Fourtitude.com - With the Money I put into Car A, I could have bought car B
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. 02-08-2020 06:18 PM #1
      I have an old E46 325. I got it for a reasonable price at the time, and after 2 Outbacks and a truck it was the first sporty thing I owned. I also knew nothing about BMWs at the time. Over the years I've been slowly building it up into my dream project car. I love working on it, its been my gateway into motorsports, and it makes me happy. However, there's always the nagging thought that, "Hey, at this point you could have just bought an M3". Granted, I wouldn't have learned so much about working on cars, and I think pushing the slower car around track has helped my driving skill, but dang at this point I could have an M3 on a set of nice wheels and a few basic mods.

How about you TCL, any base model cars you've dumped way too much money into?

This

vs This

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      19 GLI S, 17 Civic LX, 16 Golf R, 91 B2600i
      02-08-2020 07:03 PM #2
      Considering the total mods cost (including wheel sets etc..), and some sunk costs (changing tuners)...

Car A: Mk7 Golf R
      Car B: Equivalent generation RS3.
      If you are going at a speed that causes you to run off the road before ESC can provide any assistance, you may not experience the benefits of ESC

Cars
      2003 TTq, 2005 Outback 2.0XT, 2019 Renegade 1.3T, 2000 Monster 750
      02-08-2020 08:10 PM #3
      I've been contemplating this very thing, kind of. I've had the TT for 13 years and put 120k on it, and have a bunch of good parts stockpiled for a big turbo build. I got the Monster in the fall and could probably sell it for profit this spring. Do I build the TT since it is basically ready to go and try riding for the season, or do I sell both of them with all the parts and hold out for a good early C3 Corvette deal? Figure $10k or less, I'd use it as a base for a build and finally get my classic Corvette, but I'd also lose the best car I've ever owned while just giving up on motorcycles.

I could keep the two and eventually get a Mako, but prices aren't going to soften and a built small-block with sidepipes could potentially outweigh the other two. Do I take car and bike A and get whatever I can to finally get car B?

It's one piece of pie for another

Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      02-09-2020 01:37 AM #4
      I dumped a relatively large amount of money modding a 2006 Toyota Corolla S (big LOL in hindsight) that I could've bought an equivalent model year Civic SI.

6. Member
      Cars
      '17 S6, B5 S4
      02-09-2020 02:51 AM #5
      Where do I even start...

So I bought a 1995 Civic EJ EX coupe off craigslist for $2200 that had just been painted and the interior was immaculate. Mid life crisis and what not...
      It was an automatic so the manual conversion was $400.

Shortly after this, I bought a full JDM B18C Type R swap including transmission, harness, axels, ECU, etc for $4500.
      Then came the Tein coilovers for a reasonable $750
      Then the Enkei bronze RPF-1 17" wheels and tires for $1300
      Then the GSR rear disc brake conversion for $300
      Shortly after the swap, the valve guides let go because the engine had been sitting idle for about 17 years. The motor had 47K miles but I decided to replace the seals, have the guides redone, and while the head was off, do the bearings and rings. $3000 later I have a brand new 1997 JDM B18C Type R motor. Yay.
      Then I think I would like to hear the thing a bit more so I get a Tenabe Medallion exhaust for $500.
      Won't pass emissions because the cat is toast so the new OEM cat is another $400 plus $50 install.
      So I'm thinking that a '90's Civic can't be complete without a semi-obnoxious sound system. So to keep it period correct, I find an Orion GTi 10" sub (800watts RMS from 1994), an Orion 2150 amp, and a current Pioneer deck that support CarPlay, and the rest of the speakers for a total of $2200 installed.

So that's where I am at this point. It's fun as hell to drive. How much good stuff can you buy for $16,000? I don't know but I have a 1995 Civic Ex, 25 years old, that cost more than it was new and has a sweet fart can exhaust. I feel like I have won...or lost...I don't care..

Did I win this thread? Because if I did it is like the first one that I have won in like 20 years..

Cars
      www.speed-driven.com
      02-09-2020 03:11 AM #6
      but then you'd be putting money into Car B too.. it's a vicious cycle
      Speed-Driven Wallpapers: http://www.speed-driven.com

8. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      02-09-2020 07:27 AM #7
      My problem isn't picking the wrong trim.... it's putting daily drivers into NASCAR walls, and picking the wrong cars in the first place. If I could do it all over, I probably would have got a C5 convertible over the Z, and something roomy, AWD and quick once my daughter was born. I do wish I had got a TLX Advance rather than the Tech but they are as rare as hens' teeth, especially in AWD.

9. 02-09-2020 08:04 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by jacobyb View Post
      Where do I even start...

So I bought a 1995 Civic EJ EX coupe
      So here lies the conundrum; I'm assuming the end result is your perfect Civic, set up to cater to all your needs. But if you ever want to get out of it, the financial loss would be sizable. Once I reached that point with my car, I figured I might as well keep going

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      02-09-2020 09:24 AM #9
      I could probably write a similar story as to the OP with my corrado. Over 20 years i've thousands on mods (far less on replacing broken parts fyi). I could probably buy a new gti with what I've spent doing things to it. But I'm not sure I'd want a new gti in comparison. I don't know, i just use the car for fun and to have fun with. I suppose I could get into a used e46 m3 as well. I can't imagine doing it any other way though. Once I completed my first track day, I knew the corrado would be my forever project car.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      02-09-2020 10:08 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      I could probably write a similar story as to the OP with my corrado. Over 20 years i've thousands on mods (far less on replacing broken parts fyi). I could probably buy a new gti with what I've spent doing things to it. But I'm not sure I'd want a new gti in comparison. I don't know, i just use the car for fun and to have fun with. I suppose I could get into a used e46 m3 as well. I can't imagine doing it any other way though. Once I completed my first track day, I knew the corrado would be my forever project car.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      Yea this is something to consider as well. Even mild mods to a car don't make financial sense. Even if you put it back to stock you will lose money on resale and either time or money on labor.

There's def a subset of people who cheap out on the wrong trim and then waste money trying to cover the gap. But I don't know that every car build fits that description.

Cars
      KLE650, XJR1300
      02-09-2020 12:43 PM #11
      The big problem, in my mind, about doing these sort of thing is that you are stuck with it forever. At the end of the day, regardless of how much you've spent, it's stilll the same vehicle you started with and you won't be able to recover the expenses if you want a new project.

On the other hand, the more expensive vehicle will always be more desirable and higher resale value. Therefore you must be sure you are ready for that kind of commitment to that project. I've spent quite a bit of money on two of my bikes, both bought new, on both cases I could've got a "better" bike off the showroom with the same money. However, I've spent that money on what I consider to be important, so they are better on what I wanted than the "better" bike; like a tailor fitted suit. I won't be selling them anytime soon, got them new because I knew what I'd be doing to them and that I'd be stuck with them forever.

Cars
      '08 Acura TL
      02-09-2020 12:49 PM #12
      For the past year or so, something suspension/brake-related has been going out on the TL every couple of months. Calipers, control arm bushings, tie rod, and now the CV joints are most likely dying...

I know it's getting old, but it seems like everything is wearing out at once.

Engine/transmission are bulletproof, but the car has needed a new transmission cooling line (corrosion) and radiator.
      Last edited by Lifelong Obsession; 02-09-2020 at 12:51 PM.

Cars
      2019 GTI/9-5 Aero SportCombi/993/Volt
      02-09-2020 02:32 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by jacobyb View Post
      Where do I even start...

So I bought a 1995 Civic EJ EX coupe off craigslist for $2200 that had just been painted and the interior was immaculate. Mid life crisis and what not...
      It was an automatic so the manual conversion was $400.

Shortly after this, I bought a full JDM B18C Type R swap including transmission, harness, axels, ECU, etc for $4500.
      Then came the Tein coilovers for a reasonable $750
      Then the Enkei bronze RPF-1 17" wheels and tires for $1300
      Then the GSR rear disc brake conversion for $300
      Shortly after the swap, the valve guides let go because the engine had been sitting idle for about 17 years. The motor had 47K miles but I decided to replace the seals, have the guides redone, and while the head was off, do the bearings and rings. $3000 later I have a brand new 1997 JDM B18C Type R motor. Yay.
      Then I think I would like to hear the thing a bit more so I get a Tenabe Medallion exhaust for $500.
      Won't pass emissions because the cat is toast so the new OEM cat is another $400 plus $50 install.
      So I'm thinking that a '90's Civic can't be complete without a semi-obnoxious sound system. So to keep it period correct, I find an Orion GTi 10" sub (800watts RMS from 1994), an Orion 2150 amp, and a current Pioneer deck that support CarPlay, and the rest of the speakers for a total of $2200 installed.

So that's where I am at this point. It's fun as hell to drive. How much good stuff can you buy for $16,000? I don't know but I have a 1995 Civic Ex, 25 years old, that cost more than it was new and has a sweet fart can exhaust. I feel like I have won...or lost...I don't care..

Did I win this thread? Because if I did it is like the first one that I have won in like 20 years..
      Need pics for final determination of win.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
      Leonardo - Team Post-Killing Ninja
      Fizzy - Team My Little Pony
      #FREEPATRIKMAN
      Quote Originally Posted by Jrod511 View Post
      If I could do one thing with a DeLorean it would be to give Vad's parents a condom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sledge View Post
      Do you want to be known as the guy who makes worse automotive decisions than VadGTI?

02-09-2020 02:41 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      My problem isn't picking the wrong trim.... it's putting daily drivers into NASCAR walls.
      This is why I love you ❤️

16. Member
      Cars
      '17 S6, B5 S4
      02-09-2020 10:44 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by beefjerky View Post
      So here lies the conundrum; I'm assuming the end result is your perfect Civic, set up to cater to all your needs. But if you ever want to get out of it, the financial loss would be sizable. Once I reached that point with my car, I figured I might as well keep going
      At this point I have zero desire to sell. Also you are 100% correct with the F#&k it mentality once you hit that threshold with the money you are spending. Ultimately what I am hoping is that in the future, this kind of car will be my generation's '68 Camaro and will be the cars crossing the Barrett Jackson auctions for obnoxious money. I can say that if you are a male in your late 30's/early 40's, this Civic is amazing and sooooooo much fun to drive. 9000rpm's and the famous vtec crossover noise....

17. Member
      Cars
      '17 S6, B5 S4
      02-09-2020 10:45 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by VadGTI View Post
      Need pics for final determination of win.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
      I will take some and post. Unfortunately it is black but the red valve cover is a great contrast I guess.

18. Member
      Cars
      19 GLI Autobahn
      02-10-2020 02:45 PM #17
      It's the curse of an enthusiast. Thing is you'd spend that much on the M3. We can't leave things well enough alone, no matter how good, even if it is just a tune. I remember back in the day selling my heavily modded A4 to get the then new STI thinking stock, it was better than my big turbo/fmic/etc A4 so i wouldn't NEED to mod it...turned around and continued to mod, and then modded up the Miata. It never ends. I have modified every car I have owned, and i think I always will. I guess it's part of the hobby.

It's just what we do, don't get to worked up about it - that money spent is also not about the car, its about the experiences surrounding it. I learned so much, and made a few friends during my Miata and Audi years, they were good times.

I made some car mistakes lately swapping through 2 cars in 2016, 2018, and 2019 - so what irks me is i typically spend $5k just getting a new car set up, and of course that's lost money, so looking back, ive wasted $10k on mods for cars i didn't even keep, and just spent $5k on my 5 month old DD (2019 GLI) - and regretting i didn't get the AWE exhaust....and wondering when the IS38 kits come out...ugh.

Oh well. What truly angers me is when i look at how much I have spent on chasing women (includes buying/selling houses/jewelry/divorce settlements due to aforementioned women) in the last few years, easily enough for an modified RS3 in the garage. If it's got boost or boobs, it's trouble.

Cars
      2018 Tesla P3D, 2012 S60, 1991 Miata, 2007 RX-8 LFX, 1965 Cutlass
      02-10-2020 02:56 PM #18
      I have spent (dumped?) over $23k into my track focused Miata. Between suspension, safety, supercharger, all supporting bits, it's a lot. For that money i could have gotten a C5 Z06 with money to spare, and most likely been faster on track and had more fun.

Basically the same story with my LFX swapped RX-8 however, that one at least can seat 4. It's a bit harder to compare that to anything in the market right now.
      Full force wallet weight reduction, my Miata build:
      https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...build-journal)

Cars
      2008 RS4 Muggy/TI, 2013 Touareg TDI
      02-11-2020 12:18 PM #19
      With the money I spent on this (in 2009):

IMG_0274

And then spent making it into this (between 2011 and 2018):

5D3_9723
      5D3_4048
      H2O20150

I wish I would have bought the nicest used example of either this (in 2012 terms)

or this

Cars
      '12 Golf R - sold, '04 GLI, '18 GTI
      02-11-2020 12:35 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by 87vr6 View Post
      With the money I spent on this (in 2009):

I wish I would have bought the nicest used example of either this (in 2012 terms)

its all good now tho

22. 02-11-2020 01:28 PM #21
      oh boy this is fun..

with the money spent over 15 years building A

I could have almost bought B

or perhaps a single unit of these

or maybe this

no regrets though, just a dangerous topic that comes up often between my close friends and I

02-11-2020 02:19 PM #22
      With the money I put into this:

Corrado VR6T by Raven, on Flickr

I could have bought this:
      https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1996-ferrari-f355-12/

Cars
      13 Golf TDI, 09 Speed Triple, 06 RX8, 02 M3, 98 C2500, 94(98) CP Camaro
      02-11-2020 02:24 PM #23
      For the amount of money I have in the 94 Z28 (~10x what the insurance company valued it at) I could have an extremely clean 996 Turbo.
      Last edited by landstuhltaylor; 02-11-2020 at 02:29 PM.

Cars
      2008 RS4 Muggy/TI, 2013 Touareg TDI
      02-11-2020 02:29 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by 03_uni-B View Post
      its all good now tho
      But it would have been better in the long run

Cars
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      02-11-2020 02:43 PM #25
      My dad always joked that with all the money he put into his kids, he could've bought a Ferrari. Is that sort of the same?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast