VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Help identify grease on ball joint/control arm

3K views 31 replies 4 participants last post by  baam_1 
#1 · (Edited)
Help to identify wheel knock and unknown grease on ball joint/control arm

Hey guys,

I'm having some clicking/knocking coming from my left front wheel. I just had an alignment done about two weeks ago, so I'm assuming all steering components are fine. When I removed the tire, there was a lot of dirty grease buildup on the ball joint/control arm. Is this coming from the CV joint? The boot like in good condition but is there some grease possibly coming out of the end? Please have a look. Some pictures are after I scraped some grease of with a flathead.

See less See more
#6 ·
This has become a nightmare. I think I should have removed the axle on the wheel side first then the transaxle side. I loosened the axle nut then loosened and removed the 6 on the other end however it popped out of the trans side and I couldn’t get it out of the wheel side. I decided to loosen the 3 lower ball joint nuts to see if it would give me some play but 2 of the bolts broke off. So I’ll have to replace the ball joints too.

I’ve noticed that this entire side is fairly rusty and there is quite a bit of peeling plus the 2 ball joint bolts breaking. It might sound silly but I’m wondering if this is from the axle grease, as it was pretty dry, so it’s been there for a while.

What do you guys think and any tricks you’ve used to get the axle out. I tried hammering the bolt and it helped but it doesn’t quite have enough clearance to get out.

#8 ·
Hey guys,

I'm having some clicking/knocking coming from my left front wheel. I just had an alignment done about two weeks ago, so I'm assuming all steering components are fine. When I removed the tire, there was a lot of dirty grease buildup on the ball joint/control arm. Is this coming from the CV joint? The boot like in good condition but is there some grease possibly coming out of the end? Please have a look. Some pictures are after I scraped some grease of with a flathead.

How about if you post up some info on what you are working on, you know like the Make, Model and Year etc. so we don't have to guess.

#10 ·
Sorry, it's an '07 A3 3.2. I didn't think that mattered.

It's a 27mm bolt. I removed it along with the 6 triple square bolts at the transmission side. I screwed the bolt back on by only a few threads and tried to hammer out the axle, but it didn't work. The joint compresses but there just isn't enough clearance. So I tried to remove the lower ball joint nuts but the bolts snapped.

#12 ·
I got the axle out and the CV off. I'm picking up the new parts tomorrow. I was going to do the right side ball joint at the same time so they're both new.

One question, the picture below, am I supposed to line up the arrow with something when reassembling?

#14 ·
Ok, thanks. I actually already got both ball joints from the dealer. Unfortunately when I asked for a CV joint they only ordered the boot, So I will have to call back tomorrow and get the joint. I decided to do both ball joints so they're both new. Hopefully the passenger side doesn't give me any headaches.

#16 ·
Isn’t anything from the dealer “OEM”? I didn’t realize there was a difference between OE and OEM.

On a side note, the dealer wants almost $500 for the CV joint, so I’m going to go with aftermarket. Hopefully the quality is decent.

#17 ·
well regardless of where you purchase the new part, there is nothing to be gained by renewing a part that is not faulty. you are giving yourself unnecessary work and expense. $500 for a cv joint is daylight robbery:screwy: defo go aftermarket on that one:thumbup:

#23 ·
Good idea. I'm also looking for balljoint and CV joint to flange. After looking into it, I've realized that the 6 bolt that connect the inner CV to the flange should also be replaced along with the main axle bolt.

I'll check the A3 section. Thanks again!

#25 ·
I also question whether it's a money grab. I try to balance saving money with quality. I can't afford OEM everything but I don't want to have issues because I was trying to save money.

Anyways, I called around and this is what my options are for the boot kit.

Re manufactured axle for $215. (Carquest brand)
New Febi CV joint kit for $238
Dealer boot kit for $425.

These prices are in Canadian dollars.

How are Febi CV joints? Anyone with experience?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.