Fourtitude.com - How bad is revving a COLD engine??????
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 67
    1. 01-14-2020 05:45 PM #1
      Noticed while going for a leisurely walk that many an uber driver likes to warm up a cold engine in 20 degree weather by revving to redline quite a few times. How bad is this engine wear wise or does it not affect the modern engine much???

      Saw it done on a few toyota camrys felt bad for the mercedes metris as those probably fall apart even without the abuse.

      Last edited by ImpeccableNEW; 01-14-2020 at 05:48 PM.

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 23rd, 2005
      Location
      Columbus, Ohio
      Posts
      13,681
      Cars
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      01-14-2020 05:48 PM #2
      On modern engines with synthetic 0W-20 oil it's probably not a huge deal. Especially a Toyota.

    4. Member vwpiloto's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 26th, 2006
      Location
      Orange County, CA
      Posts
      11,410
      Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      01-14-2020 05:49 PM #3
      The Camry is likely using 0W-20, so it's not as bad as something running thicker oil, but it's still not ideal if you care about your engine.....or the environment for that matter as the catalytic isn't up to temp either.

    5. Member DerSpiegel's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 20th, 2008
      Location
      World's #5 Economy
      Posts
      3,449
      Cars
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      01-14-2020 05:49 PM #4
      You interact with Uber drivers and ice cold engines regularly?

    6. 01-14-2020 05:56 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      You interact with Uber drivers and ice cold engines regularly?
      Lol this was exactly my thought. Is there like a Uber get together??

    7. 01-14-2020 05:57 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by DerSpiegel View Post
      You interact with Uber drivers and ice cold engines regularly?
      On my walk I pass by many taxi depots (area has about 5-6 taxi shops that rent/lease ubers)

      I know theyre cold due to the high idle

      One gentleman seemed to have been featured on hoonigan he sat on the rev limiter for a good minute , as a car guy it hurt me
      Last edited by ImpeccableNEW; 01-14-2020 at 06:01 PM.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 15th, 2017
      Location
      Memphis
      Posts
      216
      Cars
      1999 Escalade
      01-14-2020 05:57 PM #7
      considering that pistons, when cold, are rattling around the block and smacking metal which, when warm, would be a closer fit (yes I know the oil helps). You are asking for trouble.

    9. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      13,045
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-14-2020 06:03 PM #8
      Cheap car you don't care about? Pft, why not?

      Something a bit older, say.... European? Yeah, no. It's going to warm up before passing 3,000 RPM's.
      Instagram - efrie004

    10. 01-14-2020 06:33 PM #9
      If the car has a turbo it can be bad, you can damage the turbo cuz it hasnt had time to cycle oil through it yet

    11. Member adrew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 15th, 2003
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      18,279
      Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      01-14-2020 06:54 PM #10
      My Yaris had it rough when we lived in these apartments for a few years.

      My parking space was in the red circle (that is actually it) and I had to pull out and quickly get up to 60-65 MPH. I'd let it idle for 30 seconds or so when it was really cold but I'd usually hit at least 4500 in 1st when pulling out into traffic, sometimes winding it all the way out (otherwise I'd never be able to pull out).

      But it gets synthetic oil and still runs fine so whatev. That is why I bought it.

      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

    12. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      2,938
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      01-14-2020 07:13 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
      considering that pistons, when cold, are rattling around the block and smacking metal which, when warm, would be a closer fit (yes I know the oil helps). You are asking for trouble.
      Yeah it's reasonably bad. The oil weight is one thing, but as stated here the heat expansion is another. Bearings and rings and pistons all expand at different rates and are designed to be the same size at temperature. Things are either rattling or binding to some degree until that happens.

      That said, in a Camry? Probably not going to destroy too much, it's not high-end and the tolerances aren't going to be pushing limits. By contrast I wouldn't be surprised if a single cold run to redline would destroy an F1 engine. They actually cycle heated fluids before starting them, the tolerances are so tight.

    13. 01-14-2020 07:25 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by ghost03 View Post
      Yeah it's reasonably bad. The oil weight is one thing, but as stated here the heat expansion is another. Bearings and rings and pistons all expand at different rates and are designed to be the same size at temperature. Things are either rattling or binding to some degree until that happens.

      That said, in a Camry? Probably not going to destroy too much, it's not high-end and the tolerances aren't going to be pushing limits. By contrast I wouldn't be surprised if a single cold run to redline would destroy an F1 engine. They actually cycle heated fluids before starting them, the tolerances are so tight.
      I take that short term it wont do anything but perhaps at 150k it might burn oil as opposed to a babied engine. Recently saw an nyc green can woth 325k was impressed

    14. Member worth_fixing's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 23rd, 2009
      Location
      Montreal, Qc
      Posts
      6,758
      Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      01-14-2020 07:58 PM #13
      whenever i see someone rinse the motor out first thing out of the company parking lot

      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      2,938
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      01-14-2020 08:01 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by ImpeccableNEW View Post
      I take that short term it wont do anything but perhaps at 150k it might burn oil as opposed to a babied engine. Recently saw an nyc green can woth 325k was impressed
      Oh yeah. I wouldn't bet on that thing making it to 350k.

    16. 01-14-2020 08:17 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      whenever i see someone rinse the motor out first thing out of the company parking lot

      Good one

    17. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 3rd, 2015
      Location
      So MD
      Posts
      611
      Cars
      2010 Audi S4
      01-14-2020 08:27 PM #16
      Sometimes My mother needs to borrow my now 10 year old S4 and I tell her keep it below 3k till it’s up to temp.... the face she gives me is priceless


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    18. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 29th, 2001
      Location
      Corpitos, TX
      Posts
      3,229
      01-14-2020 08:36 PM #17
      On the same subject, my wife has this new habit of starting her GTI and immediately putting it in reverse to back out of the driveway. Then she started telling me how "all these lights keep coming on" ABS, TPMS, etc..etc... I took her car to run a few errands one day, started it up, let it idle, connect Bluetooth, all good. Yeah...I finally told her she's not even letting the thing figure out wtf is going on with the DSG much less giving the engine 4 seconds to even warm up. It's got less than 50K on the clock and an oil leak already....wonder why???
      '14 F-150 FX4 (bread and butter)
      '11 GTI (wifeys)
      '13 MIATA (dumb modified weekend thrasher)

    19. Member fireside's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 23rd, 2008
      Posts
      2,181
      Cars
      14 focus st
      01-14-2020 08:47 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by forewheel View Post
      On the same subject, my wife has this new habit of starting her GTI and immediately putting it in reverse to back out of the driveway. Then she started telling me how "all these lights keep coming on" ABS, TPMS, etc..etc... I took her car to run a few errands one day, started it up, let it idle, connect Bluetooth, all good. Yeah...I finally told her she's not even letting the thing figure out wtf is going on with the DSG much less giving the engine 4 seconds to even warm up. It's got less than 50K on the clock and an oil leak already....wonder why???
      Nah that's just because it's a VW lol. My wife did that with her first car, an older Kia Rio, for 8 years. No issues.

    20. Moderator Harv's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 31st, 2004
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      19,502
      Cars
      W116 - W123 - AMG - W463
      01-14-2020 08:47 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by acsean792 View Post
      Sometimes My mother needs to borrow my now 10 year old S4 and I tell her keep it below 3k till it’s up to temp.... the face she gives me is priceless

    21. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 20th, 2008
      Location
      In The Woods
      Posts
      13,045
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      01-14-2020 09:09 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by acsean792 View Post
      Sometimes My mother needs to borrow my now 10 year old S4 and I tell her keep it below 3k till it’s up to temp.... the face she gives me is priceless


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      My wife likes to take my car to run errands every now and then, and I always tell her to keep it under 3,000 RPM's until you've gone a few miles.

      She looks at me like I'm an idiot, and I'm sure she doesn't listen to me. Oh well. She pulls out of the driveway nice and easy, which is at least respectable.
      Instagram - efrie004

    22. Member JOHNS92JETTA's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 2nd, 2003
      Location
      Durham
      Posts
      9,944
      Cars
      '92 Jetta 2.1L 16V '08 Mazda3 GT '19 Ram Sport
      01-14-2020 10:00 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      On modern engines with synthetic 0W-20 oil it's probably not a huge deal. Especially a Toyota.
      They even have 0W-16 now.
      InstaGram J92Jcarpic 100% Stance Free

    23. 01-14-2020 10:04 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by forewheel View Post
      On the same subject, my wife has this new habit of starting her GTI and immediately putting it in reverse to back out of the driveway. Then she started telling me how "all these lights keep coming on" ABS, TPMS, etc..etc... I took her car to run a few errands one day, started it up, let it idle, connect Bluetooth, all good. Yeah...I finally told her she's not even letting the thing figure out wtf is going on with the DSG much less giving the engine 4 seconds to even warm up. It's got less than 50K on the clock and an oil leak already....wonder why???
      Your GTI absolutely should be able to do this without throwing cels or leaking oil.

    24. Member ohiodub_99.5's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2007
      Location
      Cinci
      Posts
      10,619
      Cars
      JCW Mini Cooper, 2018 Tiguan
      01-14-2020 10:13 PM #23
      WTF??? who the hell is taking "leisurely walks" in 20-degree weather?
      /| OMGHAI |\

    25. Member devianb's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 6th, 2008
      Posts
      2,439
      Cars
      1988 Trans Am
      01-14-2020 10:20 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by ohiodub_99.5 View Post
      WTF??? who the hell is taking "leisurely walks" in 20-degree weather?
      Jussie Smollett

    26. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 15th, 2017
      Location
      Memphis
      Posts
      216
      Cars
      1999 Escalade
      01-14-2020 10:24 PM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by devianb View Post
      Jussie Smollett
      ga ha ha ... wow... /thread

    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •