VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Swapping a 2wd diff for a 4wd for TDI 4motion retrofit?

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MrDave 
#1 ·
I’ve been planning a 4motion swap for awhile now, and I’m pretty sure I’ve gotten everything in order as far as what to expect when doing one. The most common thing I’ve seen is people will get a whole new transmission and drop that in. But to be honest I would prefer to not have to ship a whole transmission from Europe to complete this swap. So my question is does anyone have any experience using a 4wd diff in a 2wd transmission? Preferably with a dq250 transmission. I’ve heard everything from things working smoothly to the awd transfer case not fitting so I’m just trying to straighten things out.

#2 ·
DQ250, so a 6spd DSG.

The angle drive can only be added if the case has the mounting spots for it, AND if you have the correct 4mo diff.
So you might need to pull the trans apart to drill/tap for the angle drive and replace the diff.

It might be easier to take a 4-mo DSG trans from a tiguan, R, sportwagon, TT, or 2.0TQ A3 and swap over the gearing.
Remember, the VR6 uses a different bell housing, and the angle drive mounts to the bell housing casting, so a 4-mo trans from a VR6(R32, R36) will be of limited help.

To do this without breaking a transmission open, you'll need the 4-mo DSG TDI trans from Europe.
There are quite a few sources to get the parts you need easily.

Good luck.

-Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.