Fourtitude.com - The OFFICIAL 2020 NASCAR thread. Yep, they still turn left.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
      Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      02-17-2020 10:06 PM #51
      Some good news...

————
      #NASCAR ... Steve O'Donnell reads statement from the team

Ryan Newman is in serious condition but doctors say the injuries are not life threatening
      ————

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2016 GSW TSI, AT, Comfortline, H&R street performance coil-overs
      02-17-2020 11:11 PM #52
      I can’t believe they allow all that blatant bumping —I’d throw Hamlin out on his ass for a move like that.

Cars
      MK1TDI, BoltEV, G8GXP
      02-17-2020 11:26 PM #53
      I'm not exactly sure I'd go badmouthing Hamlin for celebrating a win, they didn't exactly know how bad the situation was. Waltrip did the same thing in 01, Gibbs apparently apologized to the fans and the teams while in the winners circle.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

Cars
      2006 Polaris RMK900, Dogsled team, Golf Country
      02-17-2020 11:42 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by IdontOwnAVW View Post
      I'm not exactly sure I'd go badmouthing Hamlin for celebrating a win, they didn't exactly know how bad the situation was. Waltrip did the same thing in 01, Gibbs apparently apologized to the fans and the teams while in the winners circle.
      Exactly.

It was a violent crash, but Hamlin didn't know the extent of it when he did his burnout.
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      because F**khole, Canada isn't a real town.

6. Member
      Cars
      2008 Hyundai Accent, 2007 S2000
      02-18-2020 02:20 AM #55
      “I am not a Mac user unless under duress.” - John Carmack

7. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      02-18-2020 06:08 AM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Blaney comes underneath him and hits right where his head should be because he’s upside down. Very scary. Not Blaneys fault obviously.
      Lajoie is who hit him. Blaney was pushing him.

NASCAR got what they wanted. Drama, twittytweets, and views. Ryan Newman has always been critical of pack racing, even to the point where he was fined for telling fans not to buy tickets to see it. Let's just hope he is able to get back in a car at some point, although he is near the end of his career.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

Cars
      German Vans, British cars, and a motorbike.
      02-18-2020 06:09 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by OneSloVW View Post
      Exactly.

It was a violent crash, but Hamlin didn't know the extent of it when he did his burnout.
      None of us did.

I started started making Oprah and Tom Cruise jokes as the car came to a stop on fire. Emergency crew was on top of it immediately, so why worry?

Wasn't until a few minutes later when I realized he was still in the car that I realized the jokes were now tasteless.

Folks that are upset about Hamlin reacting inappropriately in those first five minutes need to lighten up and lay off the hindsight.

9. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      02-18-2020 06:14 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      Folks that are upset about Hamlin reacting inappropriately in those first five minutes need to lighten up and lay off the hindsight.
      I wonder how many of the boos heard when Hamlin got out of his car were just Denny hate and how many were booing in distaste.

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      02-18-2020 07:29 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Lajoie is who hit him. Blaney was pushing him.
      My mistake, thanks for the correction.

Cars
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2019 Elantra GT N-line
      02-18-2020 10:51 AM #60
      Wow, I missed the race and felt bad when I saw the footage. Reminded of Dale Sr and the Kobe Bryant tragedy 3 weeks ago. Praying he makes a full recovery.

FYI, feel bad for Denny and Blaney as well. I don't blame them one bit. Denny not knowing the severity of the accident reminded me of Waltrip not knowing what happened to Dale. Just the reactions afterward brought me back to that day,

12. Member
      Cars
      Current - '19 GLI AB 6MT; Dead - '10 S4 6MT; Gone - '01 S4 6MT
      02-18-2020 10:55 AM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      FYI, feel bad for Denny and Blaney as well. I don't blame them one bit.
      Yea, Blaney was visibly upset when we was being interviewed, and he even tried to make a point that he was just trying to push him to the win. Has to be a horrible feeling all around. Even Gordon seemed like he was choking up talking about it.

Cars
      MK1TDI, BoltEV, G8GXP
      02-18-2020 11:11 AM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by amusante1002 View Post
      Yea, Blaney was visibly upset when we was being interviewed, and he even tried to make a point that he was just trying to push him to the win. Has to be a horrible feeling all around. Even Gordon seemed like he was choking up talking about it.
      Gordon definitely looked like he had teared up off camera.
      IG: @geeofff
      MK1 TDI Swap

14. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      02-18-2020 11:43 AM #63
      As much as I like Newman, hopefully this is his nudge to retire. His attitude toward the series has been awful (rightfully so, mind you) lately, and hopefully after he makes some recovery he sees the light.

Cars
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      02-18-2020 11:54 AM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      None of us did.
      It got to me actually, right away. I saw the driver's side top-cage hit he took from Lajoie and could tell the cage was caved in as he slid down the track. My immediate thought was Bryan Clauson's midget wreck. Top cage hits can have horrible outcomes.....

My relief at Newman's update was enormous. Now I hope his injuries aren't neck or spinal, that's the next hurdle.

16. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7, 2008 A6, 2006 CR-V
      02-18-2020 12:15 PM #65
      That race was a mess from start to finish, and the ending crash was horrible.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      You take that fake rich sled back to the toothless masses and rub their stupid meth faces in your success. Do it for me.

Cars
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia; 2016 Golf GTI S
      02-18-2020 12:29 PM #66
      Not much of a NASCAR viewer any more, but tuned into the final portion of the 500 just to see how Newman, the last of my favorites still driving, would do. Was so happy to see him about to win, then disaster struck... again! Poor guy has endured more flips and finishes on his roof than probably any other driver. So glad to read last night that he didn't suffer life-threatening injuries and hope he fully recovers. I won't be surprised, though, if this is his last season, if not last race, after that horrific wreck.

From the Daily Mail:

The Indiana native, who graduated with an engineering degree from Purdue, said earlier during Speedweeks he felt renewed in his second year at Roush Fenway Racing.

'It's all about competitiveness and fun,' he said. 'I want to have fun with my life. If I can have fun in this garage doing it and get paid what I feel like I deserve to get paid, then I'm all for it. It's got to be fun and it's got be rewarding in more ways than one.

'I'm doing it past when I said I was going to do it 10 years ago. I don't know how to give the answer anymore, I really don't. I always said 40 and I'm 42 now.'

It wasn't the first crash like this for Newman at Daytona or at another superspeedway, the Talladega track in Alabama. His car went airborne and flipped repeatedly in the 2003 Daytona 500. He landed on his roof in that one and did again at Talladega in 2009.

Newman also announced last week he and his wife had split after 16 years of marriage.

'I feel just renewed in general, the team, the people, the opportunities, the sponsors,' he said.

'All that makes a big difference to me. We've got to perform better.

'Just because we performed better than they had done in the past doesn't mean it's up to my standards and my goals.

'I feel like we need to step it up and that's a big part of me wanting to continue doing what I'm doing.'
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

18. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      02-18-2020 06:52 PM #67
      Newman is talking to doctors apparently.

The fact that there are no other comments about his condition hints about the information embargo that NASCAR has in place. Like someone else commented on, I suspect a spinal injury at the very least which looks bad for the series when it's trying to overhaul its look for the future.

Cars
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2019 Elantra GT N-line
      02-18-2020 08:08 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Newman is talking to doctors apparently.

The fact that there are no other comments about his condition hints about the information embargo that NASCAR has in place. Like someone else commented on, I suspect a spinal injury at the very least which looks bad for the series when it's trying to overhaul its look for the future.

Oh man. Praying for a full recovery.

Cars
      '81 Sportruck, '82 Jetta Diesel
      02-19-2020 11:53 AM #69
      It is this shot here that scares me about his condition, and this is before the car then landed on that side and slid down the track for over a football field.

Look at the collapse of the cage at head height, and think of his entire left side that is basically exposed. That wallop into the wall almost directly nose in reminded me of Earnhardt, thank god for HANS, but that only goes so far in protecting from the whole basilar skull fracture thing. Even the "NASCAR bar" for side intrusion looks pretty compromised, you can see in the slo-mo from the impact with Lajoie, that the entire car springs back into shape after being bent, meaning that safety cell is toast. I am also thinking, from the lack of information that has been provided, that there is a spinal or paralysis component, or crush injuries to his left side or pelvis region.

As for the racing, I don't blame Blaney at all. If you watch, Newman comes aggressively down the track in front of him, already loose on greasy, worn tires, and Newman had to know that Blaney was going to push him, as he had lost momentum in front of Hamlin. I just don't think the car set before Blaney bumped him, and that second little tap was too much. He couldn't even look at the camera after the race, and I felt terrible for him.

If anything should be blamed, the whole "overtime" system is flawed. I know that no fan wants a race to finish under caution, but the "green/white/checker" system is just asking for more big accidents, because the field is too bunched, restart speeds vary, and nobody is willing to give an inch because of the points system and the way it works. Plus, the tires are just getting more worn as they drive around under caution, it is harder to keep them up to temp at night, and fuel loads get lighter. Not to mention all of the quick dry they ran through on the back from the previous incident, and the zombie cars like Logano still dumping fluid trying to "finish" the race.
      DCIVW
      CE.

Cars
      02-19-2020 11:58 AM #70
      Also, Hamlin did not know. He had pulled his radio cable out celebrating. You can see the gigantic change in demeanor come Victory Circle.

Also, while the opening of the fuel tank was on fire, I think all of the gushing fluid wasn't fuel, but rather an oil tank. I would say coolant, but they run water, correct?
      Last edited by dubdaze68; 02-19-2020 at 12:04 PM.
      DCIVW
      CE.

22. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      2019 Audi eTron, 2018 R8 RWS, 2002 Chevy 2500HD, 1988 16v Scirocco
      02-19-2020 12:03 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by dubdaze68 View Post
      I am also thinking, from the lack of information that has been provided, that there is a spinal or paralysis component, or crush injuries to his left side or pelvis region.

e.
      I was thinking about this last night. They very specifically said, non life threatening injuries. They did not say Life Altering Injuries, which leads me to believe, you are on the right thought track (no pun intended)....
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

Cars
      1986 Cabriolet Best Seller; 1990 Vanagon Westfalia; 2016 Golf GTI S
      02-19-2020 12:27 PM #72
      The update we've been waiting for:

https://mobile.twitter.com/roushfenw...73060143161344

Such awesome news! 😁❤️
      Cabby-Info.com -- Your online guide to VW Cabriolets/Rabbit Convertibles
      Old Blue's Blog -- The adventures of a 1990 Westfalia
      "Fashion is a waste of money that could be better spent on, say, maintaining your car." ~James May

Cars
      2005 Corvette Z71, 1998 Corvette
      02-19-2020 12:29 PM #73
      https://mobile.twitter.com/roushfenw...143161344?s=19

Major kudos to the people in charge of safety development in Nascar and also to the fabricators at RFR. The fact that these two girls still have their dad, and he's able to walk around with them less than 48 he's after the incident is incredible.
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Cars
      02-19-2020 12:33 PM #74
      He is holding that left arm oddly. I'm sure he is sore AF.
      DCIVW
      CE.

26. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      02-19-2020 12:37 PM #75
      "I wonder whose body they used for the photochop?"

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast