Fourtitude.com - Money shift (BMW M2 content)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
      02-12-2020 09:13 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by SebTheDJ View Post
      b. why doesn't bmw have something to prevent something like that?
      They do

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      02-12-2020 09:19 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by EverthingIsTerrible View Post
      dunno man. any time I have ever shifted improperly the loud and jarring feeling of grinding the gears has immediately clued me in to whatever im doing is wrong so its pretty crazy the dude just forces his way right through that.

Yeah, sometimes I **** up (maybe grind once a month) or stall embarrassingly (driving my stick car for over 9 years) but I have never pulled something like the guy in the video. ****, a lot of times I don't use the clutch at all.

02-12-2020 09:19 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      It's more like this:

Most likely a tour guide driving over this bridge to the Canadian side.

5. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      02-12-2020 09:29 PM #29
      dunno man. any time I have ever shifted improperly the loud and jarring feeling of grinding the gears has immediately clued me in to whatever im doing is wrong so its pretty crazy the dude just forces his way right through that.
      Yeah; dude was shifting hard and never had a chance to back off. Not a farm tractor; let the synchro do it's work and it'll give you feedback. Even when 1st isn't quite lined up I can feel it. I definitely sympathize with him though...apparently new car, on the autobahn, etc., adrenaline is normal and whatever damage was done is going to really stink.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-12-2020 09:30 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      Most likely a tour guide driving over this bridge to the Canadian side.
      Wait is this your first time seeing this? Cuz there is a much longer video of it. Its riveting.

7. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-12-2020 09:31 PM #31
      I found a vid of you shifting

Quote Originally Posted by SebTheDJ View Post
      Yeah, sometimes I **** up (maybe grind once a month) or stall embarrassingly (driving my stick car for over 9 years) but I have never pulled something like the guy in the video. ****, a lot of times I don't use the clutch at all.
      How often do the two of you drive hard?

I've never made a money shift, but I got very close once, and decided to change up the way I shift. When you're driving hard, whether at the track or god forbid, on a public road, everything is happening very fast, and mistakes can happen.

Pull down towards you for second, push up and away with palm for third, thumb down pinky up pull/push for fourth, palm out push up and away for fifth, repeat same motion as fourth for sixth. Accidents can still happen, but it's waaaaay harder.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-12-2020 09:42 PM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Pull down towards you for second, push up and away with palm for third, thumb down pinky up pull/push for fourth, palm out push up and away for fifth, repeat same motion as fourth for sixth. Accidents can still happen, but it's waaaaay harder.
      Interesting. This is how I shift:

9. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-12-2020 10:00 PM #33
      Interesting. This is how I shift:

Complicated, yet effective.
      Instagram - efrie004

maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

10. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      02-12-2020 10:34 PM #34
      Complicated, yet effective.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Cars
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      02-12-2020 10:36 PM #35

I've never made a money shift, but I got very close once, and decided to change up the way I shift. When you're driving hard, whether at the track or god forbid, on a public road, everything is happening very fast, and mistakes can happen.

I have few times, but I rarely do it now since I have 181k miles on the odo

Cars
      17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      02-12-2020 10:41 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by MonsterM View Post
      Watching that on YouTube for maximum pixels: tach is pegged.

and this was after the lurch forward.

Ooof that video is rough. When I shift from 3rd to 4th, I move my hand so that my thumb is down and my pinky is up, palm on the side of the shifter, so when I pull back quickly any mistake will get me 6th instead of 2nd.
      Vid does not show the shift hand. But point taken.

Come close a few times, but I'm no track monkey.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

13. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      02-12-2020 10:48 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by S1ack View Post
      Vid does not show the shift hand. But point taken.

Come close a few times, but I'm no track monkey.
      I learned my lesson at 19 in my friends 350Z. Went to grab 4th, heard the synchro complain but it slotted into gear just fine, so I put it back into neutral. Learned from one of the guys from M5Board to do this, and 17 years later I've never done it again. Had I dropped the clutch I would have popped the engine for sure with the means of a college kid to fix it.

It's a little uncomfortable at first, but once it's muscle memory it helps fix an expensive potential mistake.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-12-2020 11:06 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by S1ack View Post
      Watching that on YouTube for maximum pixels: tach is pegged.
      So at least 8500 rpm.

15. Member
      Cars
      09 370Z, 18 Terrain
      02-12-2020 11:18 PM #39
      I had a pretty bad mechanical over rev in a old Scion tC I once had. 3rd to 4th, no lift shifted and found 2nd, came out of clutch enough to hear the zing of that poor engine going way beyond its rev range. Clutched it fast but saw tach read somewhere around 8000-8300rpm during the chaos. I drove the car for a few more months with no real issues but ended up trading it off for other reasons. I'll never forget, I was riding high that day, I had just scored a really good job that day after being laid off from my previous job of 7.5 years and was riding to meet a friend for lunch. I shat bricks for the rest of the day thinking the car was toast, but alas it held together.

Cars
      E39 M5 | 987.2 | GTI
      02-12-2020 11:22 PM #40
      I learned my lesson at 19 in my friends 350Z. Went to grab 4th, heard the synchro complain but it slotted into gear just fine, so I put it back into neutral. Learned from one of the guys from M5Board to do this, and 17 years later I've never done it again. Had I dropped the clutch I would have popped the engine for sure with the means of a college kid to fix it.

It's a little uncomfortable at first, but once it's muscle memory it helps fix an expensive potential mistake.
      67 degrees, eh? That's cool.

17. Member
      Cars
      2019 Golf R
      02-13-2020 12:20 AM #41
      Working on my stretches for shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Member
      Cars
      2005 Acura TSX
      02-13-2020 12:45 AM #42
      If anyone can extract the audio of that video clip as WAV, I can run some analysis and find out exactly what RPM it revved to.

19. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 12:56 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by CRD99 View Post
      Working on my stretches for shifting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      To be totally honest it’s not a big deal. And now it’s so natural I do it in daily driving as well. It’s just second nature.
      Instagram - efrie004

20. Member
      02-13-2020 01:05 AM #44

So I did an opposite sort of thing and thank god not catastrophic shift at my last autocross event a couple of weeks ago in the Miata....coming out of a tight 180 I decided to try going into 1st instead of rolling through staying in second. So yeah, hard turn, grab first, go to 7K RPM, grab second ....and the car goes nuts, TC light is on, engine light is on, all power is gone, so I panic and shut her down. Turns out, I went from first to 4th under hard power LOL...the car didn't like that AT ALL, but everything turned out ok after I cranked her back up, and CEL cleared. I think it might have had a small mis-fire or something causing the CEL. I freaked the hell out though.
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

21. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it
      02-13-2020 09:32 AM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
      Ooof.

I've (almost) done this maybe two or three times since the '90s. Fortunately each car had slow-ish synchros that wouldn't allow this kind of thing without a little warning, like "are you sure you want to press through this resistance?"
      This. Every manual trans car I've owned has required shifting in two distinct motions, pulling the car out of gear, and putting it into the next gear.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      02-13-2020 09:41 AM #46
      I money shifted a rental race car at the Nuburgring just before Schwedenkreuz. I was right at redline in 4th and went for 5th... I got 3rd. I didn't even let the clutch all the way out before I heard an awful noise. Clutched in right away, but the head was already toast. In my defense, it was a car I had never driven and had a super notchy short shifter. No resistance from the sychros at all- went into 3rd like butter. The rental company told me I was the 3rd person to money shift that car

Expensive, but memorable. I still have a bent valve as a souvenir.

Cars
      mk6 CW GTI, Mitsu Outlander Sport, sold - mk4 futura GTI
      02-13-2020 09:59 AM #47
      i had to look up "money shift". now it's got me paranoid, and that's all I'm going to think about the next time I drive. #ThanksObama
      Last edited by col.mustard; 02-13-2020 at 10:06 AM.
      praise the lowered
      ¡save manuel!

Originally Posted by George Bluth >>
      It's so obnoxious when VW Golf/Jetta owners comment

24. Member
      02-13-2020 11:31 AM #48
      The thing that really sucks about this is he didn't even clutch out. What caused the over rev was the rev match feature, as soon as he got it in the wrong gear, it tried to match the engine speed in the too low of a gear to the actual vehicle speed and boom.
      19 Mini Cooper S Countryman ALL4 6MT JCW Tuning Kit
      18 BMW X3 M40i
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*

25. Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Cars
      LS3 Malibu, Mid Engined Camry
      02-13-2020 11:34 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      The thing that really sucks about this is he didn't even clutch out. What caused the over rev was the rev match feature, as soon as he got it in the wrong gear, it tried to match the engine speed in the too low of a gear to the actual vehicle speed and boom.
      I cannot imagine that BMW would program an auto rev match that would spin the engine past redline.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen. #TeamAkane. Donate to help a wonderful family kick cancers ass
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillie Phanatic
      SoS - please shoot a message when Brendan & His Retarded Sycophants has another gig. I’ll be there, front row.

26. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 11:42 AM #50
      I cannot imagine that BMW would program an auto rev match that would spin the engine past redline.
      Same.
      Instagram - efrie004

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast