Fourtitude.com - Self service gas pumps could be coming to an end in Illinois for no good reason
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      02-11-2020 06:00 PM #1
      I don't understand the reasoning behind this bill https://www.pjstar.com/news/20200211...ps-in-illinois And I have serious doubts it will pass. Long ago when self service pumps were rare, I worked @ a Texaco pumping gas too. I can't say I was on a first name basis with any of the the customers then too but it was right off of I-94 so it attracted plenty of people from all over the place unlike the fictional gas station @ Mayberry RFD.

Last edited by antilock; 02-11-2020 at 06:02 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      8 Fords, 1 Chevy and 1 VW
      02-11-2020 06:08 PM #2
      When I first moved to New Jersey (for school. absolutely no other reason to be there) I was shocked that I could not pump my own gas and was reprimanded many times before it finally stuck. I hated it and was ever nervous that I wasn't actually going to get the grade my car required.
      "keep it between the mayonnaise and mustard"

ford x8 (mustang x4, thunderbird, lightning, svt focus, fiesta st)
      chevy x1 (2500hd)
      vw x1 (atlas cross sport) "I bought it"

4. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      16v I4, Twin Turbo Charged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      02-11-2020 06:19 PM #3
      If my price doesnt go up to cover the additional costs of having a human being standing there, I am all about this.
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

5. 02-11-2020 06:22 PM #4
      Do you guys have e85 stations near the Wisconsin border? Sorry for the ot question

Cars
      90 VW Corrado, 02 Audi allroad, 03 VW GTI 20TH, 96 BMW 318ti, 17 JKU, 16 eGolf
      02-11-2020 06:23 PM #5

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      02-11-2020 06:24 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Smooremin View Post
      If my price doesnt go up to cover the additional costs of having a human being standing there, I am all about this.
      Good luck with that

8. Member
      Cars
      02-11-2020 06:35 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by burgerbob View Post
      When I first moved to New Jersey (for school. absolutely no other reason to be there) I was shocked that I could not pump my own gas and was reprimanded many times before it finally stuck. I hated it and was ever nervous that I wasn't actually going to get the grade my car required.
      I heard that New Jersey is the only state in the country now, that doesn't have self serve pumps. I'm not surprised to see Illinois is imitating New Jersey then since New Jersey already has the highest real estate taxes in the country while Illinois is #2 https://patch.com/new-jersey/ridgewo...highest-nation

9. 02-11-2020 06:37 PM #8
      The single reason why we avoid driving through Oregon or NJ without stopping at their borders and filling up first is because I don't want some goddamn I-don't-care kid touching my car. Ever. No, the gas stations won't go broke because I'm buying my gas out-of-state. But it does color how many times we visit those states in our many travels... And our opinion of the people who put up with such stupidity in those states. There, I said it...

Cars
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      02-11-2020 06:39 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by boogetyboogety View Post
      The single reason why we avoid driving through Oregon or NJ without stopping at their borders and filling up first is because I don't want some goddamn I-don't-care kid touching my car. Ever. No, the gas stations won't go broke because I'm buying my gas out-of-state. But it does color how many times we visit those states in our many travels... And our opinion of the people who put up with such stupidity in those states. There, I said it...
      Good chance you're only concerned with one of those states for any routine driving, and in the other you'd have a rental car soooo
      call it potatography

Cars
      1988 Trans Am
      02-11-2020 06:40 PM #10
      The whole reason I pre pay at the pump is so I don't have to talk to or deal with people inside the gas station.

12. Member
      Cars
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      02-11-2020 06:43 PM #11
      Lilly, a 10-year House veteran who usually maintains a low profile in Springfield, is amazed at the amount and severity of online in-her-face screaming. The firestorm is not quite as bad as if she’d suggested prohibiting puppies and sunshine, but it’s close.
      Keynes loses for a change.
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Here we can all drive like Colin McRae in his prime, earn $25k a month and bang super models. We can also text and drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You only live once, and you can file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy every 8 years.

13. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      02-11-2020 06:43 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      Good luck with that
      Honestly, if its hot, or cold out, its worth 10 cents a gallon to me to not get out.

Also, what if they put the wrong octane in my car? What do you NJ/OR folks do about that?
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.

Cars
      2 Manuel Turbo Wagons... One is incredibly slow.
      02-11-2020 06:45 PM #13
      Good luck with that
      FWIW, Jersey gas is some of the cheapest in a 200 mile radius. Especially Turnpike gas.
      I keep up with traffic with only 90 hp. What's your superpower?
      2002 Golf Wagon TDI, 205k - 2007 Fuji Heavy Industries WRB WRX Wagon, 120k
      Past: 1996 Surf Green GTI VR6 - 1985 Golf 1.8L - No Trim Level Edition

Grammatical and spelling errors may be intentional

15. Member
      Cars
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      02-11-2020 06:45 PM #14
      Also, what if they put the wrong octane in my car?
      Or the wrong type of fuel entirely?
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      Here we can all drive like Colin McRae in his prime, earn $25k a month and bang super models. We can also text and drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      You only live once, and you can file for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy every 8 years.

16. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      02-11-2020 06:50 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by TJSwoboda View Post
      I have always heard that the 5.2 V10 runs great on Diesel

17. I need new ones NeverEnoughCars's Avatar
      Cars
      Dodge, Toyota, VW, Ford
      02-11-2020 06:53 PM #16
      Honestly, if its hot, or cold out, its worth 10 cents a gallon to me to not get out.

Also, what if they put the wrong octane in my car? What do you NJ/OR folks do about that?
      It is never hot or cold enough to take that gamble.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio! View Post
      Pedantry: winning arguments through exasperation since 1651. An Old World Tradition!
      "Now i am become death the destroyer of worlds."-bhagavad gita
      “Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -T.S. Eliot

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      02-11-2020 06:57 PM #17
      It doesn't get ultra cold here but sometimes it will get to like -10°C, then the windchill, and if I have to get gas in that, it's cold as fawk. So, I get it. I do agree I would be paranoid about the fuel though and probably have to watch the dude press the button.

Cars
      06 4runner
      02-11-2020 07:12 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by TJSwoboda View Post
      When I lived in Oregon, I worked at a gas station right out of high school and we had a brain dead gas attendant that put the wrong fuel in a car twice in the same week. Both times they called a special service to come out and pump the gas out of the tank and put the correct fuel in it. If the owner started the motor, the company would be held responsible for any damage done to the engine.

I imagine the same case would happen if the wrong octane was put into a car, if the owner put up a big enough fight, or provided documented proof that the wrong octane caused issues with the motor. I only saw that happen once, but the owner ended up losing his temper, assaulting the gas attendant and going to jail. The year I worked at that gas station as a cashier I could write a book about the insanity that I saw.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      02-11-2020 07:14 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Hatch View Post
      When I lived in Oregon, I worked at a gas station right out of high school and we had a brain dead gas attendant that put the wrong fuel in a car twice in the same week. Both times they called a special service to come out and pump the gas out of the tank and put the correct fuel in it. If the owner started the motor, the company would be held responsible for any damage done to the engine.

I imagine the same case would happen if the wrong octane was put into a car, if the owner put up a big enough fight, or provided documented proof that the wrong octane caused issues with the motor. I only saw that happen once, but the owner ended up losing his temper, assaulting the gas attendant and going to jail. The year I worked at that gas station as a cashier I could write a book about the insanity that I saw.
      What kind of car?

21. Member
      Cars
      02-11-2020 07:16 PM #20
      It doesn't get ultra cold here but sometimes it will get to like -10°C, then the windchill, and if I have to get gas in that, it's cold as fawk. So, I get it. I do agree I would be paranoid about the fuel though and probably have to watch the dude press the button.
      I've pumped gas in -20C (-4 fahrenheit) around here before. I just start the pump and lock it in at full speed and get in my car and wait for it to finish. It kind of sucks but I'm still not ready to surrender the pump to a service attendant.

Cars
      Clownshoe, x5 3.5d, Tesla 3
      02-11-2020 07:21 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by G0to60 View Post

..... "license and registration, please"

(at least, that's what I say to my passenger or nobody in particular when I pass that sign)
      Dash cam people suck. Don't be a dash cam person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dravenport View Post
      this thread is a mess, I can't tell if it's full of trolls or idiots and I'm not sure it matters

Cars
      2003 TTq, 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2019 Renegade 1.3T, 2000 Monster 750
      02-11-2020 07:26 PM #22
      Saw this idea yesterday, thank god Springfield is tackling the real issues

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      02-11-2020 07:29 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Saw this idea yesterday, thank god Springfield is tackling the real issues
      Right? This has been going on 30 years!

Cars
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      02-11-2020 07:31 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Surf Green View Post
      FWIW, Jersey gas is some of the cheapest in a 200 mile radius. Especially Turnpike gas.
      And in Oregon it's also generally cheaper than in California or Washington. The eastern counties in Oregon are often exempted from full-service requirement because they're so rural, and I haven't been to Idaho to compare lately.

So the worry about it causing prices to go up would only be for reasons that Illinois creates on its own.
      call it potatography

26. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      02-11-2020 07:45 PM #25
      Right? This has been going on 30 years!

Quite literally a Self Portrait of Illinois

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast