Fourtitude.com - Ceramic coating before clear bra?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Cars
      2014 Mazda3 Sport GS - 1982 Honda CB750K
      12-30-2019 06:17 AM #1
      Hello,

I've heard of many uses of ceramic coatings on top of clear bras, but never the other way around. I'll assume that probably because the clear bra has trouble adhering to the surfacing of something that is hydrophobic. But are there any high quality ceramic coating that can be applied just before the application of a clear bra? Maybe something that doesn't have such a slippery surface?

I'm asking because I'm weary of a clear bra that is left on the bare painted surface of a car panel for years (maybe even more than a decade) in a place with very hot summers and very cold winters (so pretty strong temp variation, expanding & contracting). My current Mazda3 has had its clear bra (Protex) on since 2014 and it still looks great. This question is about a future car I'd probably buy new.

Thanks,
      James
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-metric/286588.png
      Any car which holds together for a whole race is too heavy.

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Junior Member nc_detail_garage's Avatar
      Cars
      B9 S4 / Levante
      12-31-2019 04:31 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by worth_fixing View Post
      Hello,

I've heard of many uses of ceramic coatings on top of clear bras, but never the other way around. I'll assume that probably because the clear bra has trouble adhering to the surfacing of something that is hydrophobic. But are there any high quality ceramic coating that can be applied just before the application of a clear bra? Maybe something that doesn't have such a slippery surface?

I'm asking because I'm weary of a clear bra that is left on the bare painted surface of a car panel for years (maybe even more than a decade) in a place with very hot summers and very cold winters (so pretty strong temp variation, expanding & contracting). My current Mazda3 has had its clear bra (Protex) on since 2014 and it still looks great. This question is about a future car I'd probably buy new.

Thanks,
      James
      You're correct - no ceramic under ppf as it'll adversely effect the adhesion

Don't worry about the paint under the ppf, it'll be just fine. It's worth checking w/ the shop who is doing the ppf and asking about their prep regime as that'll vary greatly.

Best case - paint is decontaminated (clay & iron), polished, and then the ppf. If you're feeling froggy, go ahead and apply a traditional sealant (ie. powerlock) before the film is applied.