Fourtitude.com - What new or cpo compact suv would you buy to keep beyond the warranty period?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    1. Member
      12-15-2019 11:30 PM #1
      The wife bought a new to her car last year, but last winter there was ONE DAY it snowed enough that she couldn't get to work. A coworker picked her up in a Jeep, and now that end of year deals are happening and it is snowing again, she's talking about trading for a small SUV. Never mind trade in value on the car she has is $5k less that what she paid for it.

Her brother works at the local VW dealer, and she test drove a Tiguan and liked it. Like I said above, the depreciation on the existing car sucks, but what can you do? It's the wrong time of the year to sell her car on CL or FB, plus does anyone that's not a dealer sell a newer car on those sites?

So, her requirements:
      It goes when you step on the gas. Equinox does not do that.
      Heated seats.
      Sunroof/Moonroof.
      Maybe remote start.

Her candidates -
      Tiguan
      Nissan Rogue (her daughter has one)
      Honda CRV
      Toyota Rav4
      Mazda CX5

No Ford, Dodge or Jeep.

I'm looking for a trade in that's satisfied with the car she has, doesn't drive on the driveway before shoveling the snow off it, and makes sandwiches.

Your thoughts?

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2020 Toyota 86
      12-15-2019 11:41 PM #2
      Rav4 hybrid

4. Member
      Cars
      982, F22, E88, etc.
      12-15-2019 11:42 PM #3
      Does she have snow tires now? If not, that’d be a lot cheaper and possibly more effective too depending on the situation.

Otherwise, out of those my choices would be CR-V, Tiguan, and CX-5, in no particular order. Rogue is pretty meh and the RAV4, while not a bad choice, is kind of vanilla.

Cars
      W116 - W123 - AMG - W463
      12-15-2019 11:43 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by rockfan4 View Post
      Honda CRV
      Toyota Rav4
      Tough to go wrong here. Also check out the Honda HRV as well. Drives and feels bigger than it looks.

Cars
      2012 Mustang GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX, 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
      12-16-2019 12:14 AM #5
      CX-5 or RAV4.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      People have been complaining about modern BMWs lacking steering feel so they are adding torque steer.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

7. Banned
      12-16-2019 03:12 AM #6
      Ummm, snow tires. Seriously. Just get a package from Tire Rack and some bags to carry, transport, and store the other set when not in use.

But if she's hell bent on spending unnecessary money: Rav4 Hybrid.

Stop right there. Do not pass Go, do not collect $200.

Cars
      '18 Camry, '08 Outback, '02 K1500, '98 M3, '91 GTI
      12-16-2019 07:58 AM #7
      So, her requirements:
      It goes when you step on the gas. Equinox does not do that.
      So am I right I’m guessing that she already has a compact SUV but is not AWD?

I can see getting a new car to change form factors, etc. but if she wants to change JUST to get AWD yeah I would try a set of snows first if you’re concerned about the cost of switching.

However, I get living in a locale where swapping to winters for the 1-2 days of winter weather can be hugely impractical, the bad news is that it also makes the argument for AWD pretty irrelevant too. Those are the days you just stay home (if you have a job where you can do that) or you bite the bullet and swap tires for a short amount of time.

Just my .02

9. Banned
      12-16-2019 08:13 AM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Stevo12 View Post
      So am I right I’m guessing that she already has a compact SUV but is not AWD?

I can see getting a new car to change form factors, etc. but if she wants to change JUST to get AWD yeah I would try a set of snows first if you’re concerned about the cost of switching.

However, I get living in a locale where swapping to winters for the 1-2 days of winter weather can be hugely impractical, the bad news is that it also makes the argument for AWD pretty irrelevant too. Those are the days you just stay home (if you have a job where you can do that) or you bite the bullet and swap tires for a short amount of time.

Just my .02
      Or, you put Nokian WR G4 tires on the car and be completely done with it. No seasonal swapping, just superb all weather tires that will more than take care of that "one day" of the year.

None of this is rocket science--or tens of thousands of dollars expensive.

And I will say, FWD-car-based AWD on factory tires will be as useless to her on that "one day" as is her current setup.

10. Banned
      12-16-2019 08:15 AM #9
      I'm looking for a trade in that's satisfied with the car she has, doesn't drive on the driveway before shoveling the snow off it, and makes sandwiches.

Your thoughts?
      I think you're a smart man to be looking for that particular trade.

Cars
      14 focus st
      12-16-2019 08:20 AM #10
      Hmf.. I'd echo what everyone else says and just go snow tires, but I know how that is. The logical decision isn't always the right one in circumstances like this . Plus, at least in my experience, once she is set on something new, it's gotta happen.

So with that being said, I'd shop CX-5, Rav 4 and CR-V. We shopped those + a Kia and ended up with a CX-5, but see what she likes. Make her test drive all of them and choose - that's what I did, so I wouldn't hear "I hate this because blah blah and you made me pick this one" two years down the road LOL.

12. Member
      Cars
      2009 BMW 328it, 2017 Acura MDX
      12-16-2019 09:14 AM #11
      Wow, this could be a shopping list for my wife. We haven't found a good option yet, we currently own a Rogue though. She's meh on it and I dislike it.

Rogue pluses:
      -Excellent seats. Best of the CUV class, they're really nice.
      -Excellent fuel economy, we're averaging 29.1 for a FWD model.
      -The price is very right. This CPO Rogue was 5 grand less than everything else we looked at.

Rogue minuses:
      -CVT
      -CVT
      -CVT
      -Road noise isn't that awesome, we have to raise our voices to talk to each other over 80mph.
      -Build quality isn't awesome, and it feels flimsy. The hood shakes over 70mph and it rattles.
      -Steering feel is very artificial, but nothing in this class is good except for the CX-5, so I'm not sure its worth mentioning.
      -Its slow, but all of these CUVs are, so not sure its worth mentioning.

Cars
      '12 MINI Clubman S '99 BMW 328ic
      12-16-2019 09:22 AM #12
      I drove a new CR-V the other day and quite liked it.

But yeah, take her out to a nice dinner, buy snow tires, and tell your wife that she just received a $5000 bonus

Cars
      Lifted G-wagon, lifted AWD Prius
      12-16-2019 09:54 AM #13
      I was going to say 2015-2017 Infiniti QX50 (it "goes when you step on the gas" way better than anything on your list), but so far, my experience with my recently-purchased 2016 has been less than encouraging. I'm pretty sure my situation is an anomaly, but let's just say that I'm glad it's CPO and in warranty. In general though, they are supposed to be extremely reliable. I'd check one out... though I'd make sure it's AWD instead of RWD. I can't imagine an open diff + RWD is good in the snow.

A responsible and realistic choice would be a CX-5 Touring or GT. I almost bought one. It's not fast, but it is responsive. If you want a Rav4, get the hybrid. I'd probably skip the others.

Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 09:56 AM #14
      2G RDX. Has a tiny amount of badge appeal, goes really well for an SUV, as reliable as an anvil, costs nothing to run.

My wife has put 75k miles on hers and had basically zero problems.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

16. Member
      Cars
      2020 Prius Prime, 2016 RAV4 Hybrid
      12-16-2019 10:09 AM #15
      If she doesn't like her car, there's not much you can do.

But if the only problem is grip, get her winter tires immediately, she'll be doing better than most SUV's running all seasons...

17. Member
      Cars
      2000 Subaru Outback & 2017 Subaru Outback
      12-16-2019 10:10 AM #16
      A Forester would fit the bill nicely. Bonus points for snow tires.

Cars
      2011 Golf TDI 2 Door 6MT, 1997 VW Golf 5MT, GF's 2008 Rabbit Auto
      12-16-2019 10:12 AM #17
      Golf Alltrack? AWD turbo wagon.

BMW has some pretty cool AWD wagons as well.

Audi A3 hatch/wagon quattro?

As for the already mentioned vehicles... VW has had some "quality issues" according to basically everyone regarding their SUVs. I'm not sure how the Tiguan ended up, but I heard the Atlas has been problematic. As you can tell by my signature, I like VW's, but with all German cars, you need to research a specific year range and model to find out if it'll last. If she's only keeping it for the warranty, get a 2019 VW of any sort for the seven year coverage.

As for the Mazda, I test drove a 2018(?) CX-5 GT. It was manual and had some oomph. I totally dug it, it was just too pricey compared to other options. However, I had a co-worker who was in the same boat I was in. He went to test drive it a second time and found that, above 50mph, road noise became really bad. So if that's going to be an issue, skip the Mazda.
      2011 Golf TDI 2 Door 6MT - 165k - Things wrong 0 -
      1997 Golf 5MT 4 Door - Things wrong - A lot - (project)
      Fiancee's 2008 Rabbit 4 door Tiptronic - 184k - Things wrong 0
      Insta

Cars
      2011 Golf TDI 2 Door 6MT, 1997 VW Golf 5MT, GF's 2008 Rabbit Auto
      12-16-2019 10:15 AM #18
      Oh and as everyone else is saying, winter tires should be the first step, at least try a nice set before dropping big money on a new vehicle.
      2011 Golf TDI 2 Door 6MT - 165k - Things wrong 0 -
      1997 Golf 5MT 4 Door - Things wrong - A lot - (project)
      Fiancee's 2008 Rabbit 4 door Tiptronic - 184k - Things wrong 0
      Insta

Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      12-16-2019 10:17 AM #19
      RAV4 or RAV4 hybrid

NA engine and regular automatic on the non-hybrid (the hybrid has a transmission that acts like a CVT, but it isn't a CVT mechanically)
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

21. Geriatric Member absoluteczech's Avatar
      Cars
      '19 Alfa Romeo Stelvio, '18 Mazda CX-5
      12-16-2019 10:19 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      CX-5 or RAV4.
      this

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 10:33 AM #21
      FWIW, I wouldn't take a new 4cyl CUV over the V6 RDX.
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

23. Banned
      12-16-2019 10:40 AM #22
      I would say that if she does end up getting something AWD, you should *still* put either winter tires on it for winter, or all-weather tires like the Nokian WR.

If she got put off from driving one day that someone else could get through, then the simple addition of AWD by itself won't solve the problem.

Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-16-2019 10:44 AM #23
      I get what you guys are all doing with the snow tires comments and I don't disagree, but I bet the OP has a tough time reversing the "sedans = bad in snow, SUVs = good in snow" in his wife's brain. It just ain't going to happen so it's pretty futile in my experience.

Blog Entries
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      12-16-2019 10:57 AM #24
      We're just about 9 years and 150k miles into our 2011 Hyundai tucson AWD. It's about as boring of a vehicle as you can get, but it's been a very good car for us. It's also really good in the snow, but then again, we don't get a ton of snow here either. I have no problem recommending one of these.

26. Member
      12-16-2019 11:24 AM #25
      a set of winter tires is the most sensible option - because you are going to need to buy a set for the SUV or CUV anyway.
      If you live in the mountains and get 1-2 feet of snow over night, my opinion is different

From a proactive prospective, not only are SUV's and CUV's less safe for the driver and passengers, but for everyone else around them, especially in the snow.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast