Fourtitude.com - Automatic high beams....is this a new trend?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Cars
      '16 F150 5.0 S/C, '18 Honda Goldwing, '18 CX-5
      02-13-2020 04:09 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by LT1M21Stingray View Post
      On another car of mine, and the truck too, I just have to tap my left foot a bit.
      Wondering how many here wouldn't even know what that is these days, lol.

We can add that to list with rotary phones, TVs with tubes, 8 track tapes, and (very soon) spare tires.
      '16 F150 5.0 S/C, '18 Honda Goldwing

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-13-2020 04:18 PM #52
      On another car of mine, and the truck too, I just have to tap my left foot a bit.
      I remember these. The trucks my dad had when I started driving had the brights on the floor.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

4. Member
      Cars
      17 CX-5 GT, 11 Durango Hemi, 07 Airstream
      02-13-2020 04:37 PM #53
      I expected the superhuman drivers in TCL to bitch about these as being an insult to their cunning intellect, remarkable athleticism, and impeccable grooming. Glad I wasn't let down.

I have them in both my 2017 CX-5 and my 2011 Durango; they work better in the CX-5 (as does almost everything else), but they work decently in the Durango. I use them, especially on dark highways; they usually "see" approaching cars as soon as I do.

It's really easy to turn them off; you just move the stalk. Seems like that Corolla driver didn't know how their car works.

These systems exist because a lot of research (not internet griping) found that people grossly underuse their high beams. Using high beams provides markedly better viewing distance, which increases safety, especially given that you can easily outdrive the distance of many low beam headlights at 60 mph.

Cars
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      02-13-2020 05:05 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by johntesi View Post
      My '20 Outback I just ditched had every automatic system/driver's aid known to man, and I found the implementation of all of them was mediocre at best. First car I've had with that stuff, and I will be avoiding it for a while until they get much better.

The Lane Keep Assist almost off-ed me multiple times like that poor guy in the Tesla in Silicon Valley. The auto high beams couldn't handle reflective road signs and the common courtesy habits of drivers on extremely rural/high-speed two-lanes. The Lane Departure Warning chimed if you so much as looked at a stripe on the road. Even with two hands on the wheel the car frequently muted the radio and yelled at me to "Keep hands on steering wheel!!!"

The amount of times that car swerved/jerked/braked too hard/flashed lights at people got obscene. If an officer ever pulled me over I would know exactly why, too. Not to mention the LED headlights were aimed too high from the factory, I got flashed by 90% of cars on two-lane highways at night even though I'm obsessively courteous with light etiquette and the car had auto high beams. Sure, you can take your brand new car apart and re-aim them, but Subaru denied that this was an issue.

Honestly, one of the nicest/highest tech cars I've ever been in. But the tech was too much for me.
      Why did you already “ditched” a brand new ‘20 Outback?

6. Senior Member LT1M21Stingray's Avatar
      Cars
      SR71 C30 t53a/b/b
      02-13-2020 05:19 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by someguy123 View Post
      Why did you already “ditched” a brand new ‘20 Outback?
      Repo man.
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk1Madness
      Back when making your car faster and better handling was the big thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Tavarish
      The car's best safety feature includes ejecting you in the moment of impact and wishing you the best of luck.
      Buy my couch!

7. Member
      Cars
      2015 Volvo V60 T6 R-Design
      02-13-2020 05:25 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by DubyaV View Post
      Same for my Volvo.
      I think my Volvo has them as well, not yet tried them though to see how well they work. Only had the car a month so far, still figuring out various things that it has.

Cars
      MIL Machine
      02-13-2020 05:29 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Both my 2011 X5 and Model 3 have auto high beams. I don't use them, because I'm a control freak.

HOWEVER, the X5 system works stunningly well -- I don't know how it differentiates taillights from (say) traffic lights, but it's amazing, and responsive. I know this, because the system is infuriatingly difficult to use. When you flip the high beam switch forward, half the time it goes on high beams, the other half it goes on AUTO high beams. That is to say, it seems like *every OTHER* actuation of the high beams turns auto vs standard high beams. Who on planet earth would want this to be the behavior?

I turned off auto high beams in idrive. but it seems to me like it's the worst of both worlds to have the high beam switch toggle one mode half the time and the other mode the other half. I feel like I MUST be misunderstanding how it works but i drove with it like this for months and could never figure out why it alternated modes.
      Can't speak for BMW's, but I can second the thought that these work very well as far as the vehicles I've driven.
      These used to get super confused with reflective objects and such several years ago, but a lot of the newer models with auto high's rolling out seem to have straightened out all the niggles.
      Your favorite Ziemniak, hold the gravy.

9. Member
      Cars
      2007 Porsche Cayman 5MT; 2009 VW Passat Highline Wagon 6MT; 2017 VW Golf R 6MT Tech Pack
      02-13-2020 05:33 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      I remember these. The trucks my dad had when I started driving had the brights on the floor.
      And they always rusted out and were inoperable by the end of each winter. Stalks are a much better option.
      Quote Originally Posted by 20aeman View Post
      No, the real enthusiast vehicle would be the RX8. It combines V12 Lamborghini gas mileage with Hyundai Genesis 4cyl. performance.

10. Member
      Cars
      REALLY gave up and bought an Outback
      02-13-2020 05:47 PM #59
      Repo man.
      QFT.

Cars
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
      02-13-2020 05:48 PM #60
      My '20 Outback I just ditched had every automatic system/driver's aid known to man, and I found the implementation of all of them was mediocre at best. First car I've had with that stuff, and I will be avoiding it for a while until they get much better.

The Lane Keep Assist almost off-ed me multiple times like that poor guy in the Tesla in Silicon Valley. The auto high beams couldn't handle reflective road signs and the common courtesy habits of drivers on extremely rural/high-speed two-lanes. The Lane Departure Warning chimed if you so much as looked at a stripe on the road. Even with two hands on the wheel the car frequently muted the radio and yelled at me to "Keep hands on steering wheel!!!"

The amount of times that car swerved/jerked/braked too hard/flashed lights at people got obscene. If an officer ever pulled me over I would know exactly why, too. Not to mention the LED headlights were aimed too high from the factory, I got flashed by 90% of cars on two-lane highways at night even though I'm obsessively courteous with light etiquette and the car had auto high beams. Sure, you can take your brand new car apart and re-aim them, but Subaru denied that this was an issue.

Honestly, one of the nicest/highest tech cars I've ever been in. But the tech was too much for me.
      It is​ an Outback. That sort of behavior is expected from Outback drivers.

02-13-2020 05:52 PM #61
      They’re intended to reduce driver workload and increase use of high beams when warranted by conditions. Sad that so many people are unaware of how to operate basic functions in their automobile, OP included. RTFM!

13. 02-13-2020 06:24 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Imagine having to move your left hand three inches to push a stalk forward... Crazy
      Actually, I welcome a well designed (meaning it has to make few or no mistakes) automatic high beam system as required equipment not for the purpose of turning them on but for turning them OFF.

All too often I am blinded in city or rush hour traffic by drivers who are driving with their high beams on either through ignorance/unawareness, compensating for weathered headlamps that have dimmed the low beams to confidence-shaking levels, or drivers simply using the highs as substitute lamps for a blown-out low beam.

Having a system to extinguish them in the proximity of another vehicle would be just fine by me.

I hate unnecessary electronic nannies, but drivers today have proven themselves time and time again as largely unworthy to operate a motor vehicle properly. Until that changes or their bad behavior is punished via a citation for improper use of headlamps, I'm going to have to support the use of e-nannies to override them.

Cars
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      02-13-2020 07:47 PM #63

Are you back in a 4runner like you should be?

Cars
      '94 Miata - '16 RAV4 - '10 Prius
      02-13-2020 08:31 PM #64
      We need a thread update John. Your insta has been suspiciously car-less.

Ps. Say hi to Hank!

Cars
      Lifted G-wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      02-13-2020 09:49 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      These systems exist because a lot of research (not internet griping) found that people grossly underuse their high beams. Using high beams provides markedly better viewing distance, which increases safety, especially given that you can easily outdrive the distance of many low beam headlights at 60 mph.
      I'll buy that. I hardly ever use high beams, and the low beams on a lot of cars are awful. I don't use them partly because it's unrealistic in suburban driving (even with easy-to-enable/disable Toyota auto high beams) and partly because I just forget.

What they need next is auto headlights that aren't too easy to turn off. Like, say, in our Toyota. It needs a stronger detent or something before the "off" position.

Side note - my current car has three different styles of illumination: LED fog lights, HID low beams, halogen high beams. It's sort of weird. Fitting.

17. 02-13-2020 10:26 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      It's just one more building block in the road to fully automated vehicles. They don't work perfectly now according to everyone's personal preference. But then again, neither do human drivers.
      Mfrs will build them, whether customers want them or not? Yes, that seems to be the attitude same as EVs.

Now about that so called "free market".

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      02-13-2020 10:35 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Imagine having to move your left hand three inches to push a stalk forward... Crazy
      That's the problem, so many people have no idea that this stalk can be pulled back. So they end up driving with their high beams on every time they switch on their headlights.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

02-14-2020 12:05 AM #68
      Quote Originally Posted by focusgroup1 View Post
      Mfrs will build them, whether customers want them or not? Yes, that seems to be the attitude same as EVs.

Now about that so called "free market".
      Most people don’t know what they want until you make some thing to show them. Automation is coming because that is the next technological frontier and those who master it will make many billions of dollars and those who don’t will largely cease to exist. BEVs are coming mostly because of the moral imperative to move away from fossil fuels. They’re likely to be cheaper and more reliable is a bonus. They’re also easier to integrate with driving automation systems.

Cars
      '01 GTI VR6, '98 XJ Cherokee 4.0, '04 Mazda 3
      02-14-2020 12:18 AM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      Actually, I welcome a well designed (meaning it has to make few or no mistakes) automatic high beam system as required equipment not for the purpose of turning them on but for turning them OFF.

All too often I am blinded in city or rush hour traffic by drivers who are driving with their high beams on either through ignorance/unawareness, compensating for weathered headlamps that have dimmed the low beams to confidence-shaking levels, or drivers simply using the highs as substitute lamps for a blown-out low beam.

Having a system to extinguish them in the proximity of another vehicle would be just fine by me.

I hate unnecessary electronic nannies, but drivers today have proven themselves time and time again as largely unworthy to operate a motor vehicle properly. Until that changes or their bad behavior is punished via a citation for improper use of headlamps, I'm going to have to support the use of e-nannies to override them.
      Almost as annoying as the people who drive around at night with NO lights on at all. Even in the rain.

21. 02-14-2020 01:09 AM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      Most people don’t know what they want until you make some thing to show them. Automation is coming because that is the next technological frontier and those who master it will make many billions of dollars and those who don’t will largely cease to exist. BEVs are coming mostly because of the moral imperative to move away from fossil fuels. They’re likely to be cheaper and more reliable is a bonus. They’re also easier to integrate with driving automation systems.
      That sounds like a frightening and miserable world. I hope you are wrong.

Cars
      2019 BMW M550i
      02-14-2020 07:07 AM #71
      Auto high beams are great if they're similar to the way my car handles them adaptively. They cut out the portion of the beam when they sense a vehicle within the beam pattern. However it had to be coded to work since US regulations adjust maybe 20 or 30 years after the fact.
      Previous cars: 2016 VW GTI PP - 2015 VW GTI - 2004 VW R32 - 2001 Subaru Legacy B4 STI - 1997 Nissan 180SX Type-X
      My Flickr

23. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Cars
      GTI Sport 6M
      02-14-2020 07:25 AM #72
      Not automatic headlights but

I've notice a trend with recent late model BMWs the past few weeks. Even during the day it seems like both the inner and outer headlights are on regardless of time of day. I'm pretty sure the owners don't have the brights on because the lights are not blinding.

The cars/suvs are 2019 or 2020 models. Maybe this has been going on for a while but I just noticed it.

Sort of strange

Cars
      2019 BMW M550i
      02-14-2020 07:33 AM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Just Another Sweater View Post
      Not automatic headlights but

I've notice a trend with recent late model BMWs the past few weeks. Even during the day it seems like both the inner and outer headlights are on regardless of time of day. I'm pretty sure the owners don't have the brights on because the lights are not blinding.

The cars/suvs are 2019 or 2020 models. Maybe this has been going on for a while but I just noticed it.

Sort of strange
      This is normal now and doesn't mean that the brights are on as I thought something was wrong when my inner lights didn't turn off. Not sure exactly what they do but I think they just increase the intensity/output when you turn the brights on.
      Previous cars: 2016 VW GTI PP - 2015 VW GTI - 2004 VW R32 - 2001 Subaru Legacy B4 STI - 1997 Nissan 180SX Type-X
      My Flickr

25. You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can you? Just Another Sweater's Avatar
      Cars
      GTI Sport 6M
      02-14-2020 07:55 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by mach250 View Post
      This is normal now and doesn't mean that the brights are on as I thought something was wrong when my inner lights didn't turn off. Not sure exactly what they do but I think they just increase the intensity/output when you turn the brights on.
      Thanks for the clarification.

My natural reaction is to flash my brights when seeing something like this. It makes me feel better that I didn't overreact this time.

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      02-14-2020 08:50 AM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
      These systems exist because a lot of research (not internet griping) found that people grossly underuse their high beams. .
      With the urbanization of America, I find this conclusion to be absolute BS.
      The ONLY time I need my high beams in a metropolitan area littered with streetlights is when I'm flashing some nitwit who has had their own high beams on since last November.

Rural drivers are pretty good at turning on their high beams when conditions warrant, and are much better at turning them off all by themselves.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 205k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 120k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast