Fourtitude.com - 2006 Audi TT225Q 02M: Best clutch for "smooth" daily driving and 600whp? Also, what trans mods?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Results 1 to 8 of 8
    1. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Fort Worth, Texas
      Posts
      8,716
      02-04-2020 05:32 PM #1
      I posted this in the manual trans forum but it's sloooow there so I figured I may get more responses here since a lot of 1.8T's share the 02M.

      I am slowly building my 2006 MK1 Audi TT 225 and am starting to look at the transmission. I am going to be running a 2.0L/2.1L 1.8T with a Garrett G30-770 turbo and am hoping to push 600whp.

      With that said, I really hate very heavy clutch pedals. My old GTI 1.8T (02J) had a super light pedal with the oem VR6 clutch kit and it held 425whp reasonably well. The stock TT clutch is considerably heavier than the GTI's and it's OKAY but I would like to keep it as close to that as possible.

      With that said, what clutch would you guys recommend? I'm willing to pay $2K+ if it means I can get what I want, but is it even possible?

      Also, what other transmission mods should I be looking at? I've read several old posts regarding shift forks and what not but some are over 10 years old so I don't know what's changed since then in development. Car currently shifts "okay" but with 126k miles I suspect new synchronizers and what not should make but much smother shifting.

      In short, if YOU were to build the "PERFECT" daily driver/weekend warrior transmission for a 600whp 1.8T with AWD, what parts would you throw at it? Also, what if I want longer gearing? Stock gearing is incredibly short.

      Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
      2006 TT225Q: Stock...for now.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Senior Member Vegeta Gti's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 12th, 2003
      Location
      konoha village, hawaii
      Posts
      21,815
      Cars
      1984 GLi 20v, '16 M3, '85 Golf, '17 R, '19 Q7
      02-04-2020 11:38 PM #2
      I wouldn't go for that much power unless I had a daily.



      Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      :HOMEGROWN MOTORSPORTS..SingerVehicleDesign...1:4.9 SuaSponte #13Dead Rabbits. Ungluck on IG. MKIforLife
      Quote Originally Posted by .Ant View Post
      What vegeta said.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Fort Worth, Texas
      Posts
      8,716
      02-04-2020 11:42 PM #3
      My daily is a 2012 Audi A6. This is my weekend warrior, but I want to build it as if it were a daily driver.
      2006 TT225Q: Stock...for now.

    5. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    6. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 4th, 2006
      Location
      Sellersville, PA
      Posts
      1,983
      Cars
      02 GTI 1.8T, 07 Audi Q7 3.6, 84 GTI 8V, 04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T-ret, 91 Wolfsburg Jetta 8v-ret
      02-05-2020 09:29 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
      I posted this in the manual trans forum but it's sloooow there so I figured I may get more responses here since a lot of 1.8T's share the 02M.

      I am slowly building my 2006 MK1 Audi TT 225 and am starting to look at the transmission. I am going to be running a 2.0L/2.1L 1.8T with a Garrett G30-770 turbo and am hoping to push 600whp.

      With that said, I really hate very heavy clutch pedals. My old GTI 1.8T (02J) had a super light pedal with the oem VR6 clutch kit and it held 425whp reasonably well. The stock TT clutch is considerably heavier than the GTI's and it's OKAY but I would like to keep it as close to that as possible.

      With that said, what clutch would you guys recommend? I'm willing to pay $2K+ if it means I can get what I want, but is it even possible?

      Also, what other transmission mods should I be looking at? I've read several old posts regarding shift forks and what not but some are over 10 years old so I don't know what's changed since then in development. Car currently shifts "okay" but with 126k miles I suspect new synchronizers and what not should make but much smother shifting.

      In short, if YOU were to build the "PERFECT" daily driver/weekend warrior transmission for a 600whp 1.8T with AWD, what parts would you throw at it? Also, what if I want longer gearing? Stock gearing is incredibly short.

      Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
      As far as clutch, I recommend the CM FX850 twin-disc for superior clamping force and ease of engagement. I don't have direct experience with this clutch, but heard good things about it.
      The Bible Teaches That Few are Saved. Why Hell Must Be Eternal. Scientific Evidence for God. "The perverse are hard to be corrected, and the number of fools is infinite." (Ecclesiastes 1:15).

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Fort Worth, Texas
      Posts
      8,716
      02-07-2020 08:05 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by mainstayinc View Post
      As far as clutch, I recommend the CM FX850 twin-disc for superior clamping force and ease of engagement. I don't have direct experience with this clutch, but heard good things about it.
      I haven't found a whole lot of info on it, but a lot of people talk crap about clutchmasters in general from what I've seen. It looks like an awesome kit though.
      2006 TT225Q: Stock...for now.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 4th, 2006
      Location
      Sellersville, PA
      Posts
      1,983
      Cars
      02 GTI 1.8T, 07 Audi Q7 3.6, 84 GTI 8V, 04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T-ret, 91 Wolfsburg Jetta 8v-ret
      02-08-2020 09:49 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
      I haven't found a whole lot of info on it, but a lot of people talk crap about clutchmasters in general from what I've seen. It looks like an awesome kit though.
      My friend Tan ran the FX850 twin-disc in a 1000+ HP R32 on a quarter mile track with no issues. Alternatively, I blew up an FX200 clutch on my 2.1L GTX2867R daily driver several years ago due to a transmission failure. Turned out the FX200 was stamped "Sachs". I also have a CM FX725 in my MK1 2.1L GTX3584RS street killer which is more aggressive than the FX850 as it is un-sprung. I won't know for sure how the FX725 performs until I get some seat time. Overall, though, I think the CM twin-discs are pretty legit.
      The Bible Teaches That Few are Saved. Why Hell Must Be Eternal. Scientific Evidence for God. "The perverse are hard to be corrected, and the number of fools is infinite." (Ecclesiastes 1:15).

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Fort Worth, Texas
      Posts
      8,716
      02-08-2020 02:34 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by mainstayinc View Post
      My friend Tan ran the FX850 twin-disc in a 1000+ HP R32 on a quarter mile track with no issues. Alternatively, I blew up an FX200 clutch on my 2.1L GTX2867R daily driver several years ago due to a transmission failure. Turned out the FX200 was stamped "Sachs". I also have a CM FX725 in my MK1 2.1L GTX3584RS street killer which is more aggressive than the FX850 as it is un-sprung. I won't know for sure how the FX725 performs until I get some seat time. Overall, though, I think the CM twin-discs are pretty legit.
      Excellent! I wish I knew someone with one to know how engagement feels on it. Thanks for the info though.
      2006 TT225Q: Stock...for now.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 4th, 2006
      Location
      Sellersville, PA
      Posts
      1,983
      Cars
      02 GTI 1.8T, 07 Audi Q7 3.6, 84 GTI 8V, 04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8T-ret, 91 Wolfsburg Jetta 8v-ret
      02-08-2020 03:27 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
      Excellent! I wish I knew someone with one to know how engagement feels on it. Thanks for the info though.
      The Bible Teaches That Few are Saved. Why Hell Must Be Eternal. Scientific Evidence for God. "The perverse are hard to be corrected, and the number of fools is infinite." (Ecclesiastes 1:15).

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •