Fourtitude.com - Pass or Smash: M998 HMMWV FOR SALE
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. 01-21-2020 01:52 PM #1
      https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...hmmwv-for-sale

15K - Everyone needs an urban assault vehicle. Always wanted one of these and have driven them. BEAST.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      01-21-2020 01:56 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
      https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/pro...hmmwv-for-sale

15K - Everyone needs an urban assault vehicle. Always wanted one of these and have driven them. BEAST.
      Those ex-military HMMWVs wouldn't be very effective urban assault vehicles. They aren't road legal. Besides, trying to maneuver one of those in a city that has not been cleared by fighting sounds like a massive headache. Cool farm/ranch truck though I guess.

4. 01-21-2020 01:58 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Nealric View Post
      Those ex-military HMMWVs wouldn't be very effective urban assault vehicles. They aren't road legal. Besides, trying to maneuver one of those in a city that has not been cleared by fighting sounds like a massive headache. Cool farm/ranch truck though I guess.
      Need to weld plates on the doors. Ask me how I know.

Cars
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      01-21-2020 02:02 PM #4
      Hope you aren't in a hurry to get anywhere driving one.

Cars
      A Fancy Nissan
      01-21-2020 02:02 PM #5
      For my future cabin in some mid-eastern coast mountainous state, hell yes. For anything else, hell no.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      01-21-2020 02:20 PM #6
      Dear God no, those things are absolute pieces of junk that were barely kept running well with the entire logistic power of the US Army supporting them. In civilian hands you would need one good rig, and two more rigs to scavenge spare parts from WHEN parts fail (not if, but when). Even when they're running well they still drive like crap.

Ask anyone who drove a HMMWV for a living... I doubt they would willingly pay money for one.

Quote Originally Posted by tincanman99 View Post
      Need to weld plates on the doors. Ask me how I know.
      Also, this. Soft skin Humvees are worthless and surplus up-armor kits are unobtanium.

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      01-21-2020 02:23 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Pnuu View Post
      Dear God no, those things are absolute pieces of junk that were barely kept running well with the entire logistic power of the US Army supporting them. In civilian hands you would need one good rig, and two more rigs to scavenge spare parts from WHEN parts fail (not if, but when). Even when they're running well they still drive like crap.

Ask anyone who drove a HMMWV for a living... I doubt they would willingly pay money for one.

Also, this. Soft skin Humvees are worthless and surplus up-armor kits are unobtanium.
      I'd agree with this take. If you want a get about for your farm, I think an old Willys Jeep would be a lot more serviceable, and a lot more fun to drive once you get past the novelty of the HMMWV.

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      01-21-2020 02:50 PM #8
      Yeesh. No. Pass. Those things were absolute garbage. I worked with a guy once who told me one of the worst experiences he had was driving one of those for a few months overseas. They are punishing piles.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

10. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      01-21-2020 03:04 PM #9

Agreed. A buddy of mine used to work on home (was in the Marine Reserves when we were in college). He'd come home from a Reserve weekend cursing every aspect of those things. Said they were unreliable, poorly built, and hard to work on.

Pass.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      01-21-2020 03:12 PM #10
      Hahaha I drove these in the military and i dont have any idea why anyone would want to buy one for civilian road use.

Youre a straight up moron if you buy this

Cars
      W116 - W123 - AMG - W463
      01-21-2020 03:32 PM #11
      Go ask anyone who has driven one of these in the military about how great they are.

Wait.. found one.

Quote Originally Posted by EverthingIsTerrible View Post
      Hahaha I drove these in the military and i dont have any idea why anyone would want to buy one for civilian road use.

Cars
      GX, Taco, Tiguan, bikes
      01-21-2020 03:36 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Agreed. A buddy of mine used to work on home (was in the Marine Reserves when we were in college). He'd come home from a Reserve weekend cursing every aspect of those things. Said they were unreliable, poorly built, and hard to work on.

Pass.
      Sounds like he spent time in the Motor Pool too.

Luckily I was assigned a different vehicle so I never had to be responsible for a Humvee, but I still ended up driving them often and BSing with my Motor Pool friends about them. They have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

14. 01-21-2020 03:38 PM #13
      its not even a turtle back..

for civilians this might seem cool but as all the military folks know... TOO HEAVY TO MANEUVER , SLOW, TOO HEAVY TO MANEUVER, SLOW, ZERO COMFORT

yall remember those motor pool mondays???
      ..blinker fluid
      ..exhaust samples haha..

Cars
      '06 WRX, '07 Triumph Bonneville, '80 Yamaha IT425
      01-21-2020 03:40 PM #14
      These CAN absolutely be purchased with paperwork to be road legal.

These can be purchased on government auction sites for well under 10K. I know someone who has bought a couple, fixed them up a little and flipped them for a decent profit.

16. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-21-2020 03:47 PM #15
      Flaming piles. No thanks.

Pass.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Cars
      2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
      01-21-2020 03:49 PM #16
      When we took the tactical driving course in up armored 998s my buddy failed the brake test when he failed to stop in time and smashed through a fence

18. Member
      Cars
      2015 Ford Focus 1.0, 2008 MINI Cooper S
      01-21-2020 04:06 PM #17
      An LS Swap with a supercharger would solve a lot of problems.

Cars
      Fusion Hybrid
      01-21-2020 04:32 PM #18
      Yikes! this thread. My only experience with these is driving a brand new civilian convertible one that one of my Dad's buddies bought. (he was in military reserve at the time and was impressed with their performance) Aside from being super wide and at the time the most expensive vehicle my 16 year old self had driven, I have no input. I didn't know these were disliked.

I guess I would have a hard time buying one like this knowing how much Jeep or F150 you can buy for 15k though.
      This is only temporary, unless it works. - Red Green

01-21-2020 04:37 PM #19
      They have no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Not true- the hood is nice and wide so I could sleep across it instead of on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Josh

1-12-5-8-3-10-6-7-2-11-4-9

Cars
      2006 Ford Fusion 2.3 Turbo, 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid
      01-21-2020 04:55 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by E365 View Post
      An Duramax Swap with an Allison would solve a lot of problems.
      FTFY

22. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-21-2020 06:01 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Egz View Post
      FTFY
      Did the later military Humvee's have the Duramax? I know the "civilian" model did, which doesn't mean anything, but for some reason I want to think some of the later trucks did get the Duramax that were in service.

Nevermind. I looked it up, I had read an article a while back that said the vehicle replacing the Humvee will be powered by the Duramax. I just read it again.

Yeah, the 6.5L they put in these were trash. Good friend of mine who spent a few years deployed in the desert said it got so bad they just started keeping full power units in stock. They did supply runs across the border and back, and they were in use so much downtime wasn't an option, and there was always downtime. So as soon as one of them would start to act up they'd just replace the motor. Everyone hated them.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

01-21-2020 06:37 PM #22
      If you like military surplus trucks, you've got way way more selection over at https://www.govplanet.com/ . Looks like they've got 13,000 items for sale right now with 89 AM General products specifically to choose from.

Cars
      Hot hatchback coupé heaven
      01-21-2020 09:48 PM #23
      Nah, if you're going all out might as well get a deuce and a half.

Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: 1955 Customline 351C | 1970 TR6 262Olds | 1977 Capri Cologne | 1980 Rabbit AAZ | 1984 C30 350 | 1988 Scirocco 9A | 1988 Scirocco LP7Y | 1992 Pickup 22RE | 1997 D21 KA24E | 2000 Grand Marquis Modular
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

Cars
      Old/German/Broken
      01-22-2020 10:16 AM #24
      ^ Can confirm. My redder-necked brother owns one of these and they're actually useful and fairly reliable.
      Graphic & Web Design, Photography, Branding, Typography - www.darkenergydesign.net

Cars
      4 Cars, 30 cylinders, 2 turbos, 1500hp and 23 gears
      01-22-2020 10:22 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      Did the later military Humvee's have the Duramax? I know the "civilian" model did, which doesn't mean anything, but for some reason I want to think some of the later trucks did get the Duramax that were in service.

Nevermind. I looked it up, I had read an article a while back that said the vehicle replacing the Humvee will be powered by the Duramax. I just read it again.

Yeah, the 6.5L they put in these were trash. Good friend of mine who spent a few years deployed in the desert said it got so bad they just started keeping full power units in stock. They did supply runs across the border and back, and they were in use so much downtime wasn't an option, and there was always downtime. So as soon as one of them would start to act up they'd just replace the motor. Everyone hated them.
      someone should buy it an do a tesla swap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast