VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Ceramic coating before clear bra?

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  nc_detail_garage 
#1 ·
Hello,

I've heard of many uses of ceramic coatings on top of clear bras, but never the other way around. I'll assume that probably because the clear bra has trouble adhering to the surfacing of something that is hydrophobic. But are there any high quality ceramic coating that can be applied just before the application of a clear bra? Maybe something that doesn't have such a slippery surface?

I'm asking because I'm weary of a clear bra that is left on the bare painted surface of a car panel for years (maybe even more than a decade) in a place with very hot summers and very cold winters (so pretty strong temp variation, expanding & contracting). My current Mazda3 has had its clear bra (Protex) on since 2014 and it still looks great. This question is about a future car I'd probably buy new.

Thanks,
James

#2 ·
You're correct - no ceramic under ppf as it'll adversely effect the adhesion

Don't worry about the paint under the ppf, it'll be just fine. It's worth checking w/ the shop who is doing the ppf and asking about their prep regime as that'll vary greatly.

Best case - paint is decontaminated (clay & iron), polished, and then the ppf. If you're feeling froggy, go ahead and apply a traditional sealant (ie. powerlock) before the film is applied.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.