'19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      01-14-2020 05:15 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by StressStrain View Post
      These are strange times we live in.
      Wait until Ferrari comes out with one

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. 01-14-2020 05:16 PM #27
      These dont do it for me , about as much visual appeal as an audi q8 not bad but not

Huracan EVO for me

Cars
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, 2020 Ascent
      01-14-2020 05:27 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by absoluteczech View Post
      Wait until Ferrari comes out with one
      It's a foregone conclusion at this point. The only SUV-less automakers will be tiny boutique automakers (like Morgan). Even "add lightness and simplify" Lotus is getting on the bandwagon (well, assuming the Chinese are willing to bankroll their continued existence).

Cars
      '92 Jetta 2.1L 16V '08 Mazda3 GT '19 Ram Sport
      01-14-2020 05:37 PM #29
      I own one.

InstaGram J92Jcarpic 100% Stance Free

Cars
      01 MKIV Jetta 1.8t
      01-14-2020 05:42 PM #30
      There was an old lady who lived in a shoe
      She had so many kids
      Her Urus fell out

Cars
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      01-14-2020 05:57 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      Ask Porsche about the long term consequences of selling the Cayenne... How "short term" are the sales of that vehicle? And has it changed the brand equity of a GT3RS?

The fact is, there are no negative effects and they keep the brands viable to make the fun stuff we enthusiasts love.
      Exactly. And it's hardly "down market" anyway. Cheapest used one in the country is $224k, with most new ones selling between $250-270k. That's pretty much on par with brand new Huracans, except margins are probably at least double.

Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      01-14-2020 06:31 PM #32
      pretty disgusting.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

9. Senior Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Cars
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1967 Bus, 1963 356
      01-14-2020 07:03 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      The downside is that these companies are whoring out their brand equity for short-term sales. You can put a high-end badge on a downmarket, boring platform and it will sell, but what are the long-term consequences?
      Porsche has been in the SUV business for almost 20 years now. Last year, they sold 280K cars, a 10% increase over 2018, and of that Cayenne and Macan accounted for 68.5%. Yup they're sure regretting that decision.
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

01-14-2020 08:05 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
      Actually, Canadians love their high end cars. Canada is one of the top BMW M countries per capita as well. I suspect it's the same with AMG, Porsche, Ferrari, etc.
      I'd be willing to bet it's not Canadians buying those cars, it's the rich immigrants hiding their wealth in Canada who are buying them. I've seen the pictures of entire neighborhoods in Vancouver where nothing is even in English.

Cars
      RS3, JKU
      01-14-2020 08:09 PM #35
      Quote Originally Posted by AZGolf View Post
      I'd be willing to bet it's not Canadians buying those cars, it's the rich immigrants hiding their wealth in Canada who are buying them. I've seen the pictures of entire neighborhoods in Vancouver where nothing is even in English.
      The first part is not really wrong, lots of money laundering for sure.

Second part is... Probably Chinatown? There are also some places in Richmond with Chinese signage everywhere, but there's never no English at all. Richmond is more than 50% Chinese population now.

12. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      01-14-2020 08:56 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      pretty disgusting.
      Better to have Lambo + SUV than no Lambo at all IMO. No need to get upset over cars you will prob never see bought by people you will never meet. The game is the game.

Cars
      '92 Jetta 2.1L 16V '08 Mazda3 GT '19 Ram Sport
      01-14-2020 09:57 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Senior Member View Post
      There was an old lady who lived in a shoe
      She had so many kids
      Her Urus fell out
      ^^^ You, I like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Russells View Post
      The first part is not really wrong, lots of money laundering for sure.

Second part is... Probably Chinatown? There are also some places in Richmond with Chinese signage everywhere, but there's never no English at all. Richmond is more than 50% Chinese population now.
      Greater Toronto Area here.

They are sold like crazy here. Markham was over 50% Chinese when I left in 2014. Some much HK money floating around.
      InstaGram J92Jcarpic 100% Stance Free

Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      01-15-2020 06:35 AM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Better to have Lambo + SUV than no Lambo at all IMO. No need to get upset over cars you will prob never see bought by people you will never meet. The game is the game.
      i know that's where we disagree but this ever-growing SUV marketshare is taking over entirely. And I really hate this thing.

Even Lotus, company of "add lightness" minimalist sports cars, is building an SUV because of the demand for...a performance SUV.

I just don't get it.
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

15. Member
      Cars
      '01 S2K, '18 GSW, '18 CX5 GT
      01-15-2020 07:39 AM #39
      I'm not surprised because they're friggen awesome. A white one would be my first purchase right after collecting my oversized novelty check from the Powerball people.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

16. Member
      Cars
      01-15-2020 08:27 AM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      i know that's where we disagree but this ever-growing SUV marketshare is taking over entirely. And I really hate this thing.

Even Lotus, company of "add lightness" minimalist sports cars, is building an SUV because of the demand for...a performance SUV.

I just don't get it.
      Would you rather a world where companies like Aston/Lotus/etc. don't exist at all? Because that's the only alternative. Then SUVs would REALLY take over, because less and less people are building true to the game sports cars.

17. 01-15-2020 08:48 AM #41
      People like buying cars they can easily get in and out of and offer more utility...Shocking, I know.

18. 01-15-2020 08:53 AM #42
      Can somebody explain the appeal of these 'Hyper SUVs' to me? If I have that much money to throw at a vehicle, I'm getting a focused sports car and a high end SUV, not mixing them together so that it's a worse truck as well as a worse sports car.

19. Member
      Cars
      01-15-2020 09:08 AM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by beefjerky View Post
      Can somebody explain the appeal of these 'Hyper SUVs' to me? If I have that much money to throw at a vehicle, I'm getting a focused sports car and a high end SUV, not mixing them together so that it's a worse truck as well as a worse sports car.
      Hyper SUVs are high end SUVs. With the right tires these will go off road or handle snow pretty well. Obviously not like a Wrangler or w/e but well enough.

20. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      01-15-2020 09:23 AM #44
      Most people don't care about a "focused sports car". Who do you think Porsche sold most cars to 25 years ago? Do you think that today those kinds of people buy a 911 or a Cayenne? They want "A Porsche". The same is true with this. They want "A Lamborghini". That it's more practical so they can drive it more often is just icing on the cake and easily explains the additional sales.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

Cars
      '13 Volt, '20 Bolt, '02 Suburban 2500LT
      01-15-2020 09:51 AM #45

These hyper SUVs can out handle and out accelerate pure sports cars from just 10 years ago. Look at the Urus in the CandD Lightning Lap this year. https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...ap-suv-record/ It's right up there with the sports cars in handling and speed and yet fits real adults comfortably AND has good winter chops... There's a lot of appeal in that sort of capability to a lot of people out there. It's faster than you can use on the street. No need to get a focused sports car when this one already will give you all the speed and ability you can use.

The Urus pulls 1.04 g's in Turn 1; that's more than the M5 Competition manages. And it trucks into the Climbing Esses at 135.4 mph, barely off the speed of the Camaro ZL1 1LE. Rear-wheel steering and a torque-vectoring rear differential help stabilize the Lambo through those menacing transitions at an average speed of 119.2 mph, beating the Giulia Quadrifoglio and the M2 Competition in the process.
      Last edited by Chris_V; 01-15-2020 at 09:54 AM.
      "Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection"

22. Senior Member
      01-15-2020 10:11 AM #46
      I commented to a friend 40 years ago: "why would you buy a Mercedes station wagon?"

23. Member
      Cars
      01-15-2020 10:16 AM #47
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris_V View Post
      No need to get a focused sports car when this one already will give you all the speed and ability you can use.
      I would have thought you of all people would know that in 2020 there's more to focused sports cars than speed and abiliity.........

Cars
      C5 Z06, 19 Golf R, 17 Golf Alltrack
      01-15-2020 10:46 AM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Would you rather a world where companies like Aston/Lotus/etc. don't exist at all? Because that's the only alternative. Then SUVs would REALLY take over, because less and less people are building true to the game sports cars.

Yeah I don't get why people get mad about it. Let the real housewives of _________ drive Urus so they can fund development of the sports cars. Easy math for the automaker.

I'd like to see Lambo's margin by Model, since the Urus is basically an Audi Q8 for many multiples more expensive.

Cars
      2012 A6 3.0T, 2013 BMW 128i
      01-15-2020 12:38 PM #49
      I'd be willing to bet most Urus buyers already own a few cars, so if they want sports cars, they probably already have them. What they probably don't already have is a fast as hell raised DD with fla$h from an exotic car company.

Not hard to wrap my mind around. Picture being very well off, $ to spare, already own the dream Ferrari and special Porsche you want (or special Miata, 4.0 Jeep and AWD manual diesel wagon TCL Holy Trinity), and a Bentley for your long road trips, and the first exotic car company to drop a modern SUV is Lamborghini. I mean... why not spend time in an SUV from an exotic manufacturer? If the rest of my cars are special, might as well get a big exotic-branded daily driver to match.
      Last edited by Shmi; 01-15-2020 at 12:45 PM.

26. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      01-15-2020 12:43 PM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Interesting that per capital sales were higher in Canada than in the U.S.
      Well, Toronto and Vancouver are two big cities with a lot of wealth and a lot of SUV weather (or at least, nearby weather in the B.C. case). Whereas someone in NYC wouldn't have space to park it and in LA wouldn't need it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast