Fourtitude.com - What I.C. Engine Should People Experience Before 1-Litre Hybrids and Electrics Take Over?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up

    Fourtitude.com


    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Results 51 to 74 of 74
    1. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      31,927
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      12-09-2019 10:32 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      Give me a triple or V twin making the same power instead.
      The V2 needs to have a specific firing order or else all of the Harley guys will think you are including them. You aren't including them are you? Are you? Please don't include them.
      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

    2. Remove Advertisements

      Advertisements
       

    3. Member G60ING's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 27th, 2000
      Location
      Annapolis Area MD
      Posts
      15,733
      Cars
      2010 3.6 4-Motion CC, 1990 G60/TDI/R36 Corrado
      12-09-2019 10:51 AM #52
      I know of one little girl that would vote for the 3.6 VR6:


    4. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 18th, 2018
      Posts
      5,131
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      12-09-2019 11:09 AM #53
      Quote Originally Posted by Metallitubby View Post
      The V2 needs to have a specific firing order or else all of the Harley guys will think you are including them. You aren't including them are you? Are you? Please don't include them.
      Haha fair point. Yes, it's gotta be a 90 degree V, a 270 degree parallel, or whatever the **** angle Aprilia uses. But my favorite motorcycle cylinder count has to be the 3 cylinder. Nice honk induction with the right level of feel under load. If I buy another bike it will be a STriple

    5. 12-09-2019 11:13 AM #54
      The stand-out engines I've experienced (ignoring the car around them). These are the ones with the sound, character, power delivery that made me want to floor it all the time and rev it out just to experience the motor.

      S38 I6
      M96 flat 6
      13B
      Ducati twin, 2v, 4v they're all great
      VFR V4 with gear-driven cams
      the F355 V8 - stand-out even among the Ferrari V8s with 40V, 8 ITBs, 8750 redline
      S85 V10
      current Hemi V8s - 5.7, 6.4
      _________________________________________________
      current: '18 Giulia Ti Sport, '19 HRV Sport
      ig:wiscocrashtest

    6. Member yeayeayea's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 29th, 2005
      Location
      So MD
      Posts
      11,611
      Cars
      02 M5, 01 M3(x2), 00 528i, 92 Toyota 4WD Pickup, 88 4Runner ,02 Sequoia, 91 Jetta, 95 gsx600
      12-09-2019 11:23 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by Dirtmvr View Post
      No, I mentioned a CBX a while back...it’s just you guys are too young to know what is is!
      I gave you the head nod when i saw your initial post. one of the best sounding bikes ever made. The also mentioned Aprilia v4 is also heavenly, a few buddies have aprilias and they sound perfect.


    7. 12-09-2019 12:47 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Off Pump View Post
      A big block V8 getting on the cam right after the secondaries open up. It's just such an experience. It just rips and snorts and pulls and sways. And then letting it engine brake....oh man what a sound.
      Agreed 100%. I am so glad I chose a big block for my Grand Prix rather than a small block. Yes, I have driven multiple 4-cylinder cars with relatively high redlines (7000-7500 rpm) and while they are fun and engaging for a four banger, they are nowhere near as visceral or emotional as an old-school 454.



      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      a V12 engine.
      I've read more than once that, if you're into cars, you must experience a V12 before you die. I've still never driven or even ridden in one. Maybe someday.

      On that note, a late '70s to early '80s Jag has got to be the cheapest point of entry into a V12, hands down. But, then you've got an old pile of a Jaguar. I just don't think that will end up being a rewarding path to V12 ownership. Does anybody here on TCL own a V12 Jag?
      Dempsey Bowling
      Sales Consultant at Doug Smith Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram/Subaru/Kia/used
      My fleet: 91 Miata (5.0L swap project), 98 Wrangler Sport, 01 Suburban 2500 8.1L, 80 Grand Prix LJ 454, 86 GLHS #75, 13 Leaf SV

    8. 12-09-2019 12:52 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      I've read more than once that, if you're into cars, you must experience a V12 before you die. I've still never driven or even ridden in one. Maybe someday.

      On that note, a late '70s to early '80s Jag has got to be the cheapest point of entry into a V12, hands down. But, then you've got an old pile of a Jaguar. I just don't think that will end up being a rewarding path to V12 ownership. Does anybody here on TCL own a V12 Jag?
      I have wondered about the late XJ12 cars. Just as the 750il isn't *that* bad to own and isn't any worse than the V8, I wonder if the Jag is the same. They certainly had time to sort out issues - that engine is OOOLLDD
      _________________________________________________
      current: '18 Giulia Ti Sport, '19 HRV Sport
      ig:wiscocrashtest

    9. Geriatric Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      42,349
      Cars
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      12-09-2019 01:09 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      I have wondered about the late XJ12 cars. Just as the 750il isn't *that* bad to own and isn't any worse than the V8, I wonder if the Jag is the same. They certainly had time to sort out issues - that engine is OOOLLDD
      I wonder about using modern EFI on something like that. It seems like it would cure a lot of ills as long as you had reliable 12 volt power. Perhaps that's still a tall order for something English, though!
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 18th, 2018
      Posts
      5,131
      Cars
      '16 TLX SH-AWD- NA is BEST
      12-09-2019 01:54 PM #59
      I feel like a Raspberry Pi could handle the electronics of a 20-30 year old car. Would just be a matter of building that harness and boot up times. I hope someone is able to bridge that gap and extend the lives of some of these things.

    11. Member Meroving1an's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 19th, 2007
      Location
      San Francisco, CA
      Posts
      1,342
      Cars
      Present: 991.1 GT3 Past: ND MX-5, GVB STI
      12-09-2019 02:37 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by freedomgli View Post
      I was starting to get worried that TCL was slipping. It wasn't until half-way down page 2 that someone mentioned a V12 engine. That should have been the 1st or 2nd post in this thread. In the hierarchy of reciprocating piston ICE, the more cylinders the better.
      DB9s are so (relatively) cheap these days, too. But, I only have room for one high-maintenance car in my life...

    12. Member masa8888's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2003
      Location
      Reston VA
      Posts
      8,370
      Cars
      2019 Audi Q8, 2000 911 Carrera, 2005 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro
      12-09-2019 02:46 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      On that note, a late '70s to early '80s Jag has got to be the cheapest point of entry into a V12, hands down. But, then you've got an old pile of a Jaguar. I just don't think that will end up being a rewarding path to V12 ownership. Does anybody here on TCL own a V12 Jag?
      When I think V12 as a bucket list engine, I'm specifically thinking Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Aston Martin. The silky but lazy V12's in older BMW's, Mercedes-Benz, and Jaguar luxury cars are not what come to mind. Just my opinion though.

    13. Member Karl_1340's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 1st, 2017
      Location
      Ottawa
      Posts
      734
      Cars
      2018 ATS 2.0T 6 speed manual, 2014 RDX, 1989 VW Cabriolet
      12-09-2019 02:58 PM #62
      Quote Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
      RZ350 with a 398 fully matched, ported with chambers.


      Quote Originally Posted by Dirtmvr View Post
      No, I mentioned a CBX a while back...it’s just you guys are too young to know what is is!
      I caught that one, and agree based on sound.


      The 1340 in my old Busa was not anything special on the aural side of things, but the wave of torque it produces is just ridiculous.

    14. Member freedomgli's Avatar
      Join Date
      Mar 26th, 2002
      Location
      USA
      Posts
      11,948
      12-09-2019 03:48 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post
      On that note, a late '70s to early '80s Jag has got to be the cheapest point of entry into a V12, hands down. But, then you've got an old pile of a Jaguar. I just don't think that will end up being a rewarding path to V12 ownership.
      The older I get, the more I like Jaguars, and the less fearful I am of them. They certainly have the lowest cost entry point, which means you'll have to put in lots of sweat equity. But the fact they're so cheap makes them even more appealing to me. Their V12s have racing pedigree. Perhaps not as iconic as the straight sixes descended from the Jaguar C- and D-type racers. But strong nonetheless. And the fact that you can build a reasonable facsimile of the motor that went into the XJR 5/6/7/8/9 race cars in your garage for $10k and some skill is really enticing.





      Quote Originally Posted by Cr4shT3st View Post
      I have wondered about the late XJ12 cars. Just as the 750il isn't *that* bad to own and isn't any worse than the V8, I wonder if the Jag is the same. They certainly had time to sort out issues - that engine is OOOLLDD
      Yes, the motor is old and well developed by now. I believe the knowledge base to build a potent Jaguar V12 exists, although with old-timers dying off, who knows for how much longer. Most of the concern seems to be around fuel injection, electronic ignition and emissions controls. With an antique vehicle, one can easily dispense with much of that headache. Many people have gone Megasquirt or even resorted to carburetors. I think the Jag V12 has a lot of hot-rod potential once you strip it down to its bare essentials.



      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I wonder about using modern EFI on something like that. It seems like it would cure a lot of ills as long as you had reliable 12 volt power. Perhaps that's still a tall order for something English, though!
      Lots of Jags have been converted to Megasquirt. It's pretty straightforward all things considered.

      Quote Originally Posted by CTK View Post
      I feel like a Raspberry Pi could handle the electronics of a 20-30 year old car. Would just be a matter of building that harness and boot up times. I hope someone is able to bridge that gap and extend the lives of some of these things.
      Talk about a hobby within a hobby within a hobby. Unless you are a masochist computer programmer, you're much better off with a COTS solution like MS3Pro.

      Quote Originally Posted by Meroving1an View Post
      DB9s are so (relatively) cheap these days, too. But, I only have room for one high-maintenance car in my life...
      I've been eyeing early DB9s. Tons of car for $30k-$40k, but not insignificant risk, either. I'd be going in with eyes wide open and I feel like I'm up for the joy/ pain. Hoping I can make this a reality within the next 2-3 years before prices begin to appreciate.

      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      When I think V12 as a bucket list engine, I'm specifically thinking Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Aston Martin. The silky but lazy V12's in older BMW's, Mercedes-Benz, and Jaguar luxury cars are not what come to mind. Just my opinion though.
      I hear you. Lots of options at myriad price points and any one of these motors can be livened up if you want a more visceral experience. Sure it'd be nice to have $125k for a nice 550 Maranello w/ classic gated shifter. But if you've only got $5k or $10k or even $20k there are still decent choices. A beater W140 S600 or CL600 would be fun for a little while.

    15. Member Kevin RS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2003
      Location
      Denver, CO
      Posts
      2,753
      Cars
      Some New and Old japanese cars and a Couple New and Old Fords
      12-09-2019 04:11 PM #64
      viper's sound so good modified !



      also basically any itb engine -


      my old 92 and 09 vmax sounded pretty good.
      Last edited by Kevin RS; 12-09-2019 at 04:38 PM.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 19th, 2004
      Posts
      730
      Cars
      2016 Ford GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive, 2010 VW Golf
      12-09-2019 04:31 PM #65
      I know the car itself has already been posted, but I never get tired of listening to the sounds in this 90-second video. It is literally the video that made me decide I needed to buy one of these...


    17. I wait in line 4 hours for Pretzels on Pretzel Day Metallitubby's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 20th, 2001
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      31,927
      Cars
      Honda, Ducati
      12-09-2019 04:32 PM #66
      Any F1 engine from the V10 to the 2.4L V8 days:



      * My contributions are not representative of American Honda

    18. Member Kevin RS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2003
      Location
      Denver, CO
      Posts
      2,753
      Cars
      Some New and Old japanese cars and a Couple New and Old Fords
      12-09-2019 04:34 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by Go4Broke View Post
      I know the car itself has already been posted, but I never get tired of listening to the sounds in this 90-second video. It is literally the video that made me decide I needed to buy one of these...


      Such a great sounding engine ! I always turn my radio down and open my windows up slightly when gt350 rolls by

      Any issues with yours ? I was really close to buying one before the type r purchase , excessive oil consumption issues scared me away !
      Last edited by Kevin RS; 12-09-2019 at 04:39 PM.

    19. Member geofftii2002's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 6th, 2001
      Location
      Saint Looouueeee.
      Posts
      15,009
      Cars
      2010 Lexus GX460, 2018 Outback, 1972 BMW 2002tii, 2008 Mini Clubman sent packing.
      12-09-2019 04:45 PM #68
      An 825 cubic-inch T-Head, four-valve inline-six. It is the closest thing to driving a locomotive on the street and unlike anything you've ever experienced.

      6388_5 by geofftii2002, on Flickr
      I spend my days in a 70,000 sq ft wonderland www.hymanltd.com

    20. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 19th, 2004
      Posts
      730
      Cars
      2016 Ford GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive, 2010 VW Golf
      12-09-2019 05:09 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by Kevin RS View Post
      Such a great sounding engine ! I always turn my radio down and open my windows up slightly when gt350 rolls by

      Any issues with yours ? I was really close to buying one before the type r purchase , excessive oil consumption issues scared me away !
      Mine was one of the early models subject to the oil line recall, so the oil cooler lines were replaced at no cost to me. I also had an oil leak from the oil pressure sending unit which cut one of my track days short. (The sensor became loose due to the Voodoo's engine vibrations, I suspect.) That was repaired under warranty though. Other than that, I've had no issues. It uses a little oil, but not enough to concern me... Every car I've ever owned has used oil to some degree. I've done 12 track days on mine, 5 of which were on Hoosier R7 slicks. I bought the extended warranty from Ford, just as additional insurance and for my own peace of mind.

    21. Member Kevin RS's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 20th, 2003
      Location
      Denver, CO
      Posts
      2,753
      Cars
      Some New and Old japanese cars and a Couple New and Old Fords
      12-09-2019 05:38 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Go4Broke View Post
      Mine was one of the early models subject to the oil line recall, so the oil cooler lines were replaced at no cost to me. I also had an oil leak from the oil pressure sending unit which cut one of my track days short. (The sensor became loose due to the Voodoo's engine vibrations, I suspect.) That was repaired under warranty though. Other than that, I've had no issues. It uses a little oil, but not enough to concern me... Every car I've ever owned has used oil to some degree. I've done 12 track days on mine, 5 of which were on Hoosier R7 slicks. I bought the extended warranty from Ford, just as additional insurance and for my own peace of mind.
      Nice ! Sounds like ford has taken care of the little stuff. Hopefully she treats you right ! There is a guy local to me who autox his. He is currently on the 2nd engine. First engine i guess was a big hassle getting replaced. He bought it new and had over 1 qt of oil consumption every 500 miles !!!!

      Anyway back on topic. These subaroooooz don't sound bad (imho) and the h6 and honda j series are something should be driven to appreciate. Having recently been an j32 miata setup for track work i was really impressed - sounded great at WOT







    22. Member
      Join Date
      Feb 3rd, 2003
      Location
      WNC
      Posts
      5,272
      Cars
      2003 VW GTI 20th AE
      12-09-2019 06:11 PM #71
      In the "affordable" price range. Sub $60k

      DB7 V12 with sport exhaust
      S85
      F129B
      S54
      RS3/TTRS
      F20

    23. Junior Member
      Join Date
      Apr 26th, 2018
      Posts
      36
      Cars
      2015 Golf GTI + 2018 Golf AllTrack
      12-09-2019 06:59 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by pawa_k2001 View Post
      In the "affordable" price range. Sub $60k

      DB7 V12 with sport exhaust
      S85
      F129B
      S54
      RS3/TTRS
      F20
      I never drove an F20 S2000, but I had an AP2 with the 2.2 and never thought it sounded particularly great. Still a great engine, obviously. The 2.5 in my SVT Contour sounded amazing once the secondaries opened.

    24. 12-09-2019 07:14 PM #73


      Then we can all feel good about the future

      -- DavidV

    25. Member
      Join Date
      Jan 9th, 2017
      Location
      Nuevo México
      Posts
      373
      Cars
      2008 Passat 6-speed; 2017 Tiguan 4-Motion; 1981 Vanagon
      12-10-2019 01:25 AM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by TurboMinivan View Post

      I've read more than once that, if you're into cars, you must experience a V12 before you die. I've still never driven or even ridden in one. Maybe someday.

      On that note, a late '70s to early '80s Jag has got to be the cheapest point of entry into a V12, hands down. But, then you've got an old pile of a Jaguar. I just don't think that will end up being a rewarding path to V12 ownership. Does anybody here on TCL own a V12 Jag?
      Here is an alternative route to a V12:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pts5iiExFRA

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86srnd73PcA

      Last edited by Alpinweiss2; 12-10-2019 at 01:28 AM.
      Alpinweiß 2
      2008 Passat 6-speed manual
      2017 Tiguan 4-Motion
      1981 Vanagon
      formerly Alpinweiss (Alpinweiß)

    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •