Fourtitude.com - JD Power 2020 US Vehicle Dependability Study- Genesis #1, VW nipping at Toyota's heels
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    1. Member
      Cars
      2019 Q5, 2018 Tiguan Allspace
      02-13-2020 08:48 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      I had that same thought, and all of them have the white-glove treatment so minor issues will be overlooked. Toyota sold 23,742 Corollas in Dec. 2019

Our '07 Sonata was flawless for the first three years but suddenly felt like it had 250k miles on it toward the end of year four when everything started failing and feeling old. Meanwhile, my nine-year-old Yaris is still flawless aside from clear coat that's starting to fail on the roof (my fault since I rarely waxed it).

I would place more value in this survey if they track owners' 5- and 10-year ownership experiences. Almost anything's fine for a 3-year lease.
      I think the car industry media isn’t interested in what non-buyers have to say about old products that may have nothing to do with today’s business.

3 years is the sweet spot between “initial quality” and “old enough that it doesn’t really relate to today’s product mix”.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      02-13-2020 08:50 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by Shmi View Post
      Not themostreliablecarever, no, but I just expected to see them at least above average.
      Fair.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      02-13-2020 09:08 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      2 thoughts:

1) easy for Genesis to be that high when they sell like 6 cars a year. Send someone out to give each of the 6 dry cleaner owners that bought them a personal handy and they give top scores

2) Jeep is low but at least they get the hard stuff right like infotainment. If they could just learn to weld their frames and make their rigs steer they’d be all set.
      Lol, look at the apologist. Sorry you're hurt that hyundai makes a vastly better car than your beloved Jeep. Don't get me wrong, I like my jeep too. I only had one problem with it in the first year I've had it---a USB port went bad. The first legit failure we had with our hyundai was 7 years in with 140k miles. And that problem was a power window switch that stopped working.

Our jeep is a lot more fun and has a lot more stuff, but it was also a lot more money than the hyundai.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. 02-13-2020 10:34 PM #29
      JD POWHA. = Pay to play. Those at the top pay more for the honor of being at the top of the list those that pay less are further down the list.
      Consumers don't pay attention to them, everyone knows they're a joke. The only ones that care are manufacturers that pay for the privilege.
      Last edited by focusgroup1; 02-13-2020 at 11:01 PM.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      02-13-2020 10:44 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      Lol, look at the apologist. Sorry you're hurt that hyundai makes a vastly better car than your beloved Jeep. Don't get me wrong, I like my jeep too. I only had one problem with it in the first year I've had it---a USB port went bad. The first legit failure we had with our hyundai was 7 years in with 140k miles. And that problem was a power window switch that stopped working.

Our jeep is a lot more fun and has a lot more stuff, but it was also a lot more money than the hyundai.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Apologist? I was making fun of Jeep for not being able to weld a frame bro.

And Hyundai doesn’t make a “vastly” better car than anyone.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

7. 02-13-2020 10:59 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by focusgroup1 View Post
      JD POWHA. = Pay to play. Those at the top pay more for the honor of being at the top of the list those that pay less are further down the list.
      Consumers don't pay attention to them, everyone knows their a joke. The only ones that care are manufacturers that pay for the privilege.
      Lol. Your statement makes no sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

8. 02-13-2020 11:02 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Nourdmrolnmt View Post
      Lol. Your statement makes no sense.

It does, what doesn't make sense is mfrs playing patty cake with themselves.

9. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      02-14-2020 12:53 AM #33

10. Member
      02-14-2020 01:14 AM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw79 View Post
      I think Toyota/Lexus/Porsche near the top and FCA/JLR at the bottom meets most people's expectations, so there must be some truth in it, no?
      To most, the validity of the findings of JDPower or Consumer Reports is based on whether or not said publication's findings support the individuals' personal biases. Hence why Detroit apologists have detested publications like those for years; purporting them as being anti-American. On the flipside, the pro-Japanese crowd only liked Consumer Reports and JDPower when Japanese stuff were tops. Me, personally, I never had much of a problem with either publication; I don't think they're the gospel, but I don't think they're useless either. Plus, these findings do tend to mirror seeming trends: the Japanese are slipping pretty rapidly, and the South Koreans and Euros have started to up their game tremendously. It's much more of a mixed bag than it was, in say, the 90's when it was the Japanese at the top, and then everyone else beneath them.
      Last edited by TSchuettinger; 02-14-2020 at 01:46 AM.

11. 02-14-2020 01:15 AM #35
      That remix is funny. I bet the folks that run "JD Powah" have heard this and are snickering while they collect millions from the car mfrs.

12. 02-14-2020 01:29 AM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by focusgroup1 View Post
      It does, what doesn't make sense is mfrs playing patty cake with themselves.
      Mfgs wouldn’t pay for something that doesn’t have an ROI.

An ROI is calculated by knowing the impact on their target market.

Sure 5% of the US population knows how this game is played, but 95% don’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stack View Post
      Makes me proud to be an American in some perverse way. **** your terrorist, I've a honey boo boo outside.

Cars
      Lifted G-wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      02-14-2020 08:37 AM #37
      People basing opinions on several-generation-old vehicles are sort of missing the point of these surveys. It does show how little these things impact buyers though, which I guess in interesting. That 4-generation-old Sonata brought up has nothing to do with the quality of a current one, but I doubt that poster will ever buy another Hyundai. On the other hand:

Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      The first legit failure we had with our hyundai was 7 years in with 140k miles. And that problem was a power window switch that stopped working.
      Our 2012 didn't have a failure from new until it went bye-bye at 109k. Partly because of that experience, I'd probably buy a Santa Fe over a Pilot or Highlander, for instance. We bought a Toyota after that Hyundai, but that's because the Toyota was substantially cheaper (and you can tell... the Hyundai was just a nicer, higher-quality vehicle). That said, a low-mile 2015 or 2016 Hyundai Genesis that I test drove felt like it was going to fall apart. Wait, what's the point of these surveys again?

14. Member
      Cars
      02-14-2020 09:27 AM #38
      Don't worry fellas- next year's study will capture the Atlas & Tiguan releases, so VW's score will likely plummet and all will be right in the world for you guys

15. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      02-14-2020 09:29 AM #39
      Don't worry fellas- next year's study will capture the Atlas & Tiguan releases, so VW's score will likely plummet and all will be right in the world for you guys
      Considering a GTI or Jetta would be my pick that doesn't concern me too much.

It'd be nice if they had really turned a corner, but it would be even more surprising!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      2017 Audi A4 Quattro Prestige, 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
      02-14-2020 09:39 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by VarianceVQ View Post
      Incoming reactions:

Bravo, you magnificent bastard
      "Of course that's just my opinion; I could be wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by The Igneous Faction
      Have you ever popped the hood on a powerstroke E350?
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW
      No, I got good grades in school

17. Member
      Cars
      02-14-2020 09:56 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Considering a GTI or Jetta would be my pick that doesn't concern me too much.

It'd be nice if they had really turned a corner, but it would be even more surprising!
      It's a lot about timing on these things for many brands, especially someone like VW. The less newer releases often means a better score.

If you look at the VW 2017 model year, everything was in the middle or end of its generation's life cycle

Mk7 Golf family
      Mk6 Jetta
      NMS Passat
      Mk2 Touareg
      Mk1 Tiguan
      Beetle
      CC

Hence the good score

18. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      02-14-2020 10:30 AM #42
      It's true though. The Atlas & Tiguan both made Consumer Report's top ten most unreliable vehicles. https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...reliable-cars/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12