Fourtitude.com - 2011 Tiguan Start / Stall when Hot
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. 01-28-2020 08:02 PM #1
      Vehicle: 2011 Tiguan 2.0 TSI

Problem: After driving the vehicle and letting rest for 20-40 mins, the vehicle starts/runs/drives for 30 seconds to a minute. At that point the engine stalls. It sometimes will start again right away, and sometimes it can take a half hour to get it going again.

Troubleshooting: With a scan tool plugged in, when the ignition is first turned on, the fuel rail pressure is between 1500 and 2200 psi. When the vehicle is started, the fuel pressure sits around 550 psi at an idle. After 30 seconds to a minute, the fuel pressure drops to between 68 and 80 and the vehicle stalls. The fuel pressure remains at the 68-80 while trying to start. When it eventually starts, it levels back off at 500+psi. I unfortunately haven't tested what all these numbers look like on a cold engine, but I never have a problem with a cold engine.

Parts replaced so far:
      1. Fuel pump driver module (green box under rear seat)
      2. Coolant Temp Sensor on the lower radiator hose
      3. High pressure fuel pump
      4. Camshaft follower for the high pressure fuel pump.

Being that I retain the 60-80 psi, I don't believe that it is the low pressure fuel pump. What I find odd is that the high pressure fuel pump works when it is first started (can hear the clicking), but then just stops. Anyone have any insight into what may be going on?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 02-12-2020 11:42 PM #2
      Update to this:

It is also stalling out if I leave it idle for a long time (>20mins) after driving. The difference here is that it doesn't die until I press the gas pedal.

It will occasionally throw a P2293 code that will clear itself in a couple normal cycles. Again, I have replaced:

High pressure fuel pump (twice)
      Camshaft follower (twice)
      ECT sensor on the lower hose
      Fuel pump driver module

Symptoms:

Normal fuel pressure (500-600psi at idle)

When problem happens, fuel pressure drops to 40-60 psi

Temp sensor (via scanner) is between 200 and 208. I have had the issue happen around 180 also.

If anyone can shine any light onto what I may have going on that would be awesome.

Again, it is a 2011 Tiguan with 120k miles