Fourtitude.com - TCL, please stop me from making my Once-Every-Ten-Years Automotive Mistake!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
      01-21-2020 12:26 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      Interesting. I had a 2012 GTI and then a 2016. At least with the Performance Package and DCC suspension, I couldn't disagree more.

The MQB platform is much more stable, quieter at freeway speed, and has much improved traction and damping over the Mk6. And there is no comparison in terms of the brakes (Golf R brakes on a car that's 250lb lighter with the PP). I always felt that my Mk6 was underdamped and underbraked in stock form, and the Mk7 totally eliminates both issues.

I'd not recommend another GTI for Vad anyway.
      Fully agreed. Drive a Mk6 and Mk7 back to back and the differences are obvious.

But also agreed, no more GTI for Vad.
      Matt
      2018 Toyota Highlander SE AWD, Midnight Black Metallic/Black
      2018 Four Winns H210 / 5.3L Volvo Penta V8 300 / DPS-A Duoprop drive

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      S60, Z/28
      01-21-2020 12:33 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Did he say he had them done at the dealership? Because they would print out a history of it then. I never kept paper work for oil changes done at dealer because I knew they had the history on it.
      No, that was the issue - none of the services were performed at the dealer. Maybe smart since the car had minor mods, but no records? Obviously that raises questions...
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

4. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-21-2020 12:35 PM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by MylesPH1 View Post
      No, that was the issue - none of the services were performed at the dealer. Maybe smart since the car had minor mods, but no records? Obviously that raises questions...
      Gotcha.

5. 01-21-2020 12:50 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      Fully agreed. Drive a Mk6 and Mk7 back to back and the differences are obvious.

But also agreed, no more GTI for Vad.
      I've driven them back to back, along with a modded PP and R, the mk7 is better, I just didn't feel non-PP car was that much better to go back to car payments again after having paid off my mk6. I'm not going back to an open diff fwd turbo car ever again.

I have pondered the PP pack + additional front camber mods vs adding an LSD + camber plates on my mk6 as modded MK7 PP GTI I drove addressed the main issues with my mk6, but as a modder I still think the mk6 is an LSD and better damping options away from a mk7. Even then, I still don't feel like the mk5 to mk7 gti's felt special enough on an emotional level to me, it feels like a very good tool to have, but not something that says wow, I love this car a lot. But vad has a 993 for that sort of fun
      Last edited by Aw614; 01-21-2020 at 12:56 PM.

Cars
      4 Cars, 30 cylinders, 2 turbos, 1500hp and 23 gears
      01-21-2020 12:57 PM #55
      Why not skip the AWD and check out a e90 or e92 m3?

1st gen SQ5's are another outside the box option if AWD is mandatory

7. 01-21-2020 01:01 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboREX View Post

The e90/e92 is going to sit at his mom's house due to a rod bearing failure...

Cars
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      01-21-2020 01:13 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      The e90/e92 is going to sit at his mom's house due to a rod bearing failure...
      No, that's why you do the 88c900t strategy-find a car that the previous owner spent their money on. Works every time (so far.....)
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

9. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      01-21-2020 01:19 PM #58
      If you don't mind a coupe you should absolutely be looking at M240i's.

Much cheaper used than M2, more usable with AWD and adjustable suspension, nearly as fun.

10. 01-21-2020 01:19 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      No, that's why you do the 88c900t strategy-find a car that the previous owner spent their money on. Works every time (so far.....)
      This is vad we're talking about

11. Member
      Cars
      2019 G70 6MT; 2019 i3 REX; 2005 S2000; 2003 XC70; 1966 GTO
      01-21-2020 01:44 PM #60
      This fits all your criteria. You could even get one new (with an amazing warranty and service) for under your price cap:

Quote Originally Posted by DUBLUV401 View Post
      I am not here for grammer lesson's

Cars
      Ferrari La Ferrari
      01-21-2020 01:47 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by GTI 20v View Post
      This fits all your criteria. You could even get one new (with an amazing warranty and service) for under your price cap:

I thought this was another Alfa suggestion at first. The genesis is a really good looker imo.
      signatures are annoying, right?

01-21-2020 01:49 PM #62
      You should buy a Tesla Model III, but I really like the idea of you repeating your mistake by getting an Audi. That will give you "what should I get next" post fodder for at least another couple of years.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

14. 01-21-2020 01:56 PM #63
      Go really stupid or go home:

Cars
      S60, Z/28
      01-21-2020 02:18 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by Aw614 View Post
      I've driven them back to back, along with a modded PP and R, the mk7 is better, I just didn't feel non-PP car was that much better to go back to car payments again after having paid off my mk6. I'm not going back to an open diff fwd turbo car ever again.

I have pondered the PP pack + additional front camber mods vs adding an LSD + camber plates on my mk6 as modded MK7 PP GTI I drove addressed the main issues with my mk6, but as a modder I still think the mk6 is an LSD and better damping options away from a mk7. Even then, I still don't feel like the mk5 to mk7 gti's felt special enough on an emotional level to me, it feels like a very good tool to have, but not something that says wow, I love this car a lot. But vad has a 993 for that sort of fun
      Well truly, if he wanted to be economical, keeping the Mk6 and modding it - lsd, flash, new clutch, suspension, etc. - would be a great possibility, and he’s considered it. It’s not like he dislikes the car.
      One Swedish sedan
      One ‘murrican coupe

16. Senior Member
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      01-21-2020 02:48 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      See my previous post saying spend $1-2k. Tune and suspension work will solve those "differences" you mention. No need to go out and buy another car over that is what I'm saying. It's NOT that big of a change to justify IMO.
      $1-2k isn't buying the e-Diff and bigger/higher capacity brakes, though.

But again, this isn't about him keeping his GTI or buying a new one.

01-21-2020 04:43 PM #66
      Vad, skip the S4 and get the D2 Audi S8 like you were meant to 10 years ago. This will undo the karma and restore balance in the universe.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...bout-the-D2-S8

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...based-on-looks

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-parts-catalog

Last edited by bzcat; 01-21-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Cars
      FJ Audi A5
      01-21-2020 05:09 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Maximum_Download View Post
      On Vad's suggestion I loaded up my Golf R into Carvana's appraisal process and promptly got a number I was very happy with.

I sold it to Carvana yesterday, and the process couldn't have been smoother, transparent, and convenient. They came to my house, 10 minutes of paperwork over coffee at my dining room table, and the car was trucked away.

If anyone is thinking about it, I highly recommend giving them a try.
      While the Carvana offer I got for my R was higher than the trade quotes I got (and one dealer even agreed to match their offer) that offer wasn't high enough to account for the tax savings of trading it for less.

What are you replacing the R with?
      2019 Audi A5 - back to the brand after 28 years
      2017 Golf Alltrack SEL+Tech - Son #1. In a galaxy far, far away
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - Wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - Son #2. The sax-mobile
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette - I promise to get this car back on the road in 2018....

Cars
      A Fancy Nissan
      01-21-2020 05:39 PM #68
      Despite the grey audis' technically being identical to your search parameters 10 years ago, the reliability of a volvo S60R makes an OG Allroad look like a reasonable choice relatively speaking.

An S3 or S4 is not a mistake unless you don't like the car. The S3 is, in my opinion, the much more fun option because its more spritely than the larger S4. The S4 however is faster, smoother, comfier, its a sporting GT car and that S/c v6 is a hell of a motor (tune and pulley is well over 400hp) that so far has proven to be quite reliable.

Also, you'd be surprised at used S5 prices. They recently got my attention, there are about 12 near me (South Florida) in the 2012-2015 and 20-40K mi range going for $22K-$30K.
      Quote Originally Posted by DzlDub View Post
      Cars are ****ing awesome, anyone who doesn't want a car is a communist.
      Disclaimer: Generally, I strongly dislike people.
      Current: 18' Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
      Prior Vehicles: 13' E92 335i M-Sport l 04' E46 330ci SMG l 04' MKIV GLI 1.8t 6spd

01-21-2020 05:47 PM #69
      If you can stretch a couple thousand, there are a good amount of ATS-V manuals out there.
      2013 Miata Club

21. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-21-2020 05:50 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by JustinCSVT View Post
      If you can stretch a couple thousand, there are a good amount of ATS-V manuals out there.
      I hear from reputable sources that these are fun as hell.

Okay, there's only one source, and it's Brendan, but I trust him... Mostly.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Cars
      08 Infiniti Guido35x, 74 Datsun Z
      01-21-2020 06:53 PM #71
      Performance is a relevant thing.

A 200hp Civic to a new driver is a rocketship.

Everyone has personal tastes as to what is acceptable in a daily driver. I don't know why you are so worried about ticking all the boxes when you have the 993 as a fun car outlet?

I'd rather have a weekend car to just cruise and enjoy that has some character. And then something to thrash on the track and get it out of my system.

Daily?

Give me 300+ hp, AWD for our ****ty winters, comfort for 4 adults, a little luxury and i'm happy.

Make a short list of the most important items to you and shop that.

You aren't the same guy you were at 29. At nearly 40 i'd assume you're more mature and your wants in a daily have changed, as has your life.

You likely identified really hard with what you drove every day at 29. I'm hoping at 39 you're more practical.
      Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      yes, i am bored by FWD driving dynamics, and anyone who doesn't drive there cars to the limits and the beyond.

23. 01-21-2020 08:57 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboREX View Post

I've owned a lot of the cars in question, including an e90 M3. Currently dailying a mk8.5 SQ5 that I bought last year on a bit of a whim as we were rotating cars to get my wife into a Macan. i'm pretty blown away by the 3.0t and tuned ZF8 in the SQ. It's a beast. And very tunable. Several folks running deep into the 11s with simple bolt-ons. I've resisted the urge to tune while mine is still in the Certified warranty, but I'm not going to be able to resist for long.

I've been through the first couple generations of S4's (including a b5 and b6 avant) and am honestly surprised by how much I'm loving the SQ. I hated the idea of them (Q5's, SUVs, etc) back when I was running the Avants but IMO it's probably closest in spirit right now to the early rowdy Audi wagons.

We drove the B9 SQ5 before buying the Macan and barely got out of the parking spot before my wife wrote it off because of the drop in interior quality from her 2010 Q5. Had to agree with her.

If given the choice of grabbing the keys for my wife's Macan S or the SQ, it's the SQ every time. with the exception of the ride/handling balance it's got the Macan beat on fun.

YMMV. Enjoy.
      '10 997S, '16 SQ5, '18 Macan S. Many departed fun cars.

24. 01-21-2020 09:10 PM #73
      You’re going to get bored with most of the Euro cars again, even my 62 year old father yawns at the thought of one of those; he’d rather drive my STI and destroy his bad knees every day.

Get something more chaotic while you’re young enough to enjoy it every day; Mustang GT, scat pack, hellcat, M4, C63..

or be dumb like me and get an STI and dump $10k into it to build it and make 400+whp with pump gas, you’re never gonna have a dull day and it will go through any weather.. but there is no comfort mode.
      Last edited by Ilikewaffles; 01-21-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Cars
      15 Rav4
      01-21-2020 09:19 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by bzcat View Post
      Vad, skip the S4 and get the D2 Audi S8 like you were meant to 10 years ago. This will undo the karma and restore balance in the universe.

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...bout-the-D2-S8

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...based-on-looks

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-parts-catalog

Having Ronin flashbacks

Cars
      A Rabbit with a snail.
      01-21-2020 09:37 PM #75
      Go drive a Model 3 Performance.

Or even just a dual motor.

It’s basically an RS3 for built for LA.