Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
      Cars
      2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      02-06-2020 07:40 PM #1
      File this under "I'll believe it when I see it at my local dealership."

https://www.vwvortex.com/news/volksw...rmance-models/

Quote Originally Posted by VWvortex
      Volkswagen has been trying to make its cars appeal more specifically to Americans. That resulted in a new factory in Tennessee and more US-specific cars. And VW’s new COO, Johan de Nysschen, thinks that the next step is performance cars.

“Dealers would like more performance derivatives,” said de Nysschen, speaking to media at the Chicago Auto Show. “I think we are now at the point where I would like to examine […] beyond just the pure financially-driven business case requirements, but also look at this idea of generating economic values through raising brand appeal.”

It’s a little early to say if that means Rs or GTIs, he says, but the prospect of a new North American-built car in the spirit of the GTI, GLI, or R brands, is...more here

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      02-06-2020 07:43 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by silverspeedbuggy View Post
      ^^
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Cars
      14 s4 6mt
      02-06-2020 07:47 PM #3
      ^^ x 3

Cars
      Fusion Hybrid
      02-06-2020 07:57 PM #4

can we also rebrand all models into (different) alpha numerics?
      This is only temporary, unless it works. - Red Green

6. I’m not a loser. I’m a winnah!! patrikman's Avatar
      Cars
      made in ‘murica truck and wagon
      02-06-2020 08:01 PM #5
      By more performance cars do they mean more electric cars?
      this signature kills fascists.

Support Your Local Homebrewery

Cars
      '19 Accord EX Hybrid, '16 e-Golf SE, '04 Sequoia SR5, '00 GTI 1.8t
      02-06-2020 08:05 PM #6
      Sciroccos for everyone!!!!!

Cars
      2019 Mazda 3
      02-06-2020 08:10 PM #7
      I'm sure it'll just be more R-Line crossovers

02-06-2020 08:16 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by 2.0_Mazda View Post
      I'm sure it'll just be more R-Line crossovers
      He actually said smaller MQB vehicles (cars specifically) with more agile handling. Whatever that means.

I mean this is the company that just killed the Beetle and can't seem to figure out how to market the Golf properly. So I'm going to take de Nysschen's crazy talk with a Atlas full of salt.

It’s a little early to say if that means Rs or GTIs, he says, but the prospect of a new North American-built car in the spirit of the GTI, GLI, or R brands, is real. With the Passat, Atlas, and Tiguan being the only cars coming out of North America (that don’t already have one of those badges somewhere in the lineup), the options are limited.

But that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re going to see an Atlas GTI.

An upcoming performance car “probably ends up on the smaller end of the MQB platform, more compact cars that are agile and have a bit of handling and are lighter in weight,” said de Nysschen. Adding that although the R brand is tempting, “Rs have a higher price point and so it also narrows the volume a bit.”

10. Member
      Cars
      2006 Slow Honda Insight
      02-06-2020 08:18 PM #9
      R-Line

EVERYTHING!
      2006 Slow Honda Insight runabout
      2005 Lava Orange MazdaSpeed Miata Ours
      2013 Prius V Hers
      2007 Jeep GC CDI Ours
      2002 Ram Cummins Ours

11. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      02-06-2020 08:24 PM #10
      VW execs need to stop talking to the media. I am not even sure they can be trained

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-06-2020 08:32 PM #11
      What is said at the end of the article is what is really telling. VW is not interested in bringing more Euro models here (), so its clear whatever 'performance' we get, it will come out of Chattanooga or Puebla and would most likely be a VWoA design as well like the Atlas.

So in other words, we will get an R-line T-roc which will suck.

Cars
      a Metro pass.
      02-06-2020 08:40 PM #12
      Oh yippeeee where have I heard this before?

Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      Subaru fans chalk their negative experiences up to being part of a smaller brand and character. Something about beards, lesbians, and douche-flutes.

Cars
      135i, A6_3.0, XC40
      02-06-2020 09:00 PM #13
      I'll believe it when I hear a Chewbacca mating call belting out of the 3.0 VR-T they promised us.

Cars
      Golf GTI 7
      02-06-2020 09:18 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by EverthingIsTerrible View Post

So in other words, we will get an R-line T-roc which will suck.
      We're not getting the T-Roc at all.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      02-06-2020 09:22 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Hajduk View Post
      We're not getting the T-Roc at all.
      You know what i mean. Atlas Coupe or whatever theyre calling it

17. 02-06-2020 09:39 PM #16
      Hey, VW

Make me a new Osnabrueck, Wolfsburg, Emden, or Mosel-Zwickau-built Scirocco or Corrado out of the new Jetta or MK8 golf, with a turbo VR6 and paddle shifters and no sunroof. I'll take it in a burgundy or dark green metallic with a two-tone black and beige or saddle brown interior. Me love you long time.

-Someone who wouldn't mind a Saab 900 or Scirocco/Corrado equivalent car with a sexy Chewbacca scream.

Cars
      2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport Q4, 1987 Scirocco 16V, 1989 Jetta GL
      02-06-2020 09:55 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by EverthingIsTerrible View Post
      You know what i mean. Atlas Coupe or whatever theyre calling it
      I think a VR6T Atlas Cross Sport could be pretty cool.

But I think a Jetta R would be better. It's MQB, so it can be built with 4motion with the Golf R engine. It could undercut the Golf R just like the GLI comes in thousands less than the GTI. It's VW's most popular sedan and Americans love sedans over hatchbacks, so why not build on that?

Side note: I wonder if the success of the Passat GT played into this. Those sold very well and I think have held their value better than comparable year Passats.

19. 02-06-2020 10:08 PM #18

I have a feeling that VW’s new COO, Johan de Nysschen will be long gone before this gets anywhere. Lets guess which
      car marker will he be hired by in the next couple of years?

20. 02-06-2020 10:11 PM #19
      I think a VR6T Atlas Cross Sport could be pretty cool.

But I think a Jetta R would be better. It's MQB, so it can be built with 4motion with the Golf R engine. It could undercut the Golf R just like the GLI comes in thousands less than the GTI. It's VW's most popular sedan and Americans love sedans over hatchbacks, so why not build on that?

Side note: I wonder if the success of the Passat GT played into this. Those sold very well and I think have held their value better than comparable year Passats.
      The thing that made me sad about the Passat GT, is that I loved the powertrain before the car itself. I mean, the NMS Passat is a nice car in it's own right, but it's old; they really are trying to milk that PQ35/45 platform for all it's worth.

I think they went the right direction with the refresh of it, but it's still the same dated car from 9 years ago, with bones that date back even farther. I just find it disturbing that you can get options like multi-color ambient lighting, ventilated seats, and digital cockpits in a Jetta, which is supposed to be the lesser car, than a Passat, which is supposed to be the larger, higher-end model. So, in order to get at least those options in a VW four door car, you have to pay almost $50k for an Arteon, and you can't even change the colors on the ambient lighting. I don't think the ambient lighting in the Atlas has configurable colors either. The Tiguan doesn't offer many options available in the cheaper Jetta like ambient lighting or ventilated seats.

Then, you have stuff like the new Sonata and Legacy that I was quite impressed by. Combine that with the fact that Detroit brands like Ford are exiting the sedan game altogether. I would have used that as an opportunity to at least try. While I do believe that a decrease in sedan sales have had a negative effect on the Passat, I feel the main issue is the fact that it's ancient. Look at sales of the Jetta. While they certainly have decreased since earlier last decade, they're still moving almost as many units, as either the Atlas, or Tiguan. Not the Atlas or Tiguan combined of course.
      Last edited by TSchuettinger; 02-06-2020 at 10:19 PM.

21. 02-06-2020 10:17 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by TSchuettinger View Post
      The thing that made me sad about the Passat GT, is that I loved the powertrain before the car itself. I mean, the NMS Passat is a nice car in it's own right, but it's old; they really are trying to milk that PQ35/45 platform for all it's worth.

I think they went the right direction with the refresh of it, but it's still the same dated car from 9 years ago, with bones that date back even farther. I just find it disturbing that you can get options like multi-color ambient lighting, ventilated seats, and digital cockpits in a Jetta, which is supposed to be the lesser car, than a Passat, which is supposed to be the larger, higher-end model. So, in order to get at least those options in a VW four door car, you have to pay almost $50k for an Arteon, and you can't even change the colors on the ambient lighting. I don't think the ambient lighting in the Atlas has configurable colors either. The Tiguan doesn't offer many options available in the cheaper Jetta like ambient lighting or ventilated seats.
      Truthfully multi colored mood lighting isn't that much of a draw to most customers especially in a Passat category.

The chassis is really pretty solid and the basic car is quite good. The only differences are the gadgets for the most part.

22. Member
      Cars
      1995 M3
      02-06-2020 10:53 PM #21
      Wait, since when did Johan de Nysschen get hired by VW?? Did he not do enough to run Infiniti and Cadillac into the ground?

23. 02-07-2020 01:20 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Charlie84 View Post
      Wait, since when did Johan de Nysschen get hired by VW?? Did he not do enough to run Infiniti and Cadillac into the ground?
      Certainly.

These guys at the top seem to keep circulating in high positions at major corporations whether they succeed or not, makes you wonder doesn't it? Welfare for the rich and connected? Yep.

24. 02-07-2020 01:33 AM #23
      Maybe a Bon Jovi Harlequin edition T-Roc is on the way? One can only hope.
      '97 GTI VR6 DE (JB)

Cars
      '19 Golf R, '08 Z4M Coupé
      02-07-2020 01:46 AM #24
      VW & BMW both churn CEOs at an alarming rate. This cat will be long gone before this idea of his will ever move forward, and the next one will probably bury it immediately.

Reminds me a little of when they decided to Americanize the very successful Golf/Rabbit back in the day, setting up shop in Westmoreland PA, and then proceeding to take all the German goodness out of our Rabbit - flaccid suspensions, velour interiors, square headlights, and horrendous build quality - a staple of the American auto industry at the time - in order to appease US buyers. Didn't work. Turns out VW fans liked the cars because they were European, and didn't want their Rabbits turned into mini Buicks. These guys never learn.

'19 Golf R 6MT
      '08 Z4 M Coupé

26. 02-07-2020 01:55 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      VW & BMW both churn CEOs at an alarming rate. This cat will be long gone before this idea of his will ever move forward, and the next one will probably bury it immediately.

These guys never learn.
      Again, begs the question, why do these guys keep getting hired at this level when they fail spectacularly?

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast