VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

The OFFICIAL 2020 NASCAR thread. Yep, they still turn left.

49K views 688 replies 72 participants last post by  CaleDeRoo 
#1 ·
I'm sitting here watching the Duel races and realized we have threads for Sportscar racing, Indy, and F1 but nothing for Murrica's greatest carbureted left hand turning stadium of speed.

Let's fix that with a (possibly?) unpopular opinion. I think the #3 should be retired, or at the very least, not run in a Black, Silver, Red livery again. I don't care who owns the car and who's nephew is driving it, it's kind of disrespectful to see it out there.

That being said, growing up a SR and Rusty Wallace fan, I don't have any real attachment to the #2 car anymore, so I may as well cheer Austin Dillon on

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'm sitting here watching the Duel races and realized we have threads for Sportscar racing, Indy, and F1 but nothing for Murrica's greatest carbureted left hand turning stadium of speed.

Let's fix that with a (possibly?) unpopular opinion. I think the #3 should be retired, or at the very least, not run in a Black, Silver, Red livery again. I don't care who owns the car and who's nephew is driving it, it's kind of disrespectful to see it out there.

That being said, growing up a SR and Rusty Wallace fan, I don't have any real attachment to the #2 car anymore, so I may as well cheer Austin Dillon on
But they aren't carbed anymore.

Edit: I do tend to agree with retiring #3, but at the same time #43 isn't retired and still being used by Bubba Wallace, so perhaps it isn't really in NASCAR's interest to retire numbers.

What is the top series called this year anyways?

#11 ·
Glad to see we finally made it to Daytona 500 Sunday once again. Another sign that Spring is getting closer!

Sentimental favorite: Wouldn't mind if Jimmie Johnson rode out into the sunset with a Daytona 500 win.

Not a fan of his particularly, but he's a hellofadriver: Kyle Busch. Probably the best driver in NASCAR today. But don't think he's ever won the Daytona 500, has he? So I am kinda thinking this might be his year to do it.

Looking forward to the racing today.

Joe C.

#12 ·
Glad to see we finally made it to Daytona 500 Sunday once again. Another sign that Spring is getting closer!

Not a fan of his particularly, but he's a hellofadriver: Kyle Busch. Probably the best driver in NASCAR today. But don't think he's ever won the Daytona 500, has he? So I am kinda thinking this might be his year to do it.

Joe C.
Yea buddy! Love the spectacle of Daytona and I've watched every race in the lower series so far. Wonder how much riding around there will be today, but lets go Kyle!

#14 · (Edited)
Hamlin now starting from the back.

#38 ·
Stop. Crashing.

#41 ·
They finally just showed the replay. LaJoie went right through the area of the car where Newman's head would've been. Initially I was like oh man he turned over when he hit the wall but never had any idea he got hit after.

That doesn't look good. Not at all.

#44 ·
Basically felt the exact same. Plus, they were zooming in on the gasoline RUSHING out of the car 2 feet from the fire. The response team was very lackadaisical getting over to it and getting it extinguished.

But nonetheless, this hit is absolutely terrifying....

:(:(:(

#45 ·
I turned off the race assuming he was ok, but this is still unfolding. :(

#47 ·
#48 ·
This **** is why I’m not a NASCAR fan.

Constantly turning each other into the wall, classless celebration when a man’s down and in who knows what kind of condition.

Hope he’s alright, that upper roll cage was pushed in pretty far and quite collapsed.

Not good.

#49 ·
Blaney comes underneath him and hits right where his head should be because he’s upside down. Very scary. Not Blaneys fault obviously.

#56 ·
Lajoie is who hit him. Blaney was pushing him.

NASCAR got what they wanted. Drama, twittytweets, and views. Ryan Newman has always been critical of pack racing, even to the point where he was fined for telling fans not to buy tickets to see it. Let's just hope he is able to get back in a car at some point, although he is near the end of his career.

#51 ·
Some good news...

————
#NASCAR ... Steve O'Donnell reads statement from the team

Ryan Newman is in serious condition but doctors say the injuries are not life threatening
————

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.