Fourtitude.com - Fifth Gear hates the Jeep Wrangler.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 25 of 32
    1. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      East-10EC
      Posts
      79,777
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      12-07-2019 05:35 PM #1

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      2,568
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-07-2019 05:47 PM #2
      Well they can suck it


      I’ll watch later.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Aug 4th, 2005
      Posts
      1,415
      Cars
      20 years of German cars led to this: 2016 RAV4 hybrid, 2020 Prius Prime
      12-07-2019 06:04 PM #3
      Funny they bash the Wrangler for being a rough diamond, brash and unrefined.

      But every Fifth Gear review of the original Land Rover Defender they somehow manage to excuse the medieval oxcart driving experience, because, you know, it's an old school off-road truck, like the Wrangler.

      Can't blame them, they're just giving the British public what it wants, America bashing.

    5. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      East-10EC
      Posts
      79,777
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      12-07-2019 06:08 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser
      Can't blame them, they're just giving the British public what it wants, America bashing.
      They put the least off road experienced driver behind the wheel to complain about it feeling disconnected WHILE off roading.
      It's painfully intentional.

    6. Member NashGTI's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 7th, 2006
      Location
      Nashville, TN
      Posts
      1,491
      Cars
      04 Expedition, 72 Pontiac Catalina, 12 Fusion V6, 72 Yamaha XS-2, 06 CBR F4i
      12-07-2019 07:27 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Dubveiser View Post
      Can't blame them, they're just giving the British public what it wants, America bashing.
      Judging from what I've seen in videos that seems as true as anything.

    7. 12-07-2019 07:43 PM #6
      It's a Jeep thing, they wouldn't understand.


    8. Member mach250's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 8th, 2005
      Location
      Tampa
      Posts
      871
      Cars
      2019 BMW M550i
      12-07-2019 07:47 PM #7
      came out the gates just hating on it, yes its a brick going down the road but it has its uses.
      Previous cars: 2016 VW GTI PP - 2015 VW GTI - 2004 VW R32 - 2001 Subaru Legacy B4 STI - 1997 Nissan 180SX Type-X
      My Flickr

    9. Member 4th Branch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 5th, 2007
      Location
      NorCal
      Posts
      502
      12-07-2019 08:44 PM #8
      I love the look of Wranglers and have always wanted one lifted on big tires to drive around suburbia but they are just too small inside. I sat in every new 2020 model on display at the SF Auto Show recently and there is not a single model that has decent legroom, I'd last maybe 30 minutes in the driver's seat before I would have to pull over to stretch. I have seen kits/aftermarket seat rails but that means it's basically a 2/3 passenger vehicle.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 19th, 2015
      Posts
      1,582
      Cars
      small car that does it all, incredibly reliable too
      12-07-2019 09:53 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by mach250 View Post
      came out the gates just hating on it, yes its a brick going down the road but it has its uses.
      True, especially during WW2 it had its uses, after that, well it's still here

    11. Member 88c900t's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2014
      Location
      "typical wisconsin rust"
      Posts
      8,955
      Cars
      Skyline GTS-T type M, 17 Focus ST2, Mazdaspeed Miata,
      12-07-2019 10:01 PM #10
      Are these people intending to sound so insufferable and snobbish, or it just a British thing?
      I gave up dailing old and rare cars and became a normie.
      Quote Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
      Gear Patrol, which has as much cred as Paw Patrol
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      88c900t wins again, you really ****ing crush it at listing a ton of cheap options
      Quote Originally Posted by volvohutter View Post
      You'll always get a pass due to your history of owning classy and sophisticated automobiles

    12. Member MGQ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2002
      Location
      The City (:-l)
      Posts
      10,680
      Cars
      Fusion Hybrid
      12-07-2019 10:05 PM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by 4th Branch View Post
      I sat in every new 2020 model on display at the SF Auto Show recently and there is not a single model that has decent legroom, I'd last maybe 30 minutes in the driver's seat before I would have to pull over to stretch.
      are you extremely tall?
      This is only temporary, unless it works. - Red Green

    13. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      East-10EC
      Posts
      79,777
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      12-07-2019 10:35 PM #12
      To be fair.. I think Chrysler has terrible diesels for European market use.
      The European market 300C had a similar engine (and was also trashed by the,, Jason even pulled trim pieces off.. but it took effort and was stupid and I still haven't forgiven him).. was slow, unrefined, and not even very efficient.
      A poor engine (for the piece) can make anything feel less than good.

    14. Member r_fostoria's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2009
      Location
      York, PA
      Posts
      7,405
      Cars
      2002 VW Golf
      12-07-2019 10:45 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      To be fair.. I think Chrysler has terrible diesels for European market use.
      The European market 300C had a similar engine (and was also trashed by the,, Jason even pulled trim pieces off.. but it took effort and was stupid and I still haven't forgiven him).. was slow, unrefined, and not even very efficient.
      A poor engine (for the piece) can make anything feel less than good.
      Also, I looked it up, and these are the Wrangler starting prices over there:

      Sahara 2.2 MultiJet II 200hp 4x4 Automatic 8-Speed 2-Door: £44,495
      Sahara 2.2 MultiJet II 200hp 4x4 Automatic 8-Speed 4-Door: £45,995
      Overland 2.2 MultiJet II 200hp 4x4 Automatic 8-Speed 2-Door: £46,495
      Overland 2.2 MultiJet II 200hp 4x4 Automatic 8-Speed 4-Door: £47,995
      Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet II 200hp 4x4 Automatic 8-Speed 2-Door: £46,495
      Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet II 200hp 4x4 Automatic 8-Speed 4-Door: £47,995


      £44,495 is $49,205.91. Our base Wrangler starts at $28,045 and comes with a Pentastar.

      That said, the guy with the glasses was acting like a c***.
      Last edited by r_fostoria; 12-07-2019 at 10:50 PM.

    15. Member r_fostoria's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2009
      Location
      York, PA
      Posts
      7,405
      Cars
      2002 VW Golf
      12-07-2019 10:50 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      Are these people intending to sound so insufferable and snobbish, or it just a British thing?
      I'm guessing they're going for the Clarkson vibe of acting like hyperbolic stubborn a-holes. Clarkson is also funny, though. That's the key ingredient to not coming across... well, like the Fifth Gear team do in this video.

    16. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      East-10EC
      Posts
      79,777
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      12-07-2019 11:01 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post

      That said, the guy with the glasses was acting like a c***.
      Jason Plato is an accomplished professional race driver.
      But he can also be an insufferable [email protected]

    17. Member The_Real_Stack's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2016
      Location
      Arlington Heights, the center of the universe
      Posts
      2,568
      Cars
      AP1 and JLU
      12-07-2019 11:08 PM #16
      It would be a lot different if England didn’t have a rich history of off roaders. If they didn’t have the Defender, and only the Range Rover, ok, but they are well acquainted with the Defender, which is not any better then the JL, and potentially way worse.

      That said the 200hp engine sounds like it sucks. And so do the back seat and trunk of the 2dr.
      Quote Originally Posted by Volkl View Post
      My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine

    18. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2000
      Location
      In a minivan by the river with a squirrel and rat
      Posts
      25,204
      Cars
      grey ghost wagon and a 944
      12-07-2019 11:22 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Stack View Post
      It would be a lot different if England didn’t have a rich history of off roaders. If they didn’t have the Defender, and only the Range Rover, ok, but they are well acquainted with the Defender, which is not any better then the JL, and potentially way worse.

      That said the 200hp engine sounds like it sucks. And so do the back seat and trunk of the 2dr.

      I think you are saying they aren't an objective source of information.

      They are not an objective source of information.
      MOEW: ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ Zomg Zombies ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(×̯×)۶ ¯\(°_o)/¯

    19. 12-07-2019 11:26 PM #18
      The Wrangler is the worst automobile, but I loved owning one. Not every decision is rational. If they were, most fun cars wouldn't exist.

      Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

    20. Member SebTheDJ's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 24th, 2003
      Posts
      3,002
      Cars
      2006 Saab 9-3 Aero
      12-08-2019 12:02 AM #19
      They're not wrong. It's a turd.

    21. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2001
      Location
      The Village
      Posts
      24,965
      Cars
      KAR 120C
      12-08-2019 12:32 AM #20
      But...they aren’t wrong.

      Even in the current iteration, they are noisy, the steering is horribly vague, the ride is pretty unpolished, interior space in the two door is mediocre, etc.

      Yes, they are popular, and yes, they are more comfortable now than ever while still being capable. That doesn’t make them a good on-road driver.

    22. Senior Member 6cylVWguy's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 14th, 2000
      Location
      PA
      Posts
      26,713
      Blog Entries
      4
      Cars
      '18 Jeep SRT; '11 M3 ZCP; '94 SLC
      12-08-2019 12:39 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      But...they aren’t wrong.

      Even in the current iteration, they are noisy, the steering is horribly vague, the ride is pretty unpolished, interior space in the two door is mediocre, etc.

      Yes, they are popular, and yes, they are more comfortable now than ever while still being capable. That doesn’t make them a good on-road driver.
      What's a good onroad driver? I rented a 2019 wrangler with the v6. It perfectly fine in most situations. It's far from a performance car, but not much different than a pickup. It's not my favorite vehicle, but i get why they're popular.

      Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    23. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      East-10EC
      Posts
      79,777
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      12-08-2019 12:43 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by SebTheDJ View Post
      They're not wrong. It's a turd.


      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      But...they aren’t wrong.

      Even in the current iteration, they are noisy, the steering is horribly vague, the ride is pretty unpolished, interior space in the two door is mediocre, etc.

      Yes, they are popular, and yes, they are more comfortable now than ever while still being capable. That doesn’t make them a good on-road driver.
      Ok.
      What can I get new for 40k in the UK that can match it's capabilities?

    24. Member adrew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 15th, 2003
      Location
      Texas
      Posts
      18,283
      Cars
      '12 Yaris, '17 Corolla
      12-08-2019 01:33 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Ok.
      What can I get new for 40k in the UK that can match it's capabilities?
      https://www.toyota.co.uk/new-cars/la...c-c71e5533e983
      Improving the signal-to-noise ratio

    25. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 16th, 2005
      Location
      East-10EC
      Posts
      79,777
      Cars
      '18 RCSB EB F150
      12-08-2019 02:35 AM #24
      I actually thought of that when I posted.
      Would be an interesting head to head comp.
      Tho the cruise ship gets expensive when equipped in better than basic Yob form.

    26. Senior Member
      Join Date
      Sep 11th, 2000
      Location
      MA
      Posts
      27,256
      12-08-2019 07:33 AM #25
      Quote Originally Posted by 88c900t View Post
      Are these people intending to sound so insufferable and snobbish, or it just a British thing?


      I picked up a multi-CD boxed set on the history of music at a library book sale. It is an old British radio series put to CD and boxed. Each CD is an interviewer, a music historian, and samples of the period's music. One CD is especially over-the-top British.

      "You have the bah-rock peer-ee-odd (baroque period), and you have the ray-neigh-sance (renaissance)." (say with over-the top British accent overstressing each syllable).
      Last edited by Cooper; 12-08-2019 at 07:37 AM.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •