VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

knock sensor range!

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  garryt 
#1 ·
would anyone know the range of adjustment the knock sensor has?

#4 ·
I questioned this thread when it started. Then I understood what you meant.

Years ago I read something published, but I do not recall what it was. I believe the steps were 3 degrees until it stopped knocking. I'm pretty certain there would be a max retard and I suspect it would not be more than 10 degrees. No proof of that.

#5 ·
yeah about 10 degrees seems like a reasonable amount. I was just thinking, if an engine had false knock how far it would pull it back. the bearings in my alternator are starting to grumble and the ks is bolted very close to the alt mount. of course the ks is set to pick up only a certain frequency of vibrations. was also wondering if the digifant used a sequential retard set up, or does it just pull timing on all 4 pots at the same time:confused:

#6 ·
I'm no electrical designer and I understand every year software/hardware get better.

That said, I believe the engineers found the right type of noise that the sensor was picking up and used that for retard. I would think that it would know what is knock and what is not. I do know that TT Tuning does make an aluminum bushing that will dampen that signal and therefore reduce the sensitivity. I have one on my wife's 2H Cabriolet but it came with the chip. I do not know if it helps or not. With a dual 1 7/8 downpipe and 2.25" exhaust and a chip, you need everything you can to get an automatic transmission Cabriolet to move.

https://techtonicstuning.com/main/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=876

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.