Fourtitude.com - Money shift (BMW M2 content)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      02-13-2020 04:08 PM #101
      Quote Originally Posted by Baltimoron View Post
      Well it could be done by using a couple of systems but good luck engineering this ****:
      1. Non-rotating clutch disk mounted between the block and flywheel. The overrev disk would engage if the ECU senses an incorrect gear selection or a sudden rise in RPM that would indicate a money shift situation. The tough part would be to fine tune the engagement to slow the motor before it overrevs and not lock the motor and shock the rotating mass
      2. Electronically actuated clutch on the output shaft of the trans that immediately disengages if the incorrect gear is selected or a sudden RPM rise like described in the first situation

Maybe we could get a well-known van based CNC shop to work these plans up.
      3. Automatic transmission

BMW is still not out of the weeds for poorly engineering really basic powertrain components. The last thing they need is a device that can potentially disengage the transmission from the engine at an inopportune moment.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 04:09 PM #102
      Quote Originally Posted by Pushrods View Post
      I follow tour bus dude's lead.

Such large hands you have...
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Cars
      Manual Avant
      02-13-2020 04:47 PM #103

5. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      02-13-2020 04:53 PM #104
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      If he would of clutched out, the whole scenario would have played out much differently than the car just continuing to coast down the highway. He confirms that he didn't clutch out here, but the rest of the thread is a good read.

The other thing is, his car was tuned, so the tune could have removed protections BMW puts in there to prevent this. Until someone tries it on a non-tuned car, we won't know for sure.
      I won't take the guys word for it. He probably feels like a moron for being a flash in the pan internet sensation, so of course the first thing to do is blame the equipment. Remember the M4 at CnC that spun because his tire pressures were off by 2psi? Same thing.

I cannot fathom that a BMW would rev to the moon, well past redline on an autorev match, and I doubt a tuner would put a map in place to give it the info it needs to spin that high. Chances are, clutch came out and there's your mechanical over rev. Software ain't stopping that.

there would be no way the ECU would allow the auto-blip function to try and spin the motor faster than the motor can physically spin. it has no ignition maps, no fueling maps no timing or boost maps to try and spin the motor past redline.

that would be ****ing stupid. it would actually be even more dangerous than a money shift because then just pushing the stick in the wrong place would regularly blow up the engine, never mind letting out the clutch. just a wiggle of the stick while shifting would cause the motor to self-destruct itself.

no, whether he says he did or not, he dropped the clutch.
      Yuuuup. Get this man a beer.

Yeah, as soon as you move the stick into the gate it rev-matches. I don't know about a high pitched sound though if you go into the wrong gear, never heard it with mine.
      Some gearboxes are more vocal than others, but it's common to get a synchro to sing quite a bit if you quickly tug it into a gear while going too fast. IE a 3rd to 2nd in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      What if they fooled you once?
      This aint a Honda thread. Keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pushrods View Post
      I follow tour bus dude's lead.
      I tried the Italian technique but it's not working

Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

6. 02-13-2020 05:01 PM #105
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      Yeah the clutch on that car will still be fine, based on the vid he bent more than a few valves at minimum. You can tell he tried to go back in gear and accelerate and the car wasn't having it. Valve float at those speeds will result in piston impacts QUICK. Usually, in these situations the bottom end will be okay, but the head will be trashed.

Found the old RSX vid

Yep that's the video! lol

My friend thinks he shifted his s2000 at an autocross and it may have seen 13k to 14k rpm...he drove it home parked it for a few months and changed the valve springs and upgraded the retainers to AP2 retainers and the car seems to be running just fine 2 years later. He may have gotten really lucky...

The JDM integra Type R transmission with the 4.7 final drive the 3rd to 4th gear speed drop puts you in some really close situations to overrev the motor at the track, puts you in no man's land speed wise, take the risk downshifting at 75 mph close to the top of 3rd gear or ride it out in 4th.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-13-2020 05:05 PM #106
      Wow, found an alternate angle of the driver from the OP check it out:

8. Member
      02-13-2020 05:31 PM #107
      So what's to stop this guy from finding a tuner to delete the logs of the over-rev situation before towing it to the dealer claiming it blew up and he didn't know what happened?

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-13-2020 05:36 PM #108
      Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
      So what's to stop this guy from ....
      BMW engineers.

e:

+ publicly posted video
      Last edited by EverthingIsTerrible; 02-13-2020 at 05:39 PM.

10. 02-13-2020 05:45 PM #109
      The sounds these money shifts make are the stuff that nightmares are made of...Something that you will never, ever forget, like accidentally stepping on your dog's paw...Oof.
      Last edited by MonsterM; 02-13-2020 at 05:48 PM.

02-13-2020 05:51 PM #110
      In general, Honda's are the best money shifters

12. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      02-13-2020 05:52 PM #111
      Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
      So what's to stop this guy from finding a tuner to delete the logs of the over-rev situation before towing it to the dealer claiming it blew up and he didn't know what happened?
      Can they? I thought overrevs cant be cleared unlike a CEL

13. Member
      Cars
      E91, 06 Outback, 02 2.5RS, two broken CB750s, 2000 Indy 500 XC SP, single speed bike
      02-13-2020 05:52 PM #112
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      accidentally stepping on your dog's paw...Oof.
      Woof.

14. Member
      02-13-2020 06:22 PM #113
      Quote Originally Posted by Jettavr666 View Post
      on a sidenote, he's actually pretty lucky. At that speed, a mis-shift like that could easily disrupt the balance and stability of the car, and no stability control is going to save you at that speed from losing control.
      Which is why it is believable when he says he never clutched out. That whole video was pretty uneventful considering the conditions he was driving in and the speeds he was going.

Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      It's impossible to protect a mechanical overrev from a downshift with electronics.
      If he never he never released the clutch, it wasn't mechanical, which is what the driver claimed happened.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

15. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 06:37 PM #114
      Which is why it is believable when he says he never clutched out. That whole video was pretty uneventful considering the conditions he was driving in and the speeds he was going.
      Engine gave up ghost, no resistance. Doesn't have to be an epic loss of control situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz
      If he never he never released the clutch, it wasn't mechanical, which is what the driver claimed happened.
      There is no way that motor over-revved mechanically without the clutch engaging. None, zero.

Stop believing everything people tell you on the internet.

If my house burns down and you find me with a gas can and a lighter, I say I didn't do it, do you believe me? The guy posted a video of the car very clearly being mechanically over-revved. Software is not going to do that.
      Instagram - efrie004

maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2 | GTI
      02-13-2020 07:06 PM #115
      This is now the shifting thread.

Cars
      17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      02-13-2020 07:28 PM #116
      Good thread is good.

Driving my turd truck home this afternoon, I found myself concentrating on shifting with an emphasis on the thumb down thing SoS posted.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

18. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      02-13-2020 07:45 PM #117
      Consider the possibility of an IG car clout demon lying to save face. He let the clutch out.

19. 02-13-2020 08:32 PM #118
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I tried the Italian technique but it's not working

Eh, molto bene. As long as it looks good.

2017 Chevy SS | 1977 Trans Am
      ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

20. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      02-13-2020 09:23 PM #119
      Quote Originally Posted by kiznarsh View Post
      This is now the shifting thread.

On the way home, to make sure I didn't even get close to money shifting, I did the Cross Legged Monkey Foot. Best part of all is that you can't claim I did anything with the clutch since my left foot is no where near it.

Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Cars
      North American German crap and German German crap
      02-13-2020 09:38 PM #120
      Come into an M2 **** thread, see my last two sticks. Hmmm.
      SS registry owner-emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Vee-Dubber-GLI View Post
      NATORabbitCat5PizzaSand

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2 | GTI
      02-13-2020 09:42 PM #121
      Outstanding

23. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 09:58 PM #122
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      On the way home, to make sure I didn't even get close to money shifting, I did the Cross Legged Monkey Foot. Best part of all is that you can't claim I did anything with the clutch since my left foot is no where near it.

This even made my wife laugh.
      Instagram - efrie004

24. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      02-13-2020 11:00 PM #123
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      This even made my wife laugh.
      “You’re an idiot.”

As said by your wife.

02-13-2020 11:13 PM #124
      I grenaded my motor on my M3 right after I turbo'd it. I was going through a corner wound out in 4th gear with the motor all torqued up, shifted and hit 3rd instead of 5th. Bent a bunch of valves, screwed up the cylinder wall and a bunch of other fun stuff. Cost me a solid 5k to get it back together. Also, this was a common problem.
      All Hail Andy?

26. Member
      Cars
      E46 M3, 90 Series Landcruiser, Kluger
      02-14-2020 12:36 AM #125
      I don't understand how the car didn't compression lock the rear wheels and cause him to spin / crash / roll. Normally an over-rev results in compression lockup, no?

it almost sounds like someone removed the rev limiter, he no-lift-shifted, missed the gear and it revved to death. Reality is that it stayed 'revving' for a long time.

Something doesn't make sense.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast