Fourtitude.com - Money shift (BMW M2 content)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      02-13-2020 11:43 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I cannot imagine that BMW would program an auto rev match that would spin the engine past redline.
      If he would of clutched out, the whole scenario would have played out much differently than the car just continuing to coast down the highway. He confirms that he didn't clutch out here, but the rest of the thread is a good read.

The other thing is, his car was tuned, so the tune could have removed protections BMW puts in there to prevent this. Until someone tries it on a non-tuned car, we won't know for sure.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      #81 SM 1.6
      02-13-2020 11:58 AM #52
      there would be no way the ECU would allow the auto-blip function to try and spin the motor faster than the motor can physically spin. it has no ignition maps, no fueling maps no timing or boost maps to try and spin the motor past redline.

that would be ****ing stupid. it would actually be even more dangerous than a money shift because then just pushing the stick in the wrong place would regularly blow up the engine, never mind letting out the clutch. just a wiggle of the stick while shifting would cause the motor to self-destruct itself.

no, whether he says he did or not, he dropped the clutch.
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Sounds great. Maybe I'm just a fascist and didn't know it.. I don't know if I even care anymore.

02-13-2020 12:00 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      If he would of clutched out, the whole scenario would have played out much differently than the car just continuing to coast down the highway. He confirms that he didn't clutch out here, but the rest of the thread is a good read.

The other thing is, his car was tuned, so the tune could have removed protections BMW puts in there to prevent this. Until someone tries it on a non-tuned car, we won't know for sure.
      I also heard that the rev-matching happens in all drive modes, except DSC-off. The rev matching will start once you pull into a gear (still clutched in). When you are at risk of doing a money shift then there will be a high pitched wail where everyone in their right mind would quickly switch back to neutral or keep the clutch in.

I didn't hear such a wail in this vid. Anyway, the guy who was explaining about the DSC-off seemed to imply that was what was at play here. Guy apparently sought to get the engine replaced under warranty, though BMW basically told him they don't cover driver error, only manufacturing defects.

Or some such.
      Current: 2019 BMW X3
      Past: 2015 Lexus CT200h, 2008 Mazda MX-5, 2006 Opel Vectra, 1999 Renault Safrane, 1998 Golf Mk IV, 1985 Golf Mk II
      Gasoline | Hybrid | Diesel

5. Member
      02-13-2020 12:10 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
      I also heard that the rev-matching happens in all drive modes, except DSC-off. The rev matching will start once you pull into a gear (still clutched in). When you are at risk of doing a money shift then there will be a high pitched wail where everyone in their right mind would quickly switch back to neutral or keep the clutch in.
      Yeah, as soon as you move the stick into the gate it rev-matches. I don't know about a high pitched sound though if you go into the wrong gear, never heard it with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zembla View Post
      I didn't hear such a wail in this vid. Anyway, the guy who was explaining about the DSC-off seemed to imply that was what was at play here. Guy apparently sought to get the engine replaced under warranty, though BMW basically told him they don't cover driver error, only manufacturing defects.

Or some such.
      If you look at his gauge cluster, DSC wasn't off. But that is the only way to turn off the rev match feature without coding it out completely which also turns off the stall prevention feature and you have to press the start button twice.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-13-2020 12:23 PM #55
      here, but the rest of the thread is a good read.
      lmao, this is awesome. His instagram is m2_skyblue and is filled with **** like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3xG4ARo..._web_copy_link

lol jus cruisin on the highway at 6500 rpm #savethemanuals

hahaha

Last edited by EverthingIsTerrible; 02-13-2020 at 12:28 PM.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-13-2020 12:29 PM #56
      Guy takes more pictures while going over 100 mph more than any one I know, so irresponsible. He pretty much got what he deserved.

8. Member
      Cars
      MK7 GTI
      02-13-2020 12:33 PM #57
      I cannot imagine that BMW would program an auto rev match that would spin the engine past redline.
      For sure.

Redlines are fine, fuel cuts are fine, but a mechanical overrun like this gives no ****s about any of it.

9. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 12:37 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by EverthingIsTerrible View Post
      lmao, this is awesome. His instagram is m2_skyblue and is filled with **** like this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3xG4ARo..._web_copy_link

lol jus cruisin on the highway at 6500 rpm #savethemanuals

hahaha

Do it for the grams.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      02-13-2020 12:38 PM #59
      Yeah I'm going with there's no way the dude didn't let off the clutch. Either that or his tuner is an imbecile, but I highly suspect the former.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-13-2020 12:41 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Do it for the grams.
      The best part is all his posts are hashtagged #savethemanuals and that is literally what killed his car because he sucks at driving. Bet his next car has a ZF8

Cars
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      02-13-2020 12:59 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      I money shifted a rental race car at the Nuburgring just before Schwedenkreuz. I was right at redline in 4th and went for 5th... I got 3rd. I didn't even let the clutch all the way out before I heard an awful noise. Clutched in right away, but the head was already toast. In my defense, it was a car I had never driven and had a super notchy short shifter. No resistance from the sychros at all- went into 3rd like butter. The rental company told me I was the 3rd person to money shift that car

Expensive, but memorable. I still have a bent valve as a souvenir.
      I would like to hear more about this.
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

Cars
      Manual Avant
      02-13-2020 01:16 PM #62
      i money shifted my spec car on track. top of third, into 2nd instead of 4th. engine spun up over 10krpm (based on where i saw the needle), and it seemed fine ... 2 laps later it dropped a valve. failed retainer.

so, i had the head repaired, sanded the dent in the piston flat, and ran the engine for another season. cost me about 500 bucks total
      Yeah the clutch on that car will still be fine, based on the vid he bent more than a few valves at minimum. You can tell he tried to go back in gear and accelerate and the car wasn't having it. Valve float at those speeds will result in piston impacts QUICK. Usually, in these situations the bottom end will be okay, but the head will be trashed.

Found the old RSX vid

Cars
      2019 Shelby GT350, 1988 Porsche 944 Turbo
      02-13-2020 01:20 PM #63
      Guy takes more pictures while going over 100 mph more than any one I know, so irresponsible. He pretty much got what he deserved.
      He's on an unrestricted stretch of autobahn. It is perfectly legal to do these speeds. You can see the unrestricted icon in the dash next to his speed in kmph.

On another note...an S55 crate engine is nearly $27k from BMW without installation. It could be a VERY expensive mistake.
      We don't need a thread every time you decide to care about something.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-13-2020 01:27 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by G_RockNYTN View Post
      He's on an unrestricted stretch of autobahn. It is perfectly legal to do these speeds. You can see the unrestricted icon in the dash next to his speed in kmph.
      I know hes on the autobahn, how is that an excuse to take dozens of photos and videos while doing 175 mph? I dont care where he is, it is irresponsible to do those speeds with one hand on the wheel and the other trying to hold a phone steady.

Cant believe you would even try to defende such nonsense

16. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      02-13-2020 01:32 PM #65
      What if they fooled you once?
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

17. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      02-13-2020 01:33 PM #66
      dunno man. any time I have ever shifted improperly the loud and jarring feeling of grinding the gears has immediately clued me in to whatever im doing is wrong so its pretty crazy the dude just forces his way right through that.
      cause you drive a ****ty VW with crappy syncro's with 1st and 2nd gear being notchy AF

I take it youve never done a track day? When pushing it hard, it's totally possible to accidentally put it in 2nd instead of 4th or any other combo. Heck I once put my car in 1st when I wanted to go into 3rd while cruising and just spacing out. Luckily I caught it and depressed the clutch immediately.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-13-2020 01:35 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      cause you drive a ****ty VW with crappy syncro's with 1st and 2nd gear being notchy AF
      True

I take it youve never done a track day? When pushing it hard,
      Lemme stop ya right there hoss, this dude was on the highway not the track.

19. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 01:36 PM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by G_RockNYTN View Post

On another note...an S55 crate engine is nearly $27k from BMW without installation. It could be a VERY expensive mistake.
      The speed isn't the problem.
      Instagram - efrie004

maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

20. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      02-13-2020 01:38 PM #69
      True

Lemme stop ya right there hoss, this dude was on the highway not the track.
      My point is when driving "hard" its totally plausible to accidentally money shift, whether it be a canyon road, highway run or track day.

Manuals arent dying, people are just killing them

Cars
      Manual Avant
      02-13-2020 01:38 PM #70
      on a sidenote, he's actually pretty lucky. At that speed, a mis-shift like that could easily disrupt the balance and stability of the car, and no stability control is going to save you at that speed from losing control.

22. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      02-13-2020 01:40 PM #71

It's impossible to protect a mechanical overrev from a downshift with electronics.

23. Just Milking my Carrot in the Honda break room. Metallitubby's Avatar
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      02-13-2020 01:41 PM #72
      Engine Breaking 101
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

24. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      02-13-2020 01:41 PM #73
      I know hes on the autobahn, how is that an excuse to take dozens of photos and videos while doing 175 mph? I dont care where he is, it is irresponsible to do those speeds with one hand on the wheel and the other trying to hold a phone steady.

Cant believe you would even try to defende such nonsense
      Are you talking about a different video? The one in the OP was clearly taken by a passenger. How are you so consistently bad at this?

25. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      02-13-2020 01:42 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      It's impossible to protect a mechanical overrev from a downshift with electronics.
      if an auto transmission can prevent you from overreving surely there has to be a way the computer can sense that a gear change below "x" would cause overrun and block engagement of that gear?

Cars
      Manual Avant
      02-13-2020 01:43 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I mean in theory it would be possible to make a mechanical/electronic lockout of certain gears. That's exactly what GM's skip shift "feature" does, and in this case, a feature like that would have prevented the gear from being engaged at that speed.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast