Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      02-09-2020 04:19 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by kaz02a4 View Post
      Pissed.
      The dealer with that red 2017 Autobahn listed the price at $19,995*.

Oh, what's that little asterisk mean?
      Well...that price does not include a 25% down payment.
      So. You mean to tell me that the price is $24,995 before TTL?
      Yes.

The hunt continues.
      Good to know my suspicions were right about that place. I'm sure there are some good and honest BHPH dealerships out there but the reality is in this case, stereotypes exist for a reason.

Onto your purchase, congrats! Also, that green is a way better color than the red and is what I'd choose if I was to buy a GTI again. Like others said, get paint correction is a must. It's a small investment but will net you with big results that you'll get to enjoy for years...especially with that beautiful color. Totally worth a couple hundred bucks.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2018 Great Fallllls RIP: 1995 Miata, 1996 Miata, 2007 A4 2.0T, 2002 A4 1.8T, 1998 LGTL, 1995 JGC
      02-19-2020 08:45 PM #77
      Bad news. Looks like the car has had some significant body work done. Weighing my options now.

Maybe I should have just bought a B5 S4...
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      That's like a child saying, "I'm going to swing my fists and walk towards you, and if you get hit, it's your fault!"

4. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      16v I4, Twin Turbo Charged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      02-20-2020 01:15 AM #78

Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

02-20-2020 09:57 AM #79
      Bad news. Looks like the car has had some significant body work done. Weighing my options now.

Sorry to hear that. Was it not on the Carfax? Is the dealer working with you at least?

6. Member
      Cars
      2018 Great Fallllls RIP: 1995 Miata, 1996 Miata, 2007 A4 2.0T, 2002 A4 1.8T, 1998 LGTL, 1995 JGC
      02-20-2020 11:04 AM #80
      Quote Originally Posted by ice4life View Post
      Sorry to hear that. Was it not on the Carfax? Is the dealer working with you at least?
      Nothing recorded on the CarFax, nothing mentioned by the dealer. What I thought was a scratch turned out to be poorly done bondo work that has started to crack.
      The dealer and I are talking, and I should have some more news later today.

I was planning on registering the car this week, but this gives me pause on the off-chance that I need to get out it...
      That's like a child saying, "I'm going to swing my fists and walk towards you, and if you get hit, it's your fault!"

Cars
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      02-20-2020 12:21 PM #81
      Nothing recorded on the CarFax, nothing mentioned by the dealer. What I thought was a scratch turned out to be poorly done bondo work that has started to crack.
      The dealer and I are talking, and I should have some more news later today.

I was planning on registering the car this week, but this gives me pause on the off-chance that I need to get out it...
      Jeezus.

Yeah don't register it unless you absolutely have to. That can be someone else's problem. What you got isn't what you were sold. The dealer could very well have had no idea, but that doesn't make it your problem.

8. Member
      Cars
      02-20-2020 01:47 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Jeezus.

Yeah don't register it unless you absolutely have to. That can be someone else's problem. What you got isn't what you were sold. The dealer could very well have had no idea, but that doesn't make it your problem.
      Yup. I am holding off on registration until there is a clear path forward. Seems like the original dealer is up for doing the work. Shame that they aren't local, as it adds to the fuss.
      Here's what I'm thinking of asking for:

-Full transport of the car from my location to the dealer and back (i.e. I don't have to drive 6hrs one way)
      -Full car rental payment while my car is away
      -A new temporary plate (the current plate is good only until March 6th)
      -Full pictures of the car once the work is complete before it gets returned
      -A chance to inspect the car once it's back in my hands before I register it

Did I miss anything?

9. Semi-n00b
      Cars
      MK7.5 GTI, '10 Duramax
      02-20-2020 03:11 PM #83
      Yup. I am holding off on registration until there is a clear path forward. Seems like the original dealer is up for doing the work. Shame that they aren't local, as it adds to the fuss.
      Here's what I'm thinking of asking for:

-Full transport of the car from my location to the dealer and back (i.e. I don't have to drive 6hrs one way)
      -Full car rental payment while my car is away
      -A new temporary plate (the current plate is good only until March 6th)
      -Full pictures of the car once the work is complete before it gets returned
      -A chance to inspect the car once it's back in my hands before I register it

Did I miss anything?
      TTRS? I kid. I wish you luck in all this, hopefully they match the green well enough.

10. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      02-20-2020 03:24 PM #84
      Nice buy!
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

11. Turtles walk slowly, but get angry fast! Smooremin's Avatar
      Cars
      16v I4, Twin Turbo Charged V6, Gas drinking V8, High revving V10
      02-20-2020 05:31 PM #85

Did I miss anything?
      B5 S4
      Quote Originally Posted by patrikman View Post
      Asking OT for relationship advice makes about as much sense as asking TCL what car to buy.
      Quote Originally Posted by ChillOutPossum View Post
      About 5 oclock I realized I needed to go to Costco for some white people stuff.

12. Member
      Cars
      02-20-2020 06:28 PM #86
      Found one!

Dealer agreed to take care of all paint repairs and fix up any existing issues with the paint.
      If this goes the way I'm hoping it will, I'll have a nice minty green GTI back in a couple of weeks.
      Once I get the car back and see the quality of the work, I'll give a good shout out to this dealer.

13. 02-20-2020 11:08 PM #87
      Are you not worried about the source of the damage? That would be my biggest concern. I'd get a full thorough PPI done before accepting the car back.

14. Member
      Cars
      02-21-2020 07:50 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by shimps1 View Post
      Are you not worried about the source of the damage? That would be my biggest concern. I'd get a full thorough PPI done before accepting the car back.
      After we found the damage, we scoured over the entire car (while up on a lift) looking for any other irregularities. Nothing could be found. She really is clean everywhere else. My best guess is that, seeing it's on the driver's side, maybe it was swiped while street-parked or something like that. I made it very clear that this car should be flawless when it's returned to me. The guys seem to have got the message.

15. Member
      Cars
      03-03-2020 07:03 PM #89
      Small update: the car is phenomenal after a few weeks of ownership. Tons of fun, extremely comfortable, fine in the snow with the right tires, and pretty miserly with fuel. The hatch gobbles up all sorts of stuff...not sure how I lived without it. The paint issue will be taken care of shortly, too: the dealer will pick up the car next week! I promise to take plenty of pictures once she's back and clean. Until then, I'm picking up a few shifter-related items to tighten up the cable-actuated manuel. Other than that, I will drive and enjoy her for many years

16. Member
      Cars
      03-11-2020 09:20 AM #90
      Another update: my car has been picked up! She's back at the dealer I originally bought her from to have the body work done. Everything should be fixed within the next week!

In the meantime, I have a loaner: a 2019 Golf Alltrack S. I feel the need to give a brief review of it, especially seeing as this is the first time I've driven a DSG transmission. In a word, it's weird, but in a good way. Rolling to a stop feels like I'm not letting out the clutch in time. There's a bit of lugging the engine, vibration, etc. In fact, I've gone for the "clutch" a couple of times now, but instead hammer the (much wider) brake pedal. Yikes.

Other than that, the transmission is a smooth and willing partner. I was surprised to find paddle shifters behind the wheel on the S, as well! It adds a bit of flavor to an otherwise staid and inoffensive interior. I miss my auto climate control much more than I expected to, along with the auto-dimming rear view mirror. Oh, and the GTI seats. The Alltrack seats might as well be park benches. In its defense, it's a comfortable cruiser that has tons of space. I can see why people love this kind of vehicle. If I was older/had a family/had a dog(s)/had tons of junk, something like this would be at the top of my list. But for now, the GTI is an excellent multi-tool.

Pics for clicks of the Alltrack (found online, but it's the same thing):

Cars
      A Fancy Nissan
      03-11-2020 10:52 AM #91
      Glad they're taking care of you. As for DSG, it is a little unique in its performance as there is a clutch working unlike a typical slushbox. Usually it smooths out as it learns its user, I'm assuming the loaner has low miles and has been driven by many different individuals and hasn't really had a chance to properly adapt.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

18. Member
      Cars
      03-12-2020 01:40 PM #92
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI Dan View Post
      Glad they're taking care of you. As for DSG, it is a little unique in its performance as there is a clutch working unlike a typical slushbox. Usually it smooths out as it learns its user, I'm assuming the loaner has low miles and has been driven by many different individuals and hasn't really had a chance to properly adapt.
      It's fascinating how these new transmissions learn the driver over time. You are correct: the Alltrack is a baby at 4k miles. So far, so good. Once the car is back, I have a few shifter and cosmetic modifications to kick off the ownership right.

19. 03-12-2020 02:12 PM #93
      After I get the car back, I'd probably try and dump it quick. These cars are a dime a dozen, no reason to be driving around (and paying for) a 2 year old car that's already been smacked up and full of body and paint work.

Cars
      '67 Deluxe Bus, '80 Rabbit Truck, '92 Corrado, '01 S8, '13 CC
      03-13-2020 03:22 PM #94
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      After I get the car back, I'd probably try and dump it quick. These cars are a dime a dozen, no reason to be driving around (and paying for) a 2 year old car that's already been smacked up and full of body and paint work.
      I don't know that I'd call a Great Falls Green GTI a dime a dozen car... An unusual color can reduce the pool of available cars in a big way.

21. Member
      Cars
      03-13-2020 03:55 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by Stromaluski View Post
      I don't know that I'd call a Great Falls Green GTI a dime a dozen car... An unusual color can reduce the pool of available cars in a big way.
      FWIW, a quick cars.com search couldn't find any 2018+ GTI Autobahns in Great Falls Green with manuel.
      Autotrader.com has only 1 available, and it's a 2019 with the 0w-20 oil and the potential "soft stall" issues.
      Once she's back, I will happily keep her for a long, long time.

22. Member
      Cars
      03-26-2020 03:16 PM #96
      SHE'S BACK!!!

I'll lead with this: if anyone is in the market for a VW in the northeast, Shearer VW out in South Burlington VT has been nothing short of exceptional. Not only did I get a great price on the exact car I wanted, but they took care of me completely during the paint ordeal. The spot is completely fixed and looks brand new. The paint work now matches the rest of the car, and they even took care of a few scratches elsewhere. I am absolutely impressed by their team.

Now for the good stuff. Being on lock down has offered me plenty of time to acquaint myself with the new toy. As such, modifications already include shift linkage bushings, a metal shift bracket with delrin bushings, a Euro S3/R short shifter, braided clutch line (to replace the swirl valve) + delay valve delete, and a re-route of the USB plug for easy AA access. Next up is a brake flush, dogbone mount insert, hitting all of the suspension bushings with silicone (should quiet down the chassis creaking that plagues these cars), OEM mud flaps, and putting on the summer wheel/tire set. Eventually I'll get 80% UV tint, but once the simple things are done, I'll just drive her. This is a car I will own for a very, very long time.

23. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      03-26-2020 04:12 PM #97
      Love that color. Are the seats two tone or is that just the lighting? Kinda looks like a light grey down the middle but not sure. In either case, I love that green and have major respect for anyone who chooses that color. Congrats!
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

24. Member
      Cars
      03-26-2020 09:31 PM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by chucchinchilla View Post
      Love that color. Are the seats two tone or is that just the lighting? Kinda looks like a light grey down the middle but not sure. In either case, I love that green and have major respect for anyone who chooses that color. Congrats!
      I wish they were two tone! Unfortunately, they're not. But they are supremely comfortable

This green is the best green. I absolutely love this car. If anyone has suggestions on fun things to do to the car while I'm on lock down/TLO, send them my way! I'll lose my mind otherwise...
      Last edited by kaz02a4; 03-26-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Cars
      '15 STi & '16 .:R
      03-27-2020 12:31 AM #99
      and a re-route of the USB plug for easy AA access.
      What’s wrong with the stock location in the front cubby? You do just leave a cable in the car, right?
      iain

26. Member
      Cars
      03-27-2020 10:49 AM #100
      Quote Originally Posted by Hostile View Post
      What’s wrong with the stock location in the front cubby? You do just leave a cable in the car, right?
      The USB cable coming out of the cubby gets in the way of the shifter. It bugs me and my OCD enough to want to route it differently. So I pulled the cubby out, drilled a hole in the bottom, and routed the USB cable along the inside of the center console back to the cup holders. It's a good arrangement that keeps the wire accessible, tidy, and out of the way of the shifter. I'd be happy to grab some pictures if anyone is curious; it's one of those "hey, that's neat" mods, IMO.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast