Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      Cars
      2017 Chevy Bolt, 2012 E93 BMW M3
      12-16-2019 05:29 PM #76
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      So after the first of the year I am taking a new job, where I will be working downtown and commuting by train. The train is ~1 mile from my house. And because of parking, in the nicer months I'll probably just get some crappy $50 Craigslist bike and ride down there on that. So now instead of one car that sits all the time I will have two. My wife suggested I just return the Wrongler at the end of the lease and just have the S2000, but I have two kids so a 2 seater doesn't really work for me. The lease is up in 18 months (August 2021) so I wouldn't do anything until around then, but it got the wheels turning. At that point my girls will be 9 and 4, meaning the younger one is out of a car seat and just in a booster. So basically ANY back seat works, it just needs a back seat. My wife will continue to have some sort of reliable SUV to do all the family hauling, mine just needs to be capable of occasionally hauling the girls around town.

So what to get? The mind immediately jumps to a 911 of some sort. 997 would be the top end of the budget (figure ~$45k) and would work. 996 (I'd want a facelifted one) would probably be damn near just as good for my usage and cuts that number down by $15-20k. I could spend the whole budget and get a nicer 996 (C4S, 996TT).

That's the obvious answer, what else is there? M3/4? Mustang? Something really cool I don't even know about? Just get another Jeep anyways and keep the S2000?

Only real stipulations:
      -<$40-45k, less is always more (or equivalent lease, say <$500)
      -back seat
      -reasonably reliable (probably not Italian for instance)
      -I'd like something with less depreciation potential rather than more (or lease)
      -Don't tell me to get some egg-shaped EV, I don't want that, but maaaaybe a Model 3 Performance? Lease? Don't want to be holding an early EV due to potential epic depreciation
      -Would love it to either have Carplay or ability to add Carplay reasonably easily (drop in HU)

Why not sell the S2000 and add the proceeds to buy the nicest 911 convertible you can afford?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      12-16-2019 05:33 PM #77
      No in the summer we have a nanny/babysitter who comes to us.
      Honestly, just lease or buy (even CPO)a JL Rubicon, with the dual top package, and you're set. The S2000 scratches the manuals sports car itch, while the JL offers enough amenities to be a decent sorter distance daily, and a fun family car as well for weekend outings, camping trips, etc. Not to say a 997 wouldn't give you satisfaction, and you'll have your wife's CUV for weekend/family duty, but as is, you have the fun car, off-road, and practical car boxes checked (and two convertibles as well).

4. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-16-2019 05:35 PM #78
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      Why not sell the S2000 and add the proceeds to buy the nicest 911 convertible you can afford?
      Nooooo.

Do not do this.
      Instagram - efrie004

Quote Originally Posted by cockerpunk View Post
      maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

5. Senior Member
      12-16-2019 05:38 PM #79
      I mean they're all equally bad at it.
      They aren't though, none are good but they are not all equally bad.

For example something with an iron block cast pistons and port injection is going to do a LOT better with a 1 mile drive than something with an aluminum block forged pistons and direct injection. Especially in a colder climate.

Do you really want to be doing 100 buck oil changes on a 911 every 500 miles just because you are getting a check engine light for a too rich code from all the fuel burning off via your PCV system?

CEL comes on for the same thing in a corolla, if you even bother to check it because 1 mile amirite? You're talking about 15 bucks.

Just a quick example and ignores any real long term damage that this sort of thing can cause.

6. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      12-16-2019 05:39 PM #80
      Yeah, but if we acknowledge no ICE car is really a good 1 mile commute car, and I'm unwilling to buy some dorkwagon EV just to drive to the train station and back daily, what is? I mean they're all equally bad at it. So why not get something fun? If I buy it cheap enough, I don't really care that it will be slightly abusing the car TBH. I wouldn't be buying anything I intended to be a garage queen/concours winner anyways.
      Your new requirements are prefect for electric cars. You may not want one and you may want to roll everything up into a single vehicle, but from my perspective you'd be much better served with a Volt or some such. You could have it warming/cooling the interior via phone app before you get in it, drive it a mile and the oil wouldn't be full of water in a month. Do that to a 911 and it would hate you for it. You not only could get one pretty cheap, but when you're done with this scenario you could, you know, sell it and recoup your losses. Other than having another car (like you do now) I can't see a downside. It may not meet your ideal, but I don't think only one car can.

Don't worry 'bout my opinion, of course. Stack's gotta do what's best for Stack, not me.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Cars
      16 Cayman GTS, 16 Colorado Crew, 19 Bolt, 09 Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      12-16-2019 05:48 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Your new requirements are prefect for electric golf cart.
      FTFY - Even with winter ability and can transport kids.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 05:50 PM #82
      Quote Originally Posted by chris86vw View Post
      They aren't though, none are good but they are not all equally bad.

For example something with an iron block cast pistons and port injection is going to do a LOT better with a 1 mile drive than something with an aluminum block forged pistons and direct injection. Especially in a colder climate.

Do you really want to be doing 100 buck oil changes on a 911 every 500 miles just because you are getting a check engine light for a too rich code from all the fuel burning off via your PCV system?

CEL comes on for the same thing in a corolla, if you even bother to check it because 1 mile amirite? You're talking about 15 bucks.

Just a quick example and ignores any real long term damage that this sort of thing can cause.
      Okay, so that's a discussion we can have. If you want to, for instance, tell me a Mustang with a low-tech V8 would be smarter than a 911, okay, let's discuss that. But let's restrict ourselves to cars that are actually fun to drive.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 05:51 PM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      Your new requirements are prefect for electric cars. You may not want one and you may want to roll everything up into a single vehicle, but from my perspective you'd be much better served with a Volt or some such. You could have it warming/cooling the interior via phone app before you get in it, drive it a mile and the oil wouldn't be full of water in a month. Do that to a 911 and it would hate you for it. You not only could get one pretty cheap, but when you're done with this scenario you could, you know, sell it and recoup your losses. Other than having another car (like you do now) I can't see a downside. It may not meet your ideal, but I don't think only one car can.

Don't worry 'bout my opinion, of course. Stack's gotta do what's best for Stack, not me.
      The downside is that I don't want to spend 99% of my driving time in a Volt. That sounds terrible. I'd rather do quarterly oil changes on a 911.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

Cars
      19 R : 18 ATLAS
      12-16-2019 05:53 PM #84
      I change my vote; sell the s2k and off-load the Wrongler and pick-up an electric thing (cheap/used) for daily duties and get a proper weekend car with more power. If it's a Porsche, great, but I have to think there's summer only cars you'd enjoy driving more (and being seen in) than the s2k (no offense intended, I've loved s2k's for sometime for what they are).

My neighbor has a last gen GT500 and it makes my pants move every time he starts the damn car (from inside my own house).
      https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4468/overview/
      Last edited by Eye Candy White; 12-16-2019 at 06:22 PM.

Cars
      1987 944 S, 2003 S2000, 2011 E90 M3, 2013 Mazda 3, 2014 4Runner Trail
      12-16-2019 05:56 PM #85
      **** it. Go big or go home. Seats 4!

Link. $37,499

Link. $38,999

12. Senior Member
      12-16-2019 06:09 PM #86
      Okay, so that's a discussion we can have. If you want to, for instance, tell me a Mustang with a low-tech V8 would be smarter than a 911, okay, let's discuss that. But let's restrict ourselves to cars that are actually fun to drive.
      Are we talking about a mustang from same era as the 996 or are you talking about getting some new modern aluminum block direct injection one?

engines don't like being started, never warmed up properly, and driven 1 mile.

Fun cars don't come with engines that handle that kind of driving well.

You can get a 996 for about what you could sell your S2000 for so just call that a wash for a second.

A used prius can be had for what you pay in 12 months of jeep lease payments.

Optionally you could sell the S2000 spend that 4-5k on a prius cash and take the rest (I don't know exacts on your S2000 but had 18k in my head as a figure here) that you throw towards a 30-35k 997 that you make payments on that probably would be similar to your lease on the Jeep.

I'm just failing to see why one would want to ruin a good Porsche just to not be in something like a prius for 15-20 minutes a week. You won't be having any fun in an ice cold 911 in that 1 mile anyway.

Ok amendment to the beater plan, you can get like a 99 LS400 for like 4grand. Just cruise in silent comfort for 1 mile for the same price as a prius. Sell S2000 buy LS400 beater, turn in jeep lease, use remaining cash and free'd up montly to finance 997. Best part who cares about the LS just get liability on that bitch and you probably end up saving money overall.

13. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-16-2019 06:11 PM #87
      One thing about electric cars is instant heat.

Instant heat would be super nice in Chicago.
      Instagram - efrie004

maybe its just me, but i wouldnt put anything in the circle of "unrealistic" when it comes to sex.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 06:11 PM #88
      Are we talking about a mustang from same era as the 996 or are you talking about getting some new modern aluminum block direct injection one?

engines don't like being started, never warmed up properly, and driven 1 mile.

Fun cars don't come with engines that handle that kind of driving well.

You can get a 996 for about what you could sell your S2000 for so just call that a wash for a second.

A used prius can be had for what you pay in 12 months of jeep lease payments.

Optionally you could sell the S2000 spend that 4-5k on a prius cash and take the rest (I don't know exacts on your S2000 but had 18k in my head as a figure here) that you throw towards a 30-35k 997 that you make payments on that probably would be similar to your lease on the Jeep.

I'm just failing to see why one would want to ruin a good Porsche just to not being something like a prius for 15-20 minutes a week. You won't be having any fun in an ice cold 911 in that 1 mile anyway.

Ok amendment to the beater plan, you can get like a 99 LS400 for like 4grand. Just cruise in silent comfort for 1 mile for the same price as a prius. Sell S2000 buy LS400 beater, turn in jeep lease, use remaining cash and free'd up montly to finance 997. Best part who cares about the LS just get liability on that bitch and you probably end up saving money overall.
      Because the whole point is if I'm going to drive so little, why not collapse my 2 fun cars into 1 fun car. The goal is not to collapse two reasonably fun cars into a different fun car, and one that sucks.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 06:13 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by Cabin Pics View Post
      One thing about electric cars is instant heat.

Instant heat would be super nice in Chicago.
      One of the things I'm going to have to adapt to is that my morning will go like this:

-cold car
      -cold walk to train
      -cold wait for train
      -warm train
      -cold walk from train to office
      -warm office

As a guy with, umm, significant thermal mass who heats up quick, I gotta figure out how to be warm outside but not overheating on the train. Being cold in the car for the 5 min isn't a huge concern.

12-16-2019 06:19 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by vwpiloto View Post
      **** it. Go big or go home. Seats 4!

Link. $37,499

Link. $38,999
      Some seat 2 (like they should)

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 06:26 PM #91
      Evoras are tits but 5-figure clutch replacements are too rich for my broke ass.

18. Member
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      12-16-2019 06:27 PM #92
      Can you get a used Evora S for that kind of money? If so, and you live near a dealership, that would be my pick. If not then 911 or S550 Rustang GT

19. Senior Member
      12-16-2019 06:41 PM #93
      Because the whole point is if I'm going to drive so little, why not collapse my 2 fun cars into 1 fun car.

Because as noted fun cars don't do one mile well, especially in cold climates.

A lot of porsche engine problems are blown out of proportion (and I hate to add on to that) but you're like I"d like to buy a car with known engine problems that cause catastrophic failure and make sure I hit all the key points that might be the cause. It just doesn't make sense.

The goal is not to collapse two reasonably fun cars into a different fun car, and one that sucks.
      I understand but not all goals are reasonable and while we can all say oh it's just money you might really just be throwing money away for nothing by destroying a fun cars engine doing really boring 1 mile drives with it. I just find it hard to encourage someone to do boring things with nice vehicles that can ruin them.

You don't have 2 fun cars now, you've got a boring ass stock jeep and an S2000 you didn't even drive this year because it doesn't' work with your daughters. So you are replacing an appliance with a fun image with a very logical and purpose built commuter lot beater and a fun car you can't use with a fun car you can use.

Cars
      2018 VW GSW 4motion - 2016 500 Abarth 5MT booty call
      12-16-2019 06:41 PM #94
      YOLO

12-16-2019 06:52 PM #95
      You don't have 2 fun cars now, you've got a boring ass stock jeep and an S2000 you didn't even drive this year because it doesn't' work with your daughters. So you are replacing an appliance with a fun image with a very logical and purpose built commuter lot beater and a fun car you can't use with a fun car you can use.
      CTFO

Cars
      13 Golf TDI, 09 Speed Triple, 06 RX8, 02 M3, 98 C2500, 94(98) CP Camaro
      12-16-2019 07:41 PM #96
      I don't need an M3 and an RX8.

Buy one of them.

Cars
      1998 New Beetle. 2019 GSW
      12-16-2019 08:47 PM #97
      How about a cargo bike?

24. How do I resize a picture? Cabin Pics's Avatar
      Cars
      2004 E46, 2019 Q7
      12-16-2019 09:08 PM #98
      I think starting a cold car, and shutting the car off cold is quite simply one of the worst things you can do for any vehicle.

Even my $1,500 BMW gets up to operating temps before the motor is shut off, even if my destination is only a few minutes away. I’ll drive around the block a time or two extra.

It’s hard on any vehicle, let alone something like a finicky ass 911. If it’s a lease, who gives a ****. But if it’s something you’re actually buying to keep, then I’d never do what you’re recommending. I figured you’d have something else for the 1 mile commute.

Granted, it’s your money, and thus you can do whatever you want with it. I’d probably go ahead and buy the 911, then buy some **** box from a guy we know at a certain dealership. Use that for the cold 1 mile commute.
      Instagram - efrie004

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 09:09 PM #99
      If you think a convertible Wrangler and a ****ty low-end EV are on the same plane of appliance, we clearly don't have anything to discuss because our viewpoints are way too far apart.

26. 12-16-2019 09:16 PM #100
      Didn't we already just do this thread?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast