Fourtitude.com - WWYD: commute is about to change drastically
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 228
    1. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      3,068
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 09:26 AM #1
      So after the first of the year I am taking a new job, where I will be working downtown and commuting by train. The train is ~1 mile from my house. And because of parking, in the nicer months I'll probably just get some crappy $50 Craigslist bike and ride down there on that. So now instead of one car that sits all the time I will have two. My wife suggested I just return the Wrongler at the end of the lease and just have the S2000, but I have two kids so a 2 seater doesn't really work for me. The lease is up in 18 months (August 2021) so I wouldn't do anything until around then, but it got the wheels turning. At that point my girls will be 9 and 4, meaning the younger one is out of a car seat and just in a booster. So basically ANY back seat works, it just needs a back seat. My wife will continue to have some sort of reliable SUV to do all the family hauling, mine just needs to be capable of occasionally hauling the girls around town.

      So what to get? The mind immediately jumps to a 911 of some sort. 997 would be the top end of the budget (figure ~$45k) and would work. 996 (I'd want a facelifted one) would probably be damn near just as good for my usage and cuts that number down by $15-20k. I could spend the whole budget and get a nicer 996 (C4S, 996TT).

      That's the obvious answer, what else is there? M3/4? Mustang? Something really cool I don't even know about? Just get another Jeep anyways and keep the S2000?

      Only real stipulations:
      -<$40-45k, less is always more (or equivalent lease, say <$500)
      -back seat
      -reasonably reliable (probably not Italian for instance)
      -I'd like something with less depreciation potential rather than more (or lease)
      -Don't tell me to get some egg-shaped EV, I don't want that, but maaaaybe a Model 3 Performance? Lease? Don't want to be holding an early EV due to potential epic depreciation
      -Would love it to either have Carplay or ability to add Carplay reasonably easily (drop in HU)
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member Tommietank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2009
      Location
      Burlington, VT
      Posts
      2,815
      Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      12-16-2019 09:31 AM #2
      So just to be sure, you are looking for a car with a couple of seats to drive 2 miles a day? And maybe fun weekend duty?
      Slow Car Fast

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Oct 22nd, 2007
      Location
      Syracuse, NY
      Posts
      3,846
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-16-2019 09:32 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      So what to get? The mind immediately jumps to a 911 of some sort. 997 would be the top end of the budget (figure ~$45k) and would work. 996 (I'd want a facelifted one) would probably be damn near just as good for my usage and cuts that number down by $15-20k. I could spend the whole budget and get a nicer 996 (C4S, 996T)
      You already have your answer; may the IMS bearings be fixed and the roads clear of traffic. Shall we start helping you look?

    5. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      3,068
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 09:32 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      So just to be sure, you are looking for a car with a couple of seats to drive 2 miles a day? And maybe fun weekend duty?
      Plus weekend errands around town, etc. Maybe the odd road trip.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    6. Member Tommietank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2009
      Location
      Burlington, VT
      Posts
      2,815
      Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      12-16-2019 09:34 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Plus weekend errands around town, etc. Maybe the odd road trip.
      Well the, Ima say get the egg shaped EV for the daily commute and then a third card for fun weekend duty. Do you really want to start up a 996 to move it 1 mile 10 times a week? There's really nothing better than a beater EV to move that 1 mile. It would cost nothing for years.
      Slow Car Fast

    7. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      3,068
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 09:34 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      So just to be sure, you are looking for a car with a couple of seats to drive 2 miles a day? And maybe fun weekend duty?

      If so, Yea Ima say get the egg shaped EV for the daily commute and then a third card for fun weekend duty. Do you really want to start up a 996 to move it 1 mile 10 times a week?
      But that's kinda the point, why pay for two cars that are going to sit around? Why not roll two cars that I have into 1 car that will sit around. And I don't want the egg shaped EV, not interested.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2010
      Location
      MN
      Posts
      1,478
      Cars
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      12-16-2019 09:37 AM #7
      STI.

      I like the 996 idea. Would your girls be too big for the backseats though?

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 4th, 2005
      Posts
      1,426
      Cars
      2020 Prius Prime, 2016 RAV4 Hybrid
      12-16-2019 09:37 AM #8
      Still 18 months left?

      If you're like me, you'll change your mind a thousand times until then!

      From a 911, to an e92 m3. Or maybe a C63. Never mind that, why not a classic car, an old Porsche, a mint MK2 16v, or, maybe an old 4runner, or why not buy an old Land Cruiser Fj60 and swap in an LS V8.

      Wait no, back to the 911.

      Rinse and repeat for the next year and a half. . Good luck!

    10. Member Yuppie Scum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 23rd, 2014
      Location
      Metro Boston
      Posts
      3,170
      Cars
      2020 Tesla Model 3 LR Dual Motor
      12-16-2019 09:41 AM #9
      If no kids in the equation - I'd just walk to the train and use it as an excuse to buy an impractical RWD sports car

    11. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      27,033
      Blog Entries
      4
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      12-16-2019 09:42 AM #10
      You have 18 months left in your lease and you're worrying about this now? A lot can change in that time. I wouldn't entertain thinking about this until you've got 6 months left on the lease.

      What would you be doing with this car? How long do you plan on staying at the new company? I'd keep the s2k (I'm sure it doesn't cost you much/yr at this point) and buy something like an STI for year-round entertainment. Or perhaps some type of performance SUV if you think you're going back to the current commute.

    12. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      3,068
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 09:43 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by Yuppie Scum View Post
      If no kids in the equation - I'd just walk to the train and use it as an excuse to buy an impractical RWD sports car
      The problem is the time, I drop the girls off in the AM so I'm on a bit of a time crunch. In the summer when a nanny comes to the house, that will be throw a leg over the bike and pedal time. I also have a half mile on the other end to get my walk in
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    13. Just Going with the FLO. Strange Mud's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 20th, 2017
      Location
      Small Town CT
      Posts
      1,643
      Cars
      2017 GTI, 06 Taco, Rusty plow truck, 1955 MF tractor
      12-16-2019 09:46 AM #12
      reported for having (considering) both a nanny and a P car.

      #jealous
      Quote Originally Posted by VigorousZX
      On a side note long term EMF exposure in electric cars causes AIDS.

    14. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      3,068
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 09:48 AM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by 6cylVWguy View Post
      You have 18 months left in your lease and you're worrying about this now? A lot can change in that time. I wouldn't entertain thinking about this until you've got 6 months left on the lease.
      Is that not what we do though? Dream up scenarios where we have to buy new cars and then debate which one to buy?

      What would you be doing with this car? How long do you plan on staying at the new company? I'd keep the s2k (I'm sure it doesn't cost you much/yr at this point) and buy something like an STI for year-round entertainment. Or perhaps some type of performance SUV if you think you're going back to the current commute.
      In 12 months I'll have a better idea and start thinking seriously, this is just kicking off the thought process.

      The S2000 costs me basically nothing to own, but it isn't a viable single car. I already almost never drive it, so I just can't see me driving it more with the new commute. And it's worth a decent chunk of change, maybe ~half a good 996.

      Basically, I already have a good two-car combo, but if I'm going to be driving, I dunno, 50 miles a week, 2 cars feels like overkill, and a good reason to drop to one interesting car.

      The other thing is that my house isn't real conducive to three cars (inc. wife's) because of the two car garage and 2 car wide driveway, that's half the reason I rarely drive the S, I always have to move another car out of the way to get to it. I don't love having three cars, and so this would be a good reason to drop back to 2.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    15. Member Tommietank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2009
      Location
      Burlington, VT
      Posts
      2,815
      Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      12-16-2019 09:49 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      But that's kinda the point, why pay for two cars that are going to sit around? Why not roll two cars that I have into 1 car that will sit around. And I don't want the egg shaped EV, not interested.
      I see it as using the EV as the sacrificial zinc anode on boats. Beat it up, dont love it, but it does the job and costs nothing. And for the weekends, get something cool and nice. I'd personally cringe at driving a 911 without letting it warm up. But i guess you can do both. A Model 3 P is a killer car but pricing is no joke. The normal dual motor AWD used should be in your budget.
      Slow Car Fast

    16. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      3,068
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 09:50 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
      reported for having (considering) both a nanny and a P car.

      #jealous
      The year we had a real nanny (40 hours a week every week, on the books with taxes, etc) is the brokest I've ever been. Summer nanny is just some HS or college girl we pay like $10/hr under the table to.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    17. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      3,068
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 09:53 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by Tommietank View Post
      I see it as using the EV as the sacrificial zinc anode on boats. Beat it up, dont love it, but it does the job and costs nothing. And for the weekends, get something cool and nice. I'd personally cringe at driving a 911 without letting it warm up. But i guess you can do both. A Model 3 P is a killer car but pricing is no joke. The normal dual motor AWD used should be in your budget.
      Even a basic EV still costs, let's say, minimum $10k. And it doesn't solve the problem of me never driving my S2000 because it only has 2 seats and I have 2 kids. So I'd be selling 2 cars to get 2 cars, when I only really need 1 car.

      I also don't consider a $20k 996 something that needs to be babied all that much, I'd use her and abuse her and sell her for $10k to the next guy, so it basically costs me what an EV would aside from upkeep.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    18. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      43,017
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      12-16-2019 10:05 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      Even a basic EV still costs, let's say, minimum $10k. And it doesn't solve the problem of me never driving my S2000 because it only has 2 seats and I have 2 kids. So I'd be selling 2 cars to get 2 cars, when I only really need 1 car.

      I also don't consider a $20k 996 something that needs to be babied all that much, I'd use her and abuse her and sell her for $10k to the next guy, so it basically costs me what an EV would aside from upkeep.
      How long will you have that tiny commute, though? I'd agree with TommyTank in that I wouldn't want to drive a 911 (of any vintage) a distance so short that it never warms up. Cars absolutely hate that and with the prices of 911 parts and service that could be an expensive endeavor.

      Leaf/Volt and 996 or BMW M car. Done. The Volt isn't even a bad place to be if it's big enough for your needs.

      In my personal case in your shoes I'd get a used Volt and a torsion sprung air-cooled 911.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    19. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      3,068
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 10:08 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      How long will you have that tiny commute, though? I'd agree with TommyTank in that I wouldn't want to drive a 911 (of any vintage) a distance so short that it never warms up. Cars absolutely hate that and with the prices of 911 parts and service that could be an expensive endeavor.

      Leaf/Volt and 996 or BMW M car. Done. The Volt isn't even a bad place to be if it's big enough for your needs.

      In my personal case in your shoes I'd get a used Volt and a torsion sprung air-cooled 911.
      I'm really not interested in a two car solution. I already have a good one of those. If I'm going to continue to have one, I will just keep what I have and re-up to a Rubicon for my next Jeep lease.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    20. Member Dirty Hatch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 15th, 2006
      Location
      Chandler,AZ
      Posts
      1,331
      Cars
      06 4runner
      12-16-2019 10:11 AM #19
      Why wait 18 till the end of the lease on the Wrangler? If it's just going to sit there and not really be driven that often, it might be worth seeing what the early lease termination fee is. Since Wrangler's have a high resale, it might be cheaper to pay say a couple grand now, then 18 lease payments. Since you're starting a new job, I would probably wait till April -May before doing that, plus I assume it's better to try and sell a convertible (the S2000) in the Chicago area in the Spring versus the Winter.

      As for a replacement recommendation, I like the 911 idea, but I would also check out a used RS3. I have seen a few pop-up for under $50K. Anyway, congrats on the new job!

    21. Member CostcoPizza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 20th, 2008
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      6,775
      Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      12-16-2019 10:14 AM #20
      Bike year-round and so you can get a 996.

      Otherwise, Model 3 Performance.

      The 996 takes ~9qts of oil, that's not getting anywhere close to warmed up in 1 mile.

    22. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      3,068
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 10:19 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Bike year-round and so you can get a 996.
      Can't really bike year round, I drop my kids off in the AM and don't want to leave a trailer sitting at the Metra, it will get lifted FAST. Otherwise I would bike often.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    23. Member Tommietank's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 6th, 2009
      Location
      Burlington, VT
      Posts
      2,815
      Cars
      2019 Model 3 Performance, 2019 Hyundai Ioniq EV, 2004 S2000
      12-16-2019 10:20 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by CostcoPizza View Post
      Bike year-round and so you can get a 996.

      Otherwise, Model 3 Performance.

      The 996 takes ~9qts of oil, that's not getting anywhere close to warmed up in 1 mile.
      Model 3 P is disgustingly fast. Ask me how I know. Actually you know what, don't buy it. Bc it then might ruin speed for you like it did for me. Everything else under $70k just feels slow. I was hoping to buy a Boxster GTS one day bc I love them. Local dealer took one in, I test drove it, and man did it feel slow. Now I have to settle for Turbo 911s.
      Slow Car Fast

    24. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 4th, 2016
      Posts
      2,036
      Cars
      Unreliable pregnant guppy, 'Reliable' Family Truckster, Plug-in Bulldog
      12-16-2019 10:21 AM #23
      Keeping the AP1? super short commute most of the time? wife has 3rd car for other needs?

      You'll think I'm talking crazy, but keep in mind I've owned an AP1, jeep, and said fancy 911 you'd be considering. I also currently own 2 kids and have 3 vehicles. If I was in your shoes...



      Stupid fun around town, extremely well built, relatively bulletproof in BEV guise. 2700 lbs and RR. I'd at least consider one. They're also like low teens for a kitted out low-ish mileage example. Sock the rest of the cash away for when you can enjoy something else more.
      (edit for less embiggened picture. double edit: this is also assuming you'd keep the AP1, which is what I'd also do.)
      Last edited by zmt2; 12-16-2019 at 10:28 AM.

    25. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 18th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      3,068
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 10:22 AM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Hatch View Post
      Why wait 18 till the end of the lease on the Wrangler? If it's just going to sit there and not really be driven that often, it might be worth seeing what the early lease termination fee is. Since Wrangler's have a high resale, it might be cheaper to pay say a couple grand now, then 18 lease payments. Since you're starting a new job, I would probably wait till April -May before doing that, plus I assume it's better to try and sell a convertible (the S2000) in the Chicago area in the Spring versus the Winter.

      As for a replacement recommendation, I like the 911 idea, but I would also check out a used RS3. I have seen a few pop-up for under $50K. Anyway, congrats on the new job!
      I feel like the RS3 has a long way to depreciate, I kinda want to get away from that sort of thing.

      I could term early, it's entirely possible, but I want to give the new job at least 6 months to make sure it's a long term thing.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    26. Member QUIRKiT's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 19th, 2006
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      1,799
      Cars
      Olga-vagon & Harriet
      12-16-2019 10:22 AM #25
      Not really in the same class as what you are looking for but the Veloster N does meet all your requirements. I can easily fit two full size car seats in the back, seats down I can get my entire drum set or everything I need for a weekend at the track. Plus, I think it's a lot of fun to drive.

      Only unknown right now is depreciation. I would expect it to drop like a rock, but so far it has held it's value. KBB says my car is worth $25k with 6k miles on it, I paid $25k.
      Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Dreadz View Post
      This place is going to hell on a Thule roof rack.

    Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •