Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Fourtitude.com

1. Junior Member
      Cars
      2012 VW JSW; 2018 Camry
      12-08-2019 11:44 PM #1
      I have a 2012 JSW with 2.5L. The car was purchased new. It got routine oil changes with Castrol oil and VW filter. I think I treated it well. It has been running well with no issue.

In this morning, I started the car as usual. I noticed the engine started weaker than usual. I heard loud knocking sound from the engine. I swear this was the first time I heard this sound. I knew 2.5L usually starts loud, however, this was very different noise. The knocking was so loud and made me feel the engine was going to die. I shut down the car immediately, and checked the oil. Nothing was wrong. I restarted the car. I still heard strong knocking from the engine. The exhaust gas was smelly and definitely not burned well. I decided to let it run for a while. After about 10 minutes, the knocking slowly disappeared. I took it out for a spin. It seems running smoothly with no check engine light. I drove it for an hour and did not notice any major issue. Later in the day, I did not hear that knocking sound anymore when I started the car.

A little more information. This car was not driven for 1.5 days. I did move the car last night from my garage to the driveway, which was basically a quick start and stop (maybe 2 minute). I did not notice anything weird. The outdoor temperature at night was chilly, about 50.

Should I let a shop check this car? What may go wrong?

Thank you for your help!

2. Remove Advertisements

Advertisements

3. Member
      Cars
      2011 Jetta SE
      12-12-2019 02:45 PM #2
      Do you have this noise in a video record? Have you replaced ignition coils and plugs since 2012? Any stored fault codes?
      Last edited by Ronny Bensys; 12-12-2019 at 02:47 PM.