make a damn bit of difference, they likely need to just stop driving and stay off the road along with 95% of drivers down here who suddenly can't do a damn thing at the first sign of water falling from the sky.

/endrant
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      02-21-2020 09:53 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Personally I donít think Iíd own a convertible down here except as like a 3rd or 4th car, itís just too damn hot for a lot of the year and thatís no fun.
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      As for people suggesting a convertible. It would suck 8-9 month of the year. Too much heat and sun to use it.
      nut up buttercups

(inb4 but it's tx so it's a "dry heat"...)

4. Member
      Cars
      2019 VW Arteon SEL Prem R-line
      02-21-2020 09:54 AM #28
      Since I've lived in Florida for 26 years now, I pick what I pick for myself because I like it, but I think if I were to pick the perfect all-around vehicle (not just my personal preference), I'd have to say ideal would be a 3-6 year old AWD slightly raised wagon/hatch with a nice big sunroof and decent power, and good all-weather tires...used Volvo V60 Cross Country, Subaru Forester or Outback, Audi Allroad, etc.
      Reasoning:
      - Still can have reasonable cache to keep up with the middle-upper class without being rejected from the valet lot, yet not so much cache that you're followed home by a van full of people with guns who want to carjack you or rob your home.
      - Wagon/hatch generally will still handle and drive better than SUVs, and still allow you to be a little different
      - Wagon/hatch still has essentially the same passenger and cargo space and flexibility as the SUV, yet can still get better mileage
      - AWD and good all-weather tires for the nearly daily rain we have down here
      - Raised ground clearance so you don't have to worry about driving through 24 inch deep water ponding on the road
      - Just tall enough to clear opossums and turtles in the road without destroying the underbody, yet still not so high as to compromise handling and cross-wind resistance
      - Used/older car so door dings and bumped chips won't cause you to go insane with anger and frustration - because you WILL get them, regularly.
      - Still reasonably small enough to get around and park anywhere, squirt through traffic
      - Still able to accelerate well and get around and away from the rolling blue-hair roadblocks that drive along at 31MPH in the middle of two lanes, and also quick enough to shut down the 21 year old with the coffee-can exhaust lowered Civic with a subwoofer larger than his engine trying to cut in front of you.
      - Usually have really good AC
      - No convertible cloth/vinyl tops which are far too easy to break into and will likely be sliced open at some point in the first few years to try to steal something inside the car, steal the car, or just vandalize it for fun
      _____
      Justin

2019 Arteon SEL Premium R-Line

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      02-21-2020 10:04 AM #29
      Unfortunately it really is. Remote start and remote doors to open the thing up and cool it off quickly, good A/C, plenty of space, absolutely donít care about that itís currently full of sand, etc etc etc.

In fact, we are coming back to the panhandle in June, driving from IL, and I just checked, I can rent a minivan for <$400 for the week to make the trip, that keeps ~2500 miles off of our car and means zero worries about bringing stuff, etc. seems like a no brainer.
      Only when on vacation with a bunch of kids. The title here is Best car if you live in FL? If you lived here with kids then you would either have a minivan or a Tahoe.

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      02-21-2020 10:14 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      The fact that you think our lack of driving roads down here would change the type of car you want is hysterical. Those of you who live in the damn boonies in the fly over states, you do realize that the nice flashy cars we all pine about are bought by wealthy individuals and wealth tends to accumulate in desirable destinations which coincides with high property values, aka Florida. There are likely more high end and collectors cars in Florida than there are in all the states between NY and FL.

Best car for FL? The best car for whatever your needs are wherever you currently are. The only difference, no snow, so unless you're one of the fake rednecks...or an actual central-west Floridian redneck, you can cross of any need for AWD/4WD.

Also, whoever said good rain tires, correct, but if you spun your car on new tires you did something wrong. Water is water, doesn't matter how much, know how to drive in it. If your parents are "scared" by rain storms and think their subaru will make a damn bit of difference, they likely need to just stop driving and stay off the road along with 95% of drivers down here who suddenly can't do a damn thing at the first sign of water falling from the sky.

/endrant
      This. There is no need for AWD in FL if you are driving only on paved roads and have proper, legal tires.

7. 02-21-2020 10:19 AM #31
      I live in Florida. I have a Cabrio and the top is rarely down. So much so I've been considering finding a GTI shell to swap to. Renting a vert while on a trip here makes sense to check that box but owning one for day to day driving gets old.
      People don't know how to park, and parking spots are rarely wider than 8'.
      So my final answer is; a used gray Ford Edge with tinted windows. Inconspicuous, subtle, versatile enough to pick your fam up at the airport, and you won't even keep track of the door dings.
      I daily a Mk7.5 GTI
      _/_/_/__/___/____/_____/______/_______/________/_________/__________/

Dub Cult | Simply Clean

8. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      02-21-2020 11:06 AM #32

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      02-21-2020 11:13 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
      White on tan Testarossa.
      winnar

02-21-2020 11:26 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Triple white 5.0... Obviously

11. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      02-21-2020 11:31 AM #35
      Bolt LT with cloth seats, or something like an Audi e-Tron or the new Mercedes thing.

Why not take advantage of the nearly limitless sun juice to power your car? At least for a daily. To your point, it need not be sporty, the road surfaces are pretty good, and you don't have to worry about the decreased range issues brought on by cold weather.

Cars
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      02-21-2020 12:15 PM #36
      First of all, you'd want something really flashy and flamboyant. That's what everything is down there, so blend in. Otherwise, someone might want to talk to you or take pictures. AND WE CAN'T HAVE THAT. Secondly, no need to worry about your family as it will fall apart once you're immersed in all that a**. So, I'd get a used R8 or an Aston Martin... pair that with a few Greg Norman shirts and some pastel bermudas and you're set.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

Cars
      Japanese Truck, Italian Motorcycle
      02-21-2020 12:40 PM #37
      Unfortunately it really is. Remote start and remote doors to open the thing up and cool it off quickly, good A/C, plenty of space, absolutely donít care about that itís currently full of sand, etc etc etc.

In fact, we are coming back to the panhandle in June, driving from IL, and I just checked, I can rent a minivan for <$400 for the week to make the trip, that keeps ~2500 miles off of our car and means zero worries about bringing stuff, etc. seems like a no brainer.
      I had the exact same minivan as a rental when i went to FL (Pensacola, still sorta counts) to visit family last Christmas. Can confirm, ultimate Florida car. Not terrible to drive either since everything is flat and straight.
      ಠ_ಠ

Cars
      D40 Frontier CC 4X4, 3BG Passat .:RS Variant
      02-21-2020 12:51 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      My best friends dad lives in Miami. His Ferrari F8 is on order. Turns out who cares about road and everyone cares about what car you roll up in.

So that being said, Iíll take a new McLaren whatever or something. Show the Joneses whatís up.
      All of those would be really fun to have being single in Miami!

15. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      02-21-2020 01:03 PM #39
      Not that I'd necessarily choose this car but I always felt this color combo belongs in Florida. Exterior color is Snapper Rocks Blue.

That said if I had to choose a more usable DD, then a Miami Blue Porsche Macan w/air conditioned seats.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

Cars
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      02-21-2020 01:16 PM #40
      My last few Florida rental cars:

Chevy Tahoe (K2XX)
      Jeep GC (WK2)
      Ford Expedition (previous gen refresh with EcoBoost)
      Ford Fusion
      Chevy Tahoe (GMT900)
      Chevy Suburban (GMT900)

Ask me anything

I echo that a JGC is a great fit for FL roads. Good A/C, comfy, good view around three lanes of traffic looking for passing opportunities, a ZF8 that makes sure the engine is right there, right now when you ask for it, and decent on gas with the auto stop/start. I was quite impressed; much better than any of the school buses (though K2XX > GMT900) or the Fusion.

Cars
      Miata RF, JKU, Cabriolet
      02-21-2020 01:23 PM #41
      This with tinted windows:

18. 02-21-2020 01:28 PM #42
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post

/endrant

Except it does make a difference.
      Is AWD/4WD necessary? Absolutely not.
      Does it make a difference? Oh yes.

My motherís old vehicle was a typical RWD V6 suv, any rain and it would spin the back tires even while on overdrive and with new Michelins, switched to an Outback.. she swore she never wanted 2wd again, eventually upgrade to an Ascent.

Both my friends with 2wd trucks want to upgrade to 4wd trucks, said 2wd never again unless itís strictly a company truck.
      Sure they can pull their boats out of the water if they donít get caught in a storm, but itís a struggle.
      It rains? Youíre not taking your boat back out of the water.
      Wanna take a road trip up north to the NC/TN mountains? Canít take the truck.

Heck my Si and STI both have the same Sumitomo tires with about the same wear.
      My Si sucks driving on wet highways, my STI drives like the water is not even there.

Went to see an air show with a friend, thankfully we took his AWD Q50, and not my civic. Everyone was getting stuck and bottoming out on the wet grass, the q50 had no issues.
      Once the civic lease is gone.. itís getting replaced with a GX470/460 with all terrains and never looking back.

So youíre right itís not necessary, specially if you live a life where you donít take road trips or go boating, or do anything fun; but for some people it makes a huge difference.
      Last edited by Ilikewaffles; 02-21-2020 at 01:30 PM.

02-21-2020 01:30 PM #43
      I went to the SW FL back in December. I had this Yukon. Interior big af, the V8 was powerful enough, comfortable af. Ass cooler and ass warmer seats too.

2016 GTI S 6MT 2door

Cars
      91 318iS,13 GTI
      02-21-2020 01:39 PM #44
      Was just down in Siesta Key last weekend. My girls step dad has a brand new Z06 vette and I can't figure out why he thought that car was ideal. Doesn't fit their golf clubs, they drive slow as hell and there seems to be cops everywhere.

Personally I'd go with a hardtop Wrangler.
      Quote Originally Posted by Rutledge View Post
      Well, then, I'm here to "ruin" the vortex for you. I'm sorry you hate fun.
      1991 318is M50 Swapped
      2013 GTI

21. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      02-21-2020 01:45 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post
      Was just down in Siesta Key last weekend. My girls step dad has a brand new Z06 vette and I can't figure out why he thought that car was ideal. Doesn't fit their golf clubs, they drive slow as hell and there seems to be cops everywhere.

Ohh, the step parents drive slow. I thought you were saying the Z06 is slow and I was all .

22. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-21-2020 01:48 PM #46
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      winnar

This is always the answer.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

23. 02-21-2020 02:06 PM #47
      I'm gonna suggest a Baja Bug.

24. 02-21-2020 02:07 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by B3passatBMX View Post

I live in Siesta/Sarasota, of course they drive slow in the keys.. theyíre tiny islands with 2 lane roads.

But Sarasota has a ton of built 1000+hp high power cars and performance shops, we have a drag strip; and typically the locals drive pretty fast.. itís common to go 90mph on the interstate or faster, but the visitors canít figure out how to use the gas pedal.

Heck we even hold boat races here.

25. 02-21-2020 02:29 PM #49

26. Member
      Cars
      2019 VW Arteon SEL Prem R-line
      02-21-2020 02:33 PM #50
      True - Except for rush hour traffic into and out of Miami on I95 and connecting roads in the Miami area, most highways in S. Florida are quite fast. My commute to work and back again require at least 90MPH to not get rear ended - the average 3-row SUV with the housewife chatting on the phone is going that fast on the Sawgrass Expressway. We do have dragstrips and raceways here and there for those who want to go fast legally, and there are some roads known for extreme speed illegally too, such as early AM on the Alligator Alley, or 27 through the Everglades.
      _____
      Justin

2019 Arteon SEL Premium R-Line

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast